You may not like it, but this is what peak programming performance looks like

You may not like it, but this is what peak programming performance looks like

Attached: john-carmack-featured-1024x683.jpg (1024x683, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_FX
youtube.com/watch?v=xD8-WytDpQM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck off, /v/. He is a good programmer, but no genius.

>developed smooth scrolling on MS-DOS when it was considered a pipe dream by everyone else
>made the Doom engine back when any kind of real time 3D on the PC was considered impossible
>coded the Quake engine which was the first true real time 3D game
>at the forefront of tech with VR
>not a genius
Show us some of your achievements, you dingus

Don't be upset.

It's ok that he stole most of his work

as somebody who isn't really in the know can someone clear up what all this plagiarism stuff w/ carmack is about? like i know the fast inverse square root wasn't his but what else happened

After he was caught doing it, he Googled how to erase a hdd. This happened where he was at before FB

Its called sharing not stealing. And I wouldn’t say most. All of the old engines they wrote from scratch.

whaa? surely that isn't over the fast inverse square root thing, he took it from a book iirc but i mean at that point is it not public knowledge

What I'm really jealous of is that he ate pizzas everyday and never got fat. Pretty sure I'd get fat from eating pizza everyday.

His brains burnt all the calories instantly

He also did judo for a long time, there you go

Look at this nodev and laugh

Attached: 1238406-carmackatwork.jpg (520x254, 38K)

The virgin 16:9 lcd vs the chad 16:9 crt

Quake wasn't the first 3d game. It wasn't even close to being the first 3d game.

Attached: Virtua-Fighter-2.jpg (750x400, 89K)

It definitely revolutionized 3D graphics

>made the Doom engine back when any kind of real time 3D on the PC was considered impossible
I guess the SNES was doing what was considered impossible on PC back in 1993...

Attached: STARFOX.png (224x190, 3K)

>on the PC
Can you read. Also mode 7 is very far from 3D

No, it's more recent stuff

>Bethesda buys id
>Carmack works at Bethesda while they're researching VR
>Learns a lot about it
>Quits id and joins Oculus
>Uses that knowledge research funded by Bethesda to boost Oculus development
>Facebook buy Oculus
>Zenimax, owners of Bethesda, sue Facebook because of Carmacks illegal use of trade secrets gained under Bethesda
>Court case reveals Carmack googled how to erase a hard drive when the lawsuit was first brought on Facebook
>Facebook loses legal battle and is fined $500,000,000

Can you read?
> the SNES was doing what was considered impossible on PC

>Can you read. Also mode 7 is very far from 3D
Hurr Durr, that's not Mode 7
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_FX

>real time 3D on the PC was considered impossible
>what are Chocks Away and Zarch
1987 and 1990, respectively. Years before the Doom engine.
I leave out Elite because whether or not it's a true 3D game is subjective, but it predates the Doom engine by almost a decade.
Doom was a big step forward, yes, but it certainly was not the first of its kind. The writing was on the wall with the Acorn Archimedes- real-time 3D games were not only possible, but very viable even on small, consumer systems.

>Hurr Durr, that's not Mode 7
True, I fucked that up

You still can't read though because it was clearly stated that

Note the "on the PC" part. It's acknowledging that 3D on dedicated hardware WAS possible. And of course Doom isn't true 3D either, but the amount of high level math going on there is absolutely bonkers and worthy of respect

>what are Chocks Away and Zarch
Not even remotely as good looking as Doom. But you have a point. Fact is that Carmack revolutionized computer graphics and if you agree with that or not is way beside the point

I used to play the Red Baron back in the day. Full 3d graphics back before Doom

youtube.com/watch?v=xD8-WytDpQM

it's kinda embarrassing that you keep posting the same thread and post trying to upset people.

I don't need to know how to cook to tell if food tastes bad

widescreen crt = )

name one programming genius

>googled how to erase a hdd
>Carmack googled how to erase a hdd
lmfao, my fucking sides

I WROTE A FUCKING COMPILER

Attached: 1522291507218.gif (429x592, 2.8M)

That's what every CS student does?!?!

I like it.

He's been really fucking wrong before and it usually takes him several years before he'll talk about being wrong at a keynote.
Muh megatextures.

Descent predates quake and is actually polygons. Descent is not an esoteric piece of trivia, it's a pretty popular game.

>>Court case reveals Carmack googled how to erase a hard drive when the lawsuit was first brought on Facebook

3D was a mistake... just like VR... I guess Karma finally caught on

Attached: file.gif (400x222, 519K)

How dare you say that about God's chosen programmer!?

Attached: yt_comment.jpg (1294x478, 69K)

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda
he didn't know that?

rms

Doom isn't 3D at all technically. Genius nonetheless.

>code raycasting engine from scratch in the 90s in a fucking warehouse, purely in Turbo-C or some shit
>can't format an HD
No way this is real.

John Carmack is almost certainly a benign sociopath. He is just far more interested in computer graphics than in social prestige or probably even fucking.

"As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of children steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. Carmack was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home."

FUGGGGGGGGGGG

Attached: joerogain.jpg (640x583, 54K)