GNU/Linux works terribly on my laptop what do

Using i5 Huawei Matebook X Pro. Literally worse performance across the board regardless of distros compared to windows.
- Only 2 out of 4 speaker works. I can use hdajackrestack fix, however the sound quality still not as good as the back speakers are very quiet
- Pinch/zoom trackpad gesture doesn't work
- Windows can last 10 hours out of the box, while GNU/Linux I only get 5-7 hours despite using TLP

Distros tested: Mint, Manjaro (KDE), Ubuntu (Gnome), OpenSUSE

Attached: serveimage.png (906x763, 327K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200501
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The solution is to stop buying chinkware.

>buy nihao trash
>omg it doesnt work with something not factory installed!
no shit sherlock

> 2019
> Being surprised Linux still sucks to use

There's a reason the marketshare never grew. It's not only unusable by gamers/professionals, it's hamfisted and clumsy just for the basics.

It has good reviews and much cheaper than its competitors (XPS13, Macbook Air, etc).

I ain't got time to install gentoo meme and already wasted a lot of time by installing the mainstream distros, none of which worked that great. It shouldn't be this much of a struggle just to get the whole thing to work

This is one of the few disadvantages of Linux. If the manufacturer isn't releasing Linux drivers then you'll have to wait for them to be written. This is doubly true for laptops. If you plan on using Linux as your main OS you should wait a year for desktops and two years for laptops. If you really want a brand new laptop with Linux support then your only real option is a Chromebook, which runs Linux natively. Unlocking the bootloader and installing any Linux distro with a fairly new kernel and proprietary firmware bundled should get any Chromebook 100% functional.

You should've researched this before buying. Try Windows 10 LTSC or something that will at least let you disable the forced updates and remove the shitty bloatware.

Attached: 1539201593026.jpg (250x241, 25K)

Another option is system76 for new laptops. Dell also makes developer edition laptops with Ubuntu instead of windows. HP and Lenovo do as well for workstations.

OP made a mistake thinking his Walmart laptop with custom hardware would be supported out of the box

I've got an xps 13 and it lacks the same functionality + touchscreen is tap only and can't recognize long taps or multiple fingers anymore.
Tried every guide i found but can't get it working.

>OP made a mistake thinking his Walmart laptop with custom hardware would be supported out of the box
Why is it all dedicated GNU/Linux laptop more expensive than the Windows counterparts? System76, KDE Slimbooks, Purism all don't have to pay for Windows license (up to 50 bucks per user at least), but dolarydoos per performance they always pale in comparison of your regular 1000 bucks range ultrabooks from Dell, HP, Huawei, etc.

>he fell for the loonix meme
Install LTSC.

Attached: 1534045287666.webm (1920x1080, 265K)

The speakers issue is weird, that shouldn't be a driver issue.
The battery life thing is about what you run.
I usually get good results with TLP, powertop and lighter software / less daemons.

Yeah sure.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Dell makes more laptops than purism.

>The speakers issue is weird, that shouldn't be a driver issue.
It is a documented kernel issue
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200501

The hdajackrestack fix is allright, but the sound is incredibly low even with pulse audio mixed at maximum. The battery life comparison is apt, 10 hours shitposting on windows 10 with debloat script vs. ~6 hours on linux with TLP preset on

>have to pay for Windows license (up to 50 bucks per user at least)
I pay 4 € per Windows 10 Pro license from Ebay.

Don't System76 just sell Clevos with a ridiculous markup

Protip on buying Laptops to run Linux. Buy a workstation laptop like Thinkpads for example. They just work with Linux and many times you don't even need to install drivers. Consumer shit is hit or miss.

Dell laptops work pretty well with Linux. Many of them have models with Ubuntu preinstalled too.

What laptops do RedHat employees use?

should have gotten a thinkpad, user.

Mostly ThinkPads, macbooks, elitebooks.
I like my folio

>GNU/Linux works terribly on my laptop what do
Stop using it.
fpbp

Attached: harro amellica.jpg (1024x1024, 179K)

>using TLP
did you edit any of the options?

