Gentoo question

Is it possible to change the flags in /portage/make.conf after the installation? I was following a guide so I kept the default ones to not mess up the installation but now I'd like to optimize them for my CPU (Family 6 Model 58: i7-3770 @ 3.40Ghz).

Here's how my file looks in pic related

Attached: IMG_20190107_173804.jpg (5312x2988, 2.53M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Portage#Updating_the_system
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CPU_FLAGS_X86
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Portage#Updating_the_system
>If the USE settings of the system have been altered, it is recommended to add --newuse as well. Portage will then verify if the change requires the installation of new packages or recompilation of existing ones:
root #emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world

>-j5
?

Looks like I fucked up the formatting, here's just the command itself.
emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world

Btw, you can add --pretend to see which packages would be merged without actually doing anything.

number of threads to be used by make, it's in the gentoo handbook.

Updating your packages doesn't automatically rebuild the kernel btw, so if you want to do that, you have to do it manually.

I only want to change the MAKEOPTS setting to -j8. What command would I need to issue to update the change?

Your CFLAGS are good.
Set your CPU_FLAGS_X86 if you haven't already.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CPU_FLAGS_X86

>What command would I need to issue to update the change?
What do you mean?

>Set your CPU_FLAGS_X86
To update THAT change btw run

I changed MAKEOPTS from -j5 to -j8 then issued emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world but it found nothing to merge. I guess changing MAKEOPTS doesn't need it? And yes I'm not changing the flags anymore because I've read -march=native automatically detects the CPU! Thanks!

Based on the way you phrased the OP, I thought the new flag you added was -march=native. If you only changed the makeopts then you don't need to re-compile anything, because -j5 is a flag that's used when make is called, not when it is compiled.

>I changed MAKEOPTS from -j5 to -j8 then issued emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world but it found nothing to merge
Well duh.
The -jn flag tells the compiler to divide the compilation process into n jobs.
If you have a dual core CPU, you wanna use -j2.
That way, the compilation will be divided into two threads, one for each core and it'll be faster than -j1.
If the cores are dual threaded, you probably want -j4.
The number you use should be number of cores x number of threads per core to get the best compile times.
The -j flag only affects compile times.
>And yes I'm not changing the flags anymore because I've read -march=native automatically detects the CPU!
No, CFLAGS and CPU_FLAGS_X86 are entirely different things.
CPU_FLAGS_X86 are USE flags that enable CPU specific features for things like ffmpeg and whatnot.
Read the wiki more carefully and set your
CPU_FLAGS_X86.

CFLAGS are not USE flags btw, they're options which are passed to the compiler.
CPU_FLAGS_X86 on the other handis anUSE_EXPANDvariable.

Does that mean things are not recompiled if you only change the CFLAGS and use --newuse? How can you force recompilation then?
Btw, I never got this CPU_FLAGS_X86 thing. Is it "better" than simply using -march=native?

Nvm I'm retarded, use flags are use flags and not compiler optimizaitons.

Yeah, I was talking about COMMON_FLAGS. I'll leave those as they are. I've already installed CPU_FLAGS_X86 but I don't know what to set, should I just leave as it is and update the make.conf with flags as I'm installing new stuff?

>Gentoo
>Have to take a photo instead of a screenshot
>A fucking photo! In a functioning operating system
oooohhhh

I'm compiling the browser still

>I've already installed CPU_FLAGS_X86 but I don't know what to set
Literally just install cpuid2cpuflags, run it like so
$ cpuid2cpuflags

and copy the output to your make.conf.
For example, I myself get
CPU_FLAGS_X86: aes avx mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3

so I put
CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3"

in my make.conf

Make sure you've selected the desktop profile.

>Is it possible to change the flags in /portage/make.conf after the installation?
Of course. Your cflags and so on are passed to the compiler, so they only apply to any packages you compile from that point on. You can recompile everything by doing emerge -e world, but it's probably a waste of time, desu.

If you change USE-flags you can pass the -N flag to emerge to recompile packages that are affected by the new use flags. Typically you'd do something like emerge -uDNa world in the real world.

Thanks done :)