Unpopular opinion: Don't install Gentoo

It's a Jow Forums meme. Don't get me wrong, Gentoo is great but too impractical for daily use. Trust me, you'll regret it. What takes 1 minute to install on a normal OS takes 1 hour to emerge on Gentoo. Gentoo's superior compile times because it's tailored for your setup are a meme as well. Gentoo doesn't compile faster than other distros, it's actually slower depending on the package and when it's faster the difference is barely noticeable (we're talking about seconds).

I know there are a lot of unexperienced lurkers on this board that would like to try it out because >muh cool but it's an impractical distro for 99% of you. The other 1% is composed of Linux hobbyists with a lot of freetime and shitposters that have it installed on external drive or dual boot with an actual OS and only boot it to take screenshoots.

If you want to try out Linux go for one of the most supported distros (e.g. Ubuntu) and ignore the freetards. Linux is already limited enough, you don't want to complicate your life further and waste hours of your time to achieve the most basic stuff.

Attached: gentoo-g.png (180x180, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

don't listen to this faggot OP over here
install gentoo right now

install gentoo

install gentoo

DO install gentoo

windows 10 might be more your speed

Attached: 31547882.jpg (350x351, 15K)

checked

install gentoo

DO IT FAGGOT

> emerge on Gentoo.
What's that? Apt-get install gentoo works for me.

install gentoo

I'd be inclined to agree with OP if it wasn't for this one simple statistic:

Everyone who doesn't install gentoo dies.

>666
Y u do dis

Attached: 1494279788389.jpg (320x306, 21K)

Gentoo is a meme? Well yeah whole Linux is a meme.. it is nothing more than a compiler. Gentoo is just whole another level of stupidity...

Don't listen to satan

God uses gentoo

You aren't fooling anyone, Satan.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: stallman laptop.jpg (2348x1736, 907K)

I've used Gentoo for work for about two years now. Today I'm moving on.

Gentoo is amazing, but it's true that it is impractical for daily use. Gentoo could also have been done better. You can set up a build server which saves binaries for you and all, but it's a major hassle for most users.

Some times you just need to install something quickly. You do not want to compile chromium. Ever.

Dear god.

I never understand people who make a big stink about this.

Some people call Windows "PC" even though all personal computers are PC, regardless of whether or not they run Windows, but people know what you mean when you say it.

When you say Linux, people know what you mean.

Why include GNU in the title, but not include the Window manager or the desktop, or the distro? Why not say Debian/KDE/GNU/Linux? What is the distinction for what software in the stack to call out in the name? Don't people put just as much work into writing the full KDE desktop stack as the GNU portions? Or maintaining all the packages for the entire Debian repository?

We also can't assume that everyone running Linux actually runs GNU. The big hitters from the GNU project are glibc/gcc/binutils/gdb. These all have alternatives that some people run. GNU also aimed to be a full OS, but never really produced a proper Herd kernel.

The Linux kernel is approaching 25 million lines of code. It is a fucking huge project. Aside from gcc, most the GNU tools aren't in the same scope. Now gcc is massive (15 million lines of code) but we're basically arguing the compiler is on the same level as the kernel itself, and I don't frankly feel that is true or accurate.

It is Richard Stallman personally who started the crusade that we need to always call it GNU/Linux because he wanted more personal credit and acclaim. This is the same Stallman who routinely makes sexist comments, attacks Mozilla, attacks Google, attacks IBM, etc. He is constantly tanking the perception of open source software as much as he contributed to it. Stallman promotes an ideal of open source software and wrote a little code way back in the day.

Linux got named after Linus at the insistence of others (not his own personal ego) because he wrote the entire thing himself initially, and he has worked on it full time for decades to maintain it.

God uses TempleOS

Attached: TempleOS_logo.png (650x490, 20K)

Install MacOSX

based

Attached: 1536116968128.png (450x399, 223K)

yes gentoo is a meme, but ubuntu is a meme too
use debian, or if you are a neet use arch

Once you go slack....

why would you use slack

To never go back

boomer

i use gentoo 5 years and compile it everyday

Oh no, im offended now.
Bye bye

Not unpopular you're just dumb for taking Jow Forums memes seriously

never relax

>1 hour to emerge on Gentoo
oh... a corelet!

Attached: __toyosatomimi_no_miko_touhou_drawn_by_momo_baso4__8b8770443028d6426dbb2a77693a20e0.jpg (1440x900, 312K)

Slackware is not arch.

this

I have an i7 dumdumbs

from 2008?

Nice try... SATAN.

Attached: could-it-be-satan.jpg (400x400, 75K)

i7-6700. Evidently you have never tried Gentoo.

The only thing I've had take more than 5 minutes on my i7-8750H was chromium. That took around 10 hours. Everything else takes right around the same time as any other distro, or so slightly longer that it doesn't matter. The stability of every package being built specifically for my exact system, with only the features I want is worth the extra time.

>quad core
corelet

oh... so:
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
in your /etc/portage/make.conf

Attached: crown_prince.png (450x425, 275K)

Yeah... Had a feeling he'd end up being a corelet using a 2015 cpu.

