Anyone else think m2 is fucking cute?

Anyone else think m2 is fucking cute?
I have a 256gb SATA m2 drive that i carry around in an enclosure(pic related) with an encrypted arch linux install on it so that I can plug it in my laptop on the go or desktop at home or use it to help service/fix other people's computers and i have a little 32-gb exFAT partition on it so linux, mac, and windows can read/write to it.

I wouldn't go storing any archival data or anything on it them but when it comes to managing reproducible data, running an OS, programming on, tossing around thousands of files, being compact, being reliable, and plenty of other things these little guys get the job done

m.2 thread

Attached: 81ZjP719LqL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/13677/innodisk-launches-m2-graphics-card-with-4k-output
micropassion.co.uk/Graphicscards.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can someone explain PCIE lane math so I can know if putting two NVME drives on a PCIE card is gonna throttle their individual speeds

whats stopping m2 drives from having tiny cute GPUs or ARM co-processors on them

Attached: New-M2-Riser-Card-M-2-NGFF-To-16x-GPU-USB-3-0-Extender-Riser-Adapter.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x640, 87K)

Low end drives are x2, high end are x4.
Some slots are x2, some are x4.
A x16 PCIe adapter card can support 4 x4 NVMe drives.

actually nevermind this is really cool
m2 fpgas when

anandtech.com/show/13677/innodisk-launches-m2-graphics-card-with-4k-output

>2.5 inch solid state drives are literally just becoming m2 enclosures

Attached: 1469128966321.png (750x550, 482K)

>reliable

>I wouldn't go storing any archival data or anything on it
they're probably more reliable than spinning rust. Tried copying some old series I had stored on a 1TB hitachi which I bought like 8 or 9 years ago and used very lightly, just backing up big files onto it with long stretches of inactivity. It was maybe sitting on the shelf for a year unpowered and it has a shitload of failing sectors already. Ironically no WD drive I ever had failed on me.

>Ironically no WD drive I ever had failed on me.
similar story here except seagate drives have never failed on me.

I dont put archival stuff on a solid state simply because it feels like there is a larger attack surface for catastrophic failure with an m2 drive.
I mean unless there is reliable "m2 recovery" but otherwise I haven't looked into the idea of storing a bunch of shit into an m2 drive with the intent of shelving it for years and years

> an encrypted arch linux install
> he encrypts with a passphrase
> or just keeps encryption keys on the same partition
LOL!

You're supposed to have backups, aka more than one copy of your data for everything.

>similar story here except seagate drives have never failed on me.
i'm fucked up whops.
I mean WD drives never failed me but seagate has

does this count if the medium for your backups is unreliable though

Backups are so as to to cover for the unreliability of the mediums. The unreliability is an assumed truth. There's a big difference between "putting archival data on SSD" and and "shelving an SSD for years" though.

Why is the interface board almost doubling the surface area? What a fuck off design.

then i guess i should go for tape then for "shelved for years" storage and not "recovering from catastrophic data loss" backups

>does this count if the medium for your backups is unreliable though
Yes, increasing the number of copies on different drives increase reliability enormously.

The average user don't shelve their storage as-is for years, they delete their old data they don't want, they edit their old data, they replace their old data. The tape medium is easy for one-time archival (for companies) but not easy to maintaining a personal archive that's constantly updating.

Nah tape sucks, hard drives are cheaper, more reliable and faster. Tape has no place in 2019 except in legacy systems. There's a reason Amazon Glacier is using hard drives instead of tape.

what's the most ideal way to cold-store a hard drive

you really think that's what i do huh

i hope m2 pcie becomes a replacement form factor for a lot of things. Like thunderbolt and adding more sata ports and audio and all that

You don't really. The best way is to have a checksuming filesystem and do periodic scrubs to fight potential bit-rot.

Had this drive for over 2 years, use it every single day as my main OS drive, absolutely no problems, still fast as fug

Attached: sdhkfljsdf.png (667x221, 30K)

>bitrot
i thought this was a meme term
is this just encapsulating against all the possible phenomenon that could lead to data loss during cold storage

i remember my film professor said some shit about how movie/video companies are just constantly 24/7 keeping their data moving between hard drives in a hot-potato kind of way just to keep it from dying out because "data left on a drive will decay about 1 bit every 5 to 7 months" and it sounded like absolute bullshit me like that one mp3 vs flac copypaste managed to make its way into the film industry or something

Nothing new
micropassion.co.uk/Graphicscards.html

m2 gpus are cute!
cute!!!!!!!!!!

can someone explain m2 wifi adapters?

are they just pcie cards shrunk down?
like, if i wanted to could I put a m2 wifi card into my desktop or something

Attached: Intel-7260NGW-294x300.jpg (294x300, 25K)

Yes but can the cpu handle the lanes?

