/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: adorable.png (500x726, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/5938332/how-to-run-mac-os-x-on-any-windows-pc-using-virtualbox
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is that you doot?

I have an ips so it doesnt matter?

System information shows that the pagefile is currently at 1.75 gb and it gives a file path, so yeah it's on.

I need a tablet simply for reading, what's a good one around 100 euros? Been thinking about a Lenovo Tab 4 8. It feels bad to buy a piece of shit, but I can't justify spending money for a thing that will only be used for reading and I hate reading on a computer screen because of the aspect ratio and I like my phones small

Is there some way to get os x free?
I want to try it out(because I'm in music school where the prevailing attitude is use os x or go fuck yourself)
I just need to understand it, I'm aware that everyone here hates apple.

does anyone have this huge frustrating when trying to learn a new language or something new in general? i can't sit down and do it, it's like someone is pulling me back and just running in my head.

Attached: 1546976424858.jpg (500x375, 41K)

Fuck those other kids. Real musicians don’t give a damn what OS you use. Those flexing motherfuckers aren’t going anywhere.

I still need it for class though, but thanks for the support.

google hackintosh
os x isn't even that bad, it has a lot of basis in UNIX, unlike W*ndows

There’s no good way to get it for free. Sorry user. If you’re on a budget refurbished or gently used macs are good. Make sure to inspect all the ports and look for scratches and take plenty of time to inspect the computer if you’re buying used.

I haven't been able to find any that ship to the US, only europe. and the ones that do ship to the US cost too much when you add shipping costs.

stop caring about the atmosphere, user
get a thinkpad if you don't already have a good laptop
pirate Windows 7 or install a linux distro
when it comes to headphones ask /hpg/ or /iemg/
you don't need the approval of peers to succeed in school, stop giving in to their culture, I bet they use fucking airpods for fuck sake

hackintosh is a fine option but it will cost you so much in time
he just said he needs it for a class

I'm thinking about buying a cheap NUC.
Is the NUC7PJYH worth the extra 50 euros over a NUC7CJYH

>Pentium J5005
>UHD 605 with 18 execution units, 72-230 gflops

vs

>Celeron J4005
>UHD 600 with 12 eu, 48-134 gflops

Both have a 10W TDP, but I know Intel lies about their TDP so I expect the Pentium to be a bit higher.

I was hoping to get an iso then just boot it in a vm.

why would the class require you to use os x? why wouldn't it just let you use whatever you want? that makes no fucking sense

What is the best virtual machine host for Windows 10?

Not sure where to post this but I read somewhere that you could use your phone as a controller for pc. I'd like to use it for emulators. Any idea how to go about this? Customizable layouts would be p good too

io9.gizmodo.com/5938332/how-to-run-mac-os-x-on-any-windows-pc-using-virtualbox

For an electronic music class the focal programs are os x exclusive(final cut, logic)

There is an app for it to work through bluetooth but the latency is insane.

Just buy a $15-30 controller.

been looking and it seems that there is barely such a thing as a decent budget tablet, oh well fuck me, better gonna keep reading on my pc like a retard instead of buying literal trash

wifi keeps shuttung down and it takes multiple restarts to get it back working again.

thinkpad x220 and i installed windows 10 on here
the thing works but it turns off for no reason. it is not the network switch thats the problem. My usb wifi dongle work fine no issues. It used to work earlier without any problems. help appreciated!

they're probably in some DAW class and the instructor wants all the students to learn the same key commands and arbitrarily chose a mac because of some stupid preference

What should I type when yay asks me which diff to show?

I see. Do you know which controllers are compatible with pc and which should I buy?

for some weird reason there's no captcha showing on Jow Forums.org, anyone knows what the fuck could it be?

Attached: 1546925670628.png (310x631, 13K)

>Snes/GBA/games that dont need analog
Buffalo USB controller.
>All PC Games
DS4.

You are blocking google servers.
Are you using uBlock or uMatrix?

