Fedora vs Ubuntu for desktop

I've used both CentOS and Ubuntu server for some time. Both are pretty similar from a server perspective. I have played with the new Ubuntu 18 desktop a bit, but haven't touched the new Fedora 29, or any Fedora version in the past 5+ years for that matter.

What are the pros and cons of each as a desktop OS? I do like to game. I, sadly, use Windows 10 as a workstation OS, but love Linux on the server. I want to switch to Linux full time. Considering I'm studying up on RHCSA, and even Linus Torvalds uses Fedora, I'm leaning a bit towards the Fedora route now.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.jpg (785x450, 22K)

I like fedora a lot, dnf is nice, and with RPMFusion there's plenty of packages that are omitted from the official repos for legal issues. Overall 9.5/10 pretty solid.

Fedora is the future now that IBM bought redhat.

>install fedora
>try to install some packages that i have literally never had problems with on other distros
>dependency/mirror issues
>some other packages aren't on official repository for some reason
meme

ubuntu is a joke. unstable garbage full of bloatware.

See

Let me guess: Arch.

Not him, but Opensuse.

Fedora is great from a workstation side of things but as a home os I think there is a better alternativ out there

I listed genuine problems with ubuntu and how I liked fedora better in another thread and got called an arch elitist for it, there are better alternatives, but I don't think ubuntu is one.

Arch is great ( I use it as my main) but for for what to just use try it out and see what you fall in love with

I've tried to use arch many times, it sucks shit and dies to a fart in the wind, one of three distros that I can watch kernel panic weekly, both fedora and opensuse have never given me an issue outside of packman breaking like twice, it's hard for me to use a distro that needs babying and spending a couple of hours on a week when I have better things to do with my time.

Attached: 1540517414947.png (1011x874, 465K)

Mxlincucks if you're still into using lincucks.

I have been running arch over 4 mounths and it have never done that for me, but i see the appeal of running openSUSE and fedora, I just never left it the install on my PC at work or at home

Ubuntu LTSs are very stable

I hate Ubuntu. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:
Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Redhat. Redhat basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Gnome, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Redhat has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.
Ubuntu on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from Debian with each release. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @ubuntu or @cannocial email addresses in upstream changelogs.
So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.
Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.
What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.
If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!

>Oops
Bloatware isn't an issue if you opt install with the Minimal Installation with no third-party addons. The most demanding thing is the Gnome environment from my experience, but even in saying that, by RAM use in Ubuntu never goes above 2000 at absolute max.

True Ubuntu is overall not a great distro for someone who knows Linux

I can't believe how long this fuckin copypasta has remained in active use and relevant

Why not use CentOS on your desktop?

Whichever you're happier to use is the correct choice.