/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: 1545977258332.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=415
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=404
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wPH7Ft
uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15
amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/autismonaut/saved/BTJ4qs
mmoga.co.uk/Software/Windows/Windows-10-Home-OEM.html?currency=GBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/m29wJ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder watercooling is a meme.

>want to try and buy parts on CL
>area CL is a wasteland of Dells and Alienware prebuilt shit all overpriced
>check NYC CL
>it's fucking worse

Some cocksucker was trying to sell a goddamn 1060 6GB for $400 the other day

Attached: LBS.jpg (1200x878, 48K)

I scored a 2080 for $500 just today. It’s really hit or miss

>1080p
>>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
Only if you plan on upgrading again in 6-12 months or if you find one brand new for around 150 bucks.
>>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match

I've had great experiences, but getting to the city is a 2 hour train ride. So trying to buy or sell anything would require me listing it in the city to even get someone maybe interested

Attached: Cult myself.jpg (500x500, 167K)

>2060
>1070Ti performance for $400+
yeah no

What? 1070Tis right now are around 400-500 bucks if you're lucky. The 2060, if the reviews are to be believed, beats the Ti and is pretty much on par with a vega64 for 350.

I got a 1070Ti 2 months ago for $350 with free mhw that I sold for $20. 2060 is gonna retail at $400 which is terrible

How can I cable manage better?

Attached: IMG_8933.jpg (3949x3837, 2.12M)

>I got a 1070Ti 2 months ago for $350
So you got lucky, this is what the Ti retails for right now pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=415
>2060 is gonna retail at $400 which is terrible
That would be suicide. But even if, a 400 dollar card that gets close to 500 dollar cards in performance is still an ok deal.

Front looks good except for the front audio connector.

Attached: IMG_8935.jpg (4530x3849, 2.9M)

Front Audio connections always fucking blow for management.

Unless you get a case that has a stupidly long one

I got an RTX2070 on sale for USD$440. Did I fuck up?

Does anyone here have experience with used HDDs? I fucked up. I wasnt paying attention and bought a 4tb WD Black on amazon, but didn't realize it was, "used very good"

Attached: 1521052955591.gif (400x225, 1000K)

Sure just don’t open it and return it if it weirds you out. Can just leave on your doorstep and have it picked up. Amazon is on your side

Sandybros, I need your wisdom. I'm rebuilding my old 2600k into a gayman PC for my friend, and I'm wondering what upgrade paths are available if he wants to go further. It used to be stable at 4.6Ghz but I started to get bsods during heavy gaming loads before I built a new PC, so I will definitely downclock it to stock for the time being. It also has 8Gb of ram now, would 4x4Gb be a reasonable upgrade as well, or should we look at replacing what's there with 2x8Gb?

Attached: intro.jpg (600x437, 85K)

I'm trying to use an MSI AM4 ITX MOBO with a RTX 2070.
When the GPU is plugged in, the HD audio and other pins in the bottom left corner can't reach due to the L-shaped pin on the side closest to the rear, blocking the Mobo cables.

Any way to make this work, or should I just give up and route all that shit from the top instead?

Get a 2700k, 2x8GB is better.

Any decent monitors from CES?
Looking for a +144Hz 27" 1440p IPS preferably with G-Sync

Sweet, I'll probably do that. I'd much rather be safe

If it's a decent manufacturer with good warranty, then it's not terrible. Unless you want to get a used 1080 off eBay, which is only worth it for manufacturers that honor swapping warranties.

I got the EVGA lower binned one for about $425. But now, I'm in this
situation.

Looking for a low-end casual gaming computer, should I go for a Ryzen 5 2400G (APU) build or go for a worse processor but with dedicated GPU?

Should I push the power limit more? When I had it at 30 it was unstable.

Attached: Capture.png (935x672, 364K)

Vega 56 is $340 right now and its withing margin of error differences with the 2060 on most reviews I've seen. Has the 2060 been $300, it would have been the mid-range king. As it stands, Vega 56 is giving it a run for its money. AMD is going to release 7nm Vega which will improve performance and power consumption. If they price a Vega 56 equivalent in the $350 range, the 2060 is dead in the water. Let's hope AMD doesn't fuck this up and places the updated Vega models on the same price point as RTX.

Did I buy a defective case?
I'm trying to screw in my motherboard standoffs for my MC500m and I have to use a lot of force, which feels completely wrong. The holes that are drilled into the case look like they're unthreaded. The two standoffs that are already in the case are screwed in all the way, but I have to force the other standoffs really hard to get them that deep in so that they'll all be at the same height. Some of the standoff holes are even worse than the others and I'm not sure what the front hole in my image is for. It looks like it was drilled in accidentally.