>Anyone else think m2 is fucking cute?
It's kinda not THAT small. And I don't particularly like the actual port.

> I wouldn't go storing any archival data or anything on it them
Eh, why not. All you need is redundancy, regardless what it is.

Sure, it's a pricey option for larger volumes of storage, but if you only need 100GB with 1 drive's worth of redundancy for the foreseeable future but accessible 24/7, it can be one of the cheaper options to do that with SSD. M2 or 2.5".

Depends. WP on M.2:
>Computer bus interfaces provided through the M.2 connector are PCI Express 3.0 (up to four lanes), Serial ATA 3.0, and USB 3.0
So actually, it could be USB rather than PCIe, too.

>PCI Express 3.0 (up to four lanes), Serial ATA 3.0, and USB 3.0
never knew that actually

You can actually they make adapters for it.

I also didn't until I learned it hands-on.

And yes, they did the virtually predictable thing and on some mainboards, they do not support one of these on some m.2 slots, and also do it as redirect - if you got something in the m.2 slot, the PCI slot nearby can't work or the USB3 socket / port xy is occupied.

Basically, watch out for the details with M.2.

so wait can i rip out the one from my thinkpad and put it in my desktop if its pcie enabled or is it more fucky than that.

in particular i want blutooth access too and a lot of cards i see out there have a little usb wire that you gotta plug in too

Will be difficult to cool.

You should be able to tell which interface an M.2 card uses by looking at the keyed notches on the connector.
It's designed in such a way that a card won't physically fit into an M.2 that doesn't support the interface it requires.

I think there actually are fucking annoying ways in which the Antenna can be connected that might spoil your idea. Other than that, I believe it'll be fine?

> in particular i want blutooth access too
Well, if that fails, a BT 4 USB receiver is like $2.

I already easily managed to insert SATA M.2 storage cards into PCI only M.2 slots and all that.

The keying is kind-of broad and I'm not even sure all vendors care:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying

That's a problem with PCIe in general.
Most chipsets only support a very limited number of PCIe lanes with no way for motherboard manufacturers to add more.

>I think there actually are fucking annoying ways in which the Antenna can be connected that might spoil your idea.
Why dont ATX cases just have a cable in them that effectively turns all that metal it's made out of into one big antenne?

I don't think an antenna can be grounded can it?

>2019
>$300 motherboard
>still only two m2 slots
>adapters cost $60
Will this get any better with next gen motherboards?
4 slots should be minimum. I want to ditch all HDDs and RAID some 2tb NVMes already.

not as long as companies smell the money from selling (((premium))) motherboards with these features.

Attached: Distressree.png (256x256, 65K)

but >top tier consumer motherboards in >current year still only have 3 slots maximum.
I thought the whole point of smaller form factor is to increase density.

i thought antenna is just "a big chunk of metal that captures high frequency electromagnetic waves"

If on a mainstream motherboard it's not going to get any better as there are limited number of pcie slots and most if not all of the CPU pcie lanes are going to the 2 pcie 16x slots and even they have to share lanes if both slots are populated.
to attach more pcie lanes you would have to go to a bridge chip which does allow you to attach more devices but your still speed limited to whatever actual pcie lanes your bridge chip is attached to and those chips are very expensive

>m.2 is moe

Does it work on usb 2.0? I assume the max current of 500ma won't be enough to power an nvme drive.

>m.2 is loli

bump

Attached: nasa.webm (360x696, 137K)

What is your image about?!

>buying hitachi
>ever

Works on SATA m.2. drive.
t. sata m.2. enclosure owner.

lego revolute joint me thinks

There's a jmicron controller that does USB 3.1 to m.2 NVME.

Not that popular in the west, can get it off aliexpress for about $25

>This is great for crypto co-processors, AES, RSA and SHA is already enough

supposedly they're the best

Attached: drive-stats-2016-q1-failure-by-mfg-100661450-orig.jpg (720x820, 82K)