/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: mcuf4pc.jpg (1536x2048, 210K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/BmJVP3
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bbYrsZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/Qhhq8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=MG-onUm__c8
amazon.ca/Screwdriver-Durable-Electronics-Electronic-Appliances/dp/B06XHWL4SK/ref=sr_1_1?dd=WCWfkG5bT58C4IAF2dQInA,,&ddc_refnmnt=pfod&ie=UTF8&qid=1546742464&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+screwdriver&refinements=p_97:14479221011&th=1
amazon.ca/Mijia-Screwdriver-Precision-Magnetic-Storage/dp/B076TD86WN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546743361&sr=8-2&keywords=xiaomi screwdriver set
pcpartpicker.com/product/8Wzkcf/msi-x470-gaming-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-pro
pcpartpicker.com/list/tVqk3b
pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for AMD.

When the fuck should I update my PC? I have NO idea what the fuck is going on right now in terms of processors. I just need a new mobo and a new processor. Holy fuck.

DUDE RAZERRRRRRRR

Best place to buy GPUs online? I hear people say not to buy from newegg

Gamers Rule.

Are failure issues with the RTX series serious enough to put off buying the 2080 ti until the kinks are worked out?

if you need something now then buy now

>I hear people say not to buy from newegg
why not?

imagine having a son like this haha

is this where the boomer monster ultra meme came from?

AMD has a solid situation, Intel does not
Post-CES we should be seeing news on their 7nm and 10nm products (probably more on 7nm though)
Doesn't matter, just do whatever PCPartPicker says is best for your model

Attached: illust_63256481_20190105_185814.png (928x1000, 288K)

After the announcement when do the new AMD products hit the shelves?

>i5-9600k
>Asus Prime Z370-P II
>16GB DDR4 RAM
>GTX 2070
>600W PSU
>500GB SSD
>Cooler + case

Price: 1399 €

Am I getting ripped off? Is something lacking? Or is this a good deal? Does the cpu bottleneck the gpu?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/BmJVP3
>i have a Vega 56
>i need a CPU cooler
>i have a 1tb ssd and 1tb HDD
Is this build okay? what should i change/upgrade?

Attached: newbuild.png (1123x396, 47K)

>no Razer gaming socks
execute the deceiver

Not terrible, but you can definitely do better for cheaper if you're in a country with good stock. If you don't have as many options, it's alright.
Example build (tried to keep it similar):
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bbYrsZ
So you're saying you don't have any of this yet? Why would you get a 1700X?
Why would you buy everything from Amazon at a higher cost? Overpriced motherboard btw

Attached: IMG_20190105_191046.png (900x630, 108K)

How much did your complete build cost? Would about $2500 be overkill for a complete setup? Meaning PC, Monitor, keyboard, mouse etc?

No.

Building that example build where I live would cost:
1441 €
+ 85 for case if it doesnt fit inside my existing one
SSD and PSU not counted in as I already have those.

Lads, what's the best budget (around 100-200 euro) freesync monitor for a rx580

for gaming btw

Depends
Mechanical keyboards and wireless mice can cost a lot, meaning your PC would be more reasonable
I would never buy a 9900K or 2080 Ti though
Where
Do
You
Live
Why does nobody ever specify

Attached: IMG_20190105_190844.png (1000x649, 151K)

>Where do you live
Finland. Sorry.

Should I be waiting for the new processor announcements before I do anything? I just need a new fucking processor and a new mobo but my goal is to do a large upgrade so I won't have to do it again for a long time.

>Should I be waiting
Yes.

Haven't bought anything aside from what I specified.
I realize Mobo is overpriced but I was thinking x470 would be better for OCing the 1700x
>1700x
Is a lot cheaper than a 2700x and I figure a good OC would make it much better performance/$
>Amazon
I'm not worried too much about 5-$10 differences especially since these all have prime shipping

>Anyway, it's essential to have B- or E-die for memory overclocking or you probably won't get very far, especially on AMD.
I'm not interesting in manually overclocking my RAM but everywhere has people saying that you need 3000+mhz for Ryzen. Is there actually a significant enough performance benefit to double the price? I could nearly buy a 1TB SSD for games for that price.

Is a Ryzen 5 2600 a worthy upgrade from a i5-2500k?

Fuck guys I plugged everything in, the fans spin and the lights light up but it's not displaying. Tried it with HDMI and VGA. I'm using a B350m with a ryzen 2200g, running off integrated graphics, no GPU

I need a bit of a hand guys I've been out of the game for a while,

I'm putting to gather a totally new pc, I'm gona be going 2nd hand for the most part because I'm a poorfag, I've found a 1080ti for £470 (not bad for a britfag) along with a d15 cheapo case and m2& hd combo, but I'm just Trying to work out the CPU and MB situation atm what do you guys recommend? I was planning to go with something last gen for second hand market avalibitity but I want to know what you all think. Thanks

It's a $40 difference on the processor and $20 on the PSU, this is not just pennies
If you want purely price/performance, do this:
pcpartpicker.com/list/Qhhq8Y
Yes
What is your budget?

