/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420), quadcore compatible, classic keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/T530; W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ibm-thinkpad-t42.jpg (1200x969, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-toronto-area/used-thinkpad/k0l1700272?price=0__200
blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/keeping-your-thinkpad-clean
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I got a Dell Latitude E5530 for free. I spent $50 on an SSD, it has 8 gigs of RAM and its pretty nice. The only downside is the display though. What does Jow Forums think of this laptop?

you were supposed to say "lolis", retard

I'm not OP

>tfw i7 Latitude E6520 with every option, backlit keyboard and 1080p display

Could the A series be worthy enough alternative to the X/T series?

Lolis

Attached: 1545653390748.jpg (626x640, 76K)

>6th post

>X61s appreciation reply
Reply to this post if you're a 1024x768 lover.

Attached: 6163-IMG0502s-2.jpg (500x446, 51K)

I don't actually use it

Attached: x61.jpg (895x597, 317K)

>uptime 1 min
every time

Attached: 1544403647274.gif (498x278, 1.69M)

I've been the OP for 6 or 7 of the last 10 threads and it was never me who posted "lolis"
you're late!!!
is that a pen? didn't realize non-tablets had that ability, if it is.
at least he's honest:
>I don't actually use it

yes

>is that a pen? didn't realize non-tablets had that ability, if it is.
Looks like a WWAN antenna

What is on your msata drive?

Is that an air intake on the right side end of the palmrest? My X60t doesn't have this.

that makes sense

That picture might have a pen, however I think it's just an ACTUAL pen. People are weird.

Anyone here that have the X220 tablet? There's one on the used market and I'm planning to get it for pretty much all my computing needs, developing, reading, drawing, browsing etc. Just wanna know if the thing has any long term cons or gotchas that reviews can't cover.

I just got my t440p and I replaced the trackpad from one with a t450 to get those sweet touch buttons. It wasn't working until I uninstalled the old synaptics drivers. I haven't install the t450 synaptics drivers yet but since the touchpad is working should I even bother?

>wangblows

How's the WinVista or Win7 experience on the X200? Can you use it with Libreboot?

>drawing
The drawing part isn't actually that great and has a considerable offset from where the pen nib actually is the closer you get to the edges of the screen.

is there a reason why you can't use linux

>69237261
Check specs and see if it looks alright. And.. just try it?

What's the best site for buying a used Thinkpad here in Sweden?

I'm looking for an X230 btw.

Blocket mannen, spana dagligen och sitt inte och fundera när något kommer upp som är intressant utan slå till.

Tradera också men har haft betydligt mer flyt på blocket.

Har du kontakter inom företagsuppköp eller auktionarbetare kan det vara ett smart sätt också.

>pmed you the fix

Attached: 1544987386658.jpg (1111x611, 127K)

In response to above, any good finds here?
Budget already restricted here
>kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-toronto-area/used-thinkpad/k0l1700272?price=0__200

if you want to watch movies, you want a good 1080p or higher display, no?

well only for the odd kino here and there.
i'd typically cast my shit to my TV honestly

Where's the Trap?

Attached: where_is_the_trap.jpg (1280x1280, 797K)

Which models/generations turned the keyboards into poop? Is there a list or a spreadsheet for it?

your answer is literally in the OP

Should i buy a w520 and use it as a tower? Or buy a prebuilt tower?

depends what you want to do!

Second for I know someone has it... please post?

That guy's channel had a couple other videos too, before he took them down, I wonder if anyone saved those.

Mostly watch videos and some programming like matlab, autocad, python.

well if you want a laptop, a w520 would be decent but if you're not fussed about that, ivy bridge i7 dell optiplex towers can be bought for around £200

I tried to use W520 as a desktop.. too hot.. too damn slow. Get a real desktop.

Would it be justifiable to buy a i5 (2.6 ghz) 8gb t430 to replace my toaster, or it just not much of an upgrade?
Toaster specs: i3-2370m 2.4 ghz, 6 gb of ram, Integrated graphics.

>using a computer for longer than 1 minute with a non bootable USB OS

cringed and blue pilled

Where and for how much do you guys get your batteries?

no just a design

soulless eyes

What's a good place for a leaf to buy

Tips for cooling down my X220? It has a i7 mobo + I'm running Gentoo, runs really hot while compiling.
I recall reading about a annon that replace some parts for X230 ones

put some ice cubes under it

compile outside

to the user witha t420 with nvidia graphics that was trying to coreboot it. were able to get it working?

Attached: P6UxxVE.jpg (2355x2131, 557K)

what's the wrap?

I got a t420. If I hook it up with a 750 ti can it be a decent gaming computer?

How the FUCK do I install Thinkfan for muh gaymes? My T430s overheats 20 to 30 minutes, 1 hour max, into a game (TF2 or Stellaris) needing a hard reset to be usable again. I'm running Manjaro.

Probable, just don't expect to play at 1080p Ultra

bump for this

not really an upgrade
repaste..?

I just want to play 7 days to die in medium settings

Any good or decent budget Ryzen models?

Is there a big leap in terms of CPU performance between t470s and t480s?

yes

Why shouldn't I get an x260? It's the last x with hot swap battery and I care about the performance vs x220/x200 because I'll likely be emulating PS2 and playing other mid spec games on it

Anons dumbo question from a phoneposter waiting till his t510 updates its bios (pic related)
The thing is, i want to switch to linux (yeah /fglt/ exists) but the thing is i want to divide my drive into 5 separate partitions, im an idiot computer wise but it (windows 10 ltsc) doesnt let me make more than 4 partitions and the webz say is a thing about the bios, the question is, is the t510 gpt-compatible? Ty for taking your time to answer

Attached: IMG_20190107_031024.jpg (4000x3000, 2.59M)

Bought a x220 today. Have some experience using ubuntu. Which linux distro should I install?
>inb4 install gentoo

I want to buy a chinkpad with some of my investment earnings to use as an office laptop but does that shit still come with bloatware/spyware preinstalled?

