Monitors general

what size is too big?
what is best? ips tn oled?

Attached: pc.png (817x457, 343K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Replacing_T430_screen_with_a_better_one
medium.com/@n4ru/the-definitive-t430-modding-guide-3dff3f6a8e2e
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=126294
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01/lg-announces-its-2019-oled-tv-lineup-plus-an-8k-monstrosity/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Jow Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

I know lets discuss

oled > ips > tn

>>Jow Forums is our personal tech support

>Jow Forums is indian

>hi guise wur t should i buy???plizz tech support????
>lole general btw

>what size is too big?
55" is really the practical limit for both size and 4k resolution, for 1440p you wouldn't want to exceed 32" and for 1080p the limit is 27" This is all kinda subjective though because not everyone is comfortable the same DPI
>what is best? ips tn oled?
OLED = Best everything but has longevity issues and only really exists in TVs atm
IPS = I just want good color and still be able to play games with ok motion I don't care about anything else
TN = All I play is CS;GO and want the best motion but I'm not autistic enough for a CRT
VA = Next best thing to an OLED for media consumption but has shotty motion

>what is best? ips tn oled?
34" is probably as big as you want to go. Depending on how many monitors you want. i got a 37" (non Gysnc) and I still regret it. The ROG 34" seem to be the biggest you can go, since they are Gsync but then you are surfacing some FPS. I think this is the year we're going to see more and better OLEDs that aren't insanely expensive. A friend of mine has that 50" (I think samsung?) monitor, which isn't Gsync and has shittyFPS, but is probably Ok if you have an AMD build.

It doesn't matter anymore.
Everything is 16:9 for media consumption.
Otherwise it's gaymen ultrawide stuff.
16:10 (muh golden ratio) and 4:3 (vertical is top tier for browsing reading papers and programming as it shows several lines but not too narrow like 16:9) are gone or overpriced medical monitors.

You can still find 1600x1200 monitors for almost nothing and Dell still has lots of new models that are 4:3 or atleast 5:4 that take display port.
16:10 never went away either with lots of them still available new

32" 2560x1440 master race reporting in

Modeen displays are overrated, I have 26" 1080 and it's seems too big. I miss 1600x1200.

That's the ROG one right? Fucking take out insurance on it if you haven't already user. I woke up one day to find a crack in mine out of nowhere, and the motherfuckers insisted I broke it myself somehow and wanted $600 to fix it, about $200 less than the fucker actually cost.

Also, does anyone have a good OLED monitor? I've heard they exist but I've never been able to find one anywhere even somewhat decently priced.

VA is better than IPS now.

fuck no

What video card will i need for a dual 38" lg wide screen set up? I dont really game, much, but i would like to, be able to. Mostly do programming and data work

>good enough colors
>some actual contrast
I don't really see nothing wrong

literally any made in the last decade

using 32" 4k screen. Its not too big.
I want 50" 8k next. would be pimp as fuck.

L-fucking-MAO
>having a desktop monitor above 27 inches
>having a 27 inch monitor under 1440p

Anything above 27 inches fucks with multi-monitor setups, the amount of information in you field of vision decreases significantly. If you want a big monitor for movue watching just mount a tv on a nearby wall above the monitors or on the side. Also if you run any 27 inch monitor at 1080p you're a brainlet. 24 inch is for 1080p, 27 inch is for 1440p. You want a 4k monitor? No you don't, get more 1440p monitors or get a 21:9 monitor if you want more space for one single window(I.E video editing).

I was going to write a huge post, but it boils down to this:

Personally, plasmas have the most natural yet vivid picture out of all TVs I've seen, specifically the organic-looking bloom that brights get against mostly dark images and the incredibly wide gamut.

If you insist on current technologies, then either OLED or VA.

OLED is great (other than the burn-in), VA sucks ass

Dell P4317q master race checking in. 42", 4K @ 60Hz is bliss

K.

Attached: 1546447402178.jpg (700x700, 88K)

For 4k, 32 inches is the minimum.
OLED is not a panel type, you mean VA
I like VA for consumption purposes, IPS for work, fuck TN unless you're playing competitive CS

100% or 125% scaling?

>Jow Forums is not a place to discuss monitors in general

>preferring ips glow over TN
is it summer already?

I bought a 43" 4k TV to use as a monitor, no regrets so far, it's pretty comfy with the added bonus of being a TV that I can watch Chinese cartoons from my bed.

in australia

I want to replace the 40pin LVDS very shitty screen Lenovo put in the T420 and replace it with something much better. There are converters that take the 30pin plug from a screen and have the old 40pin LVDS plug you can then connect to the main board. Do they work in some complicated way resulting in a loss of signal? Or is it just something basic?