Attached: illust_62734020_20190105_185821.png (720x1000, 153K)

ips or va for vidya ?
does anyone actually have a va monitor, have you noticed trailing / ghosting while gaming ?

Attached: f02685873121039aeba8b758f5070fb5.jpg (618x650, 24K)

newegg is solid.
newegg's outlet thing has slow ass shipping but the prices are good.
B&H or whatever they're called took fucking forever to ship my shit, would not use again.
Amazon is usually cheap enough that, if you have prime, it's actually best to go through them for a lot of stuff once you factor in shipping fees.

>210 for 1700x
fuck no you can get that for 150.

Does anyone use a Meshify C? How are the temps? I see that it has a plate to mount SSDs behind the mobo/CPU. Doesn't that make the SSDs really hot? I'm concerned the CPU and SSDs will both be running at high temps being back-to-back like that.

IPS is better for sure but VA isn’t bad. With VA you get the blur effect in games when you turn the camera around quickly. It really doesn’t look terrible, it actually does look like an intentional motion blur effect, but IPS is smooth as fuck and looks better. If you’re going to spend a lot, go with IPS. If you’re trying to save some cash, VA isn’t much of a compromise.

I really have no clue where finland orders from, but if you don't need the extra stuff just get the things you need from my list (or ones similar to it)
The only SSDs that get hot are NVMe, which always have to be on the motherboard

Attached: illust_63634149_20190105_185810.png (883x1000, 215K)

Is the stock cooler on the 2700x good? Should I go for a NH-D15?

What would 1 nm processors be like? Would they be low wattage enough to kill the desktop?

PLEASE HELP

Attached: realwarface.png (635x480, 348K)

Does your motherboard have a led diagnostic, it should be displaying a POST code if it fails to boot.

It's great for stock and small overclocks
A D15 is great for big overclocks, but these are entirely different uses.
1nm is physically impossible for silicon, and probably impossible for other semiconductors
Also, processors barely go down in power usage per-transistor anymore, they just have more transistors. A 1nm processor wouldn't be that much better than 3nm, which is technically possible.
Maybe the BIOS is outdated
Check that everything is plugged in right

Attached: IMG_20190105_191034.png (806x1200, 297K)

>!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!
what did he mean by this?

Also, make sure your RAM is in the correct slots (both in A2 and B2, check the motherboard manual). Try taking one stick out, and booting with only one at a time to make sure it's not faulty RAM.

Gonna go out on a tard limb here

What do I need to have plugged in?

I've plugged in everything for the panel, the CPU, the CPU fan, the motherboard power, the other fan powered on, the hard drive plugged in

I've tested it with both VGA + HDMI

the problem is there is literally no display

does ram need to be hooked up to display?
Will the computer display without RAM? Sorry im a total fuckin tare

All I see in that pic is a kid that is going to face his ignorance of the real world when he leave high school / college

His parents perpetuated it too

AMD is going to fuck Intel bareback without lube. Going in dry and hungry.

youtube.com/watch?v=MG-onUm__c8

what are the implications of this for somebody looking to build now?

>no Razer themed case
Disgusting.

Attached: nzxt-hero.png (940x573, 182K)

>does ram need to be hooked up to display?
Yes, and in the correct slots. There should be 4 slots, yes? Have you carefully read your motherboard manual to ensure you put them in the right slots?

Also, relax. Don't panic. Your system isn't fucked, you just need to calmly trouble shoot it until it works.

Someone justify for me why I should upgrade? I don't play anything demanding anymore besides maybe Arma 3, why should I spend the money unless something dies out? I was considering just replacing GPU with a 580, but I mean is it even worth it if I don't play much of anything anymore?

Attached: speccy.png (490x374, 21K)

Is this a good screwdriver for pc building? Kinda lost on this subject...
amazon.ca/Screwdriver-Durable-Electronics-Electronic-Appliances/dp/B06XHWL4SK/ref=sr_1_1?dd=WCWfkG5bT58C4IAF2dQInA,,&ddc_refnmnt=pfod&ie=UTF8&qid=1546742464&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+screwdriver&refinements=p_97:14479221011&th=1

>what are the implications of this for somebody looking to build now?
Prices on preexisting hardware will most likely go down in price, and new products being revealed that might be better value then what you're looking at now.

>Massively overpriced hardware
>Lots of known issues
What do you think.

>I really have no clue where finland orders from
Why were you so rude when you asked for their country if was, like always, to do absolutely nothing with that info, then?

I put the RAM slot in the slot it marked as DIMM 1 so I'm pretty sure it's in the right place. I'm going to remove it and see if it'll post

Do you have 1 ram only?

B450 or X470 for a 2700x?

Yes, 8gb stick of DDR4

unfortunately the computer doesn't beep when booted with no RAM like it should, so that further complicates things.

X470, especially because of future-proofing for the upcoming Zen 2 CPUs

How safe is liquid cooling? Will it ever leak?

