/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1470300909168.jpg (1262x1075, 234K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/a/964
opendesktop.org/
opendesktop.org/p/1012363/
opendesktop.org/p/1226130/
opendesktop.org/p/1120902/
opendesktop.org/p/1108733/
opendesktop.org/p/1195771/
opendesktop.org/p/1012513/
deviantart.com/sixsixfive/art/Hedera-icons-112213849
opendesktop.org/p/1108757/
opendesktop.org/p/1012462/
opendesktop.org/p/1108692/
opendesktop.org/p/1243493/
opendesktop.org/p/1168836/
noodlepi.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1470300945442.jpg (1017x785, 139K)

chad torvalds

>linus-being-martyred-by-the-sjw.tiff

Friendly reminder that Ubuntu is Debian+telemetry.

its debian - autism

difference between tiny and small?

>that fat ass
Oh... so It's a neckbeard syndrome or something?

Do you at least get paid by Canonical or do you really do it for free?

please stop, i don't know which one to install now.

Did that water sign consent before he entered it?
#linusrapeswater

I just started learning how to use BASH late December. Everyday I'm unpacking new mysteries and no source is without its bumpy implementation so far. What time frame did you go through before you felt like you had your mojo on and could actually feel comfortable in the TUI?

Is it possible to customise chromium's CSS like you can on Firefox? I want it to be more comfy.

what's the process for getting proper video driver's installed in debian?

I don't know if I should source it from AMD website or from a package somewhere.

This is a fresh install so i'm on whatever the default is now.

Question
I'm currently on an >intel laptop (on windows) and wont be able to change for a while, I've heard that the anti spectre/meltdown measures are incoming on the kernels and will basically fuck my performance.
I'm thinking of installing fedora, is there a way to disable those patches?

>Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendless GiNU/Lincucks Theatre
Salutations my siblings.

Does hardware 3D work right now?

Over a decade and I'm still uncomfortable with bash as a programming language.

Those patches are important security features.

>Does hardware 3D work right now?
How do I check?
I have xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu installed by default but minecraft is very slow even on low settings. It's the only game i have currently installed to test with

Could anyone preost the youtube-dl commandline formating that included playtlist folders and names and all that stuff?

man youtube-dl

Typing that command does not magically create the answer i am looking for. The person who posted it had specific formatting, which i am directly looking for, not some generic answer on the output of the man page
In the future consider being less toxic as a represenitive of the Linux Community

I'm trying to install wine so i can play osrs, but when I do 'sudo apt update' it says 'E: Malformed entry 3 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list'. what do?

>do stuff for me because I'm too lazy to read the documentation
>toxic

install gentoo

open the file with nano and delete/fix the entry

debian repos literally have a 'runescape' package for osrs

Again i am not asking for a list of the formatting optiuons, i am asking for a specific formatting that another user created.

I looked into few info about LVM.
Sounds pretty neat. I will try it on my next Arch Linux build. Thanks.

surfraw searx warosu

that's the new version of rs not osrs.

Osrs isn't supported for linux but works flawlessly using wine.

Here go to dictionary.com
Create 10 new words and there definition in addition to origin and history

Debian testing's package is for OSRS, and it's a shitty Java game that will run anywhere.

it won't let me delete/modify those files what the fuck?

unix.stackexchange.com/a/964
`glxinfo' from mesa-utils should say "direct rendering: Yes" around line 3.

use sudo?

He's a
WHITE
MALE

check the archive then if someone posted it

I have, this was a few days ago.

okay, so I completely deleted that line and re-added it multiple times now, and its still giving me the same error, I'm pulling these commands right off the winehq website too....

Behold his utter superiority.

