Steve Klabnik leaves Mozilla

The big Rust evangelist guy is out. Is this good or bad for the future of Firefox?
words.steveklabnik.com/thank-u-next

Attached: talk.jpg (1280x720, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18845174
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18846063
news.ycombinator.com/best
arclanguage.org/forum.
paulgraham.com/hackernews.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

probably good considering anyone connected to Rust is a huge faggot

His comments on the HN story indicate that a lot of Rust is outside of Mozilla's control these days.
HN story
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18845174
His comment on Rust control
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18846063

One look at him and I can promise you that his departure isn't bad.

I hope he dies from aids

>HN
you know the germans built gas chambers for people like you

It's really really really good for Rust, I'm extremely happy, this year will be good.

For whom?

>future of Firefox?
Excellent joke, user.

>future
>firefox

>that hair and those ear gauges

It's good.

Attached: 1484624617010.jpg (570x845, 75K)

HNiggers like you

>Mozilla

Attached: womyn_and_shitskins_cant_into_merit.png (1352x1448, 182K)

>gauged ears

Why is people so fucking stupid.

Germans built gas chambers for people who read what is one of the best tech news aggregators, despite the SJW commenters? That's impossible. The Internet didn't even exist at the time.

>HN
feels weird when edgy satire accurately describes your shit community

>His comments on the HN story indicate that a lot of Rust is outside of Mozilla's control these days.
that's good to hear tho.
fuck mozilla

Is this the guy who created a sex tape with Alex Crichton?

No this is the creator of Rust

How dare you assume x*r gender?

>Fireshit
>having a future since Quantum was introduced
Dead software.
56 was the last good Firefox.
Time to move onto new pastures or stay on 56 until it finally breaks up.
I am sure some group of autists who hate Chromium and what Mozilla has become to the core of their being are working on a new browser with its own philosophy which won't be subverted by Googlebola.

Waterfox or bust.

>In terms of the actual work I would like to do, I don’t think a traditional engineering role really suits me.
>What I really love to do is teaching, evangelizing, and growing something. I’ve done it with Rust, and I can do it again. I could see several roles or hybrid ones here, with titles like “developer evangelist,” “product manager”, or possibly even “VP of Growth.”
dude wants to be an happiness manager, fuck this guy.

>I am sure some group of autists who hate Chromium and what Mozilla has become to the core of their being are working on a new browser with its own philosophy which won't be subverted by Googlebola.
yes and they will lose interest soon and the fork will die too.

> >What I really love to do is teaching, evangelizing, and growing something
Buy him a bathmate, somebody.

what's the purpose of HN? it seems like reddit w/ a slight bar of entry.
Basically how do you efficiently browse HN?

The only way to lose interest is if you are a 2 or 3 person group. The amount of people taking a shit on the current browser buttscene and the amount of disgruntled addon devs who can't do shit with the new API because it is dogshit, makes for a pretty large group of potential browser developers working on a new project. This is far less complicated than making Linux distros, yet has more immediate practical usage and interest to be done.

no shit. just look at him

Check news.ycombinator.com/best every couple of days or subscribe to the HN Digest (but it has a(i)ds).

thank you. Do you have any RSS filters, I am wary of some of these articles being shill pieces.
regardless signal to noise looks promising compared to r*ddit.

Attached: stn.jpg (1440x1998, 436K)

I don't. Someone should write a filter. Hacker News gets too many "social issues" stories.

I'll work on it soon for RSS. My plan is to make a turnipless feed of select subreddits and other websites so I can learn even more w/o cringe. Thanks man

He has the physiogamy of a massive fag/ soiboi.

Fuck this guy

>physiogamy
Nature-fucking?

10 years ago the company that made Hacker News (ycombinator) gave reddit money to get started. When reddit started getting users ycombinator forked reddit's source code and made their own version. That's why they look similar. HN has more strict moderation and rules for commenting for new users. The guy running it wants it to be like an elitist version of reddit.

i think he meant physio-gnomey

>When reddit started getting users ycombinator forked reddit's source code and made their own version
They didn't. Paul Graham, the founder of Y Combinator, wrote Hacker News when working on his new programming language, Arc. He wanted a Lisp tightly integrated with a web framework, and proto-Hacker News was the demo application. You can still see it more or less unchanged at arclanguage.org/forum. Soon afterwards he quit reddit forever because he thought the comment quality had become too low (the irony).

that's what I found out, is it as shadowban and censorship friendly as reddit?
Basically can I call someone an idiot/liar w/ mean names attached w/o getting downcummied to death?

>can I call someone an idiot/liar w/ mean names attached
No.

