Should game devs stick to Windows and stop bitching?

Should game devs stick to Windows and stop bitching?

Attached: Screenshot_20190107-200645_1.png (720x767, 92K)

Linux users should stop bitching.

>points out majority of linux users are lobotomized third worlders who cant even turn off crash reports
K E K

>we're

Attached: 1526815656098.jpg (1080x1080, 799K)

Go back to /v/

>uses

>linux port is terrible because developers aren't experienced with Linux
>it's a problem with Linux
No, it's the same momentum problem as usual.

>Not building your server dist for linux
I won't buy it if I can't host on linux

>HURRDURR SUPPORT OUR FRACTURED ECOSYSTEM THAT NO ONE USES ANYWY

>cleverly hiding the crash:sell ratio for Windows which should be way larger

I never said that. I simply said trying to pin this on a technical issue with Linux is misguided. I actually own Planetary Annihilation and mostly use Linux. Half the problems stem from their choice of Chromium Embedded Framework based UI middleware, which really doesn't like Linux or even Wine. The rest seem to stem from some kind of problem with the graphics implementation in their Linux version, the Windows version renders fine under Wine but the Linux one corrupts horribly on the exact same machine.

They should just test their games for a few distro, for example - Debian stable and CentOS. If someone comes with problem on another distro give them "install recommended distro" treatment. No need to try to support this fractured world, just a few distros.

(To clarify, that particular middleware doesn't like Wine, Chromium Embedded Framework itself is perfectly good on Linux I use it all the time).

doesn't like Linux* oops

At this point, what difference does it make? I'd much rather developers worked to enhance their games' compatibilty with Proton than to release natve ports. Probably easier to sandbox Proton programs too.

h-hey guys... this thread is also up on /v/... p-please stop making fun of us...

Attached: 1546524788487.jpg (529x586, 26K)

NVIDIA and AMD are to blame for poor graphics driver quality on Linux, not game devs, and not the Linux community. Closed, proprietary hardware or software = problems and conflicts.

>write game in Vulkan with knowledge you're going to release it on Linux in mind
>have zero problems
lmao

>Closed, proprietary hardware or software = problems and conflicts.
Then why is the open source option the only one having such problems and conflicts

Because the hardware specs are closed, Nouveau devs have to reverse engineer and guesswork everything.

In terms of objective quality the ranking is something like:
Important closed source software > Open source software >>>>>>>>> Side project closed source software. Linux is a side project for those hardware vendors.

how do I get pirated games in linux so i can not support this ungrateful dev.I want linux piracy not emulated piracy please.

Reposting from the other thread since you can't contain yourselves with your shitposting.

Attached: exposed.jpg (632x468, 49K)

What's the point of Linux as a desktop OS now that Windows 10 has Linux built in?

>openly admits that his team are full of brainlets who can't into lincucks

>doesn't even works on the port
>lincucks sux XD

Wasn't that game shit anyways? I remember a lot of negative reviews everywhere

Yes. And a patch that was fixing the game was released as a standalone game

There was a bit of controversy about pricing, trying to start another project before it was finished, the expansion pack being an entirely separate game you had to buy, etc., I think that was most of it.
The game itself is pretty good imo, my only complaints would be:
The matches tend to be a bit samey, the large spherical maps leaves less room for interesting level design.
The gameplay is a bit shallow, lack of factions and unit upgrades again makes things feel a bit samey.
The space stuff is so-so, awkward to work with and non-existent outside of planetary orbits.

I don't care. No Tux, no bux.

>>it's a problem with Linux
It is.

Attached: 1536646765287.png (2000x8729, 3.86M)

kek

No it isn't. That diagram is fucking bullshit, most of those forks died a month after being created. If you look at the Slackware forks the only one that exists today in any sort of meaningful way is OpenSuse. The rest should be culled off the list. If you curated that list based off of active users there would maybe with ten or so active distros.

GNU/Linux.
When you are ready to stop playing games.

Oh, and - Fuck You.

Attached: images(7).jpg (124x93, 4K)

That's still a metric assload more than two current supported Windows OSs and the same for Apple's

If only I had heard of Fatbot 2000's game I might actually care but I have not so I don't.

He should worry about his cholesterol more than that salty shit that he's tweeted.

1. There is no evidence that that is responsible for this problem. I've experienced my fair share of those kinds of "we targeted another distro" problems and they almost always cause the application to flat out refuse to launch citing a missing dynamic library, not sporadically crash during use.
2. The problem is largely self correcting, the people who use the more unusual distros are far more likely to be capable of running of the application from the terminal, observing that libstupid.so.2 is missing and taking the necessary steps to correct that.

Loonextards unironically post this.

>Thing.
>When you're ready to not have a hobby I don't like.

