Opus

>be the single most efficient audio codec
>99% of the music/audio players don't support you
why the fuck is this? you could implement opus support in 10 seconds.

Attached: wY7o0.png (4464x2537, 310K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Opus
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5718
download.lineageos.org/i9300
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>no advertising
>no lobbying
>no patents
(unbelievably iOS does support it but only for Siri, check the system logs before reporting a bug if you're running a beta)

Blackplayer on Android supports it, and mobile is the only time where I convert my .flac into anything else.

>in a perfect parallel universe
>filesystem is bcachefs
>lossless audio is flac only
>lossy+streaming audio is opus only
>all video encoded with av2 (with fully implemented daala experimental tools)
>the only real competition for images is between a fully developed flif and avif

we will never have nice things

Everything can play opus, stop lying

Pretty sure he meant standalone audio players. Only those with Rockbox-support can, and there's only like one model still being made that is compatible.

All of android 7+ supports it you retard but in .ogg not .opus

>using a lossy audio codec
For what purpose?

>opus
incredibly tinny no matter what bitrate you put it at. only sounds decent on the discord meme because they apply an EQ that inverts the bass and treble.
>mp4aac
very bassy, very nice. sounds good even at 128kbps. can go up to 500kbps if you just want to half the bitrate of a lossless track and retain most of the fidelity.
>mp3
literally only good for pop music, even then its not good. 192 and lower introduces sibilance. sounds okay at 320, but not good. Deserves to stay in the 90s.

I guess you could say all opus and no play makes jack a dull socket!

I can't tell the difference

What did you say?

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (3700x1920, 1.7M)

>mpv as a music player
based

Every media player I use supports it, the real trouble is finding good software that can encode into it.

What is mp4aac? You mean (HE-)AAC?
Also I have a hard time believing that one codec sounds better than another while only using half the bitrate. That sounds as outlandish as Microsoft's claims about WMA.

That's fucking retarded

ok retard

>Lincoln park

Forgot to mention that I'm indeed an audiopedophile, my cables are 1m thick so you can be sure that my test results are accurate

.ogg is the correct name anyway. .opus is literally a crutch we only need because retarded ass developers assume .ogg is always a Vorbis stream, when it's in fact a container format for both Vorbis and Opus.
>audio formats apply an EQ
what retarded encoder are you using, also do you have any records or knowledge of mental problems?

>0.001% of all audio is in opus
>hurr why doesn't anyone support this

google, facebook, discord and every voip service uses opus, I think that's significant enough to warrant recognition.

As true as that may be the vast majority of recorded audio is still not encoded in opus, it is encoded in either aac or mpeg3.

mp3* (I sometimes forget the designations are actually different)

ffmpeg

It was just an example
I use AIMP on pc btw

I can't decide whatever you are, a troll or a natural retard

you are trying too hard to disagree. Stop pretending.

nice bait

>118kbps
>162kbps

if you download from YT you would get better bitrate. not joking.

128kbps OPUS files sound literally transparent. You don't need "muh kbps" to have transparent audio anymore.

your dick is transparent.
spectrograms don't lie moron.

But you can't hear spectrograms "moron". 320kbps mp3 and 320kbps aac files appear different on spek but sound the same
Do an abx test you absolute ignorant. 128kbps opus vs gazillion kbps flac.

sure you can hear spectrograms, if something is there you can hear it, well maybe not properly but if its there its being reproduced. When something is not there its gone. like your brain.

It is if you download youtube audio via youtube-dl like me :^). I'll take opus quality over 320 kbps mp3 any day

2005 called, they want their bitrates back.

poor fag cant buy drives for lossless so he uses opus.

>Using lossy when storage has never been so cheap

>Thinking people use opus for storage space.
You are REQUIRED to keep the source because they constantly optimise the compression techniques.

if your gfx card was an optimised opus you could only play roguelike games.

>he doesn't mirror his lossless music library in different formats

Well, technically you are right. You can hear things above 20khz. But you can't perceive them.

Stoo using spectrograms as a the-end-of-all-problems for audio.

5% disk space saved isnt enough to support a freetard niche codec.
note that in places where it actually matters like streaming it is used e.g. discord or telegram voice chat

the PS Vita doesn't support it

Android 9.0 (finally) supports .opus files natively, so Phonograph does too. :)

THIS.

i have a huge 4tb + lossless hi-res 24bit / dsd library and proper DSD DAP but i transcoded it all down to 96k opus 1.2 and shoved it on my iphone 6s and play it with foobar 2000 when excerscising and riding. Its fucking great.