>also the computer lab is all macs

>DS4
*DS3

uBlock origin.
I thought so, I will look closely what's up in the uBlock dialog on both sites but I have no weird filters or anything extra.

Enable advanced settings in well settings.
Then click the icon and post a screenshot here.

DS3 looks better but its worse all around.

youtube-dl site says that openload work but mpv +ytdl close when linked.

Can someone recommend me a reasonably priced tablet for reading manga, please? Nothing expensive, but decent quality.

you mean this?
left side is 4channel, right side is Jow Forums

Attached: 4channel-4chan.png (1032x376, 38K)

Considering selling my gaming PC and buying a mid-range laptop. Latest recommendations? Think max budget is 800/900, it doesn't have to be good specs, just looking for good build quality. Will be doing plenty of programming on it, and it will be my daily driver.

Anyone?
Or is a NUC7i3DNHE worth it too?

Dont.
Buy a used W530/W540 thinkpad instead with a GPU.

The pentium one.
But why do you need a NUC? and how much are you paying for each one?

What's the preferred way to get German holidays into the Android calendar? No GApps by the way.

>more ergonomic
>fully convex analog sticks, no gay ridge
>miniUSB B
>much easier to service (not a common issue to arise but trust me, you don't want to open a DS4)
The only pro I see in the DS4 is the trackpad, and I don't know if that's really been utilized outside of the PS4.

170 for the Pentium.

>But why do you need a NUC?
Tiny form factor.

You're blocking google services that load the captcha

So you can post in nsfw boards right?

Are there any third party FOSS twitter clients where direct messages work?

All torrents I try to download with Deluge keep getting stuck at "Checking 0.00%", how to fix?

Attached: ques.png (741x568, 44K)

Hi frens, I have a problem in Python.

list1 = [[15, 29], [15, 25], [23, 27],[23,29]]
a = 23
for i in list1:
if a != i[0]:
list1.remove(i)

print(list1) -> What I want : [[23, 27], [23, 29]] // What I get : [[15, 25], [23, 27], [23, 29]]

If list 1 = [[15,29],[23,27],[23,29],[15,25]], it works fine.
But having two i[0] of the same value in a row fucks up the result.
What can I do ?

Attached: 1443980135184.png (658x901, 73K)

I have some faint horizontal lines at one spot of my brand new 144hz monitor. Is this normal?
They're really obvious at certain colors.

b = [x for x in list1 if not a != x[0]]
print(b

what's the best way to watch tv shows on android since terrarium tv went down the shitter?

Guys pls respond.

someone explain to me how i am applying thermal paste to my laptpo cpu/gpu wrong

i apply around 1.5-2 rice grain size blobs of thermal paste and i smear it around with a finger, taking some off as i go. i smear it around until a thin layer covers the metal and i apply the heatsink

my cpu is running at like 50 fucking celsius at idle this is so fucking AIDS it jumps from 40c to 60c randomly i am really hoping this is just windows 10 being a gay CPU hog. bout to install windows7 on this thing

Any way to stop using a laptop battery while charging and using it to preserve the health?

You arent supposed to spread it, the second you do you fuck it up.
Clean with isopropyl paste both heatsink and CPU.
Put new paste, only a dot.
Put heatsink over the dot, done.

Just got my monitor and there’s this black line. How do i fix it?

Attached: 3DA5A54D-E657-4917-AC25-7253B5C407FE.jpg (4032x3024, 2.58M)

You dont, RMA it.

What’s that?

>Return Merchandise Authorization
Return it and ask for a new one.

I have repasted my GPU and CPU fucking 3 times today. Im convinced its just windows 10 being a giant resource hog. Im going to retest things after installing windows 7

A couple months ago I repasted my desktop CPU with the method you're "supposed" to do
>all you need is one drop user :)

And my CPU instantly jumped to 90C, and I redid the thermal paste but with the method I just explained and it worked great. I am convinced the one drop thing is a meme

W10 is a resource hog beacuse all the adware/spyware it comes with, reason why people install the LTSB and LTSC versions because those come without 90% of the shit that makes it bad and the other 10% can be disabled in group policy.
90°C is too high anyway, you are fucking something up unless you are using a old AMD FX CPU.

