/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 8639499ec4eaa388c43d54759672ff57.jpg (1295x1812, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

redscapeaudio.com/pages/preview#
kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/sr-lambda-pro.htm
pastebin.com/VggNBLXS
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text/er4xr melanin/
lcbo.com/lcbo/product/the-glenlivet-french-oak-reserve-15-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky/603050#.XDECilVKiHs
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The soundstage on the HD800S is definitely hard to beat but I think the original Stax Lambda Pro has the best fucking imaging I’ve ever heard in my life. And tomorrow I’m going to try the 4070 which is supposed to have even better imaging which blows my mind. Will report back with impressions of course. But HD800S is the best you can get in the magnetfi department followed by Focal Clear, from all the shit I’ve heard so far.

redscape put up their online demo

redscapeaudio.com/pages/preview#

>you cant have both
I guess I'll be forced to buy 2 headphones to compliment each other or just suck it up with one. That's a terrible thing to think about.
I might buy them idk... It's just such a hard decision to pick one or the other when I want both.
I doubt it would EQ well. The HD 600 with a bass boost sounded terrible and just not right. Even with presets recommended it barely made too much of a difference. The thing is the HD 800 soundstage and imaging can't be had on any other headphone I believe so I might just get that and suffer from nobass.
>he lives in japan.
Dumb boomer where is his stax review.
I'll try them if I can. Wouldn't that just do imaging though?
Definitely keep us posted.

5 cents was deposited into your account.

You just can't use an EQ well my dude :^)

W-well you are a poopy face. >_>

I acksually think it sounds better without it on.

The deal with the oldschool Lambdas I guess is that the nobass meme with them is actually real. Expect literally 0 bass impact from drums or subbass. But not having this boomy sound to it gives it the legendary socalled “ethereal” effect and also gives it the ability to make incredibly minute details very apparent. I was auditioning the Lambda Pro with King Crimson’s Red and within the first half of the song I managed to catch a very subtle guitar part on the left channel while I wasn’t even paying attention. I crossreferenced it to the L700 and it was definitely there but much more obscured. The fact that the Lamdba Pro managed to pick out a detail I had never ever heard before so effortlessly is just incredible to me.

Me and my wife!

I can make my 200 dollar headphones sound ethereal too with an EQ. 95% of what you hear is simply FR.

Do I look cute next to you honey?

What does ethereal ever sound like?

A meme.

Attached: 1546655515249.jpg (4032x3024, 2.9M)

It’s not the ethereal sound that makes it detailed. It’s the lack of boomy bass that obscures mid and treble details. You’re free to EQ the shit out of your midfi shitphones until you can make it sound like a gross amalgamation of a Lambda Pro but you’ll never ever get the same thing.
Just imagine taking away any bass or lower mid impact from the sound. It sounds vaguely like listening to speakers but without a subwoofer. The big deal about it is that because of the lack of a physical aspect to the sound it doesn’t have the feeling of “the drivers are next to my head”.