Howdy, trying to go from windows 10 to a Gnu/Linux Distro. Disabled Secure Boot on the Asus Motherboard and managed to install Ubuntu 18.04 using "quiet splash pcie_aspm=off" in grub

got a popup about systemd-journald,then noticed kern.log and syslog had wrote about 50gigs of errors of shit

"Jan 07 17:42:42 michael-G11CD kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.6: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, id=00e6(Receiver ID)
Jan 07 17:42:42 michael-G11CD kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.6: device [8086:a116] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
lines 1-29"

rebooted with "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi,noaer"
and deleted the log files apparently it's a nouveau driver issue

looking at disabling Nouveau nvidia driver but not sure exactly how to proceed next this is usually the point where i start copy pasting sudo commands i don't understand until i turns into a dumpster fire.

any advice is appreciated

Attached: P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png.jpg (500x500, 24K)

i need a job

Attached: estella.jpg (1024x709, 103K)

Are there any good non-flat icon? opendesktop.org/ it seems every icon pack is nothing but flat icons to rice my desktop which sucks. Shit looks like fagosx.

Trying to put debian on a usb
$dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress oflag=sync
When I use this, it says that /dev/sdx is a directory. I have the usb unmounted. Any help?

You have to blacklist nouveau in the /etc/modprobe.d directory. There is a file you paste the blacklist. This will make you not able to boot into your login screen and crap so just ctrl+alt+f2 to get a tty and login then install the nvidia driver and make sure to have the kernel headers.

uname -a gives kernel headers

just make a nonsense while loop and bg it

Make sure you are using the correct /dev naming and not the example "sdx" most likely your flash drive is going to be /sdb

I am using that. It's also didn't append it, so it says /dev/sdb

sleep inf &

Use gnome-disks.

what do you think is the best music player on linux?

mount the USB maybe

>Trying to put debian on a usb
>$dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso
>archlinux.iso
what? also
>$
pretty sure dd requires root
>it says that /dev/sdx is a directory
this is strange... no idea what's going on here

unplug flash drive
check output of `lsblk`
plug in flash drive
check output of `lsblk`
make sure you are referencing the correct drive

My thoughts exactly. I've also asked here a few times and there really is very little out there.
I hope the reason is just because "flat" is easier to make.

Here are the ones I've found so far that I think are decent non-flat or only semi-flat themes:
opendesktop.org/p/1012363/
opendesktop.org/p/1226130/
opendesktop.org/p/1120902/
opendesktop.org/p/1108733/
opendesktop.org/p/1195771/
opendesktop.org/p/1012513/ (this one looks gay in the screenshots but some of the icons look different when I actually use it, and it's not bad)
deviantart.com/sixsixfive/art/Hedera-icons-112213849
opendesktop.org/p/1108757/
opendesktop.org/p/1012462/

And I fucking love this one: opendesktop.org/p/1108692/
It would probably be my favorite but the faggot never finished it and only ever released demos with most of the icons in tiny png format that you can't scale up to anything reasonable.

Honorable mentions:
opendesktop.org/p/1243493/
opendesktop.org/p/1168836/

it's usually mpd if you prefer the server approach or cmus if you're not retarded

>install debian
>boot for first time
I’m going back to ubuntu.

Attached: 0E2F7841-290F-4543-8288-49E2FCBE5E10.jpg (4032x3024, 1.89M)

pcspkr

>giving up instead of leading how it works

Attached: 1546579140133.jpg (392x309, 141K)

>awesomewm

>portfolio monitor
Trying to use wibox.container.rotate to rotate my screen. Does anyone have experience with this? If you did this without wibox it doesn't need to use wibox. I want to make a key command and/or change it on startup.
>multiple monitors
They are not in the right order and I do not know how to configure this either.

I recently changed my monitors and I just want to get back to developing.

Why isn't Ubuntu Budgie recommended over Ubuntu? The only difference is it's lighter and looks better.

because it is a different spin, in other words, just different default DE.
say what you will about gnome, but it is better supported than budgie.

Does anyone here know if it’s possible to turn off mouse focus in cwm? It’s very nearly the best window manager I’ve ever used and I would be switching to it completely if I could just figure out how to turn that one thing off.

I just installed mint on a partition for a course at school, and I want to make it a space where I can learn/play with languages like Python and hopefully some other stuff like Raspberry Pi development.

My experience so far is in C (mostly embedded stuff), C# (tiny bit) and I have some decent knowledge of navigating through the Bash shell on git bash for Windows.

