THE BOOTABLE USB IS READY

THE BOOTABLE USB IS READY

BROS... SHOULD I DO IT?

Attached: explorer_gWt0Q4tIK5.png (88x96, 3K)

install gentoo.

No

install gentoo

That's how mafia works.

Attached: b23nq9p4c2821.png (1920x1080, 510K)

>AMD

no! use ubuntu liveusb or something like that instead for the installation so you can shitpost on Jow Forums and post screens while you install your gentoo

you mean a virtual machine?

amd64

Attached: f7990250a60043abd57e29efd23f7844.jpg (640x775, 67K)

why isn't it labeled amd64?

x86_64

>Who invented x64.

Because Windows cuts off the name
Gentoo can be installed from any live system, he suggests using the Ubuntu one to get a graphical system including a web browser instead of just a tty.

gentoo?

install for real but do it from something that has a browser

I've been wondering could gentoo be installed from within windows 10's WSL?

Attached: 1413913323099.png (1000x1000, 162K)

Facebook meme

Pls no

>gentoo can be installed from any live system
what do you mean? i'm on windows

Super impractical, but in theory, yes. You'd need to use NTFS or any other Windows-compatible FS and you'd need to format the disks from diskmgmt. Supposedly WSL doesn't support chroot, but the plain extracted stage3 *should* be bootable by itself as long as you add a kernel. Additionally you'd have to figure out how to install a bootloader from Windows.
Let me correct myself, Gentoo can be installed from any LiveCD-based UNIX-like system that implements chroot() and supports filesystems Gentoo also supports. This also works if the system is not on a LiveCD as long as it doesn't use the disk that will be used for Gentoo. However, pivot_rooting into a tmpfs is a thing. And even if that is not an option, Gentoo still has one more trick up its sleeve, as it can replace a running system in-place, there even is an official guide for that. TL;DR if it's not Windows, it'll work.

because the drive file system is fat32 and user is using windows

go for it faggot

first you have to format your harddrive

Of course you should. Make sure to put the buttplug in and you wear programming socks

>You'd need to use NTFS or any other Windows-compatible FS and you'd need to format the disks from diskmgmt.
ntfs would be rough as there would be no permissions
>Supposedly WSL doesn't support chroot
this kills that idea
>but the plain extracted stage3 *should* be bootable by itself as long as you add a kernel.
bootable but unworkable if networking needs any additional tools (dhcpcd for example)
>Additionally you'd have to figure out how to install a bootloader from Windows
no need for bootloader if you use efistub kernel. adding the correct boot entry to the uefi might however be nigh impossible

>Gentoo can be installed from any running linux system that has a kernel from this decade and basic shell utilities
fixed that for you.
>as long as it doesn't use the disk that will be used for Gentoo
the disk itself can be in use by the current system as long as you can arange a partition for gentoo to be installed onto

>no chroot kills the idea
If you manage to get around the linking issues, Portage does support custom installation paths that aren't /.
>unworkable
Either see above or punch in IPs manually.
>EFIStub solves the problem but creates another equally big problem
No need to mention it then.
>Linux
Gentoo Prefix for MacOS wouldn't be a thing in that case.
>disk vs partitions
nitpicking desu

>Either see above or punch in IPs manually.
punching in ip numbers doesn't work if your network requires that you use for example dhcp
>Gentoo Prefix for MacOS wouldn't be a thing in that case.
i should have been more clearer then. you can't from a running bsd or os x do the install like outlined in the handbook to get a normal gentoo (linux) because after chroot the tools expect linux syscals to be there. pointing out the niche gentoo/alt is just nitpicking

>amd found your problem, just use nvidia