Project Normality: When did "normie" overtake "normalfag" on Jow Forums?

TL;DR

The word "normie" overtook "normalfag" in popularity in March 2015. It was at its most popular in August 2015. 133/33305ā‰ˆ0.4% of the sampled posts for that month contain the substring "normie". "Normalfag" peaked earlier with 39/29987ā‰ˆ0.1% of the sampled posts in May 2014. From March 2015 to September 2018 (the last full month sampled) "normie" remained more popular than "normalfag". The first sampled post calling those who used the word "normie" normalfags was from July 2015.

Methodology

I needed a large sample of threads over a long period of time. While archives let you search for OP posts, they limit how far back in time this search goes. I had to work around this.

First, I generated 20000 random uniformly distributed post numbers from 11 million to 68 million. I used RebeccaBlackTech's "Go to post number" function to try to find the Jow Forums thread each post belonged to. For 19817 of the posts it found the thread number. Some posts happened to be in the same thread. Out of the 19817 threads 19815 were archived and 19316 were distinct. I scraped their HTML pages from rbt.asia. To not spam rbt.asia with requests I applied rate limiting. I performed no more than one request every few seconds.

I extracted the data I wanted from every post in every thread and put it into an SQLite database with the following schema. The total post count was 2625811.

CREATE TABLE posts (
id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
thread_id INTEGER,
timestamp INTEGER,
text TEXT
);

With a few reasonably simple SQL queries, which you will see shortly, I obtained the numbers in the TL;DR. I made the plot with gnuplot.

Attached: normalfag vs normie.png (1064x731, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Ry35eQAv
files.catbox.moe/pgmg6p.7z
pastebin.com/4SvDngUg
github.com/dinedal/textql
pastebin.com/KsjFpKVT.
pastebin.com/D3qiqvPM
pastebin.com/0YYNv3gt
pastebin.com/Mch2cgtW
pastebin.com/t0w6KZ21
archive.org/download/rbt-asia
pastebin.com/0gsWAg6r
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Data/code

I can't share the scraper with you. I'll post the analytics queries/scripts in separate posts. I have posted the results (data.txt) to a pastebin. The first and the last month (August 2010 and October 2018) are removed because the post number range didn't cover the whole month.
pastebin.com/Ry35eQAv

I have uploaded the raw data as a text SQL file in a 7-Zip archive. It is 111 MB compressed and 533 uncompressed.
files.catbox.moe/pgmg6p.7z
pastebin.com/4SvDngUg (checksum)

I hope you found this analysis interesting. Please correct my mistakes and make suggestions. Maybe you will use the data to obtain your interesting results.

#!/bin/bash
for text in normie normalfag
do
for year in {2010..2018}
do
for month in {1..12}
do
month=$(printf '%02i' $month)
# This can be optimized.
sqlite3 \
"$1" \
"with month_posts as (
select
timestamp,
text
from
strftime(
'%Y%m',
timestamp,
'unixepoch'
) == '$year$month'
)
select
'$text',
'$year',
'$month',
(
select
count(text)
from
month_posts
)
as total,
(
select
count(text)
from
month_posts
where
text like '%$text%'
)
as count
where
total > 0"
done
done
done

#!/bin/bash
# github.com/dinedal/textql
textql \
-header \
-sql "select
normalfag.year,
normalfag.month,
normalfag.total,
normalfag.count as normalfag_count,
normie.count as normie_count
from
(
select
year,
month,
total,
count
from
data
where
text = 'normalfag'
)
as normalfag
join
(
select
year,
month,
total,
count
from
data
where
text = 'normie'
)
as normie
on
normalfag.year = normie.year
and
normalfag.month = normie.month
and
normie.count > normalfag.count" \
"$1"

#!/usr/bin/gnuplot --persist
set title '"Normalfag" vs "normie"'
set ylabel 'Count'
set xlabel 'Date'
set grid

set datafile separator ","
set xdata time
set timefmt '%Y,%m'
set format x "%Y-%m"

plot \
"< grep normalfag data.txt" using 2:5 title "normalfag" with lines, \
"< grep normie data.txt" using 2:5 title "normie" with lines

All right, this is it. Cloudflare really hated me posting this code.

Cool project. This is just Jow Forums though, Iā€™m curious what Twitter and Facebook numbers would be like.

normies is easier to pronounce

Thanks, user. I doubt "normalfag" was ever a notable word on Twitter or Facebook. It is too offensive. While I can't confirm it with data, I think the biggest reason the word "normie" spread was that you could use it on social media without fear of getting banned or upsetting your parents too badly when you're underage.

