What does Jow Forums think of GNOME?

Attached: app-view.png (940x528, 426K)

>FOOT

Default looks like ass.

I'd be OK with it if it was fast

>anything fat and bloated
>fast
pick one

I've never really given it much of a chance. It's so different from how I believe a computer should behave that I can't stand to test it for more than a few minutes before I download the KDE iso like I should have done in the first place.

I don't hate GNOME, but I dislike how the tweak tool is mandatory to make it worthwhile.

a good UI for elderly

I truly gave my best effort to get used to Gnome 3 when it came out. I kept flip-flopping between it and Unity, but my dislike of both eventually pushed me to distro hopping. I went from Bodhi (Moksha desktop), to Ultimate Edition with XFCE, to Deepin - and I stayed on Deepin for over two years - but I am back on the *buntu bandwagon, and now I run Plasma. I loved the beauty of Deepin DE, but I missed the flexibility of Gnome 2, yet Mate just feels old, stale, and ugly to me now.

Gnome changed too much too fast and I hate how they went from being one of the most flexible desktops to being one of the most restrictive.

why would i go out of xfce lmao

>single threaded javascript desktop
Kektastrophe

adventure time!
other than a few annoyances xfce is perfect

only desktop that can be used with a keyboard by default and is very modular. not need for installing knigger dependencies

The only good DE besides KDE, anything else is Jow Forums neckbeard faggotry

Did they fix that huge ram leaking already?

I'm actually on KDE myself. I know this desktop environment is supposed to be better, but you know what they say, old habits, they die hard.

>I loved the beauty of Deepin DE

Attached: double_deepin.png (1055x266, 50K)

ram is there to be used
unused ram has no benefit

You DO realize Jow Forums hates everything right?

Microsoft: Let's alienate all of our users who love us by completely changing our interface
Windows users: Fuck you
Gnome: Windows changed their interface and pissed everyone off, it's a golden opportunity to gain some desktop share. We better do the same thing as Windows!
Everyone switches to Mate or Plasma

I like the workflow but the piss poor performance and obscene ram usage keeps me on kde plasma

hate the way you're meant to use it

Surprisingly, my parents found Cinnamon easier to use.

*blocks your path since 3.0+*

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-05 18-01-07.png (1600x900, 1.31M)

Attached: images.jpg (189x267, 7K)

I like it

but then, i have autism

Yes, after being shamed left and right by the press. But no, it's not a "memory leak"
Great argument, faggot

DE - Desktop Environment. "I loved the beauty," as in, what it looks like.
However, you are correct, my move away from Deepin was definitely also motivated by the threat of botnet. It wasn't only due to Deepin being inflexible.

no thumbnails

Sorta what Gnome 3 shoulda been.

Jow Forumsnome

looks like iphone

My father-in-law is over 80. He's an old perv and he kept getting viruses. I gave him Kubuntu and he adapted in no time. As long as he can launch a web browser and Skype, he doesn't care about anything else. I can see Cinnamon being just as easy. Anything with a bottom bar, a menu on the bottom left, and task icons, is familiar enough.

gnome fags are huge applefags

Don't have time to filter out all the crud from gnome. Should be like that oob. Also you can't fix the shit architecture no matter what you do

Over 60% RAM usage there. What other programs were open when you took that shot? I'm running KDE Connect, Firefox, and Steam, plus I have a weather widget and rotating wallpaper every 10 seconds.

Attached: Untitled.png (1280x800, 758K)

you could run top to see whats consuming ram
the absolute state of linux users

Update you god-damned processor, guy.
Modern Pentiums are superior to your relic.

looks pretty but too slow
xfce will always be king

Gnome is my favorite DE.
I think the Activities overview is genius.

Some of the design could be tightened up.
I always hide those chunky titlebars on maximized apps.
Make the tweak tool less necessary. I love Dark Mode.

It's pretty fast on Fedora 29
GNOME finally decent

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux

Attached: elliott.jpg (648x429, 36K)

Slow and looks like shit. Never understood why people use it.

Fucking awful.

Attached: image0.jpg (1333x697, 139K)

Seriously. Looks like an applecuck's wet dream.

