What's a computer?

What's a computer?

Attached: ts_sanho-unveils-worlds-first-usb-c-hub-for-ipad-pro-2018.png (960x540, 558K)

>muh dongles

It's a dock :3

There literally isn't even a single reason to buy the Smart Keyboard Folio. The iPad Pro is great with just the Smart Folio alone.
Fight me.

You don't type?

>muh tablet + shitty keyboard pretend laptop combo

I don't get this meme

god i love unix

If I needed to type for an extended period I would use my laptop.

boomers in 3..2..1

>cursor keys
>text selection using the shift-key
I'm just guessing here.

Tablets are nice devices that live between the cushions on your couch, in a similar way that your tv remote does.
So since you already have a table why not add a keyboard so you can handle heavier emails?

The virtual keyboard on the iPad Pro, especially the 12.9 variant, is pretty much better than the Smart Keyboard Folio in nearly every way.
Plus, . Writing a novel isn't a task for a tablet.

>cursor keys
Use two fingers on the virtual keyboard and be amazed. It's better since there's no taptaptapping or holding.
>text selection using the shift-key
Slower than just doing normal text selection the standard way on the iPad.

>no taptaptapping or holding
If you know you fix something 3 lines ago, or 4 words ago, you only need to tap that many time. You don't need to poke the screen several times to get the caret to where you want and not accidentally select a word, or something.

>Slower than just doing normal text selection the standard way on the iPad.
You get speed and precision with a keyboard.
Though my feeling are biased: My text editor of choice is vim, and my experience with touch-screen keyboards is an iPhone. And I mainly use the iPP with an apple pencil.

>too expensive for what it is (which is basically a shit keyboard that only works with one specific device, of one specific size and model)
>the only benefit is more screen real-estate, which isn't really worth it because you can just hide the virtual keyboard when not in use to see the whole screen anyway
>>plus the iPad Pro's aspect ratio essentially means that you still have a lot of viewing space while typing on the virtual keyboard
>keyboard shortcuts rendered null because they're not app-specific and gestures are pretty much just as fast and effective, and even easier to remember
>not ergonomic at all
>defeats the core purpose of the device's existence, which was to drop the keyboard and mouse
>redundant, since the virtual keyboard is there and it's basically the same size
>the virtual keyboard is basically better anyway:
>>virtual keyboard is backlit. folio keyboard isn't.
>>folio keyboard doesn't have function keys. virtual keyboard doesn't, either, but it's OK for the virtual keyboard not to have function keys because it's already on the screen, where the control center is
>>typing on the virtual keyboard is actually faster and easier because of auto-correct and a literal lack of key travel, meaning less effort to register a keystroke
>makes the device more cumbersome as a whole
>gives app developers the potential to discriminate against users who don't have the keyboard be implementing features that can only be access with the keyboard
checks out. keyboard is basically useless and counterproductive.
the iPad is a tablet. let it be a really powerful tablet. stop trying to contort it into something it isn't. it's not a laptop.

>You don't need to poke the screen several times to get the caret to where you want and not accidentally select a word, or something.
First off, poking the screen isn't as much of a problem with the Smart Folio as it would be with the Smart Keyboard Folio, because the Smart Folio allows the user to keep the iPad at a sort of 'typing' angle that the Smart Keyboard Folio doesn't allow.
Secondly, simply tapping the place you want the caret to move to is loads easier than holding cmd and tapping the arrow keys simultaneously. It can be done quite easily without accidentally selecting a word.

Something that gives society cancer

>You get speed and precision with a keyboard.
Not particularly. With a full-sized mechanical keyboard, sure. But not with the Smart Keyboard Folio for the iPad Pro. The keys are tiny and the point where they totally bottom out is unclear, resulting in a wholly unpleasant typing experience where you're not entirely sure if that wobbly keystroke landed properly. Since the onscreen keys are actually bigger anyway, it's easier to just use the onscreen keys. Plus it requires less effort to just tap away at a screen instead of pushing physical keys.
Yes, you can't feel the keys, but muscle memory still takes over and after getting used to typing on a flat surface, it's not a problem.
>Though my feeling are biased: My text editor of choice is vim, and my experience with touch-screen keyboards is an iPhone. And I mainly use the iPP with an apple pencil.
Cool. I highly recommend giving the iOS keyboard on the iPad Pro a chance. Just use it to type for like a week. The Smart Keyboard Folio is simple a poor choice on Apple's part and doesn't really work for the iPad's case.
It's fine when Microsoft does it with the Surface because the use case is a bit different, but the iPad's context renders the Smart Keyboard Folio pretty much useless when you really sit down and weight the benefits and drawbacks on a philosophical level.

Eeeew gross keep that Epple crap on bookface retard.

>tapping the place you want the caret to move to is loads easier than holding cmd and tapping the arrow keys simultaneously
But with my hands are already on the keyboard it's fast to just leave my hands on them.

>With a full-sized mechanical keyboard, sure. But not with the Smart Keyboard Folio.
This sounds wholely reasonable.

>But with my hands are already on the keyboard it's fast to just leave my hands on them.
The same applies to the virtual keyboard. You're just moving your fingers a few inches from area of the display to another.
Except with the Smart Keyboard Folio, you're constantly switching between keyboard and screen, making the experience exponentially worse and more exhausting. It even goes against Apple's own design philosophy.
Craig Federighi said his reasoning for implementing a Touch Bar above the MacBook's keyboard instead of a touch screen was because, "When you hands are here [mimics typing on a keyboard], they tend to wanna stay there." The Smart Keyboard Folio deliberately and directly breaks that rule.

>"When you hands
your*

Whoops.