If my case is fucked then I want a refund because this is absolutely unacceptable for a $150 case. Fucking christ

Attached: 20190108_104935.jpg (4032x1960, 2.37M)

I recently ordered a rtx 2070 to upgrade my amd 7970. Currently using an intel i5 3570k cpu, should i upgrade that as well or should it still be fine?

>Vega 56 is $340 right now and its withing margin of error differences with the 2060 on most reviews I've seen.
No, 2060 is right behind a vega64 and beats a 1070Ti, barely but still. If the card retails for more than 350 it's a tough sell but right at 350 it's easy to recommend. The only real downside is the 6gb considering that many titles at 1080p are already getting very close to 6gb or even above. For the moment that isn't an issue but it's going to look bad in 2020 or 2021.

>Vega 56 is $340 right now
>powercolor at 333
>the order SKUs are between 400 and 450
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=404

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wPH7Ft
upgrading my cpu, mobo and ram. All of the other parts I already have.
Is this ok?

The 9700k is 30 bucks more. Rest looks good, gonna need a z390 tho but as long as you don't buy a super cheap no-name one you should be fine. Just wait another week or so, just to make sure CES doesn't fuck you.

if the back door closes, then it's ok

Well a 9700k be alright in a mini itx case like the Dan a4? Or will or be too hard to keep cool?

I'm looking to get a cheap pcie m2 drive and found some by inland professionals. Is this a decent enough company or is it cheap because it's shit? And if not them are there any other cheap m2 drives I can get for cheap, I'm aiming for 128 gb.

how do you rate the Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X?

It's fine, any non-m-atx board around 120-130 is decent. You're only going to run into trouble if you're buying ultra cheap shit(sub-100).

Also get this ram kit. uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15 8gb modules have come down in price quite a lot and there is no advantage to running 4 dimms. 3400mhz would be a nice boost but it's also around 30% more expensive.

How low end? New shit like fortnite, or older games?
Pretty sure that the 2400G would be fine for all older games, but you'll need at least a 1050ti to play some more current games or more demanding ones.

Thanks for suggesting the RAM but my friend has gave me 2x4 3000 sticks so I only need to buy a 2x4 set

What options do I have if I want a 2080 but don’t want it sagging. Apparently it comes with a bracket that is good, but what about vertical mounting? Is that worthwhile to look into? What about horizontal cases? Any good ones with good airflow? My pc is gonna be under the desk anyway so looks don’t bother me.

This card is 1.5kg she’s a heavy girl.

It will probably be almost the same price to replace an older chipset to a Ryzen, new Mobo, and DDR4. Even more to a newer Intel equivalent.

Your CPU is probably okay unless you're looking to push 1440p, or have the spare change. You could also wait for Zen2 unless you're an intelfag.

>a 2080 ti costs 3x as much as my 780 ti
When did it get so bad Jow Forumsros?

Do you guys recommend a reformat after a complete motherboard and CPU swap? Upgraded from a z170/6600k to z390/9600k

amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

i run 1440 monitors and also will have a 4k tv plugged in. Are the amd cpus the ones to get these days?

yes, if replacing a CPU and mobo, always a clean install if possible

I went from a 3570k to a 8700k and everything just worked.
Had to activate windows again though.

When nvidia realized that a 10% performance improvement could sell for a 50% price improvement each generation and greengoys will just buy that shit up anyway

They're the best price/performance, but higher end Intel always eeks out the best gaming preformance, especially with the *700k series.
If you've got cash to burn, upgrade to a (perhaps used) Intel set.
If not, wait for AMD's Ryzen 2 to see how it shakes things up.

Both will require a new MOBO and DDR4 ram, though.

I mean what are you supposed to do in a monopoly? Not play games because the only company that provides good GPUs are the k-word? I'm really fucking hoping Navi is able to compete with Nvidia. If the 2000-series is this overpriced, imagine what the next generation will cost without any competition.

>If not, wait for AMD's Ryzen 2 to see how it shakes things up.
any idea when this will be? New GPU gets here in a couple days so ill just see how things are after that and feel out if i need to upgrade.

Games like Skyrim, Fallout 4, football manager, maybe even fortnite.
Could I just get a dedicated GPU later in when I've got more money?

They're saying 2019, so I'd guess probably an announcement within 2-3 months, and a release by late summer, which was around the time the first Ryzen set came out if I recall.

You'd probably want a dedicated GPU to play those unless you're fine with lower setting on more big name games like Fallout. I've heard it handles stuff like Fortshite fine, but obviously an igpu can't perform as well when it's split between the more processing power needed.

