/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: cake.jpg (400x559, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1J3C23/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2UXO5LPTDY3LN&th=1
amazon.com/dp/B07DR5PG8S
boards.Jow
boards.4channel.org/*
boards.4channel.org/g/';
reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/520i7i/nvidia_forcing_me_to_upgrade_to_gfe_30_cannot/d7vbhzm/
files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/kdenlive-18.12.1.exe
my.mixtape.moe/yzmfdw.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

where is the web dev general faggot?

Here.

Attached: 154324068638.jpg (675x1200, 131K)

What did Windows 10 mean when they didn't make the cursor fade with the screen when using "Night Light"? this is some of the most retarded shit ever.

I'm looking to sell my MacBook (2015 retina 13) to buy a ThinkPad x1 Yoga. The question is, what is the performance difference of a dual core i7-6500U vs a quad core i5-5257U? Benchmarks show them very close, but the MacBook has shit ventilation so that could be a factor.

Why the fuck is there a goddamn silent alarm going off in the background of my s8 that never goes away unless i fucking exit out?????
What is this fucking shit?
Im never getting a samsung again, how do i fix this?
I dont even have my alarm set but its there randomly whenever it decides to pop up when i check what tabs i have open.

Attached: Watamote 31.png (321x298, 56K)

Cute boi

How do I block every board except one (e.g. Jow Forums)? Blocksites' Firefox addon blocks the whole boards.4channel.org domain, so it's useless.

I listened to you fags' advice and downloaded Win10 Pro N. It is actually running smoother than Win7, and 1080ti and 8700k doing their stuff without a hitch.

I have already dealt with the bloat (Pro N doesn't have much to begin with), but how should I deal with the telemetry/privacy stuff?
Is using O&O Shutup10 on full settings inadequate?

No Linux suggestions pls, I already have it for sekrit use you sick fucks

Attached: 9sQl7eQ.jpg (1280x1016, 314K)

install gentoo

anime boys don't exist, all cute animes are girls

what's a good, free and FOSS virtual audio cable software that will run on win7?

How do I make 7z more intelligent? why does it think I can extract mkv files when I right click them? I shouldn't see the 7z shell shit for those files.

dotn associate mkv file with 7z

where do I change that?

right click > open with

I have a ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 with the intel i7 4790k with some random bad 4 slot RAM sticks (12GB in total). I want to upgrade my computer, but I wish to avoid upgrading the whole damn thing.

Are there any recommendations from Jow Forumsods on what ram sticks I can buy to upgrade my system?

As far as I know, I can only have DDR3 RAM at max 3200MHz (OC). Just something not to bottleneck my 1080 GPU.

Thanks!

Is Learning Python 5ed by Mark Lutz a good place to start learning programming?

that just lets me pick what program to use to open it, not what not to associate it with?

Is the 970 Evo SSD worth it for the speed? It's about twice the price for twice the speed (3400 MBs read/1500 MBs write vs 1500 MBs/900 MBs). Is the difference noticeable in normal desktop usage?

Why dont you fucking read the option boxes instead of waiting for others to fucking hand hold you?
Ther option you want is where i told you.

You can't. File extensions say nothing about the file. And because of speed reasons 7zip won't start scanning every single file you right click on.

There is literally nothing on the face of the earth that will utilize this fully.If you're the 1% that are writtig nan entire 1tb or larger file to the disk at once.

Write a greasemonkey script?

I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to tell me.

I want the shell integration not showing when I right click an mkv file, 7z shows me options to extract here, etc. I don't want to see that, because you can't extract an mkv file. The file by default opens with my media player, that isn't the issue here, I want 7z not to fucking think I can extract an mkv file.

Attached: Untitledg.png (774x475, 18K)

Is GNU/Linux better at doing stuff like transcoding/rendering?

How would that work? I have no prior experience. Can you point me in the right direction?

