Be CompE student

>be CompE student
>love writing code
>read textbooks at will, contribute to open source, enjoy the practice of programming as whole
>graduate, get job
>software people are actually treated as second class citizens and a huge cost hole at most corporations
>good practices are out the window, it's all about shipping shit even if it's half-baked, we'll just spend the next 5 years maintaining it and fixing bugs retroactively
>it's all about sucking your boss' cock and closing JIRA_ISSUE++

I hate programming now, but at least I make a lot of money.

Attached: mommy.jpg (1280x1257, 297K)

>software people are actually treated as second class citizens

you must be working at a non-tech company like a bank/insurance/healthcare/defense etc

Attached: mt.jpg (940x500, 108K)

Put down the beer and whiskey ma'am, it's the milk i'm here for.

i'm actually working at an R&D kinda place, there's nothing but engineers of all disciplines here. r&d is itself always viewed as a big sink hole despite being the department that keeps the rest of the company afloat whenever we actually churn out something new

>jewcow.jpg

Attached: m-mommy.jpg (640x640, 46K)

Aye, lassie. I'll work up a mighty thirst with you.

>make a lot of money
>Second class citizen

Nigguh wut?

>it's all about sucking your boss'
remember when programing was more important than that?

pic related
It's the same office space crap but with even more stress. Salary don't fix that either.

Attached: 1546067290307.jpg (460x667, 50K)

Maybe but at least you have some room for advancement?

Working in software at a bank you are treated like an unfortunate, unproductive but necessary cost. It is also next to impossible to move from the tech side into management, even at banks like JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley who like to style themselves as "fintech" companies.

Why in the fuck would you want to be a manager anyway?

>money is the only thing that matters ever

Yes, basically. If you work at a dysfunctional work. Everything else is purely on you.

this.

I worked at one of the banks and everyone on the business side will look down on you, even the useless shits in marketing/hr/etc.

I went to a startup and while I only got a small % in pay bump, the environment there is a million times better.

No.

Nice blog post.

>heh, nice blog post kiddox d

back to ribbit with you

Why, is this your safe space?

O_O
momy

Be glad it pays well.

That software is now seen as a cost hole isn't surprising; that's something that's happening in many industries. Take medicine: that used to be about healing. Now in these days of Mangled Care, it's all about how quickly you can push people in and out, regardless of whether they can be actually cured or treated.

good programmers are treated like royalty by FAANG, because good ones* are pretty rare and they're mercenary as fuck - they leave your company at just slight increments in perceived benefits at one of the other companies in the bunch. They bounce around all the time. I don't think it's a viable long term strategy for them but hey, get while the getting is good right?

* by good I mean writes decent code, has the capacity to see the larger perspective rather than their own narrow lane/interests, and can communicate in something more than grunts.

is it easy to be a bighead at FAANG? Just get lost in all the noise, do a whole lot of nothing and take home your 6k paycheck every other week?

get a load of these milkers

Yes. I push around 100 lines of code a week, including tests, and no one has ever gotten on my case for not working hard enough or not doing enough.

jews don't want the goys to advance, shocking

They wouldn't pay you money if it was fun.

Thats retarded. Plenty of fun jobs pay. Prostitution, for instance.

Milk truck just arrive

>be fixing specific electronics for a living
>do it for 12 years
>probably one of best people on planet doing the specific things i do
>they spent over $30k training me and moving me to new locations
>paid living expenses for 6 months
>still pays quite a bit
>employer would be completely fukt w/out me
>boss not even slightly technical
>never listen to any of my advice
>makes me do her job constantly
>shits all over me constantly
im going to quit i cant take it any more

the whole reason i need to make money is to pay prostitutes

>>makes me do her job constantly
>her job
>her
Found the problem

>her
There's your problem.

Being a manager is pretty good. You get paid more and do less actual work.

My manager must make a shitton of money. Drives a brand new Audi R8 and constantly buys his team expensive gifts. Literally just sits in meetings all day and asks us how we are now and again.

Haven't seen Emily having a drink for a while...

Attached: 12918611_597721047051426_440799918_n.jpg (1080x1349, 126K)

>her
lol

The shit part of being a manager is that your work is never really seen. If you set up everything and it all goes as planned, everyone says that you "don't do shit and just order people around". If shit goes tits up, it's your ass on the line. You're not paid for work, you're paid for responsibility. I couldn't handle the stress and quit a 2 years after promotion and went back to programming.

I was going to say exactly this, thank you

If it pays more, anons, there is a damn good reason for it

well, do i have any options? all i can think of is "obtain the equipment i require and stop relegating your job to me or i quit". theres people above her and to the side of her i can get involved. the job could be ok, but its unbearable now. if i quit thats like $30k they wasted and no i never signed anything to prevent me quitting

well, ive had amazing managers, and ive had utterly incompetent managers. the responsibility gets thrown on those under incompetent managers all the time. shit rolls downhill

When she's away, change her wallpaper to some ebin Anonymous haxxor image and turn her desktop by 90°.

Is it a big corp with plenty of room to climb the ladder?
If so, you gotta play politics and show her bosses / peers how she is incompetent and bringing the company down.
Women are witches in corporate world. They'll feed you to the lions to get an extra title without any pay raise.

