Problems with USB in the past

>Problems with USB in the past
>non-reversable
>type A, type B, mini B, micro B, micro B 3.0, micro A, etc
>Let's standardize USB into a single connector, the type C and solve these problems!
>using the wrong type C cable could kill your device

Can we talk a bit about the failure that is USB type C? I feel like it needs more flak for bringing up new problems even worse than the problems it was made to solve, not to mention the fact that USB 3.0+ isn't even STANDARD on type C and there's a metric fuckton of USB 2.0 type C cables and very few good 3.0+.

Attached: cq5dam.web.1000.1000.jpg (1000x1000, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidauthority.com/usb-type-c-and-3-1-explained-656552/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The problem is the USB consortium not ruling the standard with an iron fucking fist, and people making bullshit cables
Pic related is 90% of all USB-C peripherals, albeit with C they throw in resistors and all types of clusterfuckery to try and get it to work.

There needs to be three classes of cables, and everything needs to be labeled clearly as one of them. Additionally, all boxes should have certified stickers on them, that only the USB consortium can apply, specifying which of the three types it is, after they themselves test them, and no-one should buy anything other than the labeled, tested cables.

Type 1: Classic. "USB-C 2.0"
This is any Type-A to C, regardless if it has 3.0 data lines, or C-to-C with only 2.0 data lines. No resistor fuckery to try and get it to charge faster, just direct connections
Type 2: Charging "USB-C PD"
Any C-to-C that includes USB 2.0 data lines and lines necessary for USB-PD to function. No fucking resistors, direct passthrough.
Must be rated to handle 100W.
Type 3: USB-C Full
Any C-to-C cable with all pins connected from each C to C port, for PD, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, 3.1, alternate mode, everything.

Only variation to these would be "Classic with super speed", that's with all the pins from a 3.0 type a connector hooked up.
No fast charging, no PD, nothing. Cannot advertise any A to C cable, or any cable other than C to C, as for "Charging"

Attached: Bullshit Cable.png (640x640, 234K)

The sad thing is that it is basically too late to do anything about it because of how much product has been produced already.
They'd seriously have to bin tons of stock or have retailers relabel all their inventory to try and solve the problem, but that shit ain't gonna happen.

I had to buy 4 different cables on Amazon until I got one that did QuickCharge and USB 3.0

>there's a metric fuckton of USB 2.0 type C
This was supposed to happen though.
USB-C was supposed to replace everything, even simple USB 2.0 connections.

I agree with the rest you said though.

But 3.0 cables and connectors are backwards compatible with 2.0, apart from the mini and micro ports.
That's the point. You can take a 3.0 type A and stick it in a 2.0 type A and it works. So now that you have standard connectors that support 3.0 on both ends, why put 2.0 hardware on them?
And, yes, it is cheaper but it's also 2019 and USB2.0 is fucking slow. It's time we killed it. And we can start that by killing the unnecessary cables.

Why can't they just use color coding again to easily show different capabilities?

Attached: usb-2.0-vs-usb-3.0-blue-port.jpg (650x434, 51K)

>The problem is the USB consortium not ruling the standard with an iron fucking fist, and people making bullshit cables
Well, you don't really have a choice.
If you set any kind of hard limits on implementations people just won't use it. And even if you do, nothing prevents things like the Switch from existing. (implement the standard so badly it's essentially proprietary)

You forgot type B 3.0

>Must be rated to handle 100W.
That's never going to happen. Cable makers would lie their ass off and we'd have cables burning all over the world.

People sell blue coloured USB 2.0 peripherals, I've even seen it on the USB port on routers. Blue plastic, but just USB 2.0. It's a fucking nightmare.
USB-C became standard the moment apple used it in the retina macbook, and they would have done so even if USB forced them to follow standards
From my research, the switch is fine. There's nothing to say a device can't refuse to function unless it's given 15V. At 5V it can just sit there doing nothing.
The problem was poorly reverse engineered docks, not the original hardware.
Every switch dock is sold with an official compatible power adaptor.
The Switch itself will happily charge off any standard USB-PD charger

Oh right, type B 3.0 is that crazy 凸 shape isn't it?

