Can someone give me an idiot proof rundown on this?

Can someone give me an idiot proof rundown on this?
Why is it shilled everywhere as soon as the topic turns towards servers and why should or shouldn't one use it?

Attached: 1_BXaikL4vYodnbw5LhCuL4w.png (1300x895, 40K)

People reinventing static linking.

I used it for a software engineering course but I think it was just to help contain the whole project, making it easy to remove from computers after the semester

(I know that isn't super helpful)

I love it because i can use SQL-Server (Microsoft SQL) that my school requires to use without having its bloat on my PC

So it actually is just a more ready to go version of clonezilla onto several virtualizations?

Its a automation tool for what all system admin does. some posters will hate it because it will make their job obselete

I treat it like a virtual machine that doesn't hog half my RAM

B-but admins are for emergency case if stuff stops working!

Attached: 1523869204277.jpg (1022x661, 79K)

It is the replacement for 1) outdated Loonixz repositories 2) obscured shell scripts written by loonixz retards for managing corporate infrastructure. Once you know docker you able to replace 10 retarded pajeets

I'm a software engineer that uses Docker for all of our applications. Docker virtualizes all aspects of our app stack (PHP, node, nginx, LBs, SQL, etc.) and allows these containers to be easily linked together, scaled, replaced, upgraded, etc. when combines with an ops solution like Kubernetes. It literally automates out jobs that used to be quite tedious. They are also more efficient to run than individual VMs for each role.

>don't have to worry about what distro the host is running
>guaranteed a clean environment for testing
Why wouldn't you use it, user?

Because ansible and that python shit can die in a fire

I started using this a few weeks ago. It's fucking cool.

>write compose file and upload it to github
>some other developer wants to work on it
>they download the project
>execute docker-compose run
>downloads dependencies from internet
>creates VM that runs on their computer
>directories in VM are linked to directories in project
>developer can then make modifications to code on his PC, then either restart the VM or see the changes live
>every developer who does this has exact same development environment when program runs

Would have made one of my classes so much easier. Requiring everyone to isntall NodeJS, database server, and other applications was a PITA.

It is trying to solve the 'works on my machine' problem and does a decent job at it.

ITT retards who don't know how insecure Docker is. If you're using it for anything other than testing, then thank you for making my infosec job more prestigious, webshits.

for deployment, service concurrency on one or multiple machines using reinvented static linking and isolation through linux namespaces
for developing, useless bloat that can't do proper fucking port forwarding

Attached: 1545787579986.gif (618x894, 21K)

Pretty much this. It's literally a reinvented wheel sold as something new and fancy.

A WHALE MASQUERADING AS A CONTAINER SHIP.

It's basically a minimal VM with setup scripts system
You write your script and then deploy anywhere, it's pretty convenient

basically VMs without the OS

Attached: docker-birthday-3-intro-to-docker-slides-18-638.jpg (638x359, 43K)

Well actual shipping containers on boats aren't something new either, it's just a fucking metal box. And yet it revolutionized shipping.

It's the future of IT straight from the past. Containers have been a thing way before Docker made it cool, check out LXC for instance.
Highly portable, light as fuck compared to VMs, it allows you to atomize any component you might need, makes cleanup and iteration ultra simple, and so on...
Compartmentalization made easy.
I see it like an IT notepad; try some shit, discard it (rip and crumble the page), re-start from a known state, rinse and repeat.
I get paid a shitton of cash to provide Docker expertise to companies, and everyone wants in.
To the masses, it's just a buzzword for hype tech, they all want to jump on the bandwagon but have no fucking idea of what it is and how it works.
Learn to master it, then make fucking bank.
Then you can move on to the next step : Orchestration (like Swarm first and then move on to Kubernetes).
Once you're skilled enough with those, you can get sick-ass jobs that pay out the ass.
But remember you gotta tough up on those skills, it evolves very quickly and you can easily get left behind.

Trading power for ease of use except it's complicated

DevOps is stressful monkey shit.
t. the «lazy» sysadmin

Lazy sysadmin could be making hard cash if he worked hard.

Makes every application have one dependency - docker.
Makes development, testing, and production environments trivial and makes lots of system admin skills redundant.
Spend a week learning docker and you can spin up production environments for most applications as good as sys admins with years experience, hence the seething incel rage against it here