Why aren't you using Arch or Gentoo right now Jow Forums?

Why aren't you using Arch or Gentoo right now Jow Forums?

Attached: a58b34950b1aae9d556ab4d1ce4b10491acbf021e394f6cbdea9af2e67c7ca9f.jpg (250x209, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Manjaro exists.

I have a life.

I'm fine with Xubuntu, thanks.

I like Debian and Slackware

How's the faggotry coming along?

Don't you have autism meds you should be taking right about now?

What color is your dragon dildo ?

Purple.

It isn't that bad if you just consider it as a hobby

>arch god tier
lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

archniggers unironically believe this

arch is BELOW shit tier

god tier is slackware, gentoo and LFS

I just got done installing gentoo late last night. It's funny that the Arch install guide has gotten more arcane and less specific over the years, while the Gentoo handbook (or, at least, the amd64 one) has gotten easier to understand. Gentoo was never particularly hard to install, but it's funny that they've packed more and more detail into the manual to try and make it even easier for newcomers.

Also

Attached: 1544939579088.jpg (664x749, 338K)

I fixed the image for you.

Attached: 1546723271950.jpg (250x209, 13K)

/thread

gentoo is very easy to install if understand filesystems and partitioning and the basics of a Linux install. and the community is a lot more helpful. They have actual answers and solutions rather than the typical arch "you can't install this? you must be dumb go buy a mac instead"

None of the supposed benefits they offer make switching worth it.

>not using tinycore
Enjoy your bloat

Because I am using LFS.

I am

Attached: arglinugs.png (1366x768, 713K)

Attached: default_arch_cursor.png (160x200, 2K)

Because I always do the opposite of whatever Jow Forums says.

Attached: 1531953860945.jpg (400x342, 39K)

I tried gentoo around 2004, and I had no idea what I was in for at the time. Never again.

is that kde?

this

Because Im using the superior Slackware

yes

Attached: youvebeengnomedjpg.jpg (2000x2000, 315K)

Because I'm using Windows 10 and there's nothing you can do about this

Enjoying your bloated NSA BOTNET I see.

>Why aren't you using the two most broken distros now Jow Forums?
Arch and Gentoo belong with Linux Mint, and Ubuntu could be maybe a step above.
I like the slackware concept but, what the fuck is with the updates? You have to manually patch every single thing? I installed on a virtual machine and it had KDE 4. I wanted to try a KDE 5 distro damn. I didn't know how to update. For starters the virtual machine didn't even had internet, I guess I have to use dhclient enp0

>what is ubuntu

Honestly I'd say kernel configuration and compile times are the biggest hurdles to get into Gentoo. I have a 2600X with 12 threads, so the compile times aren't nearly as bad as they would've been in the past. As for kernel configuration, I just copied a config file from Slackware, since I knew the kernels in Slack worked with my hardware no problem, and I was already compiling my own kernel to get it working with my newer hardware anyway, so the longer times on the non-pared down config could be improved, but aren't surprising. I just appreciate the irony that the distribution with the reputation for being the big bad final boss of GNU/Linux installs has been taking steps to make its documentation pedantically clear to read, whereas Arch has been busy being Arch.. Gentoo isn't (and has never been) hard, just time consuming.

Attached: 1544068131654.jpg (570x437, 55K)

at least my fucking thinkpad works as intended under windows
>hurr durr learn to troubleshoot
no thanks

/thread

Too long to install

>why are you not using Linox user
>why have you never tried Linox user

Attached: 300px-Windows_7_SP1_screenshot.png (300x225, 64K)

I prefer Kung Fu Linux

fixed

Attached: 1544155360557.png (250x209, 44K)

Rolling release is absolute cancer. Gentoo with Debian's release cycle would be great.

slackware64-14.2/patches contains updated packages, retard

lm and niggerlinux are essentially debian anyways desu

Are you high? Things don't work like that. Just use Debian and shut up.

