Game Modding

How many people here mod games for a hobby?
I've moved on from actually playing videogames now but all the maths and logic behind 3D rendering and video game engines fascinates me.
So far I've made a couple of mods for Gmod (One of which I've made a decent amount from selling on gmodstore), but now I'm wanting to move on to actual C++ modding rather than just using LUA to make API calls.
What are some good resources for getting into source engine modding etc.?
Also, please share any stories and examples of cool shit that you've made.

Attached: sourcelogo-590x334.jpg (590x334, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?posts/23598849
files.catbox.moe/if87ag.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

I've made some mods for garry's mod but I never went anywhere with them. Now I'm more into making actual games than mods.

Don't use Source, it's dead.
It was fine years ago when there was no Unity and every engine costed money. Just use Unity, or eventually Unreal or godot or whatever is popular now. They are modern, have more resources, larger userbase. It's actually harder to make a Source games than use these tools.
Eventually you can wait for Source 2, but don't expect it anytime soon.

What a spooky captcha.

Attached: 201a64ef90.png (396x532, 295K)

Paradox games are super-comfy.

Attached: Capture.png (712x468, 16K)

No examples but back in the day my buddy and I had a Jasper jtag Xbox 360 and used to mod MW2. We made so much money hosting lobbies and spent it on weed, cigarettes and food desu. Middle school was fun, now I write programs and go to college.

I used to mod Super Mario World

Not OP, but that's honestly a shame. I always wanted to build something in Source as a side project, namely something L4D-esque set in the HL2 universe. Fairly familiar with Unity but have no idea where to start when it comes to Source.

>Don't use Source, it's dead.
I know, but I'm interested in modding for hobby reasons rather than actually making something that's marketable.
Does Unity even let you dive into the source code of the actual engine? The reason Source appeals to me is AFAIK you basically get access to the entire HL2 source code to fuck about with as you please whereas unity is more like "Here's a platform for you to build games on, don't touch anything underneath".

Also if you like LUA, checkout LOVE 2D.

Well you still can use it. It's just not as good as the others available now and no one really plays source mods anymore.

Yeah, source allows that except for physical engine because it's havok.
On the other hand, Unity is rather minimalistic compared to Source. To make source game you have to mod the engine, while you use Unity to actually make a game. You don't need to dive into Unity's backend.

Attached: out.webm (553x420, 2.97M)

smwcentral.net GANG GANG

Why not make your own game? There aren't games I'm interested modding right now, except smash ultimate which you can't really mod yet.

Modding source is like creating your own game. It used to be what Unity is now in early 2000s. It even had similar shovelware.

Is it still active?

Because I have no real interest in game design, level design, asset creation etc, I just want to mess about with an existing codebase.

I've made mods, both normal and lewd, for Oblivion/New Vegas. I made a weapon replacer for Team Fortress 2. And at one time, I tried modding a Tomb Raider Level Editor wad to make Lara nude, but it broke the alpha channel on all the textures somehow. Plus Lara was so low poly, that she looked really bad without any clothes on anyway.

Not into moding as much as im into finding secrets or glitches in games.
Recently I found the debug menu for a japanese version game that contains an item that is not in other variations of the same title.
As far as I checked neither of these things are mentioned anywhere online so i shared on /vr/ but it didn't generate any interest.
Ive found repeatable out of bounds glitch for a genesis title that is not known to the public and am not sure where to post it.
People are just anemic in online communication,nobody wants to talk about anything.
Even if I start discussion on modding games people just scream "google it".

>finding secrets or glitches in games.
This is fun.
Especially in games like Undertale or DDLC that has some surprises for you if you decompile them.

Attached: abc_1111_0.png (359x747, 3K)

this seems interesting. Link?

>Just use Unity,

unity is the cancer of game development

use godot

post the mod fag

What things are worth getting into if I want to make cs1.6 like maps that people will play? I used to love both making and discovering cs 1.6 maps made by others.

Is map making a marketable skill that'd help me get a job? I can make my own 3D models, too.

I feel there's too much shovelware, Chinese with ready assets making 1$ trash on steam, besides it'd be hard to get audience before having my concept stolen by any of the big studios and incorporated into their games as a mini-game. Also for my own game I'd prefer to make my own engine. And that'd be too time consuming while being badly executed at my skill level.

>tfw you found evidence of a track and vehicle editor and many additional configurable options for your favorite /vr/ but you spoke to the devs and they don't know where any of that shit is anymore and you don't know enough computer to attempt to reverse engineer the game.

sucks being a brainlet

Attached: whip_007.png (640x400, 23K)

wish i knew anything about reverse-engineering old 3D games

i want to port GTA2 to everything

>What things are worth getting into if I want to make cs1.6 like maps that people will play?
Hammer, maybe?

this

i did it as a teenager, i'm 34 now

fucking with half-life was the first thing i used c++ for

forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?posts/23598849
If you haven't registered a copy of CK2 on the Paradox forums: files.catbox.moe/if87ag.zip

>Hammer, maybe?
Do you mean the editor or a new game with that title? Because I did make 1.6 maps in hammer, but it's dead, so I'm asking what's next.

>Is map making a marketable skill that'd help me get a job? I can make my own 3D models, too.
pretty niche (all game stuff is) but worth doing still since you could probably transfer a lot of your knowledge and skill to similar fields like CAD - even if you don't find any vidya work you might find your way into some industrial drafting type shit?

>industrial drafting type shit
What job titles should I look for?

I'm interested in that sort of jobs. I know CADs and 3D printing and more model/graphics oriented 3D stuff like blender, but I got no formal education in either of the fields.

>gmodstore
What the fuck, is that actually a thing now? Gmod went to shit with v13 imo, introduced the shit new UI, broke fretta compatibility which caused loads of fun gamemodes to die out, heralded the wave of underage youtuber cancer that ultimately still plagues the game. Some of my fondest memories of the game are the Parasite gamemode and playing RP on the Ovicity map

>Unity
Kill yourself.

>Don't use Source, it's dead.
/thread

I work on several paradox games mods

I used to make mods for GTAs and also some scripting for first two Mafia games. I have one of the oldest accounts on gta-forums which is the only memory left from the good old times when this actually brought joy to me. I gained a lot of experience through the years related to game dev and I will probably just fork Godot for my purposes when they will release 3.1. Hopefully there will be something to contribute back, if not I will pay them some money.

It's really shame they stick to GDScript or whatever the hell they call it, it's unbearable to do something in it because it's similar like haskell, language obsessed about indentation. There is definitely a lot of work that could be done but I need engine to do one thing well, this "it must fit everybody" philosophy of Godot, Unreal or Unity is understandable but ultimately shitty.

Had my own GTA San Andreas Multiplayer server with a cops and robbers script made from scratch (SA-MP used an older version of Pawn scripting language), lost interest after cheaters/"people of peace" invaded the platform.

GTA V singleplayer modding is also fun, you can use C# or C++ to make shit. There are also alternative multiplayer mods such as FiveM that let you use C# and Lua to make scripts and play with other people.

I love modding GTA.

Do console and handheld code hacking count? If so then I've been dabbling into that learning how to make codes on consoles and handhelds. I know its nothing special compared to real modding but I still find it to be an interesting scene and you still learn a lot about how the game works.

Attached: 1542022311257.gif (646x343, 24K)

Defend yourselves

I mod mount and blade warband

Does cheating count?

I make external cheats for CS:GO just to get higher up in the ranked ladder and feel good about myself.

10/10 bait