I couldn't find a free word frequency research tool for Twitter or Facebook. Pic related is a Google Trends graph for the United States. The worldwide stats may be skewed by "normie" being a word in other languages (though Wiktionary isn't aware of any other meanings). Here the rise starts at approximately the same time, however, the peak is much later, in January 2018.

Attached: google trends usa.png (1138x470, 26K)

For me, its normalnigger

What's the relation of "normalfag" to any other mention of "-fag"? It seems like Jow Forums as a whole has moved away from that endearment

When did "incel" overtake "wizard" and "virgin"?

People stopped unironically saying normalf*g after 2008 or so

Everyone knows that the fappening (third quarter of 2014) and subsequently Jow Forums becoming popular on Tumblr and Reddit out is what caused "normies" to overtake "normalfags".
The "Tendies Stories" (aka good boy points) entry on KnowYourMeme was created on January 27 2015.
"Rare Pepe" was added to KYM on September 10 2015.

Reminder that -fag suffix implies browsing chans. And also glorifying normalcy.
If you call all normies "normalfags", you're a normie and should lurk forever until you learn.

Attached: 1546632042811.gif (480x350, 456K)

You collected a whole lot of data to point out that the huge traffic change in 2015-2016 was retards from m'l'eddit flooding in and adopting more "friendly" vernacular they could use on other sites like instagram.

gb2gaia faggot

Fuck chanfags

>memes change like they always did and will always do
>REEEE IT'S BECAUSE LE FAG IS LE OFFENSIVE, FUCKING SJWS

It literally is you stupid fucktard. Everybody since the dawn of time has been a *fag until you shitheads flooded in and needed a way to create your own secret clubs on the more heavily moderated sites. The ones where your account is flagged and banned for using such vulgarity. You will be and always have been a normalfag. No amount of strawman splashback crap you want to think up changes that.

This year. There seems to be a fairly sizable gap between the usages of them, however.

When the fish bit the "incel" bait too much, or at least appeared to do so.
Now that I think about it, part of that may be why no is saying "normalfag" nowadays - "normie" triggered the virgins just like "incel" did, so it got posted more.

Fuck, I meant last year. Goddamn it my brain is still stuck in 2018

this is an excellent project and i'd like to dig deeper into when i have more time. but for now. fag is contextual. its truly a wonder word. like all colloquial slang, it depends entirely on the user, the environment/setting and the context of usage. this is what makes it great. because it allows for only a certain subset of 'inside' members to understand it's meaning. only by following the sub culture can you begin to grasp the near infinite subtleties of the word. if i call you a fag it means something entirely different than if one of my homosexual buddies calls the queen downing red headed sluts at the bar a bitchy size queen faggot.
it is a method of excluding as well including certain sub sets of individuals into conversation. just a meme is a carrier of information. fag is word variable that when inserted in conversation can mean a lot of different things.

just as we used to post kitchen sinks and guro to scare off the normalfaggots back in '06 we use the word FAGGOT because it is taboo in mainstream culture. chan culture is meant to be sub culture. the mainstream has tried to invade, proliferate, and monetize our culture for some time. frankly at the moment they are successful, however time will tell whether they truly won or not. remember the best way to win a battle is never to fight it in the first place.

good stuff. remember 'THIS' posters are normalfaggots, most frog/wojack posters are normalfaggots, most anime haters are normalfaggots, most reddit users are normalfaggots, a normalfaggot is a normalfaggot. if you use normie because you are scared of a word then you are of course a normalfaggot. Good work, and I'll look over it more when I have time. thx m8.

fuckin normalfags

All that tl;dr and you failed to notice the most vital thing - that "fag" is literally just a synonym for "channer" since "channer" sounds weird when used here.

Attached: 1515947171163707215.jpg (462x515, 69K)

meh chanfag is honestly something the kids used man. i never called anybody a good either. sounded to much 'muh sekrit club' YAY REDDIT WE DID IT

the point being that you can affix fag to anything to modify it. chanfag is alright but no i disagree that was an origin point. no body went around say 'SUP CHANFAGS WHAT YALL DOING 2NITE!?!' and if they did they were spidermanned.

i mean if you're a chanfag you're chanfag. i never saw the reason to go around saying it.

Attached: DANG.gif (260x146, 1.85M)

good=goon

Attached: kilme.gif (250x188, 1.85M)

You can literally pinpoint the moment Jow Forumsdditors started to flood this board.

Dead wrong. "buyfag" was always a thing, as was normalfag or "wisconsinfag" or anything else really. It changed because of what he said: people who don't belong came and brought their "I can't say this or I'll get banned" list in here.

B-but what are chans, Anonymous? xD

"Normalnigger" and "normalfaggot" are fairly unpopular with 1 and 28 total mentions in the sample respectively.

See pic and pastebin.com/KsjFpKVT. The "virgin" spike in September 2011 was caused by . I didn't look at other spikes.

