Not Rust

Solve for X, where X doesn't equal C++.

Attached: not rust.png (535x281, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ixy-languages/ixy-languages/raw/master/slides/35C3.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

C since it sucks about as much as those two.

C cannot into abstraction.

>he thinks you can't write anything and everything in C
LOL

[Z I G] language.

Does Zig have anything like Rust's borrow checker?

You certainly can.
I like languages which give me a tool other than the procedure.
I understand that a lot of Python nerds graduated to C, took a C++ course, found it too hard, and settled on C.

Well it's pretty much fast BASIC with curly braces and pointers so of course you can write anything in it. If anything grows to be big, like e.g. the Linux kernel, then it becomes an unwieldy opaque black box of spaghetti code.

procedural languages are a sin.

The Linux kernel on the whole is well written, and generally easy to follow.

OK, set the direction flag in C.

I won't wait.

I don't think you understand abstraction

Tell me a single language that claims to be portable which allows you to do that.
God damn, your example is fucking stupid.

Nim

Why do you need a borrow checker if you don't believe in the abolition of private property?

"Borrowing" is a concept that is intrinsically tied to ownership, i.e., property. Without property there would be no borrowing.

Ok, give me an elevator pitch summary of its high level architecture

Go, but only in that it is C-style syntax and is intended to be a systems language

D

>what is an ADT

They're not like Rust, because they have GC.

I wish D didn't have the GC. It's better about being able to disable it now but it probably would've gained so much more traction without it. It's a shame, since it's a pretty good language.

A variant of C that would be like C but with object-oriented programming, template metaprogramming, operator overloading and lambdas.

literally Nim
>nothing like rust
>all the benefits Rust claims to provide
best lang

Nobody wants something that stupid.

>gc in a systems language
Kill yourself with extreme prejudice.

C++ without STL.

>C but with object-oriented programming ... and lambdas
Learn Objective-C.

>supporting mac-toddlers
no thanks

Fuck that
C with CONSISTENT error handling that isn't fucking errno

see

Go, although error handling sucks

You mean Sieg.

After programming in go at work for 6 months, the error handling is unironically one of my favorite parts
The rest of the language is bloat city but the error handling is consistent and some
>if err != nil
Brainlet meme

>the error handling is unironically one of my favorite parts
Are you familiar with ADTs? If not, learn about Maybe and Either.

>implying you could elevator pitch the architecture of any 1+ MLOC solution

Maybe and Either are nice (rust ADTs are my gold standard) but they don't exist as part of Go.
if err != nil is basically a ghetto way of unwrapping a Result anyways
My dream language is C's ABI and 0 runtime combined with rust ADTs and Go syntax

Attached: 1543809334485.png (523x604, 268K)

>Elevator pitch
Well okay, take it right up to the top floor and jump off the roof you useless cunt

>C's ABI and 0 runtime combined with rust ADTs
ATS is kind of like that, but people who have used it beyond fizzbuzz say it's a bitch to program in even after you've learned it.

if u were any good u could

Should I kill Rob Pike too?

Imo manual memory management isn’t necessary on modern, non-embedded platforms

Looks too autistic for even me desu. If it was mainstream I'd give it a shot but it really looks like nobody is using this except the compiler itself and people writing fizzbuzz
I lied earlier. What I really want is those 3 things I mentioned, plus more than 1 core dev and 3 users

Attached: _.jpg (604x438, 15K)

>Imo manual memory management isn’t necessary on modern, non-embedded platforms
It is necessary for a systems language. Either you don't understand what a systems language is or what Go is.

You’re right, I wasn’t 100% on what systems applications comprised of.

You could certainly write a compiler in go, maybe even a kernel or parts of a kernel, but the overhead of gc would probably be a pain for things like device drivers.

Systems programming with GC has been used in real systems since the 1970s. Unix killed it off for a time, but they're reviving it now. As microkernels replace monolithic kernels you will see more and more components operating systems developed in a memory-safe language, GC or otherwise.
github.com/ixy-languages/ixy-languages/raw/master/slides/35C3.pdf

Attached: drivers.png (1244x699, 86K)

The best part of all these language war threads is how easily I can ignore them in three simple steps.
1. Do I want to OS? C.
2. Do I want to web? PHP.
3. Do I want to jerk off? xvideos.com

What are your typical C, PHP and jerk-off projects?

what if you want to actually enjoy programming and live a fulfilled life?
just kidding, you're too stupid for something like Haskell or Python+NumPy

Go is so easy though, they should make it go faster.
One of the greatest projects I was ever on was replacing php with go on a webstore platform. The objective performance increase was something like 900% not even counting the time saved from increasing uptime and not having the systems guys going in and bouncing php/mysql on individual boxen.

You're a sin.

> Nim bro here.

The libraries for most serious stuff are still non-existent or in an infantile state, though. Hope that all that Etherium cash will help in that regard.

C++, Rust? Hello? Did you even think about what your question means lol

You can write anything with any Turing complete language, ex html+css

>I need to write Z first to write Y and then I will be able to solve X problem

Attached: propoganda.jpg (1191x848, 433K)

Well, rust's ownership rules are really cool. However, I think it's not a feature of the language but of the compiler. I mean other languages can use this static memory management as rust and stay themselves. I believe it can even be applied to C.

>C# in my kernel
>Go in my kernel
disgusting

The rust language itself offers nothing new and is poorly implemented. So what's left besides marketing wank and the community full of shills who harass everyone.

What is this postironic JPEG meme bullshit?

>rust language itself offers nothing new
linear types