Hey guys I'm tired of waiting for my i5 mouldy bridge chinkpad to run unit tests so I'm looking to build a desktop, I only need mb/ram/cpu, I already have ssd/case/etc.
Since the languages I use for work are mainly single-threaded shitty web languages I'm looking for something with good single thread performance. I usually use in-memory databases or put the database in ramfs for testing so fast RAM will also be nice to have.
Don't care for AMD or Intel, just want fast single threaded+RAM performance.

Attached: _.png (564x83, 6K)

Hello guys, is this a good laptop to play LOL at max settings? How many FPS would it be?

MSI GE72-6QD161 43,9 cm (17,3 Zoll) Laptop (Intel Core i7 -6700HQ (Skylake), 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M, Win 10 Home)

The ones that came with the case should fit, thin sheet alu can be crap, I have used loctite and nuts on the back side to save some striped cases.

Is it possible to buy computer components that are not marketed towards gamers? I don't want to pay extra for RAM just because of its look. I just need good 3200 MHz RAM.

Yeah and we know exactly how that happened. AMD left Nvidia to basically scoop up the whole high end gpu market. Want a card that can do 1440p/144hz or 2160p/60hz+? The Titan can do that. It'll cost you a kidney but it will be worth it. Every streamer, every influencer, every hardware "personality" has been running Nvidia ever since the Radeon 5000 series and they kept telling their audience about how great the cards are and how super expensive, but, hey, if you want to game "only" at 1080p and you're fine with turning down some settings to medium you can get some real nice budge-, *ahem* i mean better priced cards from AMD, I GUESS?! That audience grew up and are now buying 500-600 dollar x70 cards because, WHAT ARE YOU, POOR?! What AMD needs to do tomorrow is present a Navi lineup(at least 2 cards) that both beat the 2070 by at least 5% and has a price tag of right around $450. Or a GPU that outright kills the 2080Ti by about 5% and a price tag of $750. Competing with the Titan is pointless about that $2500 price since not even the most dedicated audience is buying that card.

Unfortunately not, even if it’s not targeted at gamers you’re still paying a premium now that everything from phones to tablets and etc want to gobble up fast ram.

I'm not sure that wouldn't have happened to any lesser degree if AMD was as competitive as Radeon used to be. I remember back when I built my PC the HD 6950/70 were high tier cards, yet one of my novidya friends still swore that the green guys were the best and refused to even consider the competition, and I think at that time the HD cards were actually better than Geforce.

Are there any places to look out for other non-gamer components? At the moment I'm only using pcpartpicker because of simplicity but it seems like it's a gamer-website.

Most AIOs can only do 1L/min but high-end pumps in custom loops can reach 20L/min. Huge difference.

Are you specifically avoiding gamer-gear because of the aesthetics or just because of the bloated price?

I currently have an
Intel i7 3770
8gb ram
basic motherboard
gtx 1050

I want to upgrade to a new GPU but I dont want to spend a small fortune because the rest of my PC is pretty shit, should I get a RTX 2060? Near 1070ti performance and a 1070ti in the UK is atleast £420 and I can get a RTX 2060 for £340. I will not be upgrading for a few years after this until I have the funds to get a whole new system. Thanks

>I'm not sure that wouldn't have happened to any lesser degree if AMD was as competitive as Radeon used to be.
You really think that Nvidia would be sitting at an 85% market share if AMD still had cards that actually come close(single digit percent) to their competitors flag ship cards at a much lower price point while releasing drivers that didn't have "usual AMD issues"(flickering shadows and textures, micro stutter, slow loading textures the list goes on)? They still would have a tough PR battle to fight and Nvidias partners program(bribing devs) is also a tough nut to crack but when it comes to naked benchmarks AMD would be looking really fucking good. At least the public perception wouldn't be pic related.

Attached: 899737.png (970x377, 256K)

Bump

Get a used 1070, that should last you at least a year and by then you should need a new rig because you will really feel that CPUs age.

just because of the price

Well then you’re gonna need to put the time in and do your groundwork. Doing weekly check ins at the major retailers to check prices. You can definitely find steals and deals, but your payout will be tied to how much effort you put it.

My suggestion is to make a list of parts you need/want, and spend an hour on your weekend price checking across the board.

i5 4670k still worth using?

No what I mean is that I don't think we would be seeing much more competitive pricing from nvidia, because even when their competitor matched them, retards still sang the praises of nvidia and refused to even consider the competition.