Babby UI

Attached: p31H5wX9 (2018_12_23 22_22_56 UTC).jpg (439x439, 32K)

macOS has desktop icons by default tho

I got it for free! :) Paired with my 7-year-old GPU, it plays Proton and Linux games with great frame rates. No need to upgrade till I play a game I like that doesn't work well.

I tried it but it was confusing and not very easy to customize without installing a bunch of shell extensions. I would not recommend it to anyone, especially when every other DE does a better job

Oh, excuse me, I must have misspoke. I forgot that you need a 999+ IQ to build and place a fucking icon.

I will flaggelate myself promptly.

>got it for free
Then all is forgiven.

Defaults are unusable shit, breddy good with a few plugins and a theme that doesnt waste so much space
Animations are laggy on xorg
On wayland animations are smooth, but games lag like ass

I'm gonna stick with xfce, it just werks.

Imagine a DE that has as many features and capabilities as its counterparts, but with 4 times the resource usage of said counterparts, and 2 times the recourse usage of its more feature full, graphically slick counter part.
You get GNOME.
As functionally minimal as your average DE like XFCE or MATE, but with four times the bloat.
Slightly less eye candy capabilities than KDE, and MUCH less built in functionality, but twice the recourse usage, with even more bloat when you add extensions to make it usable.
I used GNOME for a year cause of bug in KDE that didn't let my laptop suspend properly and cause anything else besides it and MATE have sub - par 4k scaling.
I've been using KDE for half a year now and don't miss it one bit. Hell, I can even make it function practically identically to GNOME if I like with its customizability and basically have a less recourse hungry version of it.
GNOME 3 belongs absolutely nowhere, good riddance

Attached: Inglourious.Basterds.2009.1080p.BluRay.x264.AC3-ETRG.Screenshot (9).jpg (1920x800, 755K)

Yeah, I've been using Fedora 29 and actually find Gnome to be pretty comfy these days. Using the keyboard to navigate a lot more without going full autist.

I think it's probably gnot a gnelf an gnot a gnoblin.

I used unity with ubuntu for 2 years and now I'm using gnome 3 with fedora 29. I like it because I barely have to input anything with the mouse to open programs.

>GNOME
It's a silly phone/tablet GUI with desktop and laptop target users. I didn't like GNOME2 when it came out because it had fewer features than GNOME1. Apparently that was intentional. GNOME3 is even more restrictive both when it comes to what you can do in terms of customization and how you do your work. One size fits all, if it doesn't then screw you.

Think about this for a moment:
>We need to remove the possibility of using themes so it looks the same everywhere, otherwise distros and people will make changes
What kind of power-hungry authoritarian control-freak developers are we dealing with when it comes to GNOME?

KDE and XFCE4 if KDE is a bit too much are the only good options imho. I'm sad to say that XFCE4 may not have much of a future, though. It's based on GTK3 now (4.13+) and GNOME developers love to randomly break GTK in ways that hurt competing desktops and apps that either compete with GNOME apps or don't comply with GNOME demands - like when they asked Transmission to remove system tray support because GNOME doesn't have that. They really didn't like that Transmission developers insisted to keep supporting it because sane desktops like KDE and XFCE have system trays.

Attached: npc-meme-apocalypse-gray.jpg (1550x871, 177K)

I like the workflow of gnome since I am a tiling wm user , and gnome feels a lot more natural to me. I also like the search funcfion (super key + type what I want) I get what I want instantly.

With that said, when I installed Fedora 29 i had 2GB of ram used on idle after booting up, wtf?

Does anyone know how I can replicate the gnome search in a tiling wm?

>What kind of power-hungry authoritarian control-freak developers are we dealing with when it comes to GNOME?
Well, let's see, the two most successful operating systems have pretty much zero customization for their DE's, while Linux, with it's thousand and one choices, has not managed to break out of a 5% market share and produce a single acceptable DE of it's own. It's called focus, you retards. Forget the gimmick of the day bullshit and sit down and make something that works.

I use Gnome on Ubuntu and it uses much less than half of that at idle. I don't know what the hell Fedoras doing,but it's obviously wrong.