You're not in R&D user, you're in a codemonkey factory thats stroked your ego.
This is normal. This is what most programming jobs are now. Settle into the routine of shipping buggy untested garbage code now, or sink back into academia. If you're lucky you have a QA team, otherwise it doesnt matter because clean fast readable code costs more to develop than buggy sloppy slow code takes to fix.

Nah, it's actually R&D, lots of PhDs floating around, lots of physicists and mathematicians. Don't project.

Document everything she does, do a time analysis on her work day, surreptitiously observe and if she does fuck up - document it (pics, docs etc.). Don't worry about it too much - you can be assured she'll fuck up sooner or later.

Take that to her lateral coworker (manager in same dept. for eg.), discuss (be wary if they're best m8s).
Then go to her superior with evidence. Tell them you're doing this because you've tried to raise it with her and she's not prepared to acknowledge (the lie won't matter once her shit hits the fan).

Sit back and watch things take their course - she'll probably fight and get a noice severance and your boss will hate you for being a snitch but she'll be gone and you've still got a job...

Alt: start looking fo a new, better paid job. Ask to meet your manager if he's not in the interview. Suck up to her and get a fucking kickarse reference before you go (don't shit where you eat tho - fuck her after you've left if that's your thing...)

Attached: 10514043_802819359793449_814886627_n.jpg (640x640, 87K)

It sounds like you need to change your job user. If you're talented there is no reason you need to stay at one you hate. Once I got my computer engineering degree I worked for four different places for only a year or two before finding a job I really loved. If you quit your job too many times employers start getting scared to hire you but a few times doesn't hurt.

Also you're a computer engineer not a codemonkey. Find a job that also requires your electronics, mathematics, and computer architecture education and you'll be treated with more respect.

>Is it a big corp
huge multinational, so yes

thanks anons

>huge multinational
talk to superiors of yourself and hers, tell them what is going on and explain in it in detail. If you have coworkers who are affected the same, inform your superiors about them. Your best bet is getting into meetings with superiors and explaining your situation. Going by your company being fucked without you, you'll be safe if it's reasonable to assume it's in their best interests that they don't get rid of you the moment you bring up anything bad that's happening.

What a busted face.

>be me
>ict in aged care facillities - mostly just checking citrix thin clients in and out of offices and warning oldies not to get phished
>a nurse who always flirts with me but I always brushoof (married) writes me up for "leaving muh tools in open area to cause an accident" - I forgot an insulated phillips head...
>I figure - good for the goose...
>start to pay her some attention, be polite etc. listen to her and take part in gossip (about 70% of her time), do said time analysis.
>hear her telling her colleague that her rn qualification isn't "quite kosher" - apparently there was stuff in the UK she didn't pass but was studying here
>her m8 (who is qualified but junior and paid less than her) and goto her supervisor with "goncerns"
>seeya biatch!

Fuck up cunt.

Attached: 12132697_1066156773401957_938987726_n.jpg (1080x1230, 116K)

I work in integration so I don't deal much with writing code, but I do understand it. Recently my company made an interface that's sort of a kludged together visual UI combined with python so people like me can "write" code. I definitely have a new respect for anyone that writes code that can be maintained over time and has clear intentions. I pity anyone who is going to have to try to correct anything I have made or change it later, it will break and I leave 0 breadcrumb trail of what I actually am trying to do, I just bang my head against it until it works.

The problem is the attitude at the large silicon valley outfits will always favor the big new project. Something can be completely broken and useless, the people that made it can just change companies to avoid responsibility, and the new hotshot is never going to say "I am going to fix this old POS!" Everyone wants 100% credit for their work, so they just start something new.

They started me on a Python job that required a lot of calculus and linear algebra and I'm moving to some sort of embedded soon, supposedly, so I like the work. I just don't really like the idea of working for someone else's end-game, even if it pays the bills.

Who is this girl?

Emily Helen Barry

Hi newguy!

Attached: 13320260_1217361541631389_876295921_n.jpg (1080x1349, 134K)

>it's your ass on the line
Doubtful. They can easily scapegoat a low level wagie, document up some "lessons learned" bullshit, and get off scot free.

Attached: 1546484835587.png (1264x1300, 1.15M)

Attached: 75543.jpg (650x1294, 404K)

This guy gets it. Managers don't do jack shit but jerk themselves and each-other off in meetings all day. Engineers drive profits, managers siphon profits.

>search for car issue online
>fix car myself

Do you guys actually work in the industry? In Silicon Valley? I don't envy managers, even ones that seemingly don't work very hard. Dealing with HR issues is a nightmare, primadonnas are impossible to deal with but you have to figure out how to keep them productive, and it's hard to pivot into other companies or roles as a manager compared to being an engineer or someone who is otherwise actually making something. I've seen managers so high up they seem untouchable disappear in an instant.

Every second of your working day costs the company money. To that end its just more economical to make you write code quicker even if it's slightly worse in the long run

what actually prevents this from happening other than incompetent programmers?

Sounds like you're just in the wrong place. R&D and business should work in harmony.
Start looking for another position and post more Irish titcows please

MOMMY

It may be illegal now.

>not watching scotty's channel

Attached: a1951773fd7dabb61ecb08e02a1dde3f.jpg (900x900, 130K)

I can't decide if I want to impregnate her or just let her be raped to death by a pack of niggers...
>look at me! I have big boobs, aren't I amazing???

How do you get job like this? Fixing electronics that is...