reminder not to reply to mentally ill spammers, here's a filter list for your convenience
/(\w+ are|literally) worse than mid-?fi/i;boards:g;
/^>(headphone)?\s*soundstage[\n\s]>real/i;boards:g;
/(er4(xr|sr)|etymotic|\>xr).*(monkey|chimp|nigger|melanin|(ja|de|ty)'?(qua|mal|ron))/i;boards:g;
/(akg|k[0-9]{3}|(low|mid)-?fi)[^\.\?]*(rated|better|higher)[^\.\?]*(009|stax)/i;boards:g;
/([5s]\s*[t+]\s*[a*]\s*x|009)[^\.\?]*(rated|lower|wors[et])[^\.\?]*(akg|k[0-9]{3}|(low|mid)-?fi)/i;boards:g;
/^[5s]\s*[t+]\s*[a*]\s*x(?!let)([^\.\?\n]+|\?\s*they[^\.\?]+)(terrib|deluded|snowfla|suicid|retard|seeth|trigger|incel|shit|btfo|garbag|trash|degenerat|subhuma|eve[rn] recover)/i;boards:g;
/[^o][5s]\s*[t+]\s*[a*]\s*x(?!let)([^\.\?\n]+|\?\s*they[^\.\?]+)(terrib|snowfla|suicid|retard|seeth|trigger|incel|shit|btfo|garbag|trash|degenerat|subhuma|eve[rn] recover)/i;boards:g;
/(delu(sional|ded)|snowflake|suicidal|retard|seething|trigger|incel|shit|btfo|garbage|trash|degenerate|subhuman|audio(ph|f)ool)(ed|s)?\s*[^o][5s]\s*[t+]\s*[a*]\s*x(?!let)/i;boards:g;
/(subjectiv(e|ist)\s*(moron|scum|retard|idiot)|audio(ph|f)ool\s*(garbage|sc?hi+tphones|scam company)|sennperior|objectively\s*((worse|lower)\s*than|false|better|true|garbage|trash)|scientific\s*fact|(dumb|trigger|retard|delusional)(ed)?\s*audio(ph|f)ool|post[\s\-]*purchase\s*rationalization)|b[eu]yer\s*(dynamic)?'?s?\s*remorse/i;boards:g;

image md5 list
/00o7nbhx6iUxE7TtysrUbQ==/
/oLxGCLfZTfpxJ25q9L75fQ==/
/W75ME/ZvLhRkRIFVObXdpw==/
/Lj3o/wex7sLOydVHx1iB2A==/
/BoDBcJcdUdBdbsS0qYbRfg==/
/fYACv3l0zpcGYowYx0Hmxw==/
/wA0DFYUhCfDZrf7RPWy5+A==/

e......
If I ever get to try them I'll be able to understand it then. Sounds a little interesting.
>It's the sound stage doesn't exist user

Post the pastebin next time so that your updates don’t get filtered by people who have the filter.

imagine spending your time writing complicated regexes to filter out posts on /hpg/

>2019
>still believing in soundstage

It’s tough to describe because even new Stax headphones don’t have that characteristic. They sound closer to dynamics than they do oldschool Stax. So getting a fitting comparison is tough when pretty much all magnetfi is boomy.

imagine spending all day spamming /hpg/
will do, forgot about that + it's not an update anyways just a reminder
>It's the sound stage doesn't exist user
he has dumb low effort copy pastas to bait (You)s like which I have no intention of fully filtering I just threw it in there because I knew it would bug him

Magnet-fi might be boomy by your standards, but at least they're accurate. No STAX headphone will ever sound as good as a HD600 or DT880.

Why do you even bother replying to me nikita when you’ve never heard a single electrostat of any sort in your life

Patrician Tier:

>Audeze
>ZMF
>Meze
>Mr.Speakers

Good Tier:

>Fostex
>Focal
>Final Audio
>Hifiman

NPC Pleb tier

>Sennheiser
>Audio Technica
>Beyerdynamic
>Bose
>Sony
>AKG

Unfathomable Shit Tier

>Grado
>Beats
>STAX
>Anything from Skullcandy

Attached: fit alpha.jpg (2448x1373, 364K)

I'm not even Nikita faggot, why even shill STAXshitphones? They are not accurate. The point of headphones (like speakers) is to produce accurate sound.

both of those headphones sound like greasy balls though

I read “Patrician tier” as “Plankton tier”, probably for good reason.

accurate to what? the mudcannon curve? lol, just lol

>nikita denying he’s nikita
Please stop, you couldn’t make it more obvious it was you if you tried. You are incredibly bad at trying to type like another person.

Yeah they sound like shit because they're affordable, add another zero to the pricetag and notice how much better they sound :^)

>So getting a fitting comparison is tough when pretty much all magnetfi is boomy.
I doubt I would be able to get my hands on an older model then rip.
I see.

A SR Lambda is $300 on Ebay. Your post is pretty fucking irrelevant.

no they sound like horse ass because they sound like horse ass

I got insanely lucky, the guy at the headphones store I went to is a major Stax fan and he happened to have a shit ton of rare ones he let me give a listen. Never seen so many goddamn Stax in my life honestly.