>download the KDE iso
>the KDE iso
>iso
for what fucking purpose
literally just install the package LOL

It's a default DE for a simple reason - anything else is just shit ootb. On ot's own its pretty good too. Very easy transition from Windows 10 to it. Good search.

see
that's literally your fault for installing everything retard. it uses a third the memory of plasma shell
this, clicktards have never used a window manager. Gnome is the patrician's sweet spot between keyboard and mouse usability plus the volume, network and screen backlight controls.
gross no, I don't want fucking mouse menus on my desktop. I'm glad they remove all that shit from my sight, use the keyboard.

You need to babysit and prune gnome 3 for it to use less than 1.2 gb. Plasma uses 400 mb with no tweaks right out of the box. Kys footfag

If it works for you, that's great. Why would anyone give half a shit?

>hurr durrr baby sit jshgdvrhduududhdurr
just install the gnome-session with --no-install-recommends fucking spoonfed retard

Killed all the chance that gnu/Linux had to become mainstream.
I fucking hate it.

Attached: dilminha.png (328x300, 154K)

>Install a DE
>Not use any of the DE apps
>Having to not install anything to even get it to be usable
Absolute state of footfags

>hurr durr snfdhusf no apps
I boot below 500MB and I have everything I need from the DE, nautilus files, gnome terminal, control panel, appearance tweaks, calculator, torrent client.
What's your point? Installing the whole GNOME application suite haves shit that track files and manages online accounts. Stop baiting.
Jow Forums just hates gnome because it's popular and the default of all distros with actual market share:
Debian, Centos, Ubuntu, RHEL, Fedora.
It's even the first option in the openSUSE installer despite what KDEfags tell you, because they haven't installed suse in years they don't know now gnome is the first option

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-05 22-31-17.png (1600x900, 1.2M)

Shitty for keyboard users compared to tiling window managers. Shitty for mouse users compared to every other desktop environment. Gnome truly is bottom tier.

I think its just alphabetical, nothing to do with "defaultness".

What DE should I use then?

none, install gnome-session.
add exec gnome-session to xinitrc.
startx.
enjoy unbloated gnome shell

Cinnamon. It's what Gnome should have been.

GNOME looks like a tablet UI for no good fuckin' reason.

They said they did that to cater to convertibles, but convertibles never took off.

Just forget about gnome, it's over. Don't be sad that its over, be happy it happened. Not everything can be a success.

GNOME is default DE of RedHat/Linux and it here to stay for quite a time.
There is nothing better anyway.

Yes, I know. It's hilarious!

>servers with touchscreens

Attached: 1546497492632.jpg (474x468, 27K)

Does it include file indexer for that super-search thing?

nice is it wasn't for the overhead, lag and bugs

gnome-shell on wayland and gnome-terminal are OK.

sudo apt-get remove --purge snapd gnome-software

of course

Is the best by making the competition worse by forcing them to use gtk3+ apps

GTK is okay. Less bloat than Qt. Not an over "engineered" C++ crap. Just werks.

way to heavy on ressources for what it's delivering. i really like the minimalist approach, but it's hunger for ram is inexcusable. unity is unironically what gnome shell should be.

PS.: it's design makes it unusable on smaller screens like the X220. too much wasted space and giant buttons.

I don't know if this has been said already, but GNOME always looked like a tablet or phone OS ported to a PC to me
Maybe it's because I started with windows and KDE is just closer to that feel, but I've tinkered with pretty much everything by now and GNOME keeps giving me off the vibe of tablet OS

Best DE ever. Haters gonna hate.

Attached: thefoot.jpg (600x899, 199K)

You're just a baby duck that is too attached to the shitty desktop metaphor.

You're in a gnome thread, /spg/ is somewhere else.

Attached: 1543112929722.jpg (652x680, 55K)

learn to read retard

I have found gnome to be the closest to win10 in "feel" ootb than everything else i tried, huh.

>one application at a time with no sharing between them ever is the future!
You sure you're not stuck in the past?

>learn to read retard
I said exactly what I meant, iToddler. Bent your iPad Pro already? Or are you a baby duck syndrome victim?

Best window manager apart from i3.

Prove it.

Please stop, you're embarrassing yourself anons.

install KDE

>many simple tasks such as turning off bluetooth take seconds to execute
No thanks

just take the device out of range, no need for buttons and clicking

and a healthy exercise as well!

gnome 2 >>>>> everything else >>>>> gnome3