/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1547023866792.png (555x471, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/ archive/ubuntu/webupd8/ index?batch=75&direction=backwards&memo=600&start=525
launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/ archive/ubuntu/webupd8/ index?batch=75&direction=backwards&memo=600&start=525#ppa-install
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

based and gnupilled

Actually that's false.

Imagine if you discovered some big secret that gave you an advantage at life. Would you share it with other people and lose your advantage?

What if you really struggled to gain that knowledge. Sharing it so easily would make it worth less.

What about in a social context, where your friends have nothing to give back in return but take for granted the knowledge you share with them and become competitive about it?

What does 4channel/g/fglt think of GNOME Tracker, the modern Unix file indexer?

Attached: tracker.png (912x782, 329K)

autismo world problems

100% truth
that Stallman guy is a hippie.

Come now. He's 100% correct. It's not worth it.

You must be a shitty friend tbqh.

I had a friend, let say friend A right. Before I told friend A anything, they knew nothing.

Then out of excitement I decide to share information with friend A. Friend A slowly starts learning more and more as they hang out with you. After a while they're starting to get a hang of the thing.

Then one day, friend A starts losing their respect for you. You've taught friend A all he wants to know now. He has no further use for you. And all of sudden friend A starts becoming competitive with you about that thing.

Friend A now treats you like a used napkin.

That's what happens when you share shit with other people.

No, it's just that relationships need to be balanced. Give and receive. Sharing information you worked hard for that goes unappreciated sucks.

Classic hacker tradition.
>information wants to be free
>source code is information
Stallman is literally digital Jesus. Only Linux atheists and their gaylord leader Torvalds would deny that sharing with your friend is a good thing.

Attached: 165ab00ba09c54a13d2a94e972b4aa0873617280a5af718be6dc521a944915e0.png (413x653, 281K)

I miss terry ;_;

>based
gnu/based*
>gnupilled
gnu/pilled*

Said nobody ever.
Yes, nobody miss you, Terry. You should be dead for real.

Use timers instead.

Command that takes a compressed file and extract it to a specified location without asking me if it's a zip, a tar, a cow... it just looks at the file extension and extracts it.
What is it?

Best way to get a snapshot of all my filesystem? Not the files, but the filenames and their location. I was thinking about "tree", but maybe there's an easier way?

how do i upgrade woeusb to using repository? im on ubuntu

link to repository: launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/ archive/ubuntu/webupd8/ index?batch=75&direction=backwards&memo=600&start=525

sorry if its a dumb question this is the first time on linux and i cant figure this out

launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/ archive/ubuntu/webupd8/ index?batch=75&direction=backwards&memo=600&start=525#ppa-install

i did this to add the repository

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update

but how do i update woeusb?

Let's assume that it is something I can give away for free without it costing me anything.
Why wouldn't I give it to people?
You have to give context for it to even make sense to others.
For example, I work at a university where I do some supervision of students.
I know a ton of stuff that took me years to learn, but I also know how to condense the important stuff so people can learn it faster.
Why wouldn't I teach them this?
What possible reason could I have for not giving them this kind of advice?
>make it worth less
I doubt it. Let's assume that they start take it for granted and spend less time studying because I tell them too much right away; they work less hard themselves because they know they can just ask me and get a clear answer.
That just weeds out lazy students. It doesn't make me a bad teacher.
On the other end of the spectrum, what if the students actually learn the "basic" stuff faster because I just tell them and then learns more than they otherwise would have?
Isn't that the ideal scenario for a teacher to wish for regarding his students?
Would their success impede mine in any way?
Let's say we have the dream scenario and every student I teach become massive names in my field. Let's say they exceed me in every way.
How is that a bad thing for me?
When I was a student I didn't need to hold back information even though the other students would compete with me for jobs. Having them succeed was good for me as we often needed to work together to complete assignments.
They obviously compete with me for jobs, salary etc but I am capable of securing my own work.

What would be the gtk equivalent of gwenview? or just something that is less bloated but has almost the same functions
basically im looking for an image viewer that can also act as a file manager

atool

sudo apt-get upgrade

Legit question. What 'mainstream' distros support energy management ala windows? I ask this because a few days ago I had to use gparted to format a drive, and the shit put my CPU fan at a speed and noise I've never seen and heard before.
I want to confirm this isn't an issue on, say, Linux Mint or Xubuntu/Lubuntu which are the ones that have caught my attention the most.