Linux nigger 4.20.0-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 24 03:00:40 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Attached: FFY.jpg (250x209, 43K)

but how do you do that? the tool needs to be used against every single package instead of updating all automatically?

man slackpkg

based. Gentoo is the most retarded distro. A stable release like debian or centos has very small updates, just security fixes that won't take much to compile. But in a rolling release;
>fix is made for CVE 666
>just download the whole 120MB package and compile it again bro

I don't mind Arch that much but I do not use Gentoo because I want a working computer

Fedora is fucking shit and I immediately think less of anyone who recommends it.

Get laid.

Gentoo: total time sink. Compile, compile, compile. Have you seen the electric bill?!

Arch: asshole developers, mail list, and forums. Newbies get anally raped. Wiki keeps getting worse, deliberately.

This is why Void was invented. The only problem is the lack of 64-bit wine.

Arch user detected.

Attached: 1543368162660.jpg (2560x2880, 3.03M)

I can only say good things about void. Like if you have installed arch once you can get void installed in like 5 minutes. Community is really helpful too if anything does go wrong.

Attached: 1546538466295.jpg (1024x576, 95K)

So you don't use Linux?

CentOS IS RHEL, numbnuts.

you forgot to put opensuse at the top with the others.
I blame gnome.

Attached: 1546253800686.gif (500x375, 2M)

i'm really torn.
arch has pacman, which never breaks dependencies and is fast as fuck. i have never ever had a problem with it, and i think it's as close as software can get to being perfect.
the distro itself, however, kind of blows. last time they updated the systemd package it broke the X server midway through installation. luckily pacman is so fucking good it didn't do any damage. also trying to keep aur packages up to date is a nightmare without an aurhelper, and they're all dogshit.
tl;dr i'd use fedora or debian if they used pacman.

Attached: 8e79394ce399c5e2590f31647a25337a.png (208x189, 28K)

I've just uninstalled kde and installed ubuntu again. I like its plug and play-like feeling

I didn't know that chaos undivided had their own distro

stay off electronics, you'll smear autism in them

I'm using Arch just to trigger you autismos.

Attached: kyoko dab.png (1920x1080, 2.72M)

Attached: debate.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

thank you user for this wonderful webm

Attached: tyrone laughing.gif (264x242, 3.23M)

>Corporate tier
RHEL, SUSE
>God tier
OpenSUSE, Fedora, CentOS, Linux From Scratch
>Good tier
Debian, Slackware, Gentoo
>Shit tier
Arch, Mint
>CIA tier
Ubuntu

I liked signed, trustful packages
t. Debian power user

>trusting a bunch of user devs to make arch easier
>not just spending the time to set up a base system yourself
wew

Why don't people like Ubuntu?

Attached: 1515371182403.jpg (750x1334, 176K)

ubuntu is to debian as manjaro is to arch
easymode

Lots of half-baked ideas that ended up dividing their users, seperate distros for DEs for what should be a simple script, one of the worst installers I've ever used, you can't stop ubuntu from sending that first install report unless you block the packets on your network, ppas are now fucking clunky.
What more do you want?

Weird how Jow Forums hates, everyone else recommends it for beginners because it's "easy" to use.

basically what posted + snaps a shit
I liked older ubuntu releases though. Unity was comfy.

But I am.

Attached: 2019-01-05-172738_725x364_scrot.png (725x364, 187K)

>everyone else recommends it for beginners
precisely why Jow Forums hates it

I acknowledge that SUSE is a top tier distro, but I hate yast. Just give me yum and vim and let me live my life
agree but move everything from good tier to god tier and corporate tier to god tier
good for beginners, infuriating to people who want to do things manually. Imagine being given a bike with training wheels but the training wheels are welded on so the only way to get rid of the training wheels is to get a whole new bike

bruh there's no shame in starting out with Ubuntu. Depending on your enthusiasm for tech, staying there can be fine too.
Some power users appreciate a distro that gives more control, like Arch. You also sometimes get better performance, battery life, security, etc

AlienBOB got a lot of stuff that is handy for Slackware

Because Antergos is Arch without the superiority complex

Well that guy you responded to makes a good point, and valid reasons to not like something. Separate distros for changing a DE? Pretty silly but I'm guilty: I use Xubuntu.

But understand we have these threads constantly for 10+ years at this point. Easier to tell someone to fuck off, er, Install Gentoo.