Slightly improved read and write speeds on a practical gaming or work station rig, but not really worth it for the speed alone for now.
It's just FAR smaller, consumes less power afaik and connects to the motheboard directly through the m.2 port and doesn't need a cable. Those improvements alone will justify its existence on the long run and make SATA SSDs obsolete.

i need help with my windows 8.1 pc.
since today the sound has been distorted in a way that vocal audio is much quieter than background audio, amongst other distortions. i tried reinstalling my audio driver, and getting another audio driver and im really lost on what to do.
someone please help :(

Thanks, I think I'll get a larger Kingston SSD instead.

I'm comparing it to other M.2 SSDs if that wasn't clear.

I've never tried it myself. But you could write a script for Jow Forums, then check the URL. If it's not Jow Forums, or whatever board, then do something like redirect somewhere else. Greasemonkey scripts are written in javascript so you have access to most things you would expect.

I'm about to switch to Win10 for the first time.
What exactly does the watermark in the "free" version do? I've read mixed descriptions.
Some said that it just won't let you change the desktop background and it will have a notification to update in the background image.
Others said that it's omnipresent in everything you do in every application and it won't go away until you buy it.
So which is it?

>I'm comparing it to other M.2 SSDs if that wasn't clear.
Nevermind, I didn't think that through enough. It was clear enough.

I was looking at the evo 970 1tb version and was recommended this instead. A little cheaper and a little better speeds.

amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1J3C23/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2UXO5LPTDY3LN&th=1

Answer my question

How can I write something like this more efficiently in python?
```python
device1.func()
device2.func()
```

Would it be possible to do something similar to this?
```python
(device1, device2).func()
```

its only two devices so I don't want to run a full for loop...

Just watch YouTube tutorials, but yes Python is a great entry level language and it's commonly used in a lot of jobs.

Haven't postet on Jow Forums for a while, I thought you could do code brackets with back ticks on here...

I will look into it. Thanks.
I will be waiting for more immediate answers as well, though.

I'm putting together a new build and I've never had a monitor better than 1080p 60hz so I want to get something nice for my main monitor.

I'd like 1440p, 100-144hz, 17-31 inch, reasonably low response time ~5 ms. I've never owned a TN or VA panel so I'm not what to expect coming from my IPS monitor now.

Was looking at this but wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

amazon.com/dp/B07DR5PG8S

Seems to work in violentmonkey
// ==UserScript==
// @name Jow Forums blocker
// @namespace Violentmonkey Scripts
// @include boards.Jow Forums.org/*
// @include boards.4channel.org/*
// @grant none
// @run-at document-start
// ==/UserScript==

let allowed_boards = ['g'];

function isAllowedBoard() {
let path_parts = window.location.pathname.split('/');
let board = path_parts[1];
return allowed_boards.indexOf(board) >= 0;
}

if (!isAllowedBoard()) {
console.debug('redirect');
window.location.href = 'boards.4channel.org/g/';
}

Is there an easier way to edit files in linux?
I was trying to edit mpv.conf but I had to do it through terminal because of root. Can't I do something like "run as admin" instead of doing all that shit through terminal?

also how do I create a new conf file? I can't drag and drop it inside the mpv folder.

Dont use /etc, use your user folder

sudo gedit file.conf

Trying to use the foobar2000 app on my iphone, and I can't get the ftp server to run, or if it is running I don't know the address. I'm trying to use the address it gives me at the bottom, but I go there and just get failure to connect.

you could probably do something like
call_for_all(dev1,dev2).func()

but you'd have to write call_for_all yourself, probably a class with a custom __getattribute__ which would return a callable that calls the requested attribute on all contained objects

Why does it feel like every single laptop is shit? I want a new one, but literally not a single one seems decent in matter of price/power/portability. Why is the laptop market shit? What the fuck

i'm trying to write a bash script that basically checks if i'm connected to nordvpn (using their linux client) so that when the connection eventually drops it'll just reconnect to another server. I just have no idea how to get the nordvpn connect be a completely autonomous process, if I ctrl+c the script after it's connected the connection drops.
#!/bin/bash
while sleep 10
do
echo "testing connection"
if nordvpn status | grep -q "not" ; then
echo "trying to connect"
nohup nordvpn connect &>/dev/null &
fi
done

What distro does he use?

