I have two Panasonic Toughbooks that are from the Windows 7 days. Specifically, the CF-19 model

I have two Panasonic Toughbooks that are from the Windows 7 days. Specifically, the CF-19 model.

> trustedreviews.com/reviews/panasonic-toughbook-cf-19-2012

Anyone know of any good hacks, ideas, suggestions for what I can do to pimp them out?

They seem too... rugged to just throw away or recycle. Need some ideas.

Attached: CF-19_01.jpg (500x500, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_u1WBBzJGh4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like to use mine when I go camping, but unless you're a hick like me, I don't know what you'd like to do with a toughbook.

I camp a lot. What do you store on it? I would assume you plan on not having any Wireless Internet so you probably load it down with content. eBooks, Movies, Music, etc.

I usually put apps like stellarium on there.

You could beat a hobo to death with a toughbook.

i'll take one.

i fucking love rugged hardware and i need a laptop

Fuck me! I never even considered using it as a weapon! Thanks, user.

It has an i5 and 4GB RAM? Why don't you install a minimal distro like Arch and Gentoo? [spoiler]And give it to me. I'd love one.[/spoiler]

I am running xfce on an ubuntu distro. You think that's light weight enough?

An i5 and 4gb of ram is enough to run Windows 10. You don't need to worry there.

I'm a fan of tiling window managers, but with those specs you should be fine. What do you plan to do it it? Dev, playing?

Don't plan on running Windows 10 at all. Pure shit OS.

I'm not suggesting you run Windows 10. I was trying to express to you that the laptop has more the enough chooch to run Windows 10 so you don't need to worry much about finding a particularly lightweight OS.

You could also install an SSD and you'd be set.

>he thinks the windows 7 days are over

I don't know. Was thinking about some kind of project I could make out of it. Not sure if I want to use it regularly or not. Kind of difficult choice to make. I don't want to just run a conventional laptop.

No. I just refuse to use a shit OS like Windows 10.

The main reason for wanting a lightweight OS is for battery conservation.

youtube.com/watch?v=_u1WBBzJGh4

Just keep using the distro you have installed and code away, bucko.

The battery is already so far degraded it's not going to matter. Even new-old stock batteries are going to be severely degraded by this point.

:'(

What's the full model number of your Toughbooks?

CH-19 is pretty much the ruggedised, one-generation-behind version of ThinkPads in terms of specs. The highest CPU spec they've ever had back in 2012-2013 was the i5. But the beautiful thing about the CF-19 was that it came with either a resistive touch, or digitizer screen. It also allowed for optional modules like SmartCard readers, 3G/4G network modems, fingerprint scanners, a proper serial-port GPS device &, for military specs, a black top lid.

I love the GPS idea. I looked into a few GPS devices, but it's really a pain to get it to work with Linux compared to other options. Got any suggestions?

The default Panasonic-made GPS module for CF-19 is just a drop-in module & no actual driver software is required; all you need is a GPS program that can read Hayes commands off of the module itself, as the module continually sends & receives commands when the wireless switch is on.

At the time of Production, QA testing would involve using a Windows 7 HDD with a test copy of HyperTerminal; checking the GPS involved opening HyperTerminal, connecting to the GPS device's COM port (usually COM2) & seeing if any data output appears on the terminal screen.

However, if there's Linux GPS software that works along this line, then all the power to you because the GPS device itself shouldn't require any specific driver software for it.

One thing I forgot to mention.

The GPS & 3G/4G network modems need to be enabled in the BIOS, with Panasonic's CF-19 BIOS update utility. It normally comes on a PC-DOS boot disk & involves writing a text file with a certain value, so that the updater can enable that bit in the BIOS software to unlock it.

wait, it's a laptop that can also have cellphone levels of internet? WHy isn't that more common?

Attached: delet.gif (499x272, 72K)

You can actually count the remaining "days" in days.

It is, zoomer turd.

Most business laptops offer this.

Since Panasonic directed this product for a more niche market, 3G & 4G modems were an additional option for corporate customers (like police forces, paramedics, telecom companies).

The options for modems were HSDPA, LTE & CDMA, if my memory serves correct.

And if you got those modules, you'd also have to register a SIM card with a provider like Verizon, but that also depended on the modem's technology.

Attached: 1457571013041.png (638x540, 244K)

security wise, it would be good against a local threat, but not against a govt. level threat, since they could just spot and key whoever is using the towers to connect to a vpn, right?

Of course; nothing's ever truly secure. Not even the Tor browser because anyone can make their own Tor server & log data.

But considering the actual ordinary usage of the CF-19, it's a nice feature to have.

I typically like to keep an emergency folder with what to do if X, and plant/bird guides. I mainly use it for writing my thoughts/psuedocode that I think of when walking, and some torrented movies

>Torrenting movies in the wilderness
Isn't the point of camping to avoid wireless & social faggotry?

he said torrented not torrenting