What is your build like? a photo of your case/motherboard/heatsink too.

Does this discoloration issue have a name? It's on an LG LED TV from 2012.

Attached: IMG_4039.jpg (4032x3024, 3.5M)

I am repasting a w530 with intel QM cpu and 2000m nvidia gpu. I bought it used off ebay. I have a w520 with QM cpu that runs around 37C at idle on windows 7 so Im going to compare temps after I finish installing w7 on the w530

As a side note, is there any difference between thermal paste that is more paste-y and less runny? I just buy whatever the pc shop down the road sells and they didnt have the super runny stuff that most thermal paste is like, this stuff is almost starchy and sort of dry. Called protronix. Is this shit better or worse than arctic?

>protronix
That shit is thermal grease not thermal paste.
Order a tube of MX-4, NT-H1, those 2 are some of the good pastes and are $5-7.
Even the shitty TG-7 would be better.

im too retarded to install pic related
theres rooting and booting and my device and bla bla i just want linage os :(

i cant watch videos cause theyre all indians giving vague videos

> lg g6

Attached: Capture.jpg (936x584, 17K)

This is what the last thinkpad i repasted (T440p with GT 730m) looked like for reference, i used MX-4.
Just go and buy/order some proper thermal paste.

Attached: IMG_20180906_165642.jpg (2592x1944, 1.6M)

can you explain the difference?

I've reached my wits end and I know I'll get abuse and insults, but would appreciate any advice. tl;dr Plex server running on Ubuntu issues

I'm an Engineer by trade and have no programming knowledge and have only ever used Windows. I bought a home server last year, installed my hard-drives and then decided to use Ubunutu rather than buy a Windows License. Read a few tutorials and managed to get my Plex server up and running with folders shared on the network so I could transfer new files to it from my Windows desktop.

2 years later and I've bought 2 8TB drives for my content and I want to install Ubunutu on a smaller drive, so I wipe it clean and install it via USB. No issues and I get Plex up and running again. However now I can't share folder. Windows can see the folder, but can't access it. I have spent the past 5 fucking hours dealing with the almighty sack of grotesque pus seeping shit that is Samba and each issue I solve brings a new one.

Don't have permission to access usershare? Fine, add my user to the sambashare group.
Drive share doesn't stay? Fine, use "sudo nautilus" to share the folder that way.
Windows won't accept username and password? Fine, remove user password and allow guests to be shared,

Nothing works, I've cocked something up and I've had enough. Should I just buy a Windows 7 license (that's what I'm using currently as I hate 8/10) and install it on my server?

btw the tube literally says "thermal paste" and it says "for GPU, CPU, LED"

its series 7, if that means anything

Huge difference in temperature, cheaper (Usually $10 for 500g where paste is $5 for 4-10g) and is sold often as thermal paste because it can be used in ULV products.
But in a GPU or a quad core CPU? never.
The difference between proper thermal paste is minimal(1-5°C) but when it comes to low quality stuff it can go from 5 to 20-40°C.

Attached: God fuck moot and his shitty software.png (682x282, 8K)

so even though it's advertised as thermal paste and the tube says it can be used for cpu and gpu, it's not actually thermal paste?

Happens often.
Thermal paste is supposed to be liquid to transfer heat properly.

Could someone explain to me the basics of Remote desktop and port forwarding, I want to build a NAS for watching movies, anime anywhere around my home / school without needing to worry about storage, I am confused on which type to use. From what I see online the best types to use are Anydesk, Microsoft's RDP and team viewer, I am a bit hesitant on using any because I don't know what I should do and how to enable the protection or security settings.

