Whats your experience with co-workers Jow Forums?

Whats your experience with co-workers Jow Forums?

How often do they share your hobbies?

I've often been shocked how professional programmers actually hate computers and like sports, cars and other well typically not nerd hobbies

Attached: vdowl438xgi01.jpg (500x671, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kslnewsradio.com/1896300/video-games-market/
eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/01/new-stats-reveals-video-games-as-largest-market-in-uk-entertainment-sales/
google.com/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2018-01-31-games-industry-generated-usd108-4bn-in-revenues-in-2017
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Whats your experience with co-workers Jow Forums?
You need to be more specific.

>How often do they share your hobbies?
Rarely.

>I've often been shocked how professional programmers actually hate computers and like sports, cars and other well typically not nerd hobbies
Why would you be shocked by this? I work with crappy software, broken tools and fixing bugs for retarded customers day in and day out, why would I want to do this on my spare time as well when I don't get paid for it? I need to disconnect and do something else when I work 40-50 hours a week with this.

>I've often been shocked how professional programmers actually hate computers and like sports, cars and other well typically not nerd hobbies
you shouldn't be, it hasn't been a nerd job for about a decade
everyone heard that's where the cash is, so everyone that wanted to aspire to "have a high paying job" went there instead of the previous field

Software development hasn't been a nerd job since the early 80s.

t. literal boomer

When I read posts like this I wonder if you people have never left basement or are just this clueless.
When you compare software dev to basically any other profession you will see significantly more spergs by average. Yes, there are chads and normal people working software dev, but you still see plenty of autists around. Compare any software dev team with business focused team with in any company and its plain as day.

>When I read posts like this I wonder if you people have never left basement or are just this clueless.
Fuck off.

>When you compare software dev to basically any other profession you will see significantly more spergs by average
Yes, but even spergs have other interests and are social creatures (only a bit awkward). Just because you're somewhere on the autistic spectrum, doesn't mean that you're a full-blown piss bottle autist.

>Compare any software dev team with business focused team with in any company and its plain as day.
See above.

I'm pretty awkward and would probably have mild Asperger's syndrome if I was diagnosed as a kid today rather than 30 years ago, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy stuff like skiing, playing music and nice cars. In fact, being mildly sperg-like means that I'm probably even more devoted to my hobbies than "normies".

tl;dr spergs can sperg about other things than computers

No but like on my last job we played Boardgames, DnD, TCG and shit...

Everyone was more or less familiar with shit like Star Trek, Star Wars, Dune, Various anime...

So it comes as a shock sometimes when I'm rented to another company and it's like sports people all of them...

I enjoy both DnD, can cite several klingon phrases by heart, and enjoy watching soccer matches (as well as playing them). Be more well-rounded, user.

I like to tell co-workers about anime without letting them know I'm talking about anime and then tell them oh btw its a cartoon just to see the look on their face.

Well I agree, but they were like reallybig sporties with no nerdy hobies at all.

Well most of them had children and realistically had no time for any hobbies except posts.

>When you compare software dev to basically any other profession you will see significantly more spergs by average.
i mean i see significantly more physically disabled than other non-customer facing fields
but that's about it

>Well most of them had children and realistically had no time for any hobbies
This is my experience too.

Well.... meh, I actually see lots of people uninterested in programming, that go to computer science and other computer fields... and its a bit meh to see that

>Why don't doctors do surgery on their free time?
>Why don't bus drivers drive a bus on their free time?
>Why don't sales people sell things on their free time?
>Why don't grocery packers pack groceries on their free time?
>Why don't bell boys carry stuff on their free time?

Well videogames are right now the most profitable and popular medium for relaxation surpassing music and movies in say the UK.

So you'd expect people to be interested in video games.

Video games are usually why people get into programing in the first place.

>Well videogames are right now the most profitable and popular medium for relaxation surpassing music and movies in say the UK.
Source?

>Video games are usually why people get into programing in the first place.
I enjoy playing them, I don't like discussing them.

>Video games are usually why people get into programing in the first place.
Fuck, no it isn't.

I play videogames.

Yet software developers are expected to program on their spare time so that they'd have a portfolio of open-source shit to show when they inevitably get laid off due to executives gutting an entire division on a whim because some management book said they should or something.

> Video games are usually why people get into programing in the first place.

Can confirm, and fuck ye it is. Why would I randomly learn programming?

Not him but if you go by revenues videogames do rake in more money than music and films.

I learned programming because my dad taught me how to do it.

But that's because the numbers include stuff like mobile gaming. Of course, I'm going to play a game on my phone on the bus ride home, but at home I'd much rather watch a film or binge watch a series than firing up my computer in order to play.

kslnewsradio.com/1896300/video-games-market/
eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/01/new-stats-reveals-video-games-as-largest-market-in-uk-entertainment-sales/

Mobile game revenue is included, but even if you only count PC and console games they still make more money than the film and music industry.

Appreciate it. I guess the revenue numbers are skewed by zoomers that play Fortnite though.