Literally no sound engineer uses stax shit.

Attached: STAX SR-404 - leak.png (640x444, 54K)

you're not a sound engineer

>kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/sr-lambda-pro.htm
>A reader's dad worked at Capitol Records, where the Stax Lambda Pros had been used for years. Capitol stopped using them around 2001, and threw them all away! That reader's dad grabbed a set from the trash along with the amplifier, and is still enjoying them to this day. Capitol downgraded to ordinary Sony headphones for the same reason they use Yamaha NS10s: to be sure mixes sound good on ordinary equipment, not just on the very best equipment. Popular music is done this way, while classical music is still done with the best monitors. (In practice, everyone checks their mixes on all sorts of gear to be sure it will sound great everywhere, and mastering is always done very carefully.)
Keep spamming your autistic fucking objectivist faggot graphs nikita, we all know it’s you.

And stax shills calls dynamic headphones boomy? stax shills confirmed for being deaf with poor listening skills

>anyone who doesn't fall for the stax meme is nikita
Imagine being this retarded lmao

why are people so mad that things which cost more perform better? is this autism?

No, everyone who types like nikita, uses the same buzzwords and catchphrases as nikita, and more importantly behaves like nikita, is nikita. Guess who fits all 3? You. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, probably is a fucking duck.

yah im autistic

Attached: 1522180008406.png (1440x900, 174K)

Quick someone compare Beats and use it as a benchmark for all midfi headphones lmao
>the absolute state of poorfag cope

beats actually do sound better than snake oil garbage like the dt990 or hd650 or hd600

My shp9500 sounds worse than my $10 closed backs, coming from iems. Can anyone help me out here? Is it defective?

Guys my HD600 sounds worse than tourbus earbuds? What the fuck? Did I just get memed on?

Yes you did you should've bought portapros which sound better than every mid fi dynamic in existence

sapphire, does it really matter if at the end of the day you two are essentially indistinguishable? you've derailed thread after thread like he has as well. do you think derailing a thread because of the er4xr's bass is an appropriate thing to do?

this was accidentally filtered but I fixed a few bugs and updated

pastebin.com/VggNBLXS

Did you even ready your own shitty attempt to shill STAXshit?

>Capitol stopped using them around 2001, and threw them all away

Of course they threw they away, STAX is garbage for weebo virgins who think obscure audiophoolery makes them somehow more refined.

It sounds like absolute ass, even the shitty Koss Portapro sounds better.

Attached: Millennial drink tide.jpg (1080x1350, 113K)

Broke: mid-fi memephones
Woke: stax
Bespoke: EQ'd portapros

everybody point and laugh at this fag

Boy talk about selective reading lmao

more like selective brain cells its obvious less than a quarter of his brain is functioning
sad, many such cases

Friendly reminder that if your headphones aren't accurate, it's a children's toy.

i'm almost sad this got filtered because this is priceless

this, avoid muddy inaccurate colored shitphones like hd600 and dt880 that /hpg/ likes to push
this general is full of retards

I think the best part about the antistaxers is that they somehow think that Stax, a fucking 80 year old brand, is obscure. It’s like people who say “You only like Trout Mask Replica because it’s obscure”, what the fuck lmao do you even know what obscure means you fucking airhead.

>mfw my friend has been listening to music solely through his laptop speakers for almost a year now
It's not like he doesn't listen to much music either, he listens to music whenever he's home

Attached: 1543196113802.jpg (482x359, 21K)

my roommate does the same with his macbook, it sounds fucking awful, almost as bad as the (((harman))) target

>implying EQ’d laptop speakers aren’t summitfi
Not even the legendary Portapro can beat laptop speakers.

Just imagine how much worse it is on a budget gayming laptop

Just received a pair of headphones and they sound like shit.
How do I know they're not defective?

Am I the only one who suspect these STAX fags are in the same vein as the 'different amps have different signatures' guys? It seems like every word they use to describe their headphone is some flowery bullshit.

>inb4 Nikita
I'm a poorfag yeah but not a spammer. But then again, it's not like STAX fags have super high end speaker setups so why do they call others poorfags?

