He pays for a Virtual Private Network

>he pays for a Virtual Private Network
heh

Attached: 1B0EC239-F7B8-4AE2-A20C-6A94874A60AC.png (561x590, 461K)

Fuck off and die anime poster

Attached: cutie.jpg (600x600, 33K)

anime website

Yeah for the price of a VPN you can rent a VPS and install openVPN on it
fuck off and die stupid frogposter

at that point wouldn't it still be a vpn? Also can the VPS host monitor the content of w/e you're doing (similar to most vpns) or is it truly the patricians' trustless browsing?

VPN or VPS only makes sense when payed anonymously and tunneled inside tor, VPN/S provider can still track you and give out your info, tor doesn't have that problem since it doesn't require trusting a single provider, however tor has the problem of being banned on most online services such as Jow Forums and IRC, that's where VPN/S solves the problem. On that setup VPN/S providers can still track what you do but they don't know who you are.

Also if you live in the states you need a VPN/S to torrent (or so they say).

Jow Forums is a frog website first and foremost

>Yeah for the price of a VPN you can rent a VPS and install openVPN on it
you.. have no idea how a vpn works, do you faggot? just making up shit as you go! you're ever so smart. here's your (you), clueless faggot.

>Jow Forums
Um... Sweetie.... This is 4channel and it was made to discuss anime and Japanese culture...

Attached: scewjih3aa421.jpg (576x474, 42K)

>mfw chrome file picker doesn't show network drives anymore
>tfw i have no face anymore
good thread

so let me get this straight
(me) - (tor) - (VPN / VPS) - (website)
is the correct way of doing a trustless system (assuming the CIA doesn't own every node)

and that
(me) - (vpn) - (tor) - (content)
is futile because the VPN would be a single point of failure?

don't isps get angry if they see tor in their logs? what is a way around that if so?

>I pulled that out of my ass

(you) - (vpn1) - (tor) - (vpn2) - (content)

Who are you quoting?

Attached: 1515706455478.jpg (277x296, 24K)

wouldn't VPN1 see all the traffic in the chain?

You, sweaty

I do know how a VPN works, it requires trusting the VPN provider which makes a VPN alone nothing but expensive placebo, read There's no point in chaining (vpn) > (tor) because you can't trust a VPN anymore than your ISP so the VPN in that case wouldn't do anything, you can just connect to tor directly (unless you're on those countries that ban tor like mainland china).
Also for maximum privacy you wouldn't want to connect to all websites with (me) - (tor) - (VPN / VPS) - (website) combo because that would make easier for the VPN to profile you, the VPN is only useful to unblock services that block tor, and that is a compromise because VPN can still profile you, just not know who you are.

Colocated physical hardware with tamper resistance tools is the patrician option.

You most have some incredible trouble reading then. Is English perhaps your second, or even third language?

Attached: 1382569959395.png (558x373, 24K)

>nothing but expensive
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH $50 or less year... EXPENSIVE! how poor are you??
> placebo
agahaahahHAHAHAHahahahahahaha
wow. you really do have no fucking idea what you are talking about. you are 100% COMPUTER ILLITERATE. absolutely embarrassing.

dude, you're the one who's embarrassing yourself...

> IRC
just stop lying, faggot. not all IRC servers give a single fuck about the connections that are incoming from TOR exit nodes.
> the VPN is only useful to unblock services that block tor,
wow. you're also computer illiterate?
> thinks a VPN is a placebo
TOP FUCKING KEK.

> muh computer illiteracy
Jow Forumsenius

>just stop lying, faggot. not all IRC servers give a single fuck about the connections that are incoming from TOR exit nodes.
not all, but most of the major ones do
> thinks a VPN is a placebo TOP FUCKING KEK.
What part of "the VPN provider can still log your activities and giving them to your adversary" don't you understand?

thanks. so the kino setup is
1. More tumultuous stuff
>(me) - (tor) - (#n vpn/s) - (website)
and to live in a free country + yagi public WiFi to avoid correlation attacks
2. bandwidth limiting / less wild
>(me) - (#unrelated vpn/s) - (website)

also I see people are giving you shit about that placebo line. If I understand correctly, a VPN is only as trustworthy as a warrant. Would you consider non-14 eyes vpns not placebo assuming they had a warrant canary and had a history of telling people to fuck off?

right and then your the only dumb fuck on that ip, congrats you honeypotted yourself.

You're either a newfag or a retard. Or both

>pays
One of the guys I host for hooked me up, I don't pay for shit

>Would you consider non-14 eyes vpns not placebo assuming they had a warrant canary and had a history of telling people to fuck off?
Well, I just think it's wise to not trust any person or entity so I discard any trust-based services, having the option to use tor I don't see any reason to trust a VPN/S provider, sure a
reputable VPN with a canary is better than one without, but at any moment that can change their policy and start logging and handing out data.
Oh, right, VPNs use multiple IPs so it provides extra protection against tracking from the websites you connect to.

there is multiple users per ip, that said you always wonder about logging

that is very inciteful, thank you. My last question is I've heard doing large bandwidth things over TOR is a scumbag thing to do. Do I just tell TOR nodes to get bent or do I just evaluate my threat model?

God I wish that were me.

>he uses a VPN when he could use a seedbox

It depends, tor actually needs traffic in order for it's security to work, the more people use tor the best, tor requires many users and lots of traffic so individual users are disguised in the tor network, the problem is if there's more traffic than the network can handle since tor has a limited number of nodes and bandwidth, I personally wouldn't download my 1080p animu over tor, not only that would be slow but if everyone did it it would probably slowdown the tor network but I don't know exactly at what point the traffic stops helping the network and starts harming it.
If you just want to download your daily anime I don't think there's any point in using tor (unless anime is haram where you live), no one cares about flacs and chinese cartoons.
For more sensitive stuff (stuff that can be used against you in any way) I recommend using tor

Fuck off weeb, go ahead and masturbate to your imaginary pedo shit

Attached: 5b3549d692ea4.jpg (1069x1025, 192K)

that's what I was thinking. My threat model isn't 3 letter but dystopia comes sooner than later so its nice to know.
Thank you a lot for your insight user as well as everyone in this thread, I learned new things :)

Attached: 1514339267433.gif (540x304, 1.86M)

Can someone explain a brainlet why this isn't the best option

(you) - (vpn) - (third party socks5)

Attached: 1523043318748_0.png (1956x2194, 3.03M)

Attached: 21572896.jpg (1789x2112, 474K)

Because both the vpn and socks5 proxy can be compromised and handover your data

I just use openVPN so Verizon can't data mine me and I can use public wifi safely. I don't give a shit about true anonimization, I just want to stop being datamined and served ads.

The VPN would only know I'm connecting to an encrypted proxy and the proxy would only know I'm connecting from a VPN host.

To compromise my data both services would need to be compromised and link the two together.

Yes but you're assuming that both aren't compromised at the same time, I get what you mean, but tor exists.

Rude frogs are rude.

Attached: 1530940868156.jpg (1000x1197, 153K)

nice argument. go back to Jow Forums

I used that joke months ago.

Attached: 753a01c7ec030329e5df08f46ae0f66b03bcdb33d996fda4c2e694766f53b8c7.jpg (327x316, 26K)

Newfag