A late era flatscreen CRT monitor looks just as good as a 4k monitor while running at a much lower resolution when...

A late era flatscreen CRT monitor looks just as good as a 4k monitor while running at a much lower resolution when viewed from a typical sitting distance. Why is this?

Attached: crt.jpg (1000x599, 156K)

>not running at the same resolution
are you stupid?

waste of computing power

CRT>Flats
Flats are just cheaper to make and look more high tech.

Nostalgia

0 input latency

Average CRT that people had on their desks looked like shit. Your perception of the past is skewed because only the most expensive highest end CRTs survived into modern times but no one really had those back in the day.

I personally had 17" EIZO and was still blown away by the sharpness of my first LCD which was 15" iiyama.

>A late era flatscreen CRT monitor looks just as good as a 4k monitor while running at a much lower resolution
Uh huh, I see. Are all CRTfags this fucking stupid or what?

Attached: 1546386099370.jpg (490x447, 35K)

>Tyrian
Literally one of the best games ever made

Fuck off, everyone knows CRT is better in every way compared to modern LCD monitors, don't question CRT superiority

>everyone knows CRT is better in every way compared to modern LCD monitors, don't question CRT superiority

Attached: 1546322204926.jpg (700x957, 70K)

>This angers and confuses the zoomer

Attached: 842279.jpg (2400x1720, 1.54M)

is a crt monitor srs worth it boomers? i love the old aesthetic so much and I wouldn't mind rocking one myself. i mostly play shooters and skyrim

I'm using two VGA displays right now. CRTs are still dogshit and you're still dumb. You wanna know why CRTs are dogshit? They're big, they're heavy, they make buzzing noises when I'm trying to work. If they need to be repaired they can literally kill you if you open them. And on top of that, the picture quality is ass. No, the colors are not better than a high quality LCD panel. The things have these weird scan lines too if you run them below 75Hz. CRTs are now considered e-waste, and rightfully so. I wouldn't use a CRT ever again even if you paid me. Fuck CRTs and fuck the hipsters defending e-waste from 1999 that belongs in the dump.

YOUR MONITOR IS GARBAGE. THROW IT AWAY AND BUY ANYTHING ELSE.

No, they fucking suck. But if you really want one you can pull them out of the trash for free. Hope you don't live upstairs.

Attached: 1539215028917.png (1144x888, 337K)

>t. zoomer

>maybe if I call him names it'll make people like my hunk of shit I picked from the neighbor's trash

Attached: vO7lRZ7.jpg.png (621x702, 56K)

>t. zoomer

t. boomer

>0 input latency
>mfw I am the computer

Attached: 8845516156156156156.jpg (470x264, 29K)

Lcd is too (Perfect) whereas plasma/cathode ray tubes are more imperfect
I had eye strain issues with CRT but I realised in hindsight it was because of blue light.
Waiting for oled to take over

Fuck off, CRT boomers. You lost. There are no CRTs being made even in places like India, because nobody wants these flickering shitboxes.

Nope, only 1st world Aryan master race has the sophistication and artistry to manufacture CRT

>If they need to be repaired they can literally kill you if you open them.
>unplug from power
>press power on button to discharge the capacitor
It is now safe to repair.

Why the fuck have I not heard of this before. It seemingly addresses most of the wasted potential the whole shmup genre has by no sticking to the arcade model and instead letting you you find secrets, use your points earned to customize your ship etc. The only issue it seems to have on playing it is the shields are way too cheap and lenient, though I don't know if this will be a problem further in.

>CRTs are now considered e-waste

>20 year old monitor still perfectly usable today
>meanwhile anything oled burns in like crazy and is worthless in a fraction of that time

They were small and expensive.
>most were shitty 15inchers barely pushing resolution higher than VGA and with refresh rates stuck around 60
>17inchers were just slightly better
>19 and above were extremely expensive until production halted and existing stock had to be purged

The image quality was and still is higher than LCD, but the driving force behind buying a screen was size, cost, and fashion. Having a big tv was a symbol of class. The flatness of the LCD also looked very futuristic.

Enjoy your less-than-perfect geometry

I remember dumping my 17" Viewsonic and Sony Trinitrons for Acer 15" LCDs back in the day and never looking back. I don't regret it.
Red/green hue, distorted corners, having to degauss it so often, having to run screen savers and fucking waiting for it to warm on on a cold day. All the static electricity and ticking/clicking sounds, fucking awful.

My eyes were especially sensitive to florescent lighting coupled with CRTs gave me really bad eye fatigue and headaches.