>chromium took around 10 hours
pic related

I had configured everything to the best. I have OCD when it comes to settings. And I've used Gentoo for 4 months. It's simply a meme, not worth it for daily use.

Attached: 312.jpg (561x265, 43K)

Have you tried installing gentoo?

Use jumb-build if you have enough RAM. Decreases merge time to 1 hour from 5 on my 7700.

You should install MacOS and a broomstick up your ass, and get an iFag

And you're nothing more than a niggerfaggot

It's only impractical if you wanna "stay up to date"... Which is why ricing is easily associated with it

Checked, but no fucking shit. Always do the opposite of what Jow Forums says. That's why I fuck girls (female) and use Windows to make money at my real job doing actually useful things.

Attached: deal_with_it_spider.gif (400x212, 1.99M)

No shit? I've got 32GB of 2666MHz DDR4. Got talked into a gaming laptop while I was in a best buy to try some of the laptops hands-on after I sold my '14 mba and needed a new laptop. Between the $150 gift card I had from xmas, the laptop being on sale, and the cash in my pocket, I only had to pay sales tax (6%) for i7-8750H, 32GB DDR4, 6GB 1060, 1TB ssd, 1TB hdd, and 144Hz 1080p IPS. Funny thing is, I don't play vidya so the first thing I did was torch w10 and install Gentoo, not I've never tried jumb-build.

> I never understand people who make a big stink about this.
I never understand people who keep repeating on the stupid little mistakes that keep the world being shit
> When you say Linux, people know what you mean.
It's always a misunderstanding
> Why include GNU in the title, (...)
gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.en.html
> We also can't assume that everyone running Linux actually runs GNU.
See link above
> The Linux kernel is approaching 25 million lines of code.
24 million lines of fuckery that could be cut off for the sake of staying slick and reliable, Linus couldn't audit all the idiotic lines but pretty sure he'd cut it off as well if he did
> It is Richard Stallman personally who started the crusade (...)
He'll attack everything nonfree, for obvious reasons.
> Linux got named after Linus at the insistence of others (not his own personal ego) (...)
Keep believing that, "Open Source" nigger

damn i never thought of it like that before

>thinking Gentoo is about Source compilation

hello newfag

fyi the reason Gentoo is used by eg Google is that it is the only distro on the plAnet that makes everything work as expected if setup properly. Also emerge is the safest packAge manager from all. Also i havent had a Single package that took longer than 20 minutes to compile and you can just let compile in background so where is the prob

based
underrated

Just eat food prepared outside of your home every time

Made a typo, it's jumbo-build. Yeah it's surprisingly good. It concatenates 100 or so source files together, which results in up to 20x faster compilation just because there's less compiler startup overhead.

Alpine Linux does not use GNU.

If it's absolutely certain, then it doesn't need GNU on it, so the title fits.

Yes OP is right.
Install Linux from Scratch + own package manager.

Or Portage to it, or SourceMage instead

whether you enjoy gentoo is reliant on whether you are interested in operating systems. it's pretty simple really.

>Gentoo is great but too impractical for daily use.
For me, it has been fine for almost 15 years now.

> What takes 1 minute to install on a normal OS takes 1 hour to emerge on Gentoo.
ALL my 1339 packages together took 14:40 to extract, compile and install [maybe downloading the sauce packages is also included, not 100% sure].

Without the outliers that took over 30 minutes, it's 10:12.
So, the average package extracts, compiles and installs in a little over a minute, on a Ryzen 2400G, with Ofast for the compiler (one of the most taxing quasi-standard compiler settings) and PORTAGE_NICENESS="15" (meaning anything else running on the machine was generally taking precedence over the compiles).
Not even using ccache or distcc or icecream or anything, it's just standard clang and gcc.

You can be purely interested in the user space "the software you want to run" and like Gentoo.

Most of what Gentoo deals with is giving a hand with managing that software in more detail.

I don't doubt that could be the case but in general someone like that will prefer arch or w/e

uninstall 2 packages, dammit

>Also i havent had a Single package that took longer than 20 minutes to compile
let me tell you about qtwebengine, libreoffice,

I was about to list llvm/clang, rust and webkit but in the process I found that they have vastly improved their compile times over what they used to be

Op here, forget everything I said. I changed my mind and I'm in fact switching to gentoo again once I have some free time. Thank you, guys!

It's certainly not always the best imaginable solution.

But if you have an even relatively slight motivation why it would be efficient to use Gentoo [you want to use that one package in an old version and not slide into dependency hell, you want that patch applied, you want some server daemon regularly updated into your system if it compiles, ...], it might very easily be a good solution.

It's not only if you have an "interest in OS", it's just making certain things pretty easy and the "expense" of the extra hardware required to handle the compiles isn't all that big.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) - 02 [720p][Multiple Subtitle].mkv_snapshot_03.59_[2019.01 (1280x720, 64K)

Why would you compile bloatware? You can install binaries too. OP is a retard as usual

Gentoo is easy to install, even I could do it

Attached: Screenshot_20181107_030820.png (1920x1080, 1.1M)

OPs right.
If you want an advanced distro, just use Arch. It's unironically faster than some of the beginner distros (eg Debian, Manjaro, Mint etc), and it doesn't take forever to stay up to date.

