Arch BTW

So im giving into the meme. about to install arch linux. I'm guessing that I put it on a bootable usb and then just type in a bunch of commands depending on what I want to install?
pic unrelated

Attached: th.jpg (191x167, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arcolinuxd.com/5-the-actual-installation-of-arch-linux-phase-1-bios/
computingforgeeks.com/yay-best-aur-helper-for-arch-linux-manjaro/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Practice on a VM first, so you don't fuck yourself

what if all i want to do is log in and take a screenfetch?

are there any good guides to follow? I have my laptop open and the USB flashed. I really just want to do this one time. Then I may try to install some video games on it for fun...

the wiki is good, if you cant understand it use this
arcolinuxd.com/5-the-actual-installation-of-arch-linux-phase-1-bios/

cool I'm going in. I will report back

lmfao, just follow the fucking instructions on the wiki. what is there to practice for following a sequence that is clearly described to you.

ive been watching luke smith. and I agree with him that you shouldnt try to replace windows with linux. However, is there any email application like outlook that will sync all my mailboxes and/or calendar?

anyway I will keep this open and report back if i need more tech support thanks fellas! XDDDDD

I wouldnt replace it entirely, but I'd go full Linux for day to day causal pc use. If you're mostly web browsing, using media players, text editing etc, then certain Linux distros make for a fantastic main OS. It'll do all of that just as well as windows without any of the aggregious windows telemetry, security issues and general lack of control you have over what windows 10 does

But if you're in school, doing work that requires high compatibility with a number of programs, or playing games then you need something with windows on hand. Not that you can't work in Linux, but if you're using a lot of proporatery software then using windows/osx clears up a lot of headaches

it's called thunderbird and you can try it out on windows or mac first.

Tries Arch as first distro.
Oh, the pain . . . the pain!

Attached: sav-the-four-words-every-girl-wants-whispered-in-her-32727518.png (500x408, 127K)

thanks for the feedback. All i know is that people have gotten WoW to work on Arch and I will try doing that while I have time on my main comp over winter break. If I can get other tools working then I will switch it over to my laptop that will be my main laptop for Tutoring work and taking database classes.

ArCh BtW

Attached: larbs.png (797x906, 64K)

Eh for that just format your disk, make filesystems, mount it, install base system, make fstab, set timezone and locale, install grub and screenfetch and you should be done.

you guys xddd stop xddd

anyway I am like halfway through installing i think. I am setting up the partitions. smooth sailing. were gonna make it boys!

setting up partitions is secodn thing you had to do installing arch, first is set net connection...

ok maybe im retarded then. Also I want my main boot partition to be as much as possible and the swap to be double my ram right?

install ubunto and spoof screenfetch

no, swap should be 4x ram in case you want to hibernate

the video im watching said it is controversial. Im not sure if youre memeing me or what but I'll just stick to 2x for now

If you value your time skip arch.
I used it for 6 months then switched to kubuntu. What took arch 6 months to set up took me a couple of days with kubuntu.

There are good things about arch though. compiling things is easier because headers are part of nearly every package. Also forces you to learn the nitty gritty things about linux. though in hindsight i would have never needed to learn these things if I had skipped arch...

I am taking a linux course next semester. I think installing arch will be beneficial to my learning. Anyway I have nothing better to do.. I would be playing vidya

If you have an SSD make it 4x. Fast d'sk access is great for swapping.

>linux course

Just install gentoo.

this

I've played wow on arch
the absolute retard proof way of doing it is to install lutris and use their script to install wow
practically hands free, just make sure you install wine (and the 32bit libraries) before you use the script

He needs to edit /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf to include the line
vm.swappiness=80

to actually reap the benefits though.

you guys are really trying to break his ssd aren't you?
for shame

>screenfetch
how do i upload a pic?
should i install a desktop first?

Well you could use a text browser but yeah I'd install a desktop first.

fuck yeah good luck

Attached: 1546308940528.png (600x568, 374K)

pacman -Ss [search text]

replace search text with software you are loooking for

>not using calDAV paired with a office program than includes both mail and calendar

Update:
Got a desktop environment installed now how do I get the display settings to at least come up

Attached: 20190108_202020.jpg (4032x3024, 2.87M)

Uh maybe try to search ”{DE ur using} display settings"
Or better yet install i3 and get to experience the full potential of Linux. I switched from Windows to Manjaro xfce to arch with i3 and I'll never go back. Manjaro was decent but it just felt like a shitty Windows version. I3 will help you discover Linux in all its Glory

Congrats. Google your laptop model and Arch Linux, somebody else might have made notes.
Follow the install guide and good luck. Arch is comfy, but expect to put in a lot of time to get to that.

When you eventually need the AUR, get 'yay'
computingforgeeks.com/yay-best-aur-helper-for-arch-linux-manjaro/

You're welcome

am i doin this right?

Attached: 2019-01-09-030315_3840x1080_scrot.png (3840x1080, 2.33M)

What's the point of these AUR managers if you can just git clone the package, and makepkg -si? You get to look at the PKGBUILD that way too.

Attached: SlashGeeSlash.png (650x4377, 871K)

you're on your way!
get gnome-tweaks if you don't have it already, so you can get extensions like pic related

Attached: file.png (1900x1400, 244K)

They simplify the process and can do neat things like auto-removing build deps after install, among other things

Imagine having to download extensions for shit that comes with every sane DE by default.

Attached: fortyk.png (292x257, 101K)

Not gonna lie, it's annoying.
They package a software download gui that has all the extensions, at least. They're also on the arch packages/aur

imagine not being able to appreciate someones hobby

Luke appreciates it.

Friendly reminder that archfags are just brainlets who couldnt install gentoo

Reminder gentoocucks are just fags that couldn't LFS

Reminder that I use arch btw

2 things:
how do i make it so clicking settings actually does something. and how do i change the font on this computer?

Attached: arch.png (804x906, 46K)

Your hobby is to jump through hoops because the GNOME devs are sucking jenkem?
Enjoy, I guess.

I actually liked GNOME before 3, these days I use Plasma.

I run Funtoo on my computers that aren't laptops.
Here's your (You).

just use LARBS

use the setfont command

as in type setfont into terminal? it didnt return anything.

I am having trouble getting sound to work now on the root user. I think gnome-tweaks broke it

Why would your root user need to use sound anyway?
Just what kind of niggardry are you putting your system through?

>I'm guessing that I put it on a bootable usb and then just type in a bunch of commands depending on what I want to install?
Exactly. Just read the wiki, it's described there.
It's also not particularly hard to do.

>>I am having trouble getting sound to work now on the root user
>sound
>root user

Attached: 1463352376555.jpg (604x604, 32K)

Arch is pointless. Have fun, you're going to learn to follow instructions closely in a wiki. That's what you'll get out of the experience.

You'd be shocked how rare a skill RTFM is.

It's pretty easy to install arch.
Just put in the usb, open wiki on phone and follow directions.
For me the hard part wasn't installation, but not breaking it after a while, because I used to try and tweak it a lot, until eventually I did something I wasn't supposed to.

AUR helpers ask if you want to change the PKGBUILD anyway