Debian unstable

seems like its the only way to go
pastebin.com/DUKKevjc

Attached: softWaves_wiki_banner_v3.png (680x340, 95K)

debian testing + just works + up to date + more stable + more binary packages - partial upgrade break system - freezes -> broken for weeks - huge influx of packages from unstable -> potentially breaks system debian unstable + stable + does not freeze + fix comes quickly - 'partially frozen' when testing is frozen debian testing/unstable mix + get missing/broken packages from another repo - difficult to set up - not recommended arch linux + fix comes quickly + more vanilla +/- DIY - always broken in some ways - less stable

Install Gentoo

and install dpkg + apt so that i can install .deb packages?
cuz compiling sucks

>compiling sucks
>liking bloated shit with all the configure flags enabled
>no -march=native
>no LTO
I mean, if your main machine is an actual toaster, it's understandable.

>compiling because muh bloat
>power usage of computer skyrocketing
>takes minutes or hours to install/update
no thanks

Keep sucking that bloated systemd cock then.

How much better gentoo benchmarks, vs, for example CentOS?

whats in the pastebin

click on the link and see it yourself

Debian stable with backports, you absolute degenerate.

Attached: n1.png (600x603, 456K)

what if the software i need is not present in backports?

Attached: think.jpg (800x742, 69K)

Debian is for the enlightened Jow Forumsentleman only, based and red pilled OP.

Attached: 1543662210852.jpg (663x707, 50K)

Unironically this

In benchmarks you will see around 5-10% improvement. But that is not the main gain. The main benefit is not having all the features baked in and loaded into memory in bigger user applications and underlying libraries. For example, not having everything on your system built in bluetooth, wifi, gstreamer and whatnot support, if you don't use any of those.

get a package source from sid and compile it on stable

why would you want your system to be unstable though

Attached: 1546228480391.gif (260x200, 62K)

Does not seem to be a big benefit for a single-user workstation (considering drawbacks), even if it is true.

I use Devuan and its perfect

Attached: 1536691591756.png (990x760, 820K)

My desktop system loads applications around 50% faster on Gentoo than on Debian and uses less RAM. I consider it a major benefit.

How powerfull your processor and how much RAM you have? How much (in seconds) do they load.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and 16GB of RAM. I never measured but the difference in loading time of the Plasma desktop is very noticeable. That said, unless you enjoy squeezing more out of your system, stick to Debian. Even if the kernel is optimized for server loads, it's still a pretty good distro.

brainlet here
is portage hard

Portage is the easy part. The hard part is configuring your kernel and then using portage to properly configure and install the system to your liking. Not because the procedure itself is hard, but because a fair amount of hardware and software knowledge is required to do so.

What devices devices you have?
What BUS are they on?
What do the various subsystems do?
Which program/driver/library should I use for task X and how are they different?
What does kernel module X change and should I enable it?

Gentoo is the most configurable distro out there, but you actually need to learn your shit to configure it.

Just bullshit

For desktop thats believable, I guess. For other applications that would be really strange.
I prefer Fedora/CentOS release model rather than debian. I'll switch from fedora to CentOS as soon as CentOS 8 is released.

I would probably install gentoo on my shitbook that I have in closet though just for the sake of install gentoo meme.

just use void

why would you use anything else?

>ponyOS

fuck man, that sounds autistic...
idk anymore

Its fine if you are interested in computers. If you are not and just want shit that you load like windows and it works ootb then its not for you obvously.

hmmm
how do you secure your gentoo box?

>just bullshit
k

dumb reason, you can always compile it yourself or find a personal repo. not worth reducing system stability for just one app

What if the package I need is outdated on sid ?

Like the eclipse package that is fucking 5 years old.

Attached: 4548490.jpg (100x100, 4K)

>incapable of modifying package source
even archfags can do it

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

If you want a binary distro, non-rolling, with systemd, and newer packages than Debian Stable, why not go Fedora instead? At least if it breaks you have Red Hat employees working to fix it.

Attached: 1486471344916.jpg (2000x2000, 190K)

>and newer packages
that's the same reason I'm not on unstable, I *don't* want to be bleeding-edge. It's a pain in the ass, I want to set things up once and then it just werks for two years because what updates there are are just security patches.

pretty much anything that ships a mainline kernel or mainline Firefox (instead of LTS and ESR) is moving way too fast in my opinion, and that definitely includes Fedora.