VANTABLACK

Can we talk about vantablack, what are some uses for this?

youtube.com/watch?v=9v0_fID_jvA

Attached: face-vanta-1024x762.png (1024x762, 610K)

There are no uses for it. Only 1 person is allowed to use it

Infiltrating gangs

In person and without retouched photography it isn't that impressive.

>There are no uses for it. Only 1 person is allowed to use it
it's carbon nanotubes, there will be clones everywhere in a matter of weeks

making metal things black.
The carbon nanotubes have to be grown on a metal substrate, you can't exactly paint it on.

It hasn't been a case for years now

you've seen it user?

window curtains

I've wanted to buy a bit to paint my Thinkpad lid but I don't know if the surface finish is nice to the touch or now. I could coat it with something, I read there's matte clearcoats out there made for automobile paint, but I'm not sure I want to invest that much money into a dumb project.

Camouflage

>what are some uses for this?

Attached: 1.jpg (600x418, 54K)

nice

Who is shilling Vantablack all of a sudden? There's been several identical threads across multiple boards all year.

What did Dracula say to the pet shop owner? "I vantablack cat."

If you painted a can with that, and filled it with water in the hot Sun, it might boil. This creates steam, that can be used to generate electricity. Solar water heaters also.

seeing it imply light bounces off of it and hits you eye. nobody can see real black

You'd want it black in as many spectrums as possible. And we still only get thermal energy. Worst kind.
Solar seems wiser.

I saw a demo of a product competing against this. When illuminated by a a decent spotlight it appeared great, it lost its disappearing effect. That was supposed to be something like 99.5% as effective as Vanta.
Its not that great in person, but would make for a great photo box to isolate and illuminate a single subject with the right exposure.

It appeared grey*
As in it was no longer black.

Nice guess, but no.
Pic related illustrates what that would look like through night vision.

Attached: camouflage.png (852x480, 218K)

I want my car in vantablack

I too want to drive a floating cloud of dirt in the rough shape of a car.

You could still detect the object via IR radiation through something like a FLIR camera, I've tested this myself.

You need to bake Vantablack on in a 700 degree oven and then never touch it ever again because it's super fragile.

You'd be better off figuring out how to turn Stuart Semple's Black 2.0 into an automotive paint.

I hope you realize you'd turn your car into an oven hot enough to fry all it's electronics.

>I hope you realize you'd turn your car into an oven hot enough to fry all it's electronics.
yeah it's not like you could remove the body panels and paint them, you would have to put the whole car in an oven

idiot

Thinking it would be cool to make an increase vendetta mask with this paint

I want a t-shirt with this

Blackfacing

it's turbotoxic, right? i read once that inhaling it was not a good idea

Carbon nanotubes effect the same response in the body as asbestos and other similar materials.

car paints

Hasn’t vantablack been a thing for most of a decade? It’s patented.

>I want my car to look the niggest
why

neck yourself

you'd get third degree burns you idiot

>Can we talk about
please die

Yeah I know but would be nice for this

Flog your wares elsewares!

Attached: 1493665711745.gif (450x450, 776K)

>it's carbon nanotubes,
the video explicitly says this version is not using carbon nanotubes.

It allows CIA niggers to hide their glow in the dark.

why?

vantablack is a light absorbing material, it's literally a mesh of carbon tubes that trap light in, therefore also trapping heat

you wouldn't want to walk out in the sunlight with that thing, it's also an awful ideal to paint cars with it

>it's literally a mesh of carbon tubes
see

inb4 black people jokes

containing SCPs

>The name is a compound of the acronym (VANTAs) vertically aligned carbon nanotube arrays and the shade black

Ashit Kapoor needs to be sprayed with Vantablack and tossed into a desert. Also Black 2.0 is pretty disappointing.

Attached: 812KUApP1mL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 236K)

then explain what he says in the video. he says this thing is different from the nanotube version

>Americans will use this to make BLACKED2.0

One one the advantages of Vantablack is for use in telescopes and camera lenses.
The artists has been pretty open about letting Nasa and Canon use his product.

>his product
A licensed product he didn’t develop, but simply purchased.

>calling Kapoor "artist"

a fucking hack is what he is

Attached: AD00005_0.jpg (2590x1890, 197K)

Just like everything you own

No. They would still radiate IR. Literally look up black body radiation

it's very probably highly carcinogenic.
you wouldn't want to paint anything that you want to breathe around.

it would be a t-shirt for the night

medium kek

would be pretty good for satellites no ?
or anything where you would need heat like extreme weather clothes

Satellites need to radiate heat away from them to prevent overheating, they need to be reflective

or right forgot about that
maybe for a solar/thermic powerplant but i guess solar panel or solar oven are more efficient

i guess heating panels? we have a heating black panel that wamrs our water and

It's purpose is basically fucking up optics. So laser guidance systems are basically defeated. How it would work against a high powered laser I don't know, probably burn up easily.

The only other application would be solar radiation thermal absorption. So maybe a backing for solar panels that convert radiant heat in to energy in addition to the solar cell photovoltaic capability.

Good one user

I wonder what cars would look like with that painted on it?

Coat the rear of an LCD panel in it so I can finally have true blacks

Attached: 1491271372005.jpg (598x714, 303K)