Which is why, to get the sticker, USB would test them all.
Fuck it, 30W then, or just have the wattage on the sticker. You just don't want a 15W cable plugged into a 50W charger charging a 50W laptop.

Amps is the important thing, really. You can pass higher voltages across the same conductor, but if you pump up the amperage it'll burn.
40V/3A should work find on most/all 3A rated cables as long as they are properly rated. You'd need thickass cables for 20V/5A, which might be what he was talking about.

>too late to do anything
Just have USB announce the sticker program, people will eventually stop buying non-rated hardware.
>If you set any kind of hard limits on implementations people just won't use it
It's already a standard so people have no choice.

That's the one

>Which is why, to get the sticker, USB would test them all.
Because that's really easy and doesn't take any money at all.

USB C's max PD spec is 20V 5A, so yeah.

People pay millions to have their devices certified, $10k per USB cable is fucking peanuts.
This is already happening with USB-C power adapters

Those cables are gonna be THICC.
3A cables are already pretty thick.

>buy an usb-c hub with hdmi and charging for samsung dex
>try it, with an original Samsung fast-charger and usb-c cable
>it took 36 hours to charge the phone without hdmi
>with hdmi, the battery discharge, it's useless
>the hub limits the current to 100mA
help me, Jow Forums

Attached: images[1].jpg (268x188, 5K)

t. retard

sauce?

>there's a metric fuckton of USB 2.0 type C cables and very few good 3.0+.
This isn't really a problem. Producing 3.0+ cables is more expensive, and when 95+% of all uses for type-C cables is for charging, it's good that there's a supply of cheapo cables for the purpose. It's not like it's actuallyhard to find real 3.0+ cables if you do need them.

This never happened.

Idiots who buy fake switch docks then blame the cable?
People who buy USB cables with "SUPER HAXXOR DIODES, SUPER FAST CHARGING!"
People who try to charge their macbooks with $0.99 cables from aliexpress

those problems would still exist for usb-micro and the other variants.

i think the OP was trying to imply that the existence of those various types of USB-A connectors prevents any issues

>but it's also 2019 and USB2.0 is fucking slow. It's time we killed it
If I can't use my cheap AVRs with built-in USB 1.1 hardware anymore, I'd be pretty mad. It's not going to happen in 2019, or in 2020, that 10-cent microcontrollers implement USB 3.0 transceivers.

You really think the Chinese knockoffs are going to be formally tested? How blue-eyed are you?

Micro-USB never carried anything other than 5V.
It's fuckwits trying to plug their switches into 5V Type-A plugs and get the same speed they do from the 15V 3A charger that came with their switch.
The Type-A to C cables just make this worse because, like the pic in , people assume "Well it exists, that means it must work!"
What a fantastic refutation there! No further comment necessary, from now on I'll surely hold my tongue to ensure I don't suffer such utter embarrassment due to my total lack of knowledge ever again!

Have a read of this
androidauthority.com/usb-type-c-and-3-1-explained-656552/

The problem is more the $0.99 aliexpress cables, and the fact that they're relying on components in the cables themselves to negotiate proper charging voltages/current rather than the devices.

USB 1.1 will be supported for years, for as long as USB exists, I imagine.
There's nothing stopping you from getting a USB-C to microUSB cable and plugging it into your micro. Micro only has 4 (shut up) pins, so you can't do USB 3 over it.
The problem is when someone makes a USB-3 series to 3 series connector (Like C to C) and only connects the USB-2 lines, so it cannot function at full USB-3 Speed, cannot be used for USB-PD, and cannot be used for USB alternate mode
No, but if someone wants to make a knockoff, they can. If someone wants to buy a knockoff, they can.
But if someone wants to spend $5-10 on a USB-Certified cable, they just need to look out for that shiny, holographic seal.

