STOP RECOMMENDING LINUX FOR EVERYTHING

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST NOT EVERYONE NEEDS AN OVER COMPLICATED OPERATING SYSTEM TO USE

Attached: 1544396270100.png (683x642, 562K)

Just install Linux already.

WHY WHAT THE FUCK

Attached: 10.png (512x512, 68K)

Nobody actually uses Linux, only legit retardeds do.

calling Linux complicated is really just saying "I am too stupid to breathe."

I switched my boomer dad from Win 7 to Ubuntu because he hated Win 10. He's never looking back. He still asks me how so select more than 1 file in a file manager to give perspective on how tech retarded he is.

Faggot detected... Jk, I agree, just don't lower yourself to using an Apple product

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>OVER COMPLICATED
iToddlers...

install gentoo

Attached: 2ac.png (600x679, 237K)

I'M TOO STUPID TO REMEMBER LINUX COMMANDS

Attached: 1023.jpg (460x276, 17K)

I was talking about my dad you mong. Practice your reading comprehension.
i use Arch btw.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

DUDE YOU GOT NUMBER

Linux distros are simpler than windows though

>I was talking about my dad

WHAT IS IT LIKE HAVING A DAD?

Attached: pd2h9flg9fmy.png (780x438, 239K)

Interlinked.

Attached: file.png (1200x675, 436K)

checked

Attached: 1536276072633.jpg (902x762, 195K)

Attached: 44491699_299523510661149_2936555774060527616_n.jpg (1242x1241, 83K)

install gentoo you monkey

>complicated operating system
99.99% of 99% of people only use their computers for browsing the internet. And Linux is unironically far superior for that than windooze and macos

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1521577763429.jpg (480x360, 17K)

more like
> I'M TOO STUPID TO THINK FOR MYSELF

>install gentoo you monkey

SERIOUSLY IS THIS A MEME? WHY? IS THIS LIKE THE MOST COMPLICATED THING ON THE PLANET TO RUN OR SOMETHING?

they got too pampered with getting monkey fecal matter spoonfed into bad habits

Nice

Attached: 1543900912965.jpg (608x456, 31K)

Linux is the best for everything, git gud you fucking dweeb

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

[1/2]

No, we use it as a joke only because of how good it actually is

ctrl+r exists for a reason my good bitch

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

[2/3]

>COMPLICATED
Yeah, nobody needs W*ndows.

man this is some good shitpasta

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

[3/3]

Why is it so good seriously?

wtf? ubuntu, mint, elemental are all fucking easy to use

maybe you are retarded

when you get a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

>loonix is two complicatd

Attached: brainletcastle.jpg (645x1000, 107K)

> linux
> complicated
only if you're 100% computer illiterate.

Attached: tmnh.jpg (839x1280, 239K)

Without Googling the answer, how do you change directory within the terminal?

It is no more difficult than remembering the name of a radio channel, a TV show or the name of a social media you useless normie.

cd op/is/a/retarded/faggot

cd code
cd code
cd..
cd code

>over complicated OS
you're just too retarded to use it.

After a lifetime of Windows, now HAVing to use Mac, I appreciate this.

Fuck having to learn linux.

kek'd

you put a disc in the drive, dumass

My mom is buying a laptop and spent like $250 between Win10 and Office. Imagine spending $250 more on hardware instead of shitty software and bloat.

I recommend you to install Ubuntu 7.10

Yeah, fuck GNU/Linux, install BSD

windows and gui is fine until you have to rotate every 2nd page of an 200page pdf made from scans because scanning books is apparently hard enough already for normies.

linux is just a meme for retards to feel better about themselves

>spent like $250 between Win10 and Office
The problem here is your mother being a retard.