I want everything to be terminus font
how do I achieve this on Arch?

Attached: 1546988434420.png (510x690, 455K)

>has been "Sharing" gnu hurd for 40 years
>"give something without losing something"
Nah, you can keep hurd and you can also stfu, because your kernel is 40 years old and hasent broken milestone v 1.0

What are your thoughts on MX Linux? It's seems really popular on distrowatch and YouTube, but I'm not sure what makes it stand out. How does it compares with Xubuntu (which I run on my old laptop) or Debian with xfce?

Anyone know how to change screenshot directories for mpv?
in my mpv.conf file, I have:
screenshot-directory = ~~/home/name/Pictures/Screenshots
but it saves to
/home/.config/mpv/name/Pictures/Screenshots

Everything? Even websites and menus?
Some stuff would look like shit because it's a monospace font

Used to be a winfag but a recent fucking update was the straw that broke the camel's back. Everything is horrendously slow and I'm not coming back to this shit. Which particular distro should i opt into?

Attached: ScreenShot_20190109172401.png (1117x716, 67K)

yes i'd like to experience that and fix if I want to

Classic Ubuntu with no flavours

Attached: mark.jpg (770x578, 51K)

try budgie for me

Budgie.
Or go on their fucking websites and check them out yourself.

Kubuntu

Cringe

What DE should I shoot for on a thinkpad t420? I'm not sure I should run KDE on something with 4gbs of ram. Cinnamon a good choice?

xfce

>Eat 2 gigs of ram
>nothing personnel kid

>4gbs of ram
xfce or some minimalist tiling manager.

Don't attempt to run gnome or kde on anything less than 8gigs

actually that can also be a retarded decision because when you tell to much and everyone else can do your job, you can lose yours.
Wait, thats why he doesn't have a job.

Sharing AIDS is the most fundamental act of friendship. Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something.

i use xfce on my laptop with 4gb of ram. i works perfectly fine. if you want more minimal try openbox or any tiling wm.

LXDE STRONG
COME AT ME XFCEFAGS

>apt install kde-full

Attached: maestromain.jpg (966x1200, 109K)

bump

I'm trying to install freetype font library for wine.
They direct me to freetype.org/download.html, but I'm unsure what to download and how to install it.
Can someone guide me?

What are some lighter alternatives to Krita with the same or more functionality? I like Krita and I'm used to it but hate how no matter how good the PC it's running on is it always takes 10 years to start up.

So there's a .tar.bz2, .tarbz2.sig, tar.gz, and tar.gz.sig.
Which one should I get?

Finna start using i3 or some other tiling WM as my daily driver.

Should I use Ubuntu or Fedora? I want lots of packages and minimal driver issues

The great debate

Upgrade your distro straight up, or wipe and install a new version from scratch?

Are these 5 seconds really THAT important to you?

It's way more than 5 seconds. I've had load times of 30s-60s or more.

Use sane distros where this isnt an issue

Is it the thing behind gnome/nautilus searchbar? It is pretty good, i like that.

if i wasn't using a rolling distro i'd probably pick the latter

Wipe and install a rolling release distro.

linux is a pos
you basically have to reinstall every few months to keep it from imploding more and more often over time

How large of a file you are opening?

I'm talking about launching the program itself. I sit staring at the Krita splash screen for sometimes a minute or more.

someone please please please tell me how to stop the constant screen tearing, it's impossible to watch a 1080p video or scroll "fast".
Already installed amd drivers and lower my monitor refresh rate to 60hrz

That is surprising
It launches in 5-6 seconds for me.
Whats your specs?

run fucking compton you fucking mong

I expect it to be slower than fuck on my thinkpad (x200t core2 duo w/ 8GB) but my desktop which admittedly isn't much newer (i3 4150 w/8GB) should be better.

I fucking love Linux Mint.

Attached: 2359028.png (1920x1080, 222K)

>discord
>steam
yuck

>nvidia
>chromium
ew

looks comfy desu

You both contributed to TWO BOTNETS to make these posts

Debian supports in-place upgrades but I always just reinstall from scratch anyway, because it gives me an opportunity to clear out cruft - packages I don't use, config files that customize things I don't need or care about anymore, etc.