What are some IDE's or tools I should get to know? I was thinking it might be fun to do something graphical plotting functions and such

Can someone explain to me what virt manager is a front end for exactly? kvm or qemu?

libvirt, which itself abstracts over kvm/qemu and friends.

install gentoo

no, but vivaldi does support that and is based on chrome (rendering engine, addons compatible)

Don't fall for the ide meme. A text editor and bash is enough. Focus on the languages, not on your environment.

Attached: dat.jpg (210x237, 14K)

i've been using the terminal for pretty much everything besides web browsing since highschool, i got back "up to speed" relatively quickly, since i didn't really know how to use a computer before that anyways.
i think even if you don't feel entirely comfortable in the TUI, if you tried to go back to a file manager and other GUI apps now you'd feel like you had lost a lot o functionality

i doubt it, but you could just sit on an LTS release and not update your kernel at all

did you compile your own kernel or make a btrfs root?

an extra link in the chain between you and the debian maintainers is a big issue to create just so you don't have to install a DE yourself

vim and emacs would be my choices if you have a bit of time/energy to spend actually learning, but if you don't, you'll probably be fine with sublime text
but vim or emacs are far and away the better choices if you're willing to learn, they are simply amazing

based

>Gave up waiting for root filesystem
Sounds very depressing

Not sure how you're defining comfortable but I've installed Arch and Gentoo multiple times and am perfectly comfortable finding command-line alternatives to graphical applications. This has been the case since I was 17.

>gir1.2

Attached: 1546930093191.png (525x599, 253K)

>months later
>literally nothing happened
Was everything just hot air?

Attached: 1546930704256.png (720x985, 160K)

>“I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.”
>-- Linus Torvalds

why is he so mean

how do I make mpd+sonata the default music player? it's not showing up in my settings, only mpv

>pussy_destroyer.png

Once you grow out of puberty you'll realize that it's wisdom, not meanness.

>install linux
>download program
>double click setup.exe
>get error popup
nice os, neckbeards

>grow out of puberty
Underage detected

>being this bluepilled
Treat others like you want you be treated.

I think you're confused.

colonel*

>Linus is a fatass
>RMS is a fatass
Fucking fat people

bump plz help. it’s impossible to find decent information about cwm

Guess you're a fatty watty too fatlardo

>install Windows
>download program
>forced to reboot
>forced to update windows
>fuck I don't want this program
>need to install a 3rd party program to uninstall it properly

I have Debian set up on one of those shitty mini PC's you can get from Amazon as a media player in my living room. I'd like to be able to use Syncthing with it to put media on it from my Desktop, but I would also like to block its connection to the actual internet so anyone who goes on it doesn't try and go on Facebook or install a Kodi add-on or something

If I set the DNS server as 0.0.0.0, would I still be able to make local connections to the device and still have the actual internet blocked?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (900x1313, 251K)

just don't set a gateway address on it

>debian on my 8 old laptop as a home server
>internal SATA connection has failed, using a hdd caddy in the old disc slot
>2 USB ports failed
>case is cracked falling apart
>screen hinges are floppy
>battery lasts 20 minutes

>still serves up anime fresh from nyaa like the day it was made

stay strong

Thoughts on the noodlepi?

noodlepi.com/

Seems like fun but I don't think it's worth the price?

Friendly reminder that KDE has been deprecated.

KDe plasma literally runs the most sophisticated science experiment on earth you fuckin gay cunt

did you make the / partition bootable in the installer?
from what i remember the way to fix this is to boot while having the netinstall usb plugged in and runnning update-grub

is screen tearing a problem for every distro or am I unlucky? ubuntu, archolinux, arch on t420s intel graphics and on my tower with nvidia all had terrible screen tearing after install.

Is there any statistics on usage of DEs? Probably no, because it implies the need of botnet. But maybe just estimated by number of downloads/updates from repos or something like that?

>ust estimated by number of downloads/updates from repos or something like that?
that'd be difficult, since the bigger distros (where you'd get the most samples), all have many mirrors, which they don't all directly control