Jow Forums I just bought a wireless adapter usb dongle, why the hell is the "send" slow but my receive is good. Also the bluetooth isn't picking up anything

Attached: 20190105_180857.jpg (2160x2160, 2.23M)

Jow Forums I just bought a wireless adapter usb dongle, why the hell is the "send" slow but my receive is good. Also the bluetooth isn't picking up anything

Attached: 20190105_181225.jpg (2160x2160, 3.36M)

help
I don't know if I should even bother pirating windows 10 because of this.

Will Sun keyboards and mice work with an iMac G3?

Attached: sun-usb-keyboard-mouse-kit-type-6-type-7-12.jpg (1000x667, 270K)

I am currently using a router given to me by my ISP, running the most recent firmware on it.

Now I want to start running a TOR Bridge - should I replace the router with something that allows me to flash the firmware and get something like openWRT or is that not necessary?

please, I just want to listen to my music ;_;

Maybe you shouldn't use trash

If it wasn't free I wouldn't use it. I'm making the best with what I have, okay?

If someone gifted me an Iphone I would take it and pawn that shit. Or attempt to jailbreak it at least

What was the question?

No, the everything is payed for, data plan and such.

Just use the fucking default music app. Everything syncs to your phone without needing connect to your computer.

I have a bunch of music files on my computer, and I'm not interested in paying for music on the apple music store.

What is this shit on my lcd and how do i fix it?

Attached: 4.jpg (2193x1280, 3.46M)

You can choose not to pirate it, but there'll be a persistent watermark in the corner
Fully functional otherwise

I read manga off my ereader, and this one manga (Akagi) has a lot of landscape images
Is there a program that can rotate 90 degrees all images with a width bigger than a height, in a series of folders?

Attached: 1544625790257.jpg (640x480, 34K)

Im stupid for posting too soon
Couldn't find a quick and easy way in linux so i booted into Windows 7, went into the folder with all the sub folders per chapter, did a search for jpg, ordered them by dimensions, and they were neatly split into a huge list of thousands of images that had a (smaller)x(bigger) dimension (vertical), and a few hundred images below that were (bigger)x(smaller) dimensions. I selected all the latter ones, right clicked, and rotated clockwise
Thanks wanblows

Attached: 137079.jpg (360x360, 21K)

Does changing dns on a pc makes sense if i can't change router's ones?

Christ, you can get Windows 10 Pro keys for a buck or two. Drop a temp email and I'll send you one.

>Paying for a w10 version with ads and bloatware

Remove shell extension you autist.

Why are these threads always started by a pederast?

What are botnets and why do anons and the g wiki refer to skype, chrome, win10 etc as botnets?

How much of that sentiment is tinfoil and how much is legit concern?

t. luddite tryna learn

They are outcasts in normal society but anons don't judge and appreciate being spoon-fed so these people get to enjoy elevated "social" status in this niche

Everyone is broken and looking for a place to fit in, user

It'll take you like 5 extra minutes do do the shit in the OP annon.

I expected a shitpost, not a life lesson.
Fuck you for making me feel bad.

Sure. There's no difference, other than that it just applies to that one PC. If you use both wifi and ethernet, be sure and do both. Also if you can, use different companies for your first and second DNS.

Lubuntu.

how do i make a cool theme like this on my macbook, im not a nerd and dont want to get linux. Thanks

Attached: 1546555549370.png (1920x1080, 1005K)

ive been trying to get old shadowplay to work (geforce 2.xx) but i keep getting this icon that its not available even tho its on in the geforeskin experience
what do? i tried to follow this guide
reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/520i7i/nvidia_forcing_me_to_upgrade_to_gfe_30_cannot/d7vbhzm/

Attached: gta.jpg (1571x1195, 129K)

how do I get meme videos to be sent playable in the messages like the top one and not cuck links that have to open a different app like the bottom one

Attached: yourtub.png (653x676, 328K)

What should I do with the stickers I got from some of the parts I ordered?