Oh I was wrong then my mistake. So he made HN after getting mad about reddit

>downcummied
disgusting term

The site actually forbids new users from downvoting and comments from new users and users that frequently get downvoted are also transparent so they're harder to read. I don't know about shadowbanning but I know they'll probably ban you outright if you try trolling.

Probably not very different from reddit in actuality.

sucks, wearing a suit and tie on a forum really blows but I guess that's what it is. I'll just use it as an RSS
Its so fucking funny, I love it ;)

>;)
Where did you crawl in from?

again that blows, in a way I like the gate keeping as to avoid some shilling and eternal summer, but karmafagging is such a degenerate piece of shit system. thanks for the input

/b/ is the best gatekeeping

ur mum clean your room honey except your sheets mommy will take those *sniff* oh yes magnificent
I appreciate it for what it is, but /v/ and r/* seem to migrate to Jow Forums directly. fortunately the exodus opened way to other options and IRC exists, whenever the signal to noise cracks 1:15 I'll gtfo

love you anons

More like before-during. He'll never disavow reddit outright because he is an investor and a personal acquaintance of the founders, but he's written a lot about how he didn't want to HN to turn into reddit. He closed registration when redditors showed up en masse and made software design decisions that he thought would prevent it, such as hiding the posts' score. But I don't think he really succeeded.

paulgraham.com/hackernews.html is interesting.
>Keeping a lid on stupidity is harder, perhaps because stupidity is not so easily distinguishable. Mean people are more likely to know they're being mean than stupid people are to know they're being stupid.
>The most dangerous form of stupid comment is not the long but mistaken argument, but the dumb joke. Long but mistaken arguments are actually quite rare. There is a strong correlation between comment quality and length; if you wanted to compare the quality of comments on community sites, average length would be a good predictor. Probably the cause is human nature rather than anything specific to comment threads. Probably it's simply that stupidity more often takes the form of having few ideas than wrong ones.
>Whatever the cause, stupid comments tend to be short. And since it's hard to write a short comment that's distinguished for the amount of information it conveys, people try to distinguish them instead by being funny. The most tempting format for stupid comments is the supposedly witty put-down, probably because put-downs are the easiest form of humor. [5] So one advantage of forbidding meanness is that it also cuts down on these.
>Bad comments are like kudzu: they take over rapidly. Comments have much more effect on new comments than submissions have on new submissions. If someone submits a lame article, the other submissions don't all become lame. But if someone posts a stupid comment on a thread, that sets the tone for the region around it. People reply to dumb jokes with dumb jokes.

He just wrote documentation.

HN is such a shit circlejerk. It also has so many autistic programmers who don't stay in their fucking lane, often taking some boring textbook software engineering shit and applying it in some way that makes no fucking sense, like shoehorning their Californian leftist politics in ways that shouldn't even be possible. "Why pure functions in Haskell are proof that the Trump presidency is bad".

This guy sounds like one of reddit's nazi mods. Jow Forumsscience has mods like him that will delete 100s of comments because they're too short or they have a joke in them. To be fair to Jow Forumsscience though they're one of the better subs and are great for finding science stories

Install Ungoogled Chromium
t. used firefox for 10 years

>so many autistic programmers who don't stay in their fucking lane
Though I agree that HN is full of Californian leftists who think they know how to run the world, this is a very ironic thing to say on Jow Forums.

>To be fair to Jow Forumsscience though they're one of the better subs and are great for finding science stories
Presented without comment.

Thank you for contributing to Blink's encroaching monopoly.

why didn't that guy use racket or wasn't racket a thing then?

Arc is built on top of Racket. It follows a different philosophy than Racket itself. It's influenced by Common Lisp. You can find more about how it was designed if you search a little.

He's a lot smarter than you, nerd.

it's an open source monopoly cmon

De facto controlled by Google. With Chrome, Blink, Android, search, AMP, etc. they are close to owning the the Web like Microsoft could never dream to. Even with open source competition is important and what keeps projects honest.

>This is far less complicated than making Linux distros
>taking ubuntu, cutting out "bloatware" and adding riceware WMs is hard

Your browser is the first vanguard in contact with interwebs. You either fork Chrome or Firefox to make porting security updates manageable, get 250K monthly on parteon to pay a small army of devs or bend over for ((their)) funding

>You either fork Chrome or Firefox to make porting security updates manageable, get 250K monthly on parteon to pay a small army of devs or bend over for ((their)) funding
Or you get funding because is a maniac who hates (((them))), Corps, Marketing, and Governments, and wants a secure browser for against his preconceived hated plague. There's always such a millionaire/group and interest to fund secure shit.