Really makes me think :s

Are they stax? If yes, it's working fine.

Explain what flowery bullshit staxfags use to describe their headphones
>ethereal
Is a very real thing. Go audition a $300 Lambda Pro and you will know what it means. Not even a $4k SR-009, a fucking $300 30 year old headphone.

stax owners are the most honest and objectivist minded people in /hpg/
take amir, he's basically your average stax owner

>Am I the only one who suspect these STAX fags are in the same vein as the 'different amps have different signatures' guys?
that's not an uncommon sentiment among stax owners here who feel that way about the stax mafia and the snake oil fags at headcase

>do you think derailing a thread because of the er4xr's bass is an appropriate thing to do?
kek can you give me the quick rundown of this or you have a link in the archives?

tl;dr anyone who recommends XR over SR is accused of being a nigbass lover.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text/er4xr melanin/

yikes, maybe if he stopped shitposting 24/7 and got a job he could afford decent headphones

How much do you think high end headphones($1000+) cost to manufacture? Do you think we are getting screwed and they are putting in a $200 driver in them?

t. brainlet who doesn't know the first thing about business
>what are overhead costs
>what is R&D
Yes there are companies that make genuinely overpriced shit but a lot of them are barely generating profit margin.

durr I posted in the old thread

Remember Stax and Scotch is the Patrician Boomers Choice

Attached: 20190105_134543.jpg (4032x3024, 3.71M)

>but a lot of them are barely generating profit margin.
That makes sense thinking about it again comparing them to another product.

What some good scotch I can pickup from LCBO?

looking just first glance I really liked this one lcbo.com/lcbo/product/the-glenlivet-french-oak-reserve-15-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky/603050#.XDECilVKiHs

how is the E17K docked on the K5 combo setup?
I bought the E17K a while ago would like to know if the K5 amp is a good improvement
K5 will cost me $110

Attached: 7452939321.jpg (1920x1080, 235K)

good/worthwhile improvement in power but there won't be any difference in sound

My cute wives!

Imagine being so hungry, you start eating someone else's lingerie.

>so why do they call others poorfags
shorthand for "poorfag objectivist" who, just like their conspicuously consuming subjectivist enemies, deny reality and evidence due to price bias

Remember theat Stax are objectively garbage and sound worse than mid-fi.
Even their best model scored lower than cheap AKGs in listening tests.

$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

>deny reality and evidence
That would be Stax incels.

>sapphy woke up

Remember nikita you are a dirty slav and you cant read the very study you shill

Attached: stop it get some help.png (301x117, 20K)

Subjective ratings made by trained listeners in blind tests produce objective data, silly.

>stax mafia
lmao

Attached: 23E886C9-21E9-4BAB-A67E-7B51307C2BC7.jpg (1024x576, 121K)

What is even the point of headphones with impedance over ~32 ohm? At least for normal consumers the disadvantage of a slightly higher noise floor (though I hear absolutely no noise on my 32-ohm pair) must surely not be worth it compared to the advantage of not having to buy and carry around a separate DAC or amp?

Its subjective therefore it can never be objective

they work on any amp or source unlike IEMs which are finnicky. impedance is also used as a method of tuning

Its Stax therefore it can never sound better than mid-fi

But they don't work on any source. That's the whole point. No way my phone or even PC can drive a 250 ohm headphone, it would sound like a whisper, if anything.

IEMs work better on phones and are better portable devices. headphones work better on motherboards and are better transportable devices. motherboards are often high impedance. phones are often low impedance.
>can drive a 250 ohm headphone, it would sound like a whisper
impedance is not sensitivity

thats an OPINION not objective

>impedance is not sensitivity

They are directly related. P = V2/R. And IEMs can have high impedance/low sensitivity and headphones can have low impedance/high sensitivity, so not sure why you are talking in those terms.

Actually it's a fact. Read >$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701
>aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Rate my intro-fi setup
>JDS Atom
>Topping D10
>Used HD600

Attached: 1545006183671.jpg (475x375, 32K)