The Blu-ray fuckery

>flood in the storage area of my local supermarket
>slightly damaged goods for sale
>5 BD-R for $5
>buy two boxes because 250 gb of storage for $10, might use them as backup
>actually never had a BD writer, but remember they cost about $70-$100
>discover the AACS bullshit, that W10 doesn't natively support BD format, and cheapest writers don't come with software ; you have to pay a third-party software

Can I have a quick recap on what I should know about BD ? Is it just not worth it ?

Attached: 10 bucks in the water.jpg (1200x1200, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_optical_data_storage
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install gentoo.

>AACS
You can thank me later

Attached: 1.png (480x288, 2K)

delete this

>discover the AACS bullshit
only applies to commercial movie releases and each iteration of the DRM has been cracked within a couple of months of being released; I use makemkv to copy blu ray movies I buy/rent/borrow from my local library
>that W10 doesn't natively support BD format, and cheapest writers don't come with software
learn to open sores

stay away form anything related with sony

BD backup fag here.
Blu-rays are supported since windows vista sp3.
You're talking about blu-ray movies with drm and shit.
Using blu-rays as backup media is perfectly ok.
also,
>5 BD-R for $5
I bough a 50 BD-R pack for 45$ a month ago.

Can't code, can't install Gentoo. I know you're just memeing, but I wouldn't be able to do it. Also my shitty laptop already runs hot from a few hours of basic browsing, I can't let it on compiling for a few days. I plan to switch my laptop from W10 to Debian in a nearby future (need a backup HDD first) because i already have spontaneous reboots.
>only applies to commercial movie releases and each iteration of the DRM has been cracked within a couple of months of being released
I was aware of this when making the OP. If you prefer to call it "the AACS joke", fine.
>learn to open sores
I wasn't aware of FOSS players and burning softwares on Windows when making the OP, literally no article about BD talked about them until I searched "free Blu-ray software for windows". Sorry, I thought it was banned due to licensing.

Any advice on writers (CD/DVD/BD of course) and software then ?

Attached: Piece of shit.png (660x525, 37K)

>bought a 50 BD-R pack for 45$ a month ago.
Online, at a market, or in an actual store ?

amazon, japan import, by mitsubishi

Do you include the import fees ?
If yes we Europeans are fucked in the ass.
BDs are most of the time sold for 1€/disc even online.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I WANT HOLOGRAPHIC DISCS ALREADY

>tfw your local supermarket will never be flooded
You can burn Blu-ray discs on Gnu plus linux right?

we'll probably have glass discs in 2025

We wont have anything and well all be dead.

Is that what an m-disc is? You can buy that now.

fine by me... at least with the last statement

No M-Discs are like rocks or something.

Godspeed OP, at least you're not trying to burn blu rays on Linux which is a total nightmare

no

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_optical_data_storage
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage

Attached: 0626datastorage02.jpg (961x641, 26K)

How so?

Why doesn’t someone just invent 6D optical storage?

you can't cook an MRE on an m-disc they aren't big enough

because 5D is good enough

I wonder if I can cook cookies or pancakes in my disc drive.

>makeMKV
>rip everything
>????????

Data disks for backups don't require special software, while burning movies is kind of pointless when you can just stream a ripped or torrented copy over the network, and also the original disk.

Personally I use ImgBurn since Windows sucks at writing discs for whatever reason.

>5D
Are you telling me humans have fabricated a 5 dimensional object? Why wasn't I informed?

>He hasn't heard about how string theory claims the world is made of 10/11/26 dimensions

DVD brainlet question about BD : if the engraving is smaller, does it mean a scratch or a speck of dust has worse consequences ?

I digg your poast.

Repaste that shit nigga.

deep enough scratches will still fuck 'em up, but they're built a lot better than dvd and cd blanks, more resilient.

the only thing blu-ray writers were good for was harvesting the purple laser diodes which were good for 700mw

Attached: hqdefault (3).jpg (480x360, 12K)

i'd assume yes, but they have way better coating to protect it too

for example on PS4 games usually it's the drive that fucks up before the discs, discs getting super shitty and scratched up seems to be way less common

>35 replies to bait

Attached: 1511183904242.jpg (298x217, 27K)

>bait
Well, when you ask a question in your OP, you do expect replies. But I'm serious. I knew almost nothing about Blu-ray Discs 2 days ago.

Install gentoo.

Yes, your fucking heatsink is soldered to your CPU die.
How did you find this board?

Attached: 1461190933570.jpg (1440x1080, 97K)

ImgBurn it's still top tier and the only thing you need, unfortunately it isn't FOSS
You might be interested in dvddisaster if you want some on disk parity, it's FOSS but the project killed Windows support

Nevermind, late night posting. Just let this thread die and my shame with it.

Your system could still probably use a repaste in any case user.

I'll try, but this laptop was clearly not meant to be taken apart besides HDD and RAM. Good night.

If it's like most Acers, it may just be one bottom cover to remove and then four screws for the HSF assembly.
If you do this, be sure to unplug the internal battery before you do anything else.

note that imgburn's installer contains adware that you may miss and will be flagged by windows defender

install it via chocolatey to be safe