/fbt/ - Friendly BSD Thread

Welcome to /fbt/ - Friendly BSD Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about BSD and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly BSD Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out BSD you can do one of the following:
0) Install a BSD distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the BSD distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the BSD distribution of your choice along with Windows or GNU/Linux.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with BSD.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Jow Forums's Wiki on BSD:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:BSD

>What distro should I choose?
eerielinux.wordpress.com/2016/08/20/how-to-choose-your-bsd-os-to-begin-with/
>What are some cool programs?
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/desktop.html
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/bsd/

Previous thread:

Attached: dead pengu.png (800x600, 194K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.freebsd.org/SuspendResume
youtube.com/watch?v=4aevNY9OmXY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for of course it runs NetBSD

>BSD
imagine being so retarded and backwards
install solaris

>slowlaris
No thanks.

>BSD

The tax return software here only works on Windows so unless you are thinking of a hobby to hide away from friends and potential sexual partners I pretty much see no reason for Linux and BSD, despite the fact I am typing this on a laptop running Debian stable.

>The tax return software here only works on Windows
Grow a brain and do it through the mail.

Why? Old thread's only got 56 posts

Because it was filled with arguing and these threads are supposed to be friendly.
Plus it was old.

That's not how that works. People don't like generals as it is, if you clutter the board with duplicates every time someone posts something you don't like you're just going to create more disdain for the very thread you want to succeed.

You're completely right, I'll try not to do it again

>stabbing linux
>yet requires linux programs to be usable
kek

They arent "Linux" programs, they are *Nix programs, but GNU/Linux is the base model for most of this *Nix software development because it's the most popular UNIX-based system (OUTSIDE OF MACOS, #1 POPULAR, WHICH IS BSD LMAO GET FUCKED GNU/RETARD)

yeah, file by mail and get your return in August
fucking boomers

then why they call linux programs that have been patched to run on *bsd as "port" as if they were saying it was made for linux
lmao get fucked mittard

The only way FreeBSD can support Haswell is by using the Linux driver through the Linux compatibility layer

>t. uses openBSD
The fucking gall

>WHICH IS BSD
BSD that hasn't been updated since 2009

Naming one exception to what I said and acting like my whole statement was invalid isnt how this works.
Yes, there are things developed for GNU/Linux only, I didnt deny this - but the majority of "linux" programs I can think of (outside of Steam, Discord, Bitwig, etc.) are not "Linux" exclusive, they are for *Nix systems.

Yeah, macOS is shit, I didnt deny this, it still has a large chunk of the desktop operating system marketing share and is really popular - that was what I was saying, a BSD distribution is the second largest desktop operating system on the market
What's your point man.

I use NetBSD.

Unless you want drivers for hardware made in this decade. BSD would be worthless if it couldn't steal things from Linux.

Works on my machine, faggot

But only with drivers from Linux on top of the Linux compatibility layer.

Haha nah, havent touched "Linux" (not even you GNU/Retards can call it the proper name, GNU/Linux) or "Linux" anything in more than a year.

The drivers for the Linux kernel have nothing to do with GNU rtard

"Linux compatibility layer"
Linux is a kernel is it not
No wait, dont answer that, get the fuck out of my thread with your autistic FUD shit

I will come back once ONE *bsd has a good suspend/resume function that works on a majority of laptops. Today I compiled xorg and KDE on freebsd 12 on a ThinkPad x200 and it still couldn't suspend/resume. I have tried openbsd and even netbsd. All of which I installed just fine, got networking and a desktop. All of which couldn't properly suspend/resume. I love the idea of bsd, and I want to use it, but it's just not there yet.

BSD is bad

>friendly BSD thread
>not a single soul is friendly in even a remote sense of the word
And this is why I love the BSDs.

Yeah, friendly is just a word to bait people into the thread.
its inviting

No.

lol no
Ive never had problems with this. Thats weird.
wiki.freebsd.org/SuspendResume
Try reading the wiki on it

Okay, then stay and become enlightened

first time I see some /comfy/ posting, thanks user

The Linux compatibility layer on BSD still has nothing to do with GNU. I don't know why you're trying to go Stallman on me. Anyway enjoy your abstract way of arriving at the exact same toolchain you get with Linux.

No. Linux is gud.

Then leave.

No.

I was sitting there singing to God in a high pitched voice that only niggers and dogs can perceive. I'm so glad that he was there "Here's my BSD thread..."Danny Bonaduce was helping me "jelping" he get these weird little hairs off my ears with a tweezers. "Holy fucking shit how fun was this?" I fucking know Danny, you gay Hebrew faggot nigger. "Just play with me in my little BSD thread." I can't tell you Danny Bonaduce's scrotum was exposed equally for everyone to understand, just like a gay nigger. Use pkg_add to do things in BSD gay retard faggot fuck face. This thread will work if you post it so much, I use this thead to fuck with my skin with these tweezers and I can't fuck. I saw Danny Bonaduce in my nightmare if you shut your PC off tonight your BIOS chip will fry mother fucker never shut your computer off Danny Bonaduce is a real true nigger he's here at night time touching your toes while you're asleep gay nigger you think BSD can keep you safe? Suck my dick.

Attached: YHVH.jpg (214x317, 11K)

>another general to filter

Attached: 1538960288715.png (1200x1080, 1.02M)

I also wear a gay fitbit when I work out masturbating with ketchup jelq session on IRC nigger clients on MIT license and speak to god directly for reference.

BSD stands for based

>filtering one of the least consumerist generals

Fuck this spam thread, fuck this people. Is the same spamming anti-GNU shit and against Stallman.

Do you think we cannot remember? FUCK YOU! You are all paid to shitpost onn Jow Forums.

Attached: FuckBSD.png (895x429, 326K)

>everyone that likes something I don't is a shill
What a child

Attached: fa.jpg (521x363, 139K)

NetBSD or OpenBSD or DragonflyBSD or FreeBSD for a Thinkpad X230. I use it for web browsing, documenting, musicing and watching.

goddamn this image is so fucking cringy

Imagine being that guy. A fully grown adult. Trying to emulate an already cringy spongebob meme. On top of all of that, being proud enough to let people see it.

Cringy shitpost, cringy reponse.

FreeBSD 12 - may I say - just werks? I have no problems with it since I installed it.

Why the hell would anyone use netbsd?

Why anyone wouldn't?

Who else watch comfy bald BSDbois?

youtube.com/watch?v=4aevNY9OmXY

Cringe pic.
Ok, this is funny.

Attached: 1365316925954.jpg (205x240, 24K)

>*Nix
How to spot a retard.

It's the most Unix like of the big three.