A simple frequency comparison is probably less meaningful in this case because the words are used less interchangeably than "normie" and "normalfag". Better results would require natural language processing to see how the word is used. On Jow Forums the word "wizard" can mean especially many things, including praise for a high level of technical skill, either sincere or ironic.

%s/obtain your interesting results/obtain your own interesting results/
I invite you to do it. You will need to import the SQL file to an SQLite database. Once you have done that, you can run my scripts on it.
sqlite3 normality.db < normality.sql

Attached: virgin.png (1165x752, 126K)

Check word of bags.
SmartPhone(Android,iPhone,iOS) thing over PC things(Intel,AMD,Nvidia,GPU,thinkpad,macbook).

Or social media twitter,instagram,reddit over Slashdot,mailist.

Game Gate from /v/ plus fappening

Yes Jow Forums first popularized the term and r/Jow Forums brought it to the mainstream. Note the similar spike of this old chart and OPs. Jow Forums is still a reddit colony now with r/greentext which is even more popular.

Attached: 1535838307771.png (942x1250, 405K)

>Yes Jow Forums first popularized the term
I'm pretty sure /sp/ was one of the first board to use it after they started adding -ie or -y to random terms (like janitor -> janny/ies).

Yes, robots move to wizardchan,2ch or forums.

I had thought /jp/ coined it. There are many hits before 2013 for janny on /jp/ but not on /sp/. Archive for /sp/ may be incomplete though.

Well /jp/ has the oldest archive and had a lot of NEET threads which may explain why it became (or looks like it became) popular there very early on. I don't think it's possible to know for sure where it came from.

normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie

Thank you. "Faggot"/"fag" as a kind of universal word is not that specific to Jow Forums. It came to English-language imageboards from Something Awful. "Faggotry" in particular was a very SA term. In 2005 /b/ already said "tripcode fag(got)", but -fag as a suffix appeared later, probably closer to 2007.

Attached: tripcode fags unite.png (444x125, 5K)

normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie

normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie

normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie normie

>Check word of bags.
Do you mean "bag-of-words"? Here is Slashdot, Digg, Reddit, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Gaia, Ebaums in 2011-2017 (every complete year).
pastebin.com/D3qiqvPM

Attached: social.png (1000x750, 66K)

The same graph without Reddit, Facebook and Twitter.

Attached: social2.png (1000x750, 48K)

Good thread

phoneposters needs to be blocked

Attached: snapshot_15.12.png (1920x1080, 2.83M)

Pretty much around the time of moots leaving and the trump election. Normalfags flooded this site in mass numbers on their stupid phones and had to appropriate normalfag for themselves because saying fag is a no no

based

The total number of posts in the sample for perspective. I chose to not divide the count by the total in the graphs.

Attached: social3.png (2000x1500, 67K)

I think Family Guy is on record coining the term "Normie" many, many years before it became commonplace here. Might be a link.

data is beautiful :^)
truly the best thread on Jow Forums right now

remember moralfag? now that was a term *sips*

Phone and desktop terms: "android", "iphone", "ios", "nokia", "windows", "linux", "bsd", "intel", "amd", "nvidia", "gpu", "thinkpad", "macbook", "os x".
pastebin.com/0YYNv3gt

Attached: phone vs desktop.png (3000x2000, 335K)

this
>nor-mal-fag
vs
>nor-mie

A good idea right there, user. Fewer than I thought remember.
pastebin.com/Mch2cgtW

Attached: -fags.png (1500x1000, 111K)

Jow Forums popularized it in 2014

The same with a percentage.
pastebin.com/t0w6KZ21

That's all for now. Thank you for your suggestions.

Attached: -fags percentage.png (1500x1000, 109K)

fag is just a shit term in general, unless youre using it to mean cigarette

>To not spam rbt.asia with requests
archive.org/download/rbt-asia
you could have gotten close to the current date and only requested that as lots of the archives do regular database dumps to archive.org
doesn't really matter now desu

Good thread OP. Fuck normalfags.

Consider this a P.S. It's the OP graph, but higher resolution and the Y axis is a percentage.
pastebin.com/0gsWAg6r

Thanks. I'll use it next time.

Attached: normalfag vs normie percentage.png (1500x1000, 149K)

Bumping based thread
Fuck normie posters
Normalfag posters are myniggah.jpg

Surprised you didn't compare with the rise of NPC for largely the same thing.

so you're saying the reason "normie" usage is on the rise is because it's a word normalfags are comfortable using?

The successful invation by white supremacists and cultural conservatives brought on by Jow Forums traded the summerfag/newfag/normalfag insults for the more appropriate political memetic warfare words cuck, bluepilled, shill, SJW, kike.