>I've never owned a TN or VA
Lucky bastard. IPS is the way to go, if you can't find TN colors you're OK with, which I haven't. I'd ignore the claimed response time. I mean if it did say something like 10ms that would be a bad sign, because then it's so bad they don't even feel comfortable lying about it, but ~5ms on a VA is imaginary numbers. The blacks are nice on a VA, but it's really an uphill battle for them to display games without ghosting.

The actual word refers to when some hackerman infects a bunch of people's computers with quiet malware and they do his bidding by remote whenever he feels like it. On here it means any program or service that mines a lot of personal data. Data is the toxic waste of the digital world. It has increasing value but also exponentially increasing ways to do harm, and it is very difficult to secure reliably. So even if one entity isn't using it to be dickwads, chances are they'll eventually be hacked by somebody who will. And because nobody ever deletes goddamn anything, they'll get your life history and then some.

So it is persistenent, even when I watch full screen videos and stuff. That's not good then.
I hope pirating it is possible these days.
Or at least making the WM go away.

stupid people deserve it

Anyone here uses Openshot Editor?
Whose idea was it to make reversing a video count as a transition? Transitions add time, and now I can't use this shit for making loops.

What's a good open source video editor that lets me do video loops?

try Kdenlive ?

Is it possible to trace someone's SteamID by their registration date alone?

seconding this. I only hear amazing things about Kdenlive. Also there's Shotcut which is alright, and I hear that you can also use Blender as a video editor.

>Kdenlive
Thanks, I'll give that a go.
>Blender
I tried that already. It seemed way too complicated for videos and it seemed more like something that's neat to have to edit the aniamtions you make with Blender, but eventually I'll learn that one too. It's definitely a cool feature to include in it.
For now I just need something simpler to make high quality shitposts with.

Why is my game_state function pointer not being called correctly?

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
void game_init(void);
void game_quit(void);
void game_print(void);

// Singleton Game instance
static struct {
// define "attributes"
SDL_bool running;

// define "methods"
void (*init)(void);
void (*quit)(void);
void (*print_state)(void);
} Game = {
SDL_FALSE,
game_init,
game_quit,
game_print
};

void game_init(void) {
printf("game_init()\n");

if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING)!=0) {
printf("SDL error -> %s\n", SDL_GetError());
exit(1);
}

Game.running = SDL_TRUE;
}

void game_quit(void) {
printf("game_quit()\n");
SDL_Quit();
Game.running = SDL_FALSE;
}

void game_print(void) {
printf("Game state -> %d\n", Game.running);
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {

Game.init();

printf("running = %d\n", Game.print_state);

while(Game.running) {
//Game.quit();
}

printf("running = %d\n", Game.print_state);

return 0;
}

Ah, nvm, dropped my
()'s

What's a good, free video editing software for windows? Looking to edit videos in order to put them on youtube

Attached: 1522445698220.png (1431x805, 150K)

How could I download all the videos a user on xvideos uploaded?

Attached: 1523304421969.jpg (540x540, 57K)

See above. Kdenlive has a Windows beta version as well.
files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/kdenlive-18.12.1.exe

my.mixtape.moe/yzmfdw.webm

Attached: shit game.webm (640x360, 2.93M)

thank you fren

Try putting their user page in youtube-dl, otherwise you'lll just have to copy paste them all.

Since I'm a brainlet, I changed the username and password needed to access my router (the device is an Arris provided by the ISP) a while ago and then i forgot them. If i reset the router or if i buy a different one, would i be able to use the internet straight away, or is some sort of ISP-specific configuration needed in order to get things running again? Would i need to contact my ISP at all during the process?

Usually yes for DSL and no for everything else, but it really varies from company to company and even area to area.

Is there a way to reset the log in credentials without fucking everything else?