25 1440p
32 4k
ips

I'm colourblind as shit, so TN panel is always my goto.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Replacing_T430_screen_with_a_better_one
medium.com/@n4ru/the-definitive-t430-modding-guide-3dff3f6a8e2e
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=126294

All that shit is like just your opinion man
even the post your responding to said that size vs resolution was subjective but you make your shit out like it's objective truth

U2719DC

Just ordered last night. Using for work as a game programmer

I have a weird fetish for USB C and Dell monitors so I'm going to climax when this arrives

Attached: monitor-u2719dc-campaign-hero-504x350-ng.jfif.jpg (504x350, 26K)

Attached: monitor_lizard.jpg (2400x1605, 629K)

I got the poorman's version of this monitor and its colors makes me fucking come coming from a TN panel. I can only imagine the beauty of a higher end model. Good buy.

some of my redpills so far:

IPS is a meme for normies who use the screen during work during daytime. They're not good for nighttime usage.

I have this IPS panel next to my shitty lowest common denominator 144hz tn panel (same size same res), I cannot attest to a difference in visual quality, and I watch a lot of films. Except at night where the IPS's milky black colors are more noticeable (not to mention low refresh rate + lag, I'd kys if my main monitor had that)

if you don't need a third monitor for very specific purposes or you don't like using small screens, then you probably don't need it at all. Mine is just sitting there showing crypto prices and chat channels all day.

2 * 24" is ideal, use a VESA desktop mount to make room on your desk (preferably not from china)

30"
16:10
oled

do it apple.

Wanna get into game dev is va ghosting a worry?
Don't want ips glow or to take part in the ips lottery.
Do the darker blacks make anime look better on va?

If you'll ever be working on modeling game assets you need an IPS for the color accuracy, VAs do boost the contrast, which makes the black and white contrast better, but make the colors inaccurate to your viewing.

I have a 1070ti and i5 6500. I want a monitor that is below $300 and primarily for gaming. Recommendations?

>Wanna get into game dev is va ghosting a worry?
This is a weird one because alot of high end gaming monitors are VA and curved ultrawides hold the most abundance of VA panels in the PC market so the motion must not be too horrible
>Don't want ips glow or to take part in the ips lottery.
VA wouldn't have IPS glow but blacklight bleed is still present in VA but since the contrast is so much better it's much less noticeable
>Do the darker blacks make anime look better on va?
I would say yes

>but make the colors inaccurate to your viewing.
If your monitor isn't calibrated it doesn't matter what panel type it is as both panels could come out inaccurate when you get them

I asked this is in the computer building thread but no one responded... any help?

I am trying to find a decent monitor to program on at home. At work i have an imac and a 27 inch 5k lg mac monitor (my work paid for it, i think it was $1,200) but at home i only have a single 24 inch asus TN panel shit monitor.

I was thinking of maybe getting a 2k 27 inch IPS monitor or just something decent now and then when i finally upgrade my shitty old computer from 2012 ill get a really really nice monitor.

But, like i mentioned before, i'm just looking for a "decent" monitor to program on at home. My budget is probably around $300, $350 max. Once i finally upgrade my computer and get a super monitor I would still like use this one as a secondary one.

>what size is too big?
it's entirely dependent on how far away from the screen you sit.

Thanks user, cheers

Ips

I want a 40" 4k oled panel at 120hz for $500.

Yes I can wait

on same boat at this lad only mine gpu is 1060 6gb would also appreciate advice

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01/lg-announces-its-2019-oled-tv-lineup-plus-an-8k-monstrosity/
There big, OLED, 4k, 120hz and even have variable refresh rate but there not cheap
Well there cheap for what you are getting but not $500 cheap

>gaming
what are you doing here?
The 1060 is top tier 1080p60fps GPU though, I'd say that looks best at 24" for balance between size and density. Really that leaves you open to a lot of cheap monitors, look up the pros and cons of panel types but take note all "gaming" features are placebo or useless. Also consider what monitor you have now and how you feel about it in terms of size, colour accuracy and whatever else.

Has VA's smearing got any better? Does high frequency solves the issue?

I personally think the issue is overblown and more depends on specific panels
I had a TN and when to a benq VA and use I did notice some smearing but now I'm on a X900E and I don't see it as an issue
Looking at specific models matters more than anything