Best sales pitch, you totally sound like an adult lmao not

>>If you curated that list based off of active users there would maybe with ten or so active distros.
>t. freetard

Attached: 1530669198840.png (930x1027, 202K)

That's the internet for ya. Where small insignificant groups can make enough noise and present themselves as something larger than what they are.

That's why companies and devs depend on collected telemetry. It shows them exactly what features are used and what's not. Rather than depend on vocal minorities who bitch about everything, yet are the least significant consumer group.

I love linux. It's an invaluable OS when you need to run something with the least amount of specs. Though, it's fucking pointless to dev for when it comes to commercial games and applications.

It's a fucking nightmare to support, whether you're a hardware manufacture or software developer, and you can thank a fragmented community for that, where everyone thinks they can make a variant of linux that's the best of the best.

>blocking a significant portion of bug reports, the single best way to know how to improve your product
What a fucking idiot. And I say that as a huge Planetary Annihilation fan, and someone who loathes Linux and its cult-like following (outside of places where Linux is actually useful, like enterprise work).

His stance is just massively illogical.

Attached: 1486696484377.png (649x611, 639K)

Distrowatch isn't necessarily accurate, but let's pretend that it is. The market share of the bottom one on that list (Voyager) is 0.7%. Halfway up the list (PCLinuxOS) you're looking at about 1.1%. The top six distros make up 38%. Of those top six, five are almost the same thing with Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Elementary and MX Linux all being Debian based. A huge number of remaining ones are also basically the same as those five: Ubuntu Mate, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Lite, Voyager, Kubuntu, Endless, Zorin, Deepin, KDE Neon, etc. There are also several that are almost the same as Manjaro: Antergos and Arch at the very least.
Of the remainder a large number are quite disingenuous to include: Tails is a security focused stateless OS that nobody is going to attempt to play games on. Kali is only really used for pentesting. FreeBSD (and anything derived from it, like TrueOS) isn't even Linux, it's a completely separate kernel and operating system. ReactOS isn't even similar to Linux, it's a completely separate attempt to reimplement Windows.
The list looks big and scary but in reality if you check it works on Arch and Debian you've covered most of it.

Add SmartOS to that list of disingenuous conclusions, it's Solaris based.

>blocking
Why would you deal with something that's self-inflicted???

KYS.

Attached: images(5).jpg (256x197, 6K)

Open source graphics drivers are dogshit.
I recently switched my machine over to Debian however the installer made me install Gallium graphics drivers because they "Respected my freedoms."
What ever I said, after booting the system I installed steam, activated Proton and installed some games to test it.
It couldn't even fucking run Terraria with out dropping frames and slowing down. Same thing would happen with my other games, various graphical glitches and frame drops.
Fed up I installed the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. Then with a wave of a magic wand and a short reboot, everything worked perfectly.

Switch your drivers. Anything else is a problem with WINE/Proton or the Distro itself.

here's a crazy idea: make it work with linux, but don't provide support to linux users

A lot of the time platform specific bugs are actually poor code that only happens to rear it's ugly head under certain conditions.
For example I had a bug on Windows in a C++ application that turned out to be that I was initializing several threads accidentally in static variable constructors so they were getting launched before the main function had even been entered. Linux was capable with dealing with this but Windows wasn't and it was a definite code smell.
Another time I found some pointers that had been uninitialized when they should have been made null, on Linux this was fine, they'd ended up null anyway but on Windows they ended up non-zero and caused a segmentation fault.
I write for Linux first and then test on Windows later so that's why these are Windows specific bugs, I'm sure if I started on Windows and went to Linux I would find a different set of bugs all the same.

>make it work with linux
Which Linux though? The kernels are all over the place from one distro to the next. It's a mess.

If you target Debian or even Ubuntu you grab the majority of Linux marketshare (for example spotify supports only Ubuntu but I got it to work pretty easily on pure Debian)

That's why openBSD keeps supporting an incredible range of architectures (I remember they supported even fucking VAX)

how? drivers are the same across the multiple distros, make your game compatible with the latest official stable-release drivers and that's it.

>The kernels are all over the place from one distro to the next. It's a mess.
I'm not sure what kind of world you're picturing where you write games not only directly against the kernel API, but directly against the new rapidly changing parts of the kernel API. The only time I have ever used that API directly is for child process spawning and network sockets and those haven't changed since time immemorial.

>having choices is bad
Truly NPC.

Could also mean that people who use Linux are more likely to send crash reports in the first place.

Could also mean that they're all doing their own debugging and none of the automatically sent crash reports needed to b sent.

>t. butthurt loonix autist

Attached: images(67).jpg (226x223, 13K)

Attached: images(11).png (276x182, 12K)