Attached: index.png (225x225, 8K)

pretty simple

That's the premise yeah

Thank you for this thread, OP. I'd bet this graph will look similar to all of the other boards, if this analysis was done site wide.

Also, I know this isn't based on any concrete data, but to me this graph is somehow a window into the current user base that is inhabiting the site. The purple line showing the real and older Jow Forums posters, while the green line represents the disgusting invaders from reddit and wherever else they came from.

Hey, OP, just hijacking your thread to post some findings of my own I did a while back for fun about /a/, /jp/ and Jow Forums. I'm not a regular on Jow Forums but I got linked here from the 4stats thread on /qa/.
My data collection was a lot less rigorous and only plotted counts on an year-by-year basis. I took the proportion of number of posts with each term over the number of posts made each year which is probably shit methodology but oh well.

Attached: normie.png (1201x690, 105K)

>Jow Forums
>full of redditors
what a surprise

Attached: 1532382034725.png (944x4013, 662K)

>old women regularly fill these out late at night listening to cops gun down niggers
only on Jow Forums

Attached: 1535791531521.png (1280x1600, 300K)

Shouldve taken data from the other boards as well, thr two boards youve selected are outliers considering the entirety of this site, and the way you presented it in that picture is pretty disingenuous, almost Jow Forums tier infographics except it isnt even supposed to be propaganda
>posted on /qa/
Nevermind the above then, theres no way you werent trying to create that effect

>4channel got raided in 2015 and never got back to what it was
>2015 was also the year of nu-Jow Forums
>in other news, water was found to be wet

Extra points to OP for nice data science project tho

Combine "os x" with "macos" - I bet that's the reason why it drops off so much near the end

God I miss jacking off to incest/Spiderman threads on /b/

>4channel
>2015

Attached: 1506735462678.png (306x289, 82K)

Time for bed boomer

Attached: 1543872462081.jpg (1024x922, 77K)

I'm going to be up all night, nigga.

Attached: 1405101451185.jpg (400x309, 16K)

Kek'd

>open a wincest thread
>it's overrun with spiderman
>open a spiderman thread
>it's full of incest

Good times...

>What's the joke

This is beautiful. Thank you user. With your tool and more info you can check for forced memes/astroturfing efforts and general shilling.

Attached: 1520565785699.gif (440x512, 265K)

>Incest stories thread
>Story becomes an AMA
>Sounds real, is the opposite of romantic
Uh oh

Attached: 1546429532035.jpg (684x375, 33K)

normalfags picked it up, but didn't want to use something with 'fag' in the same, because it's 'offensive'

What about "norm"?

>incest story thread
>post after post of OP going into detail
>finally, the buildup
>disgonbegud.gif
>open the door
>get on the floor
>everybody walk the dinosaur

Attached: 1436450087499.png (314x364, 120K)

Do a query for boomer and zoomer.

norms kirai

OP is a fag

I'd guess it was meant to show extremes with /jp/ on one side and Jow Forums on the other, with /a/ in the middle

this, do it neromancer

Very interesting. Have a bump

Sorry, it was not my intention to mislead. It was something I did a year ago when I was still inexperienced with this - maybe I'll return to the project at another time and be more careful.
The graph was meant to display the behavior of those boards specifically and not the state of the whole site.
I was interested if there was possibly a resurgence of the word normalfag as a reaction to the rising prevalence of normie. I asked this because I can easily imagine a time before normie broke out into the rest of the internet when using it on Jow Forums would probably not draw too much attention. But as normie became more and more associated with an outsider or "crossboarder" persona, people may start to become more conscious about which term they use. Particularly interesting is /jp/'s early adoption of the word normie followed by a fall as other boards caught on.
If I was to do it again, I would probably also do something with instances of ">normie", or other cases where it's only being used to reprimand or point out another post's use of the word.

>>posted on /qa/
>Nevermind the above then, theres no way you werent trying to create that effect
I was just trying to be open about where I was coming from. I'm not even a regular on /qa/ nor were these ever posted there. Was also just bringing attention to the fact that there's currently a stats thread over there as well for those interested

No worries, I know that Jow Forums is full of ledditors and I won't be denying that any time soon
If you ever return to it though it'd be interesting to see how all the major boards fare
>I'm not even a regular on /qa/ nor were these ever posted there
Oops, looks like I can't read

That really is true. I liked Jow Forums more when our nazis were funny, not some 35 yo boomer from Alabama.

I'd also be interested in the popularity of "NORP"

You really didn't need to justify anything over that guy's persecution complex

Why do some people hate /qa/ so much?

I forgot Gaia Online exists, to be quite honest famalamadingdong. Fuck. Memeories.