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (748x481, 493K)

single channel memory is a giant nogo for any kind of igpu focused setup, you're easily losing 30% or more performance just because of that one thing

xubuntu

thinkpads never came in preinstalled with spyware, only the consumer shit did besides you want to install your own os from scratch either way

the patrician choice

Should I disable HyperThreading? Lenevo gave me BIOS option to toggle HT.

Attached: HT.jpg (2016x1312, 1.18M)

Is a thinkpad power connector easily replacable? My T530's battery no longer holds a charge and the computer keeps shutting off when plugged in because the connector is loose, and it's really sensitive too, like if you breath on it or look at it funny. I dunno where to get the right connector the og one has like 8 pins on it and it's not soldered yo the board it just kinda hangs in the plastic there with wires going out connecting it to the board. Not really sure what to do.

Thinking about upgrading my T430 to a quad core i7 from taobao. I'm mainly concerned about temps. Can someone share their experience with this mod?

My T430 with 3740QM stays at around 90 degrees at full load. I have the Toshiba dGPU heatsink + fan combo, but I'm pretty sure the fan is not original as it doesn't spin up to the full 6500RPM, so the temps could potentially be a bit better. Liquid metal seems like it could help a bit but I'm too scared to try it.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty great mod. Depending on load, I can even overclock this CPU by 400MHz.

>3740QM stays at around 90 degrees at full load
And that's 45w right? Pretty good. I was thinking about 35w cpus like 3632 or something. Does the dGPU heatsink make difference in your experience?

just received my first thinkpad(x220i), any good resources on how to clean it?
it has a leftover glue from a sticker, the keyboard feels dirty, the screen is okay but i'll probably just clean it with a microfiber towel

blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/keeping-your-thinkpad-clean
Not much, but cleaning them is not difficult. Damp cloth in every surface. The lid finish is easier to clean than it seems, just rub that cloth. And remember, no agressive chemicals

Can I replace the ThinkPad X Series badges on my X61 with the IBM ThinkPad ones instead? Is it possible without replacing the top cover and palmrest etc.? I know I can buy the IBM logo badges from eBay, but do I just peel off the old ones and apply the new ones?

Attached: 1519452204554.gif (499x281, 373K)

Thinking of buying a T480 really soon. Are refreshes coming out soon?

I have one as my main laptop. Mine would often sperg out and register a million touch inputs all over my screen. I couldn't figure it out so I just turned off touch input and now it only recognizes the pen. It actually pretty much fixed everything. Other than that, it's pretty cool.

only if you're paranoid about vulnerabilities, otherwise no
lenovo may announce something at CES, the refreshes probably won't be worth buying over the current series, the best you can hope for is for t480 to get cheaper instead

Memes aside, thanks to those thinkpad general threads, I've got a X200 with libreboot and all the shit for work.

I worked the past 7 months for a small organization, taking pictures, correcting them and a bit of 2D, used the pen and tablet a lot. I'm not the most careful person, so it fall, it had shit fall on it, and not even a scratch.

thanks guys, work is ending soon, so I'll likely swap the bodhi linux to something danker like a gentoo or a funtoo.

A question thou:

Are Thinkpad easy to refurbish and flash? Thinking on getting a backup one for cheap and libreboot it myself.

A495 with Zen2 where

A485/A285

less decent E485

>x230 is working fine as a terminal only system but I'm a gay baby who needs a desktop
>install xorg, xrandr, DE of choice, etc.
>res is stuck at 800x600 and font in terminal emulator is fucked up
>same things happened in the VM install, I can fix this
>x230 screen is apparently "not detected" no matter what drivers and configs I mess with
>I can't fix this

state of linux 2019, still doesn't work

but this year was supposed to be the year!
>implying it doesnt work just because user is a retard

How is the screen color quality in comparison to other thinkpads, or any other devices you own?
Most thinkpads especially the older ones have basic bitch tn panel, just enough to display spreadsheets, so the tablet version maybe have much better panels

Install Windows 10 LTSC

if you don't know what drivers you need to install for your monitor, don't use an OS that requires you to. Use Ubuntu.

Will there be any Thinkpad P or T series with Ryzen CPU?

A series is T/X series, just a different prefix

Would a T42 make for a good win 95 machine? For late DOS and 90's games? I've read its one of the last models that had 95 drivers made for it

What about ThinkPad Helix?

might as well get a A31 with the LS240 floppy drive

I kind of thought i was getting memed into buying a thinkpad but now that I have my t440p i love it. Thanks tpg.
Ps. I prefer the chiclet style keyboard over the classic come at me

>And that's 45w right?
Keep in mind that TDP ratings are just that, ratings. In practice 35W and 45W achieve very similar temps.
>Does the dGPU heatsink make difference in your experience?
I don't know, my T430 had an dGPU heatsink from the start, but I can tell you that the fan manufacturer does make a difference. Toshiba is much louder than Delta, but it spins up to much higher speeds.

I can get a X280 for like $300. Opinions about this machine? Should I get the X280 or rather a X230?

>the faces of mental illness

x280 for 300$ is a steal go get it

>got x230 over x220 due to newer=better
>get used to the keyboard
>now all other laptops keyboard feel like shit
Wat do? Is W540 keyboard comparable to x230 chiclet? Will it last until 2025?

>2c/4t vs 4c/8t
hmm gee I don't know user

>muh performance
>used old machines
you people are mentally ill, aren't you?