Is CS as meme degree as people claim?

Is CS as meme degree as people claim?

Thinking of switching from math major to cs.

Attached: 1490751794635.jpg (1920x2232, 486K)

Please respond

Attached: 1kvs1p.jpg (460x397, 39K)

Let me run you down our college, I'm first year, 4 months in:

We have
1.) Programming,
2.) Math (Discrete Structures first semester),
3.) Web Development,
4.) User Software (basically getting familiar with power of Word, Excell, math tools, writting shell scripts, etc.. anything you can imagine),
5.) Computer systems a.k.a hardware
6.) Language

First month was pretty easy, if you don't count math, but then all of the sudden all hell broke lose.

You spend whole days doing poorly written assignments for everything, other than math (which we have to study on our own).

So you go from zero to suddenly learning about structures and pointes, memory allocation, etc.. learning about HTML/CSS/JS/jQuery/Bootstrap/PHP, etc.. while getting absolutely raped with assignments at User Software and having to do seminary work at computer systems for application that connects through API and scans shit and documenting it. All this while having to learn math on the side, which I wouldn't say is even the hardest, since you just study on your own and don't have ridiclious deadlines and defending assignments.

Basically, I'm studying and working on assignments all day every fucking day, because they rape you with everything, while studying math. Prepare to think about concepts 12 hours per day and memorizing Word, Excell and other software functionalities like a rainman.

It's fucking insane, complete fucking rape where I'm from. I'd rather study math on my own without deadlines than work on assignments all day everyday like a fucking robot and having to memorize hundreds on new small things everyday about every program, language and concept you work with.

It's kind of a meme in my case, because you end up doing every other assignment that takes 10 times more work, than actually learning programming. I don't fucking know anymore how am I supposed to do everything while studying. You have to have zero life in order to pass. It's only Jow Forums that thinks it's a meme mostly.

Attached: CSuB3ZW.png (248x380, 75K)

Basically, there's not enough time to do and learn everything unless you are the most good boy in the world without life that can focus on learning and doing tasks 24 hours per day. Which is kind of what you are supposed to do in college, but fuck me, I'd rather have bad grades and go out and connect with people than spend 3 days doing some retarded fucking shit in Excell or reading an assignment on how to write macros (which is mandatory assignment) for 2 hours and still having no idea what the fuck am I supposed to do.

It's fucking insane workload in every possible direction. They stretch you ass hard as they can. Basically throw you in water and say learn how to swim lmao, you got 7 days.

I also think about 30-50% have already stopped going to college and gave up.

What country?
I'm from northern europe and people I know studying CS don't have it as bad I think

Central Europe, but our college is kind of known to be insane. Every time you mention you are going to the "CS meme", they kind of think you are crazy to go into this insanity and just start praying for you.

>basically getting familiar with power of Word, Excell, math tools, writting shell scripts
meme

Depends on where your studying. CS education is unstandardized as hell. Some people would argue thats a good thing but in all honesty it can make getting consistent programmers outside of the meat grinder a total clusterfuck.

Jesus Christ. Got me scared there for a while. Sounds fucking insane, but I am sure that your story is most likely not most peoples experience in CS.

>yeah sure thing buddy hehe, I totally wrote all of that down to make OP feel like CS is hard ;-) hehe, good one!

I only know about one guy on college, in the sea of other guys that went to very hard and good high school and did well there, that actually seems to be gifted or w/e for programming. He had no previous knowledge, went to some meme easy high school just to pass and now became like super good at programming in span of 4 months. When asked about stuff and to explain his thought process, he just says it seems logical to him what to do. First I thought he was copying, but then he started doing in front of me few things and I just couldn't believe it. So idk, maybe you are gifted, who knows.

I mean, CS is hard but I don't think it's 0 hours of spare time for most people studying it.

If you got pre-knowledge then yes, maybe you can save some time on assignments. However, if you start from bottom, then good luck. At least in my case.

Don't you think it's college and country related though?
It might be so in your college.
I know people studying law, who are not studying 247.

ofc, I'm saying for my experience. However, every one I talked too and I made a lot of new friends are basically in same shit as me or struggling even more.

shouldnt spending years on a degree get you higher pay than being a codemonkey from india who learned java on udemy?

Well you could become web dev in 6 months and have a nice life and years of work experience, while going through uni for 3-4 years and have zero experience, projects or good knowledge.

College is a meme, Just go get a job.

>webdev
This is not CS, it is some "try to get a job in tech " de degree.

It's not exactly web dev, it's called basics of web, so you have lectures on how web works and then assignments for web dev.

>College is a meme

Now a days there are a ton of alternatives for college.

>Well you could become web dev in 6 months and have a nice life and years of work experience

Attached: 14c.jpg (207x253, 17K)

You honestly aren't paying for the degree or classes. If you're like, totally brand new to programming, your freshman and sophomore classes should "set you up" to potentially do great things, but you could have learned all that through free online videos anyways. You're paying for the potential to network with other programmers, do actual programming projects within students organizations or among your classmates, get the credentials to do internships, and THEN actually learn how to program.

Because the fact is, CS leans much more towards industry than academia. And some would argue rightfully so, as there a simply too many divergent languages, programming paradigms, and solutions for there to be a singular pathway in career success. So in college you learn the barebone skeletal knowledge needed in order to competently type things into a compiler, and once you figure out the specific thing you want to do in CS you apply for a job/internship and actually get trained in-house how to do it.