Honestly I'm not worried about the Chinese knockoffs.
It's more about products that appear in retail stores. You're taking your own risks by ordering direct from China. And the fact that they will lack certification should act as a flag that you shouldn't trust the cable. (Though they will put knockoff certifications on.)

>and the fact that they're relying on components in the cables themselves to negotiate proper charging voltages/current rather than the devices.
Nyet nyet FUCKING NYET
The C spec says the cable is supposed to be ENTIRELY PASSIVE, the device and charger talk directly to each other, the cable says NOTHING.
Fuckwits want their switches to charge at 5V 2A when plugged into USB-A wall-warts, the switch doesn't bother negotiating with any of the type-a protocols, because it ships will a full spec'd type C charger. But fuckwits still wanna plug it in with type A, so as a solution cable manufacturers put the type-a negotiation in the cable, and let the switch draw as much as it pleases, at 5V.
Plug this into a shitty switch dock and everything goes to fuck.
How fucking hard is it for people to just charge their fucking switches with the cables provided, or with type-c wall warts using C-to-C cables? Fuck.

If your AVR takes a connector that can't support USB3.0+ in the form factor it is, then so be it. Let it remain.
Imagine companies releasing new HDMI or Display Port cables and only supporting some old version of HDMI/DP. Or buying a Cat5 Ethernet cable and they've literally only put two of the pairs for 100Mbit in the cable instead of all four pairs, so it won't work at 1000Mbit even though it should.

>The C spec says the cable is supposed to be ENTIRELY PASSIVE, the device and charger talk directly to each other, the cable says NOTHING.
Resistors are passive dumb dumb.

Then I misspoke.
Cables are not permitted to in any way affect the signals or voltage levels being transferred, nor are they allowed to bridge the pins
They can be nothing than pure conductors, with no intentional resistance

That's just not reality, though. Again, look at the Android Authority link posted before.

>It's time we killed it. And we can start that by killing the unnecessary cables.
I can agree with that.

He's talking about stop selling USB 2.0 ONLY cables.
The USB 3.0 cables are still compatible with your USB 1.1 hardware.
There's no reason to keep producing multiple types of cables when one is compatible with everything.

The most I've heard was a rumor that charging a Nintendo Switch with a Macbook USB-C charger can brick it. No idea if it's real though.

>Fuckwits want their switches to charge at 5V 2A when plugged into USB-A wall-warts
I'm curious.
I plug my Switch with a completely standard (supplied with the Switch Pro controller) USB Type-A to C cable in a 1A wall wart type A charger and the Switch charges (albeit slowly ofc).
In the above scenario, how many Amps is my Switch pulling from the charger, and is there anything wrong with this?

>In the above scenario, how many Amps is my Switch pulling from the charger, and is there anything wrong with this?
1A. The Switch isn't dictating what the charger can supply. The charger is designed to supply up to 1A and the device plugged into it can either take some or all of it, but not make it deliver more.

The weird thing, I guess, is the Switch charging off 5V if it has a 12V charger, but then it has a Li-ion battery so either way it delivers 4.2V (unless there are parallel batteries) to the battery itself, so it must be able to detect the input voltage and stepdown properly (these are not uncommon, things like Arudino have stepdown converters so they can be powered off up to 20V supplies even though they run at 5V).

The only thing I can really think of that would happen if you tried to charge a Switch off a 5V supply is that it wouldn't work, especially if the battery was nearly dead and you wanted to play and charge at the same time.

That sounds more possible. The 60W charger is 20V/3A. Going over the rated voltage of a device can seriously harm it, even if it has protection measures in place, what you might damage are those protection measures, which saves the valuable components but still requires repair.

>if you tried to charge a Switch off a 5V supply is that it wouldn't work
Oh no, that is absolutely what happens.
I only meant charging. Obviously the Switch cannot run from the 5V 1A as it does not deliver enough to make it run. It does, however, charge the battery slowly.