Are you from RedHat?
Do employees run RHEL on them or use whatever?

this

this but not just for lunix; you can also buy them refurbished

HP folio? It looks really nice, and it's the first HP i tried in store for a while that has a decent trackpad.

Depends on the department, I'm a pretty chill guy for a sysadmin and run my shit through qubesos.

Elitebook Folio yes, can't remember the exact model atm.

True. Laptops made for business tend to last longer than consumer laptops. I still have a T430 I bought from my old work place due to them replacing them and it still works like a champ. Heck there are still even older Thinkpads running in the wild out there with NASA using them on the ISS.

gnuToddlers BTFO

>actually using laptop's builtin speakers
Seriously, those things sound like trash no matter what laptop it is, just use headphones or proper external speakers, no laptop builtin speaker has enough sound quality to be usable so why do you care?
>inch/zoom trackpad gesture doesn't work
Who the fuck cares about some fucking meme gesture? it's a computer not a fucking smartphone.

Anyway, you need to be careful when buying hardware for Gnu/Linux, there are many rough edges on less common and old hardware, generally you want to buy something you can read reviews online of people using Gnu/Linux on it. The battery life problem sucks and you're lucky, I have a laptops with worse Linux support, next time get a chickpad or something Jow Forums recommended.

>Seriously, those things sound like trash no matter what laptop it is, just use headphones or proper external speakers, no laptop builtin speaker has enough sound quality to be usable so why do you care?
The speaker on the Matebook is actually one of the best in 2018 laptops. On windows it is fantastic. I use the laptop speaker to play music while I'm in the shower and general background noise streaming podcasts etc while working alone.

>Who the fuck cares about some fucking meme gesture? it's a computer not a fucking smartphone.
I'm a trackpad user through and through. The lack of smooth continuous zoom is a big letdown because I read a lot of scientific papers where I need to quickly zoom in/out of figures.

Overall, I understand it could have been worse. I'm currently dual booting with Windows just for playing music and watching movies.

Check for hardware compatibility before buying. That's the #1 problem with Linux right now.

What did you try to prove?

>The speaker on the Matebook is actually one of the best in 2018 laptops. On windows it is fantastic.
Dude, seriously NO LAPTOP not matter how expensive is going to give enough sound quality to listen to music on it, they simply can't no matter how expensive the laptop is due to physics, small driver = no bass (and no mids too) just use external speakers, you still get better sound by blasting from other room than laptop audio in the same room, also you can always do like I do which is bringing speakers to the bathroom.
>The lack of smooth continuous zoom is a big letdown because I read a lot of scientific papers where I need to quickly zoom in/out of figures.
Well, you can just press ctrl and scroll to zoom, it's kinda the same experience but requires pressing an extra key.

>Dude, seriously NO LAPTOP not matter how expensive is going to give enough sound quality to listen to music on it
Yeah I understand. It's a matter of how good though. I think on Windows the speakers are GOOD ENOUGH. If I want to watch a comfy movie on my bed on my laptop, it's a shame that I have to dual boot into windows rather than just play my movie on my main driver OS (which currently is Manjaro)

Also, are you sure you can't just independently control the audio outputs?
You should be able to add extra gain to the rear speakers on alsa settings.
Aost your output of "amixer"

Post*

LINUX IS TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: 1525266932679.jpg (600x706, 44K)

No, since it was bootstrapped through Pin override with hdajackrestack, the back speaker doesn't show up in alsamixer

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-06 05-39-34.png (1500x1000, 1.47M)

lol fuck chyna. this is what you get for being a turbo jew.

Isn't the back speaker "Bass speaker?"
If so just set master to 100% and "front" to 68%.
But I think I'm missing something here

GNU works extremely well on my Dell Latitude
No issues and 13 hour battery life (compared to 10 on Windows)

Thanks for the effort bro, but it didn't work. It just reduces the front speaker loudness, they're equalized now, but both are pretty low. As I said, it is a well reported kernel issue that is beyond me personally

My laptop was worse too with Ubuntu, ignore these lincucks. Its just not good for laptops at all and always runs worse than windows.

GAHNOOO
LOOONIX

Attached: 1543745387561.jpg (600x484, 25K)

My Acer Swift 1™ works better on Linux than on Windows 10