Also I want to be sure that if I have a major disaster (lightning strike or whatever) I have notes good enough that I can recreate everything about my system. Reinstalling tests that. I don't want to be annoyed by something, and know that it's possible to change it, but I've forgotten how and I have to spend two hours digging on the internet trying to figure out something that I should have just written down.

What DE is that? Is that what Cinnamon looks like now?

Aye.

Maybe SSD would help?

I have an SSD in my laptop, I can try it on my desktop.

Then probably the easiest way that doesn't involve manually editing a lot of separate stuff, is to set the generic font families to terminus in your fontconfig.
Just create the file ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf with the following:

sans-serif

Terminus

serif

Terminus

monospace

Terminus

That should do most of the heavy lifting. Some applications you might need to still set manually. And if GTK menus still aren't terminus then just get "lxappearance" and set the default font in there. As for things like titlebars that should be dependent on your DE/WM, but the above fontconfig should probably take care of that.

You probably should. Because I don't think you should get this high load time. Maybe run in terminal to see what error messages you are getting (if any) while loading?

Also, this is assuming that "Terminus" is the name of your terminus font. On some distros it's not. Run "fc-match Terminus" to determine the correct name and edit the fonts.conf accordingly

This is supposed to be FRIENDLY gnu/linux general thread.

Actually you know what might work even better?
Try this:

Terminus

By removing the "tests" I bet that will just catch all fonts, so literally everything will be Terminus and you shouldn't even need to change any other applications settings

Thanks

Bump. Anyone?

I'm trying to install GNU Make and on the install instructions, it says to:
`cd' to the directory containing the package's source code and type `./configure' to configure the package for your system.
On the terminal I type cd /home/Downloads/make-4.2 but it says no such file or directory.
Any ideas? I also tried using sudo -i first to go into root

Without Ubuntu the whole Linux community and ecosystem would be decades behind and most of you wouldn't even be here.

find

can't you get it from your distro's package manager? there's little reason to build it from source especially if you're not familiar with building programs
you can probably do "open in terminal" from your favorite file manager in the directory you have the sources in
>/home/Downloads
this is missing your username, it should be /home/yourusername/Downloads or just ~/Downloads

Mark Shuttleworth has done more for Linux than Stallman ever could.

You can configure the CPU frequency with cpufreqd.

What is the most user friendly version of Debian?

Attached: 2019-01-09-142913_321x603_scrot.png (321x603, 55K)

kek

My brand new fucking 860 EVO is throwing these errors. I was not even using the drive when these were generated(its solely a backup drive) There is no errors in SMART data. What does this mean? Using 4.20.3
ata5.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0xff0fffff SErr 0x0 action 0x6
ata5.00: irq_stat 0x40000008
ata5.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
ata5.00: cmd 60/00:c0:a0:fc:b9/02:00:00:00:00/40 tag 24 ncq dma 262144 in
res 41/84:00:a0:fc:b9/00:02:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x410 (ATA bus error)
ata5.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
ata5.00: error: { ICRC ABRT }
ata5: hard resetting link
ata5: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 320)
ata5.00: supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible
ata5.00: supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible
ata5.00: configured for UDMA/133
sd 5:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#24 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
sd 5:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#24 Sense Key : Aborted Command [current]
sd 5:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#24 Add. Sense: Scsi parity error
sd 5:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#24 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 00 b9 fc a0 00 02 00 00
print_req_error: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 12188832
ata5: EH complete
ata5.00: Enabling discard_zeroes_data

xfce has always just werked for me but you may find it a bit bland looking

Debian isnt really a user friendly distro.
Its more of a distro that lets you set things up the way you want

Anyone know how to install system monitor?
I didn't have it at first so I tried installing GNOME System Monitor and now I have this, but I can't click on it.

Attached: save.jpg (356x102, 6K)

How do I get it from the package manager? I'm on ubuntu and I don't see it from the software app.

Run it from terminal and see what it tells you, then search that shit.

Never understood this argument. How is using Google captcha a reason to lose all hope and go full botnet? Why compare it to a program like discord that collects everything you say, write and which programs you're running?

Torrent all of them and try them. You have to get used to be able to decide by yourself.

which de and video player?

If i use runlevel3.target all the time will i get respect?

Shill me your favorite ultra lite distro