So, with that educational environment, you can see how there is such a disproportionate amount successful CS students that have a degree. The people who were successful were probably going to be successful either way due to being naturally intuitive, outgoing, and motivated, but the opportunities provided in college amplified their success. Where as the poor schmucks who just went through the system trying to grind out their classes expecting to land a job after graduating are failing. There's a reason why fizzbuzz exist and people are ridiculed because of it.

Yeah. Like getting a job.

Is that for lets say statistics or applied math as well?

I'm a first year as well like but I have it much easier. We do pretty much the same things except it's more lax (which is surprising cuz I'm actually at a top-10 uni). If you have some prior experience dicking around with PCs/soft. dev. out of personal interest then programming and development is simple and fun. If you took vigorous maths in high school then discrete maths should be easy too.

By "simple n easy" I mean the first year, idk bout the following ones. The degree itself doesn't sound all that great to me either. I'm only taking it so that I have a good base for anything more specific I want to do for masters: I recommend you do the same.

I'm not sure about those majors, however from some talks with colleagues I get the impression that you need to be hot shit to get a job in those fields. HOWEVER if you get a degree in stats/maths, defeat the /sci/ meme of non-cs majors being shitty at programming, and try a position within CS that would be okay, since current technology in CS (ie. machine learning) are basically stats/applied math with programming sprinkled in.

The reason why education in CS is like this is (and I'm theorizing here) is because it's an emergent field where innovation in ran by the capitalist-minded companies that are all trying to cover different solutions to problems. it also doesn't help that people are constantly capitalizing on said solutions to problems, and constantly making new ones.

Since your on Jow Forums im assuming you want a job in tech.
How can one get a job in tech when most tech companys require someone with a fucking degree of some sort? Mostly all good paying jobs require a degree. Retard.

Attached: uscJgBL-_400x400.jpg (240x240, 13K)

If you don't have a degree or experience you're gonna have to start at the bottom. That's just the way it is. Get a tier 1 help desk job and start working your way up.

If you do personal projects like a home lab or a github repo make sure you document them and can speak about them ad nauseum in an interview. Things like that can be used to demonstrate your knowledge in lieu of experience on a resume.

>no degree
>wants high paying job immediately
entitled bitch.

Sadly from experience, Stats/maths degree offers very little in programming. You know one language well enough to do job, and that is R. Python is not even taught currently in most colleges even though its the hottest shit in data science.

I'm sorry to hear that. In any case if you still wanna try data science maybe apply for an REU listing on the national science foundation, if you're in the states. Never know what could happen.

>get a piece of paper
>think people owe you a job and refuse to take the jobs they are "overqualified" for
Majors are even more entitled.

Attached: 1537538012581.png (656x542, 253K)

>do work
>be entitled enough to think boss owes you a paper with dollar sign

Your college seems a lot more focused than mine. I'm cs too, second year, and I've been spending more time on math (Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra and Diff Equations, and Stats), physics (physics 1 and 2), and engineering classes (Statics and dynamics and circuit design) than actual cs. I've taken 2 actual cs classes in total: Data Structures (Arrays, Linked Lists, Binary Search Trees, Graphs, and other shit) and Computer Organization (Going in depth on pointers, memory management, assembly language, and a very brief section on cpu design, cache, ect.). My third and fourth years are almost entirely cs classes, though.

CS with so many stem subjects, why?

>There's a reason why fizzbuzz exist
Please explain, I have like no experience in programming (I'm like way below script kiddie tier) and writing this:
for i in range(1,101):
if (i%3 == 0) and (i%5 == 0):
print("FizzBuzz")
elif (i%3 == 0):
print("Fizz")
elif (i%5 == 0):
print("Buzz")
else:
print(i)
in Python literally takes zero fucking skill. Are programmers retarded, is CS really a meme or am I missing something?

Why didn't he just got a better job?

Because the lack of a standardized computer science curriculum makes it so unless your professor decides that a certain programming skill or solutions is worth teaching, you may never know it even exists.

somebody who truly understood modulus and arithmetic could possibly figure it out on their own. however our cs education is built upon students learning from prior and shared knowledge, and fizzbuzz is a classic programming problem. To most students given this question in an interview its a "either you know it or you don't" sort of thing.

why not computer engineering?
i went to georgia tech. the computer engineers are all chads and the CS guys are weeb losers.

>either you know it or you don't
that actually explains the problem quite well, thanks. also its a really fucked up mind set, considering the job should be solving problems

>Are programmers retarded

Yes, you'd be surprised to hear how many older ones learned just a bit of VBA to write shitty excel macros at their company long ago and kept doing that for 15 years until getting replaced by new technology. After getting laid off those boomer idiots apply for positions they are in no way qualified for and end up shitting the interview statistics.

Another group that shits up the interview statistics are 3rd worlders who got their 'degrees' without ever touching a computer, pic related.

Attached: indian ivy league.jpg (4981x3508, 2.55M)

It's computer science and engineering I guess, and it's part of my school's engineering school, so I'm kind of getting fucked by the engineering school's prereqs, I guess. But at the end of the day a degree is a degree and as long as I'm getting it in 4 years or less, I'm fine.