Windows 10 takes too long to setup, too confusing, so I installed Linux
Updating Windows 10 takes about a week in installs and makes you unable to shut down or work with your computer in the meantime, updates tend to be too large, I prefer the rolling release system of the distro I use
Most important of all, Microsoft Word is borderline impossible to make quality documents with, so I decided to use Texmaker which is far easier to make quality documents with

Attached: ifoxbb2mo8821.jpg (1125x911, 66K)

I have tried convincing her to go with Ubuntu+Libre and double her RAM and get an SSD with the savings but she insists she wants to stick with "what she knows."

Considering the context here is her picking out an early birthday present I'm tempted to do it my way anyway since I'm footing the bill.

linux belongs in toasters and blenders. imagine actually using it as a desktop

windows and mac = ram consuming crap

chdir ./path

>libre

absolute garbage

over-complicated?
>implying you need to touch command line in something like Mint

Free ram is wasted ram

Test

if you wanna learn linux use "linuxjourney"

Better than MSOffice considering the price point,

Linux isn't complicated for people with more than 3 braincells.

+1

idk.

The overall lesson is to use linux when referring to anything using the kernel. But if you want to install steam on linux, remember that it only runs on GNU/Linux

Name ONE (1) task that Linux isn't suitable for.
I dare you.

Attached: fgsfds (1).jpg (335x352, 19K)

Install Gentoo.

if you spend more time configuring your os, instead of using it then you're doing it wrong

Please don't shitpost with pictures of my countryman

Based

Your caps lock key seems to be stuck, I strongly suggest you to try out if it's the same in Linux. Then we can be sure if that really is the culprit of all of your problems.

it teaches how to follow instructions

what if it's just always half broken because I don't want to spend time configuring instead of using it

keep saying that while posting in a forum hosted by it, serviced by a DNS with it, with a router that also runs it, nigger

>linux
40 syscalls

>windows
100 syscalls... per version of windows released since 3.1
Overall an entire fucking mess of compatability and legacy garbage needed so that enterprise manufacturer B can run their fucking cadcam and employee monitoring software from 1996

Sure dude

why do you think people are recommending linux instead?

>over complicated
>open any gui package manager and write the name of the program and get it
>complicated

this

Amoungst the other countless benefits of using Linux, installing and updating software is way easier than windows. OP is either a troll, has never actually used Linux properly or is a fucking retard.

Buzi

>but can you run more than 2k steam games without issue

Attached: linux compatibility.png (615x235, 25K)

If something is written for window's legacy garbage mess it's really hard to port it to a better designed operating system.

Actually legacy garbage mess usually runs as fast as on windows or faster through wine. It's the current garbage mess that's really hard to port because wine is a decade late and you would need to actually rewrite portions of the game.

actually werking without getting in the way

There's no need to use "LINUX COMMANDS" at all.

>over complicated
>get it for free and install it with really dumb wizards that get everything working even faster than Windows or OSX
>complicated

is there a OS that lets me do literally anything?
like a, lets say, commodore 64 for the modern man

>lets say, commodore 64 for the modern man
TempleOS

rm -rf /
wow that was hard

looks like somebody hasn't put linux on everything yet lol

No, just use Linux when referring to Linux, which is a kernel.

then why do you use windows?

>implying i read anything less than 10 words

Playing games which are only compatible with Windows

>I never worked with DOS

Audio editing because of latency and shitty drivers.
Video editing because all LOONIX editors are dogshite except Blender which isn’t even designed for movie editing anyway.
Gaming because no serious developer wastes time target less than 2% market share. Also graphics drivers on LINCUX still aren’t all the way there.
Productivity because there is no real WYSIWYG document creation that competes with Microsoft , Corel or Kingsoft. Before you suggest Latex, remember that people with careers don’t have time to be programming documents.
Image manipulation because Corel and Adobe have a monopoly on that market, and GIMP doesn’t even come close, not to mention having an awful name.

>b-but I can just use WINE or Proton
Relying on Windows libraries to make Linux usable means you should just use Windows.

Then install KDE and forget you have a terminal.

no, it's not without hardware acceleration