Im surprised when i plugged a mac dongle(pic related) from my friends macbook on my galaxy a5 and shits fucking work

Attached: Apple-USB-C-VGA-Multiport-Adapter.jpg (500x500, 24K)

So glad I stuck with micro usb
Sure they snap easily but they don't have weird compatibility problems and are cheap as fuck to replace usually good quality
Dogshit c on the other hand is horrific and put me off upgrading to a phone without a aux jack

proof needed

Type B is far superior

It'd be more unexpected if it didn't work. It's just a dongle with compatible connector.

send in the police and the National Usb Agency, he's using a non standard cable: muthafukka deserves 10 YEARS TEN FUKKAN YEARS U HEAR MI?

The VGA multiport doesn't use Thunderbolt, it's just a USB device.
So long as the Android device has drivers for the chip in it, it'll work, at least to some degree.

If I plug my USB Ethernet adapter into my Note Edge with an OTG cable the LEDs on the adapter light up at least, but it won't connect to a network through it. On my Sony phone the LEDs don't even light up.

>so it must be able to detect the input voltage and stepdown properly
>Going over the rated voltage of a device can seriously harm it
Nigga this isn't the fucking 80's, devices know what voltage they're getting and know how to handle it.
Fuck, you think apple's charger just outputs a solid 20v all the fucking time?
LOOK AT WHAT THE FUCK USB-PD IS YOU STUPID NIGGER, IT NEGOCIATES
CONSTANT 5V, THE CHARGER TELLS THE DEVICE WHAT OTHER VOLTAGES IT CAN SUPPLY, THE DEVICE TELLS THE CHARGER WHICH ONE IT WOULD LIKE
THAT FUCKING SIMPLE
Fuck me dead, you know you could put 30V into an iPod, right?
Voltage regulators aren't magic, switch battery needs 4.2 volts to charge. You give it 5V 1A? Great, divide 4.2 by voltage, then divide input amps by that. 4.2V at 1.19 Amps.
Input 15V 3A? 4.2V at 10.71 Amps.
NOT FUCKING HARD.
Now CAN a switch run off 5V 1A? Well, given it uses around 6.5 watts median, fuck no, but it sure can charge!
This isn't magic. USB-PD won't brick your shit, NOT using USB-PD and fucking around with passives on a USB-A lead, however, might, because if someone's gonna do that shit there's a fair chance they're gonna fuck something else up as well.

Also, this is going to blow your fucking mind, but know how your phone's battery maxes out at 4.2V? Guess what? If you plug a USB-OTG adapter into it, IT'LL OUTPUT AT 5V! FUCKING MAGIC!

Welcome to USB-C Alternate mode, what's the surprise?

THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES ARE BRAINDEAD FUCKWITS WITH SWITCHES MAKING UP PROBLEMS FOR THEMSELVES

>Certifications have never existed in the past
I'm not saying enforce anything, but if you go in a shop and one cable has "Supa fast haxxor charger!" on it, and the other says "Officially certified by the USB-Consortium to function at the fastest speed permissible by the specification, guaranteed not to damage your device" which do you think most people would buy?

Nice bait
Usb c is a fucking mess there's the whole dac issue if your phone doesn't have one then some do sndu need a adaptor to aux without it and heaps of other dumb shit.
Micro usb + vocc is great u crapple samdroid morons all deserve eachother

Dont buy Chink cables, problem solved.

Well its just a simple $5 dock, there is no reason why it wouldn't.

Are you implying that retail stores won't be selling the knock-offs with fake certifications? If so, you clearly haven't been watching what kind of chargers they sell.

>There's no reason to keep producing multiple types of cables when one is compatible with everything.
Yes there is: cost. USB-3.0 cables are significantly more expensive to produce, as are USB-PD cables. The type-C connector is specifically designed to allow all these variations for this exact reason.

>That sounds more possible. The 60W charger is 20V/3A. Going over the rated voltage of a device can seriously harm it
Why would it go over the rated voltage, though? USB chargers only deliver 5 V until negotiation has taken place, and if the Switch doesn't ask for 40 V, it shouldn't be getting 40 V.

You seem mad.

That looks like my laptop