Attached: ilya32.png (1920x1080, 1018K)

You're looking at the entirely wrong kind of thing. Those are for accessing live streams of your desktop, which gives you the ability to use your desktop as if you were actually there, at the expense of looking very shitty. Video is the last thing you would want to use them for. Look into getting a plex subscription.

How can i deal with a sticky key on my laptop? I dont know if the keycap can be removed because its shown a lot of resistance when I try to take it off but the stickiness is becoming unbearable

Okay thanks for clarifying

should I be worried to activate the hyper-V feature on a windows 10 pro installation I use mainly for gaymes? heard it does some funk stuff with the kernel

Also is there any particular reason why a key could become sticky
Its my w key so I use it a lot when I play videogames but I wipe the keyboard pretty often

I asked this before but wasn't able to find a solution, so I'm trying again.

Why, on a fresh install of Windows 10, are all of my fonts missing certain characters? In particular the white and black stars are the ones I'm noticing. In various Windows apps, Notepad++ for example, the character displays as the missing-character box. Other Windows machines I use or have used have displayed them just fine, without ever having installed additional fonts.

Attached: file.png (527x208, 13K)

To add - I've tried reinstalling fonts, installing Asian language fonts, installing fonts copied from a computer where the characters are displayed correctly, and reinstalling Windows (on a vm). But no, it's still the damn empty square.

How do I copy data from a dying drive into a new one? Do I just cut and paste? Using W7

What's essential normiecore Jow Forums-/lit/? Like Steve Jobs and the Zucc and all those other mofos. I'm tryna git gud IRL without being a LARPer. I've never had a Mac product etc etc etc.

Attached: 220px-Steve_Jobs_by_Walter_Isaacson.jpg (220x352, 16K)

What's the reason for a Deluge daemon to be making passive connections to random servers across the sea? It sends out probably 20 bytes on average to a few severs. It's a fresh install and I have zero torrents seeding/downloading. I haven't even torrented anything yet. It's really spooking me out.

Are TN panel colors really THAT bad compared to IPS? I like to fuck around in photoshop from time to time. Nothing professional or anything, but the complaints about TN panels having bad color accuracy worry me. If I'm some casual normie with fairly shit eyesight in the first place, am I going to notice it that much?

SICP is the Jow Forums bible. As with the Christian bible, nobody actually reads the thing, but we talk about it all the time.

I've read the bible

Ok but what do normal people read about technology? Like not-educational things, books like "Steve Jobs", I want to know what the world thinks about the state of tech so I can fit in. Like it or not, it's the NPCs that succeed.

Try setting the minimum samba client version to something other than 1.0 on the server settings, Windows has problems with certain Samba versions (especially 1.0).

my mobo doesn't have a PCIe slot
should I get a PCI to SATA instead PCIe to SATA
are the differences noticeable?

why do some of my .webm's become corrupted like this? I have hundreds of webms saved from Jow Forums but only a couple of them look like this when I watch them a year later (they always have the same visual corruption).

I have tried playing them on many different systems with different graphics cards and processor but same shit

Attached: 2019-01-07 04_31_09.png (615x439, 294K)

Does anyone know how I can watch FHD amazon prime video on linux? To clarify, I can watch prime video but it's in SD.

Muggles don't read books about technology.

Check your disk.

If you have no choice then comparison is pointless.

Use a checksumming filesystem such as btrfs or zfs
Also what user said

There's a range on TNs, some are better than others. But I haven't personally found one that I would be willing to use as my primary. It's not about "accuracy", its that all the colors look super washed out by comparison.

>If you have no choice then comparison is pointless.
let me rephrase then
what speeds can I expect to get from a PCI to SATA card, will it throttle HDD speed?

what's the best free torrent client?

I heard utorrent is a botnet for bitcoin mining. I'm looking at qBittorrent right now.

Attached: 1543556506165.jpg (654x512, 52K)

I like deluge

A typical PCI bus theoretically does 133MB/s. In practice it depends on your chipset, hard drives, and use case.