I have a doubt about this. Now i'm using Ubuntu...

I have a doubt about this. Now i'm using Ubuntu, but i'm here thinking i need more challenging and the question is: Arch vs Ubuntu vs Debian? i'm thinking of use Arch because have more challenge.

Arch is a good choice or i need to migrate to Debian first?

Attached: archubuntu.jpg (1280x720, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dbeaver.io/download/
code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

g e n t o o
e
n
t
o
o

i'll test the minimal in my VM.

Attached: 1545292157810.jpg (326x273, 19K)

U'r convincing me.

i use arch

Attached: 1546631456759.jpg (700x921, 108K)

>thinking i need more challenging
Linux From Scratch is your answer

I felt the same way. Arch can be a bit of a bitch tho. Try Debian (or Devuan if you're not sºy) and go from there. I ended up settling on Xubuntu for now.
I can tell.

>I need a more challenging operating system
lmao

>Arch vs Ubuntu vs Debian
They are all the same systemd garbage, install gentoo(or void).

Unironically gentoo

how do you actually install void? In all my installs the bootloader fails to install

Yup, i was thinking and i have studied LFS

Ubuntu is a fine distro if you are new and want everything to look userfriendly. It becomes a hurdle when you get more advanced user because of the PPAs, old packages, and various issues. The worst thing is huge noise when you look for help made by all the newbies that don't know what they are doing.
Debian is best for server. You can use for desktop but it shares some downsides from Ubuntu and has even worse repo.
Arch on the other hand has some significant entry threshold, but it is one of the best distros out there if you know what you are doing. It's rolling release so you always have newest packages and repo+AUR is huge. You can even find configs, nitche tools, proprietary software(no cracks) or games like DOOM there(no resource pack). You don't have to install anything manually and you can easily change any part of your system.

If you want challenge(aka learn new things) go for Arch. Pro tip: it's not as hard as people say. All it requires you is to RTFM. And the Arch wiki is great, making troubleshooting way easier than on Ubuntu or Debian.

Install Slackware

Thanks you have convinced me. I have decided i'll go use Arch

Arch isn’t a challenge to install. Lol. If you’re new to Linux use Ubuntu and work your way up so you don’t break anything

>In all my installs the bootloader fails to install
Install it yourself then

> Arch because more challenge
that's debian
i use arch btw

Slackware

Ubuntu 18.10 minimal install is nice and just werks.

Some extra work for removing bloatware is required though, but it is less work than *installing* everything in Arch.

When using Ubuntu, several programs I used (dbeaver, vscode) needed to be downloaded and installed without a package manager. Arch has those in official repos/AUR. In that sense, Ubuntu is more challenging than Arch.

Get good with Debian first, then move to Arch if you want a greater challenge.

>i need more challenging
>i need to migrate to Debian first?
No. You don't need to migrate to Debian first.
Installing Arch first time needs some time, but then it's very "easy" to use. You will learn a lot.
Arch is rolling-release, lightweight and very customizable. In my opinion the better distro for desktop usage.

Attached: archcursors.png (800x588, 64K)

Install Gentoo, unironically.

anything other than ubuntu are for fags just get something that works who cares about muh bloat as long as you don't obsess and get hard over using a borderline malfunctioning junk

stick with ubuntu unless you want to fix artificial problems.

>Ubuntu is a fine distro if you are new and want everything to look userfriendly. It becomes a hurdle when you get more advanced user because of the PPAs, old packages, and various issues. The worst thing is huge noise when you look for help made by all the newbies that don't know what they are doing.
if you're a regular user - or even a poweruser - you will never have this problems. also, if you run into a problem in 9/10 cases you'll find a valid solution within five minutes of looking into it.

What about manjaro

>inb4 brainlet

Both are botnets. Go gentoo or Slackware.

>needed to be downloaded and installed without a package manager
Both of them have instructions on how to add their PPA repository, found with 5 second googling
How is that a challenge?
dbeaver.io/download/
code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/linux

>What about manjaro
I used Manjaro with xfce for a month and it worked flawlessly, however as it installs everything for you, you will barely understand anything about how stuff works.
I installed arch yesterday (not hard at all if you aren't a brainlet and willing to learn) and from the install alone I feel 2x more knowledgeable compared to using Manjaro for a month.
I'll be installing i3 and everything today so I can further optimize my shit posting capabilities.

tl;dr install arch if you actually wanna learn something

Mount root before boot

I had these problems.
I wanted to install node and it was so outdated I couldn't run anything I wrote. I wanted youtube-dl and it was so outdated it just didn't worked at all because youtube changed something on their backend. A lot of software requires custom PPAs too.
Also IIRC node binary is called nodejs which broke all my shebangs.
Of course you can fix all of these by looking 5min at google, but it's just tiring when I have to open browser to install any software. It just feels like using Windows.

It's not a deal breaker, but it's not as comfy as AUR.
Especially when you want to build something from source.

Fair enough

Arch is easier than every other distro

Is not for the challenge to install. I looking a challenge to personalize my own distro.

that's i'm looking. My own customization.

I have decided to training install Arch in VM and after i'll format a new HD.

This.It's why I love it.

all 3 are good choices, depends on what you want

with debian, you get stable packages, and need to spend a little more time on configuration
with ubuntu, you get stable packages, and it works out of the box. you are not forced to learn about system management (although, of course, you can)
with arch, you get very fresh packages, which means you will experience bugs with updates more often. this still will probably not be very much. you will need to learn about system management to install the system

if you are using your machine for real work, you shouldn't use a rolling release distro. If you need up to date packages, better learn to compile or use a VM.

Using a rolling release distro is more work to keep it going.

Rolling release is not a good production environment, that's for sure. But if you know what you are doing rolling release can save so much time on development environment. It can take some maintenance but less than compiling and using VMs anyway.

You should definitely install Void Linux.

search artix linux (=archlinux without systemd).