Attached: 1eac6ce98a0a460151329c35e38dc66f.jpg (800x450, 80K)

Does it prevent rotational velocidensity?

Let me help you:
opusenc (official, ships with opus-tools)
ffmpeg (has own implementation of opusenc)

At least foobar2000 and MusicBee encode with opusenc giving it easy gui frontend. Handbrake supports encoding to Opus.

Attached: 1515853852361.png (335x344, 156K)

btw Hydrogenaudio says 160kbps is transparent while 96kbps is approaching. I use 128kbps as middle point for music and video and 32kbps for spoken audio.

wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Opus

Android (Lineage) supports it, but barely.
Playing it isn't the issue I have, it's that media players can't parse the fucking tags properly.

based autist dac

ahem
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Attached: 1540018899796.jpg (190x250, 10K)

>media players can't parse the fucking tags properly
ogg containers are store their tags a little differently. Instead of being stored directly in the AVFormatContext as an AVDictionary, it's stored in the first stream as an AVDictionary. It's super easy to write an exception for it so, those devs are just lazy as fuck.

That article is completely right, but it's usually still worth it to buy high-res music when it's a remaster and the the CD master is compressed loudness war garbage.

The sound quality increase has absolutely nothing to do with the bits or sample rate though, you could downsample them to CD quality afterwards and it wouldn't make any difference.

There are tons of high-res CDs that are still compressed to shit. It's 100% a meme. The best thing you can do is buy old CD pressings from the 80s and early 90s.

This

dude i listen to 16bit downsamples in lossy opus on my phone im not sperging out. its mainly about having original masters that haven't been diddled with

This guy gets it. But even modern hi-res DR12 releases have something shady going on. I got this super rare reel to reel tape DSD rip of wish you were here that should not exist and it destroys the "Immersion 2016 Box Set Bluray Ultimate master"

Attached: 98761b1cb6fe9fc0c5fefe2a35460827.jpg (500x375, 62K)

Youtube offers opus audio. I stream via mpv+youtube-dl and the audio is opus.

so based and redpilled, yet so underrated.

Attached: 1546765733806.jpg (720x552, 64K)

>sounds exactly the same
How is such a thing even possible? I'm being conservative on the bitrate, too (only because the DTS isn't lossless-core).

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-09_20-45-31.png (590x362, 14K)

Even MP3 is transparent at around 192kb/s my dude

>freetard niche codec
ah, like FLAC

Anons, what is the most efficient bitrate for opus, im thinking of encoding some of my flac collection into opus. youtube-dl has these streams by default
>50k opus (offers surprisingly good quality for such a low file size)
>70k
>110k
>160k
What do you suggest?

Attached: 1546962755303.png (657x525, 24K)

112 kbps VBR.

E-Eh? But user isnt opus vbr by default, also why 112k

Opus is VBR by default, but I'm just clarifying. 112 kbps is very near-transparent.

it's not efficient at all

it uses a fuckton of computing power, which is important in mobile

also it doesn't support 44.1khz, which is what audio is recorded at

yep i totally agree im totally autismo and did some very careful listening before i did a big library transcode. 96k i still heard some compression cues 112k was very near transparent

>it's not efficient at all
>it uses a fuckton of computing power, which is important in mobile
More efficient than AAC.
>also it doesn't support 44.1khz, which is what audio is recorded at
Modern audio is mastered and recorded at 48 kHz, and opus will automatically up-sample content that isn't.

Attached: images.png (287x176, 3K)

192kbps opus is overkill
it's basically transparent at 128kbps, and most people can't tell at 96kbps

this is also what i came up with
24kbps is fine for commentary/voice tracks

>it uses a fuckton of computing power, which is important in mobile
thats because you use a $50 chinkphone from 2011
see, also most lossy codecs dont support anything above 20kHz

This is not a perfect world

Attached: 1546508014678.jpg (447x453, 69K)

resampling artifacts are nothing compared to what lossy encoding does to the audio
48kHz makes a bunch of stuff simpler, so does supporting only one rate

But anons why do we still use bitrates like 64k, 96k,128k etc? Isn't it arbitrary leftovers from the days of LAME encodes? Is there any difference from using say 50, 75 or 100kbps bitrates?