I do have the mini. I have 6 fans (2 intakes and 3 exhausts)
the SSD's temps are in the image too. the highest temps i had were 48C but i live in the Caribbeans and my room temperature can reach up to 36C

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 529K)

>AMD has a solid situation, Intel does not
what a pathetic & compulsive lying shill. their situation is not solid at all and STILL CAN'T COMPETE WITH INTEL
> but muh AMD has 120,000 cores and not ONE of them can perform as well as intel's.. where it FUCKING MATTERS.

AMD BTFO YET AGAIN

If you were really confused I would probably try to help but at this point you know the system better than I do so there isn't a point to it
I am curious though, where does Finland buy from?
Probably the whole thing once you feel comfortable with the purchase
Only thing worth keeping is the SSD
X470 for sure

Attached: illust_70972938_20190105_185659.png (840x1000, 282K)

it depends on your needs and how badly you treat your pc.

An AIO won't leak. A custom loop will only leak if you fuck up when setting it up.

amazon.ca/Mijia-Screwdriver-Precision-Magnetic-Storage/dp/B076TD86WN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546743361&sr=8-2&keywords=xiaomi screwdriver set

>Being this much of an Intel fanboy as to blindly defend their greedy ass

Attached: 1546573066265.jpg (360x360, 32K)

make sure the monitor is on.

If you don't play shit then don't upgrade.

AIO's usually don't, but it's not unheard of for it to happen. Usually, the AIO manufacturer is pretty good about reimbursing you for the mobo or GPU if it gets damaged while under warranty.

As for custom loops, if you do a shit job, of course it can leak.

mmm normally a pc won't post because of ram (maybe outdated bios) and you shouldn't have one stick only, you should go with 2

it's not safe at all and is absolutely fucking useless. consider it a meme. a decent size cooler is all you need.
stop recommending cancerous and expensive solutions that are nothing more that pure bullshit for dumb cunts.
> says an AMD SHILL
AMD BTFO FOR ETERNITY

pcpartpicker.com/product/8Wzkcf/msi-x470-gaming-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-pro
Is this a good X470 board?

okay, that could be good, because I've been looking at doing a budget 1080p60 AMD build. I'll hold fire for now

I have an 8700 you Intel shill, however I recognize that Zen 2 is going to BTFO Intel. And since I'm not loyal to any brand, I'm perfectly fine with that.

specs look good. price isn't too bad either.

Seems pretty solid to me user. Good price too

I should have two sticks, I don't NEED two. My bigger problem is the computer won't display. What could be loose? I reseeted the motherboard power and CPU power already

How does this look? I am a little worried about the giant ass fan though not having room.
pcpartpicker.com/list/tVqk3b

Why are you using Yagi's art as an avatar?

Thanks for posting temps, seems like it's no problem them.

you need two for dual channel, it could be 2 sticks of 4gb ram for a total of 8gb.

my advice is to check everything again, including the manuals, see if your components really are compatible using pcpartpicker, check the psu if it has enough energy and finally check out if you need to update your bios but for this you'll need to test the mobo with other components.

> however I recognize that Zen 2 is going to BTFO Intel
things that will never happen

user, breadboard it. Go part by part.

I live in a country with 10 months of hellish temps and it never got past 40c with fewer fans than it has now so yeah, it's really good with temps. just keep it clean every few months.

Not him, but why not?

Attached: 2347beaa349e8a5c6797bdd2202834c654c5fae76325a5b55eb9ad3aa43364ba.jpg (2560x1707, 438K)

It's cheap, you get the basics and a somewhat mediocre but not terrible 4-phase VRM
PCPartPicker checks for heatsink compatibility, it's fine
A 9700K is unnecessary here, you could use a 2600 and get the same performance. Also your PSU isn't anything amazing. I would suggest cutting down CPU/motherboard and investing in more SSD space
Intel has no 10nm release date, it could be next year for all we know
AMD has the all clear for free money at this point

Attached: IMG_20190105_185415.png (780x1000, 145K)

I haven't really got a fixed budget, I want to stay around the 1000-1200 Mark. But I'm probably going to be trying vr soon so I may go higher if recommended

I'm manly focused on just not bottle necking the 1080ti. I've been thinking of going with the amd 2600

I'm guessing that glows in the dark. And is running Debian.

48c*

I would look for the Noctua's RAM height clearance and see if yoir RAM has enough space. Also, 500 W Bronze seems like pretty little to me user.

>Compatibility Check: No issues/incompatibilities found.
its ok

I like Yagi's art, it would make for a good avatar, but using avatars is [spoiler]AGAINST THE RULES[/spoiler]

>you could use a 2600 and get the same performance

Attached: lolwut.jpg (768x576, 111K)

Rules are for cucks.

How did I fuck this up

A 9700K would definitely give more fps than a 2600 though, especially if OC'd.

Is this better then or overkill?
pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

God dammit, I'll just do it tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Attached: if only you knew.png (1140x1140, 450K)