XMPP communication protocol

>What is XMPP?
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is a communication protocol for message-oriented middleware.
Unlike most instant messaging protocols, XMPP is defined in an open standard and uses an open systems approach of development and application, by which anyone may implement an XMPP service and interoperate with other organizations' implementations. Because XMPP is an open protocol, implementations can be developed using any software license and many server, client, and library implementations are distributed as free and open-source software.

>What client should I use?
Get Pix-Art if you are on Android, Gajim or Dino on desktop PC.

>How do I join this Jow Forums groupchat?
Here is the link: xmpp:[email protected]?join

>Muh Dickscord
Fuck off back to Plebbit

>I'm a fucking brainlet and need a step-by-step guide to installing and setting up a fucking app
xmpp.lordkek.us/brainlet-tutorial/

>I want some tips and tricks!
yourdata.forsale/xmpp.html

>But who actually uses XMPP?
We do. [email protected]@[email protected].
Also please shill this to your friends so they use it too.

Attached: 1544760777254.jpg (500x866, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_user_interface
yourdata.forsale:5280/register/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 1546788300297 copy.jpg (500x866, 82K)

Why pixart and not conversations?

Cuckversations shills their paid service and pix-art has a nicer theme and more settings

Attached: 20190106_153859888_9341.jpg (1000x700, 55K)

Pix art is a ripoff

Attached: 1546789478763.jpg (500x866, 185K)

Still fucking waiting on a TUI client that supports OMEMO, because finch is an ugly piece of shit with stupid bindings and retarded chat windows

Bump

Attached: discord-vs-xmpp.png (680x277, 80K)

>TUI client
wat

Why the hell are there no good desktop clients for this shit? I'm using the Dino crap which is in beta and doesn't support drag-drop for file sharing.

Conversations tries to secretly lock you into their paid service without informing you that there are a billion free providers. It's like being forced to use a paid email service without being told that tutanota, protonmail or even fucking gmail exists.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_user_interface

>Text-based
yuck

>Conversations tries to secretly lock you into their paid service without informing you that there are a billion free providers
They aren't forcing you do do anything.

quit shilling this retarded, disgusting protocol. It's everything that sucks about XML, shoved down your throat as a shittier alternative to IRC.

you use discord, not irc

>hurr it's not bad unless you're forced
Literally kys. Nobody new to xmpp as an instant messenger would know that it's basically like email and that there are free providers. Conversations, unlike pixart, defaults to a paid service. You can't expect every new user to read a fucking manual and know that they don't have to pay after 6 months of using xmpp.

They can skip it.

And some Linux distros show you "Donate" screen before downloading distro. If normies are so retarded - it's their problem.

Same man.

Your opinion has been noted.

>yourdata.forsale:5280/register/
>404
Uhhh...

what a shitty xmpp server

>XMPP as an alternative to Discord

Isn't Matrix (and by extension Riot) closer to Discord?

Attached: 1200px-Matrix_logo.svg.png (1200x516, 25K)

yes

It's fucking down wtf. Fix your working server before shilling it you morons.

>join the Jow Forums server
>not even 30 people in it

Yikes, this is sad, cringe, and lonely.

What goes on in the chat? Why should I join?

>elementary OS
Shit distro.

>click this extremely tiny button
B-but it's fine since it's open source!
Fuck off.

You should be shilling Riot.im, but you fucked up OP, as usual.

Gajim? Not tui, but maybe you'll like it more

>>elementary OS
>Shit distro.
Not gonna argue with that. But hey, sheeple gotta start somewhere when switching and Arch def not gonna be their first choice. And more users can't be bad for the OS, no matter the distro.

How bout rocketchat?
Obligatory shill link to test out rocket dot beznell dot ooo

We already have Riot.im

>What goes on in the chat? Why should I join?
Jow Forums bros talking, laughing, enjoying themselves.

>We already have Riot.im
Electron app

Riot sucks though

>who actually uses XMPP?
Nobody. Face it, it's a epic failure. Yes I was and kind of is a fan of XMPP and I'd like to use pidgin with the OTR plugin for security all the time. I would also like to encrypt all my e-mails with GPG but I don't because GPG is also an epic failure.

XMPP and GPG can't into the network effect. Decades after publishing my GPG key next to my e-mail I still get 0.2% of my e-mails encrypted with it. Nobody ever contacts me using XMPP, when people ask me to use something it's Snapchat or Telegram or eew Skype.

matrix/riot will also probably end up being a failure. it's all "join my discord server" even though it's _their_ server, you don't have one, having a chatroom on someone else's machine which logs everything isn't the same has having your own server.

I hate to sound negative since I'm all for these technologies. But the simple truth is that a communications system only you're using isn't useful. People don't say "I don't want to use snapchat because all my friends are on XMPP".

incel forum

Then make a non-electron Matrix client

>their server
You can make a Matrix server if you want. Server code is open source. You can use Matrix to bridge with whatever proprietary chat service you want so you never have to use the actual telegram/Facebook/whatever apps and can still contact normies.