Odds are it's some Archfag that's talking about how they don't like Ubuntu. Not saying is, but do keep that in mind. All sorts of elitism on this board so get used it.

At the end of the day there's little barriers from trying these distros out yourself. Explore and form your own opinion.

Attached: i do it with ubuntu.jpg (401x349, 24K)

>imagine being given a bike with training wheels but the training wheels are welded on so the only way to get rid of the training wheels is to get a whole new bike
This is the only explanation you need

that awful name tho
I question their decision making abilities

Are you baiting or something? Just read the beginners guide docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide

most big time distros are easy to install, opensuse, debian, fedora, and centos are all great intro distros too.
I'm actually an opensuse fag, I'm not trying to come off as elitist, my problem with ubuntu lies with how it has been handled, hell I used to use 12.04, but anything that is and past 16.04 has been an utter shitshow, unity failed, though I blame all this garbage on what is the gnome team.

Attached: 1544092410841.jpg (531x505, 87K)

Stop using systemd you degenerate.

Shouldn't low grade shitposts like yours belong in /b/?

Attached: 1544296682881.png (412x368, 150K)

Easy there, anime pedo cuck.

Wow, someone's projecting. Don't forget to blow stallmans greasy cock if you hate systemd so much.

Attached: 1540152326959.jpg (419x400, 28K)

>t.

Attached: 1546470304909.jpg (720x540, 56K)

>still hasn't told anyone why sytemd is bad
>can only hurl insults
>baby bitches fee fees got hurty wurty
Might want to hang a noose around your room temp IQ neck before you think of posting again you fat fetishist.

Attached: 1545859019355.jpg (682x548, 37K)

Because they don't just werk and I don't give enough of a shit to not be bothered by that.

It's a colossal monolithic turdlog developed by Red Hat that's rooting itself deep into GNU/Linux distros.

It acts like a literal cancer, consuming vital system utilities until it finally takes over the ecosystem, extinguishes the alternatives and makes itself unavoidable by forcing most of your software to depend on it.

It's a virulent plague that seeks to destroy freedom of choice and pretty much turn Linux into Windows.

holy fuck this is ugly, you should be absolutely ashamed. Default KDE looks better than this.

It has a nigger name and Jow Forums told me to hate niggers

Good to know I'm the only one who doesn't understand the appeal of Ubuntu. Unity served its purpose- it was a kick in the pants for GNOME and KDE, who were years behind the times in 2010. Unity failed to continue innovating, though, and Ubuntu's distro upgrades are still highly prone to breaking shit. I guess that last part helps with familiarity for Windows users, though.

Not him but, ideological issues aside, if most of your software won't work without systemd, shouldn't you just use systemd?
I understand that systemd itself is bad.
I understand that the very mindset I'm expressing, by saying you should just use it because you need it, is exactly how it became a plague and continues to spread.
All that being said, if it works by making you need it, and it's working, then it logically follows that you need it, right?
And if you need it, shouldn't you just go ahead and have it?

See

All good reasons, sure, but I don't see any that outweigh the fact of needing it to run your preferred software.

Convince me to use anything other than ubuntu.

Millions of people are happily using Win10. Just enjoy the ride if systemd works for you.

There it is, now was that so hard just to say, instead of shitposting your way through all of it? Also, you have to go the fuck back to plebbit with that spacing of yours. Though I do agree that it is choking other choices out, but if they can't compete with a "better" option, then should they have a right to exist solely as another option, surely someone has made something to compete with systemd in terms of functionality, and if there isn't and people get fed up, the community will handle those problems like it always has.
Someone linked sources, it took that much fighting to do, and some of these are good reasons from that wiki, congrats, you have 2 brain cells to rub together.

Attached: 1545706016536.jpg (471x320, 38K)

Here are the pros of ubuntu as I understand / have experienced:
>you can install cutting edge versions of software, if you happen to need them, without having to build them from source, which is infuriatingly time-consuming on low-performance machines (>inb4 get a high-performance machine: what if you are poor) (>inb4 poorfag: being poor is not always a choice) (>inb4 being poor is always a choice: )
>you can get hardware working without much effort
>most linux software that isn't buried shit-deep in the full-on gnu / fsf philosophy is designed for ubuntu due to its prevalence