Forgot the pic

Attached: PlaygigaX2016XrevenuesXcomparisonXchart-768x705.jpg (768x705, 32K)

They are indeed.

Job Interview:
Wheres you git what did you do?

Me:
Well I worked on this and this project, the git is obviously on the company server and the project is closed source.

Job Interview:
Well can you prove you can actually code good?

Attached: Impostor.jpg (1080x1350, 180K)

>digital sales
Does this mean streaming services?

I work in a NOC. All they talk about is football. There's one chubby nerdy guy in his 50s that is really cute old nerd. We're both pretty friendly, I wonder if he know I have a crush on him.

Stuff like Netflix you mean? I'm not sure honestly, I think they mean stuff like blu-rays or movies bought online.

Going to the cinema to watch a movie is about as retarded as going to the arcade to play a new game.
Why can't I stream new movies at home? Why is that industry so fucking retarded

>that pic
WAIT HOLD ON

>Stuff like Netflix you mean?
Yeah, I'd imagine that subscription payments to Netflix, HBO etc. far surpasses box office sales.

Didn't they say that Bird Box thing was just as watched as Black Panther, but that doesn't help them because if it was actually in the Cinema maybe 10% of the people would have gone to see it.

But but it was a super recommended Christmas Movie on netflix for "free"

Because they literally want to sell you popcorn and soda. As well as them movie for 5 times what they should.

Ticket prices in my Eastern European city where like 3€ per movie in the old threaters. Popcorn was 0.5€

Now a big cineshit multiplex came drove the old cinemas out of business and now tickets cost 6€ and popcorn costs 2€

Attached: per.jpg (225x225, 8K)

Well from what I can see in 2017 Netflix made about 12 billions and HBO 5 billions, while PC games alone made more than 30 billions, so I guess they're still bigger, if you don't combine them with movies.

>google.com/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2018-01-31-games-industry-generated-usd108-4bn-in-revenues-in-2017

Thanks for the link

Just charge to stream at home the cost of the ticket. Only the cinema gets the popcorn money.

Would you really pay that much per movie? I woudn't.

Not him, but I would. I'd actually pay more, just to avoid going to the cinemas and having the luxury of streaming it at home and pausing when I want, rewatch it etc.

So if programming at hone isn't a nerd job anymore then what nerd jobs are left? Staying at home collecting disability money?

Well I've seen some real weirdos at stuff like defcon so maybe cybsec.

Cinemas used to exist for poor people to view entertainment. Now everyone has a home cinema setup, there's no excuse.

>what nerd jobs are left?
Astrophysicist or theoretical physicists.

So what are your hobbies Jow Forums? I mainly play videogames.

Probably actual researchers.

I play in a band.
I like to tinker with hobby electronics.
Sometimes I do software projects, but that's not so often.
I enjoy hiking and skiing (downhill and crosscountry/mountain).
I brew beer with some buddies.
I've done kickboxing and wrestling in the past, but not any more.

Video games mostly.
After that I watch TV series, movies and anime.

I bought a Sony A6300 in Japan to go make nature photos. I do that sometimes.

I've been trying to get into modeling for years now but I lack space and I'm too lazy to make space.

>playing games and watching TV as a hobby

Yes got a problem with that?

Attached: ohayou__renge_miyauchi_by_lonethunderwolf-d7pz1pm.png (594x500, 143K)

I do those things too, but I wouldn't call them a hobby (see ). I guess they technically would qualify as hobbies, but if that's pretty much all you do then I don't think you're leading a very exiting life desu senpai.

I work in military in IT. Made friends with an operator, has been in the army for about 8 years now since 18. Looks and acts like chad but is a total fucking weeb and yellow fever fag. Genuinely spends his holidays in Japan, comes back from akihabara with shit loads of figures.

Anime should be banned.

>A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time. Hobbies can include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements.

Textbook definition of a hobby.

That man sounds like a great person. Tell him someone on Jow Forums complimented his great taste.

Living the military otaku dream.

He's a great person but it's a total waste of his looks and personality imo.
Managed to get him into rallying though.

Some playing exapunks or making some huge model/circuit in minecraft is about the same as you playing with hobby electronics.

Countless games like this come to my mind. From Factorio to Rimworld to modding for these games...

this types of people produce shitty software, they simply don't have feel for it

>tfw work in non IT related stuff but know more networking stuff than your actual IT staff co worker

Attached: Dv07LidV4AAg0DP.jpg (614x401, 43K)

>Some playing exapunks or making some huge model/circuit in minecraft is about the same as you playing with hobby electronics.
Not him, but is this what zoomers actually believe?

Attached: zoomer-dance1.jpg (1024x5123, 456K)

Honesty I wish I had a more normal hobby instead of watching anime or video games. Sure its more normal and kinda accepted now but still when your peers are talking about sports I kinda felt left out.

>I've often been shocked how professional programmers actually hate computers

How is this surprising, computers are trash