Also these days Radeon drivers are more reliable that Nvidia drivers and updated more often, almost too often imo

fuck ya

I have the non-K version and still holds up strong in almost any game I play

I really don't want to get a used GPU, I am saving like £60 for something with no warranty and could die in 5 months. Can I not just get a RTX 2060 then upgrade CPU if needed later?

team dark pro ram is the only non gaymer component I found for my recent build

Attached: TeamGroup-Dark-Pro-2.jpg (750x450, 31K)

Of course you can, it’s your money user. And yea security is worth £60 imo

My point is that the publics perception, AMDs reputation in general, wouldn't be the one of the budget card manufacturer since they could very easily be on par with Nvidias flagships so the argument would flip from "what are you, poor?" to "hmm, those cards are neck-and-neck but this one is 250 dollar cheaper." which would easily set the split to a 70-30 if not 60-40 instead of this ridiculous 85-15 we got now.

I really hate that I have to spend like £500 if I want to future proof my PC, especially with the new consoles expected next year. I am considering just keeping my current 1050 and just use the PC for general PC games like total war Gmod etc, but I really want to try VR

I keep seeing that many processors only support up to X ram speed, for example the 8600k says up to 2666Mhz, is that true? Can I somehow ram working at 3200Mhz with that processor?
Same goes for several ayymd processors.

>How can I cable manage better?
Zipties.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/autismonaut/saved/BTJ4qs
How do you lads rate this with an ITX 2060?

VR is the only reason I’m upgrading. I paid out some long service to fund my next build and I’m watching eBay for a VR steal. Technically my current build is strong enough for VR but I wanna play Blade & Sorcery smooth af só want a bigger rig

Good point, guess we find out tomorrow if that will be the case. I get the feeling that even if AMD comes out with affordable 1080 tier performance novidya retards will still keep shilling rtx for freel

I would assume a RTX 2060 would be decent future proofing for VR?

why would you net get a SFX PSU with an adapter bracket instead of that hueg ATX one?
Also keep in mind that if the 170mm maximum GPU length are true you could get in trouble wiht anything bigger than a 2050ti. No need to spent full price on windows btw.

I mean my current 1060 plays it fine so I can only imagine so. I went all out and got a 2080 so I can have a nice pc for the next 4 odd years

FUCK RGB REEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1a605d7a-7ab3-4929-a01d-50148a8c5339.png (582x601, 219K)

Why is nobody discussing this?
>so, some adaptive sync monitors are getting G-sync support
>nvidia said tested 400 monitors and a dozen of then were awarded the G-sync spec
>and this means that they will get g-force adaptive sync support via a driver
>after the keynote, nvidia also announced through their website that adaptive sync monitors that are yet to be validated as G-sync compatible, might still work
>a new Nvidia control panel option that will be available in the new driver will alow owners to try and switch the tech on
>they say it may work , it may partially work, or it might not work at all
- Steve from Hardware Unboxed , January 2019

Attached: gsync-logo.jpg (2387x900, 115K)

these were discussed heavily yesterday

mmoga.co.uk/Software/Windows/Windows-10-Home-OEM.html?currency=GBP

Damn I feel like saving for another month or two and get enough for a RTX 2080 but a 2080 in my PC would be like putting gold wheels on a rust bucket, so I would need to upgrade CPU, then Motherboard etc

pcpartpicker.com/list/m29wJ8

Thoughts? Think i'm about good with everything, the mobo is the only thing I'm questioning, i'm wondering if the thing on the top left of it is going to block the giant behemoth of a CPU fan, had to make sure the RAM was low profile for the same reason. Think I got the right RAM numbers too.
Also not sure if I wanna try and build for aesthetics with a white case, but I know i'll fuck it up the second I take it out of the box.

Oh also do I need to buy any kind of mount stuff for my SSD or does the case/drive itself come with that?

Welcome to the future, where everything is gay.

The focus is a small power supply, so I didn't think it would matter, and I'm very much aware of the 170mm limit but by the looks of it the gigabyte 2060 is going to be just that long.
Thanks for the tip I feel like a right mug for buying a 70 quid copy last time.

Yea I don’t even think the 2080 would fit in my current rig, and even if it did it’d be like pic related.
Even so I’m so it’s already looked after. Just waiting on CES to put together the new build

got a mid-ish range build (Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB RAM DDR4, GTX 1060 6GB), need a monitor to match, mostly for gaming

any archive links?
I'm really interested in what both AyyMd fans and Novideo fanboys had to say, but I'm too lazy to look for it in the archive. Was it in the last thread?

i'm not sure if it's in the archives but it had its own thread.

I built my computer 14 years ago and have been upgrading parts of it here and there ever since. Here's what I have now in it

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2666.67mhz
memory: DDR2 2GBx4 sticks
storage: 128gb ssd, 3tb hard drive x2, 1.5tb hard drive
video card: Radeon RX 580
wireless network: TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Adapter

What's the weakest part of my setup that I should replace?

I wanna passively cool my R5 2600, what cooler can do that?