What was the biggest accomplishment in your career?

What was the biggest accomplishment in your career?

Attached: 1546784291887.jpg (1700x1201, 682K)

not having a career

Reporting this thread for Off-topic.

I have never been to an interview that didn't land me a job offer.

Quitting, and moving to Costa rica, and living off grid

My biggest success was recognizing that one of the software applications my big company used was going to become more and more important as time went on.

So little by little, I gained more expertise in this in my own free time on weekends and on evenings. And guess what? It worked. I was able to demonstrate that I had the knowledge and I argued hard that this application needed a full-time Sys Admin.

From there I climbed up the value chain to consultant and from consultant to system architect where I am now.

What was the software? It doesn't matter. You could do the same with whatever you find around you.

Same

The company I work for relies entirely on an erp that hasn't been updated in nearly a decade. The newest version is being tested against our databases and its become painfully apparent how much data scrubbing needs to happen. Everyone is expecting IT to get the data prepped. Unfortunately most employees have gotten used to the customs that were written to add functionality to the aging erp. We have somewhere around 50 customs which are all done in either vb or access and they are breaking constantly. I really dont know whether to focus on writing new customs for the chance they decide not to go for the add-ins available in the newest erp version or to just focus on learning the new erp.

putting up with all the bullshit all these years where i have finally burnt out and just going through the motions, i used to care. but now i only tolerate things. and thats a good thing.

Same here, but I've only held two different (real) jobs.

Getting worldwide coverage under a now defunct alias on dropping some specific data followed by a mental breakdown that I did to myself because attention fucks with me

Attached: sigh.jpg (676x676, 37K)

Getting out of it and finding something more meaningful to follow. I don't have a career now, I have a (secure) job that I do for enjoyment and earning a bit of money to survive.
Technology has always been a hobby for me, trying to make a career out of it was a big mistake. I disencourage anyone that is trying to have a career, unless they are certain that they need it. You can have things more interesting than your job to be identified with, you can even earn money with some of them -- just don't make it your career.

Obviously, you would love to be on the winning side. What does your gut say? With the new system finally be put in place or will management walk away with it and leave them to the old ERP?

My guess is that if the sunk costs are too high, the management will feel compelled to use the new system regardless of all the missing functionality that the old customizations gave your existing ERP system. In that case, my recommendation would be to get on that Data cleansing team. Learn all the major players, make sure they understand who you are, and make sure that you help clean up that data, no matter how tedious and boring it may be. Trust me, people will remember you and you will have a place in the new order.

What is a career? Like a race?

I'm only a year into my career but I made $13k in bug bounties last year during the crypto boom.

Yes, a race to sell yourself to the biggest bidder by grinding your ass. It's build by inserting larger and larger objects in your rectum.

I am legitimately confused: What do you people who don't want to work for a living plan to do with your time? Don't you want to make a difference in the world?

They want to live off their parents income

I think you don’t understand the point. If you want to make a meaningful contribution to society it probably isn’t in writing application software. I wouldn’t mind working a few hours a day. 8 is insane though and they try to get you to work more in software to the point where you’d be better off being a waiter or something.

The current corporate mindset is cancer. Traditional jobs are much more rewarding than anything you'll find in a high wage workplace right now. Maybe I didn't have the correct mindset but from what I can take from other workers I met, it's a general problem.

>announcing sage
>announcing report

Attached: 1546271099552.png (321x321, 12K)

Some people are Jow Forums are so stupid they need a little bit of guidance.

Social engineered a bunch of ppl, nothing illegal, a cheating gf, a cheating stepfather and so

Carnivale posting? Now that was a way to derail a thread. Yep...

Getting paid to do something I enjoy and am good at.

oh man, I loved CARNEVAL threads on /co/. It was when /co/ was good.

Getting my shit designed by a multimillion dollar corporation that’s the industry leader

Getting hired before my internship ended and promoted in less than a year. Felt good to go from making min wage to making what I would make in two weeks part time in less than a day. Should make senior in a year.

>identify yourself on an anonymous imageboard
No.

Winning against Anatoly Karpov

story time

getting out of the navy without going to mast.

>If you want to make a meaningful contribution to society it probably isn’t in writing application software
Strongly disagree.
Today you stand the chance to influence the entire globe with a single application.
Look at how important something like Wikipedia is, and what is it in essence? A database of text.
Look at how strong simple concepts can grow as well, bittorrent is my favorite example.
To take the problem of "more=slower" and invert it. 2 peers on desktops could handle more connections than a centralized http server.
etc. etc.
From simple concepts to simple software, it can make a world of difference.
Linux is a hobbyist kernel written by some dude driving devices that now save lives on a daily basis.

What defines a meaningful contribution?
I think my own work is meaningful, however I myself use software that I feel as though I depend on. Even the little things like my media player matter. Without my music I wouldn't be able to do my own work. By proxy, the creator of it should get some credit for driving me forward daily.
Software at every level can be valuable imo.

Enjoy your ban

Cheers.