It isn't

because electrons forming the beam are far smaller than pixels.
its like comparing the print from a typewriter to an old dot matrix printer.. the typewriter has finer sub-pixel precision texture, but lacks the control to fully utilize it for arbitrary high resolution use.
its also a mistake a lot of display make when fed low res analog, the presume low res digitization should be used instead of high, assuming pixel-level precision and ignoring sub pixel precision in the process

Attached: type.jpg (487x351, 35K)

What about SED/FED displays? Are they ever going to be a thing? They're pretty similar in principle to CRT TVs.

ded

user, lcds blast your eyes with UV.

Just go all the way user

Attached: Screenshot_20190107-041529_YouTube.jpg (720x698, 60K)

people who get angry at CRT are funny

why do people even argue this more retards thinking CRT is trash = more monitors for us.

could be 50+ years until they produce a display better than CRT

I don't get this. I had a humongous 20' CRT monitor that I picked for free from a repair shop. The guy wanted so bad to get rid of it that he literally gave it to me. Soon after I got a job and bought a 22' IPS panel. It was fucking revolutionary. I've never had my own LCD/LED screen until I was fucking 18, and I was born in 1994! I used fucking CRT until I moved out of my parents. Which god damn CRT had better quality? Their TV had such a shitty resolution that even my PS2 looked gorgeous on anything else. Can someone point me what's so great about it?

Yeah, they're better than TN panels but that's not a high bar. Are they better than IPS? VA? Amoled? God damn show me.

Hi res CRT seems great but as far as I can see is too expensive for anyone aside from hobbyists and collectors

They're better for 2D games that are optimized for it.

>optimized for CRT
jesus christ

Not a joke, some 2D effects like waterfalls on some NES games for example don't work at all on non-CRT screen.

>don't work at all on non-CRT screen.
please explain how that works

You don't need crt screen just slap scanlines filter from the emulator and you've got the best of both worlds.

2008 great recession happened

CRT colors can bleed into another and that was used by some game to make a transparency effect. It just look bad on modern TV.

MY FUCKING FACE WHEN the local dust-coughing oldass boomer gave me his 27-inch Sony Trinitron for free
he even hauled it in my car and made me lemonade and said "Thank you" for taking his "old junk"

Attached: rtlrtyp.jpg (1024x736, 56K)

>Fuck off, everyone knows CRT is better in every way compared to modern LCD monitors, don't question CRT superiority
Except regarding weight, space usage, susceptible to magnets just to name a few weaknesses.

you can blur colors manually, there's a filter in photoshop you can try out
and the blur from CRTs is VASTLY overstated by these nostalgia wierdos
it happened on shitty TVs
proper CRT computer monitors were just as sharp as LCDs

how many magnets do you have lying around by your PC

It was just to say that it look shittier on a LCD if you directly plug a NES in it. But that's specific to those games.

I like them too, but they became physically impractical and couldn't get past the resolution barrier.

That may be so, but that's not what it's been claimed. OP is claiming a 1600x1200 monitor is better than a 4k IPS panel. How the fuck is that possible? I own 3 monitors and one TV now. One IPS 1080p from LG, a 1080p asus TN panel - that has absolutely dog shit colors but has freesync, and a 1440p dell Panel - which blows my old Sony Bravia TV out of the water in quality. I have NEVER EVER seen this alleged god tier CRT, and my parents owned a fucking photoshop/premiere business. They had a dedicated rendering computer back in '2000, so they should had the top tier CRT monitor. But it just wasn't the case. The lowest quality 19' ips panel they rent to own 15 years later had a much better quality than any other shit.

I don't know, bro. I had a iiyama 23" CRT I'd give up my lcd to get back.

Even the shittiest modern tn panel outperforms top of the line old tvs so what kind of stupid hipster you have to be to hoard that dated shit?

Is it like the audiophiles but even more crazy?

I'd like to get a CRT because why not, I live in Europe and there are a shitload everywhere. For what do I look If I want one that has a nice quality to it? I'd like something small enough too but I don't know shit about screens

convergence issues
tired eyes after hours of gaming/browsing at 60hz
your peripheral view is even more suspectable to screenflicker.

they only thing likable is the 'blur' it gives, which makes everything besides small txt look better. i find gta4 on 1024x600 on a 1080p bigscreen far more immersive than 1080p on 1080p, where everything is just hardlined junk.

You get blasted with far more UV running fluorescent or CFL lights.
Good thing I'm on running LED backlits now at sub 65% brightness/contrast. My home is mostly LED lit with CRI >80 and IEC62471 (no blue light) bulbs. With only a handful of CFLs in outdoor or low traffic areas, as those burn out, LEDs will replace them.

Much less of a concern than X-ray radiation, flickering or high frequency whines.