Attached: 1546541350909.png (1000x1214, 473K)

>But anons why do we still use bitrates like 64k, 96k,128k etc?
There are 8 bits in a byte. Although the bitrates are in fact, arbitrary, computer scientists like 8-multiple numbers for this reason. Also makes calculations easy, a 96 kb/s audio file of 60 seconds would be 720 KiB.

>112 kbps is very near-transparent.
For how many channels? What about 5.1? I use 320kbps

*shrug* Works for the players I use on both Windows and Android. I am looking to get a dedicated audio player, though, so making sure I can use opus on it will be important.

96k opus sound the same as 192k aac to me

>Lincoln

Opus is used where it matters: voip/internet streaming. For music, AAC is better anyway.
Also, can you name 1 (ONE) non-shit app that does not support Opus? All the relevant ones (foobar, mpv, vlc...) support it.

what's better about AAC, just out of curiosity? I'm trying to pick a lossy format to convert my flac library to for portable application.

1. It's been around for a long time, so it's better tested and has fewer problematic samples.
2. Supports 44.1k.
3. Faster decoding (uses less battery).
4. Better support in "dumb" devices (car radios...).

In terms of quality it's usually the same. At around 128k they're both transparent, at least if you're not using some shitty AAC encoder. I recommend either the iTunes (probably the best) or the Winamp encoder. You can use them both with Foobar, without having to install those programs.

Also, if gapless playback is very important you can consider Vorbis too, because it's the best of lossy codecs in that regard. But in terms of general quality it's not as good. It's somewhere between Opus/AAC and MP3, transparent around 160k.

>fewer problematic samples
wouldn't disagree with that
>44.1k
pretty irrelevant since upsampling doesn't destroy information
>faster decoding
opus is a format. You can program your own faster codec library if you really want to. Right now, the reference decoder is the only thing we have for opus.
>better support in dumb devices
being around for a while, it's not surprise that AAC has gotten decoding ASICs designed for it

I've been using Xrecode II, I don't know how that stacks up for encoding but it has worked well for me so far. Faster decoding is a pretty big deal for me as battery life is honestly the biggest reason I insist on using lossy for portable (filesize being the obvious close second). I'll try encoding some stuff and do some ABX test between aac and opus in f2k.

>opus is a format. You can program your own faster codec library if you really want to. Right now, the reference decoder is the only thing we have for opus.
Fair enough, I'm just saying how I see it in practice on my Android phone (using Foobar). It will probably be the same in most cases right now.

>battery life is honestly the biggest reason I insist on using lossy
Lossy isn't necessarily more efficient. In fact, I just tried testing a FLAC file and it beat AAC in decoding speed.
Reading files from storage probably uses battery too, though...

that section is outdated, it's shit from like 2011, 2014 and version 1.1
opus is transparent at 64 kbps, might even be 56, not sure about 48-32, not lower than that

>ffmpeg (has own implementation of opusenc)
It should be noted that they currently have a problem with some surround sound configurations.
trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5718

>Xrecode II
IDK what it uses, maybe it's good. But if you're autistic; Foobar + qaac + iTunes installer + makeportable would set you up pretty fast, assuming you're at least familiar with Foobar's converter.

>opus is transparent at 64 kbps
Not for music, unless you mean 64k per channel.

>More efficient than AAC.
What is this chart even? Also I wouldn't call FAAC a good representative for AAC.

might as well buy a 250 GB sd card and store everything in FLAC than to sit there screwing around with software support and continously having to compress to different formats.
Nowadays such a sd card is much much cheaper and using opus becomes far less necessary

The extension designates the container used. You don't name your movies capeshit.hevc

This is what mental illness looks like, everyone.

ffmpeg also has issues with embedding album art in ogg containers

It's not open source

Works out of the box on Android 6 or higher.
I'm playing OGG opus files on my SGS6 running Nougat.
It's time to let that Galaxy S3 go, user.

>Works out of the box on Android 6 or higher.
>It's time to let that Galaxy S3 go, user.
download.lineageos.org/i9300

>dude lol 44.1 is better than 192khz
>dude lol digital aliasing doesn't exist
>dude lol staricase effect is not existent and 16 bit converted to analog is the same as a continuous wave
>dude lol the human ear and other irrelevant tangents
I really can't stand misinformation like this

i like that album too user

Playing opus on poweramp uses %3 of my 1.6GHz galaxy s4 (2013) cpu