Even a 17 year old machine can run it if you don't go full retard

Attached: 2018-12-25-003637_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 1.02M)

ew systemd

I use Gentoo and think it's great but this is an optimistic view of the average Jow Forums user, or even the average Linux user. You have a lot of control over your OS and access to obscure packages but portage asks the user a lot of questions about how they want their system to be and _most_ linux users don't want that level of control.

Arch is cancer.

Attached: arch is not minimalist.png (1169x3679, 513K)

10 year old netbook here

debian is a meme, it's just a heavily customizable (_)ubuntu with less support

I use debian every day at work. It's stable as a rock as long as you aren't a dipshit enabling all the testing repos.

>Discord
>Chrome
>SystemD
Kill yourself, kevin

>ubuntu is just debian testing with customization
Amazing discovery!

lol too long didn't read
If you have an actual point to make instead of a cope/diss, feel free to share a summary

>calling manjaro a beginner distro
Okay you got me

that shit comes sellotaped to the front of noob linux magazines dude

i didnt install gentoo ever and i never di-

so because some noobs use it, it's a bad distro? Come on dude, can't this be said about *any* popular distro? If something is well documented, noobs find a way.

Arch also has a bunch of power/advanced users.

Arch doesn't give a shit about the opinions of users if they aren't developers, unlike other distros like debian
Arch doesn't split packages which means loads of unnecessary bloat
Arch uses a kernel that has everything enabled, even more than debian/ubuntu. The opposite of minimalism.
Arch is only really minimalist about the developers doing the absolutely minimal work necessary to get packages running.
Arch has less official packages than other distros.
Arch is the opposite of user freedom, only the default configuration is supported and lots of things break if you e.g. don't want systemd.
"The Arch Way" is a meme by the community.
The Arch installation isn't unique and you could install any other distro like that if you wanted to
Arch doesn't have much package testing and doesn't support downgrading to old versions, so if something breaks you have to wait for the fix

>and doesn't support downgrading to old versions
everything except this is right, you can downgrade packages just fine and it's often recommended when something breaks.

LITERALLY EVERYONE KNOWS THIS ALREADY
also install gentoo

>unlike other distros like debian

Yea Debian sure is great for getting rid of a package because it had the word "boob" in it.

Hadn't thought of that. But it would feel a bit forced.

> portage asks the user a lot of questions about how they want their system to be
I think it averages about 2-3 USE flag or blockers a month for me, and I think I have more packages than most people will likely have.

Apart from that, --autounmask-write will eliminate >90% of these [and accepting that behaviour is virtually emulating leaving the same type of decision to the maintainers on a binary distro].

But yes, if you need none of Gentoo's capabilities (even the very thing you just mentioned: Getting the choice between actually mutually exclusive features or program versions), of course it's just something extra you might not want to deal with.

Attached: fec9d6c75d3e2de60c4aee6310ada5062e99dd19fa4ad8eadf2a86ee19c9dea3.png (1280x738, 922K)

based and satanpilled

FUD: the post

>Arch uses a kernel that has everything enabled, even more than debian/ubuntu. The opposite of minimalism.
Bad argument. Real Arch power users build their own kernel.
>Arch doesn't give a shit about the opinions of users if they aren't developers, unlike other distros like debian
So?
>Arch doesn't split packages which means loads of unnecessary bloat
False
>Arch has less official packages than other distros.
What is the AUR?
>The Arch installation isn't unique and you could install any other distro like that if you wanted to
This is a ridiculous
>Arch doesn't have much package testing and doesn't support downgrading to old versions, so if something breaks you have to wait for the fix
False. You can downgrade to previous versions.

Thanks for confirming most Arch critics are just coping.

>Real Arch power users build their own kernel.
literally nobody does that and it's not supported
>So?
no "so", it's just an objective fact
>False
true, Arch *doesn't* split packages
>What is the AUR?
unofficial packages
>This is a ridiculous
not really
>False. You can downgrade to previous versions.
tru

it never needs gnu on it

>thinks nobody builds in their own kernel in arch
Yikes. It's hard to take you seriously when you don't know basic stuff about the distro.

You realize that this:
was written by one of the Arch devs, right?

>Arch doesn't split packages which means loads of unnecessary bloat
>False
lel

>What is the AUR?
Something worse than third party repos of *buntu or gentoo overlays. Enjoy having to read those scripts by completely random people because you can't trust them not to contain malicious shit. And having to compile just like you would on gentoo anyways, but without any of the benefits of portage

>The Arch installation isn't unique and you could install any other distro like that if you wanted to
>This is a ridiculous
What is debstrap?

i want a distro that runs on ppc, arm, mips, alpha, sparc, m68k, and superh, that also has a package manager that compiles everything

But Windows is trash.
You should never do something just because Jow Forums says to do it, because Jow Forums doesn't know shit and is full of bad opinions that come from people echoing bad opinions that came from echoing bad opinions that once upon a time came from echoing good opinions. But "use linux" is one of the few genuine OG good opinions.

you being an absolute autist about building your own kernel doesn't mean everyone else has the same autism.