>Much less of a concern than X-ray radiation, flickering or high frequency whines

Attached: paranoid.jpg (852x480, 32K)

what game? was it a sierra game?

Get your fucking eyes checked grandpa.

>CRT boomers
I don't think those exist because boomers lived with CRTs taking up a ton of desk space, making a headache inducing whine the entire time and guzzling on electricity like it was water. As such, they're the ones who can truly appreciate the conveniences of flat panel displays. Zoomers with false nostalgia are the ones idolizing CRT for its "authentic display quality" and "no display lag".

You're the bottleneck now.

No you idiots they used composite signal artifacts to blend colours to gain extra ones and using it to blend things like dithered patterned waterfalls to create a transparency illusion.

Look like I got my shit messed up.

Because you have eye cancer from using crts

If CRT is so good, why do all the league gamers use LCD panels?

CRT brainlets BTFO

Attached: inane3.jpg (594x446, 76K)

are you unironically comparing electrons to pixels

It will obviously never be as sharp.
The max official res of 2304x1440 on the 22.5" (viewable) FW900 is high DPI on paper, but the monitor can't resolve that res very well.

The way pixels are rounder and the image has less of a matrix-of-squares feel, is nice for image quality though. Along with the great contrast, perfect blacks and best viewing angles, of course

The phosphors have finer granularity than 4K LCDs.

Older lcd TN panels were straight up downgrades to crt at the time. Fucking awful. All they had going for them was smaller size/weight and no geometry issues. But you gave up refresh rate, black levels, contrast, input response, resolution and color accuracy for it. It was just easier and cheaper to manufacture them so they were pushed super heavily.

Modern panels are much better, and oled has cleared up every issue aside from input delay. But lcd is a trash technology and lol at anyone actively defending it, especially early implementations of it

sponsors

FUCK What game is that? I played it when I was like 10

They can't even wear different underwear than the one stated in the contract with sponsor.

Tyrian

It’s Tyrian

Either your eyes suck, or the CRT monitor has a similar DPI to the 4K monitor due to being smaller.

The updated version, Tyrian 2000, was actually released for free quite a while ago. You can find it on most abandonware sites or GOG.com.

>people complaining about CRT TV issues think they all apply to CRT computer monitors

Positives:
no input lag
perfect OLED level blacks.
75hz+ refresh rates.
Negatives:
no modern inputs but that shouldn't be a problem with a DVI to HDMI adapter.
Its got burn in, though not as quickly as OLED or Plasma.
weighs as much as a large boat and takes up the space of a small one, kinda like a pocket battleship.

Attached: kill me.jpg (132x124, 5K)

I have crts, lcd's and an LG c8 oled. None of my crts have had burn in, the oled has no burn in, but I've had two lcds with burn in. One was an 2007 era lg HDTV, the other a modern rog ips panel. Burn in all around the corners

Fuck lcd

No it fucking doesn't you retard crt shill fag

Attached: 1489954109030.jpg (418x482, 52K)

I like CRT PC monitors for a few reasons. The nice colors, variable refresh rate and adjustable resolution make them godly for anime. I can watch something that was mastered for DVD or 1080p blu rays with no scaling and with the refresh rate perfectly synced to the video frame rate. A high end one can make 1920x1440 at 96hz or at least 85hz which doesn't flicker or hurt my eyes at all.

I like them also for FPS games. On my veiwsonic I use 1600x1200 110hz. It's not just about input lag, but the total lack of motion blur. There are 144hz tn panels that pretty much lack blur now, but the colors are dogshit. There are 144hz IPS - I have one - but when shit is moving fast it gets somewhat blurry. Now there are some bad CRTs with afterglow motion blur, but mine doesn't have it.

I still use LCDs for browsing and such. They really are ideal for that and I want my tubes to last as long as possible.

The shit thing about gaming on CRTs now is there are no graphics cards with analog output. 980 Ti/maxwell Titan is fine for now but soon it will be outdated. That displayport>vga dongle is too laggy. I wonder if there's a better one so I could use mine with a 2080 ti.

based

>A late era flatscreen CRT monitor looks just as good as a 4k monitor while running at a much lower resolution when viewed from a typical sitting distance. Why is this?
Because you're dealing with too small a screen size to notice a difference between 4K and 1440p

play quake on a crt @ 85 hz vs a 144 hz lcd. crt wins

Just fuck my electric bill up

>A late era flatscreen CRT monitor looks just as good as a 4k monitor while running at a much lower resolution when viewed from a typical sitting distance.
it doesn't, go ahead and try to display a solid color fullscreen
it's not supposed to gradient into a different color toward two of the corners like that, which is a consistent flaw with flat crts

you can only trust curved crts