Desktop thread - fresh/new/revived edition

Desktop thread - fresh/new/revived edition.
Going forward, OPs of desktop threads should provide some sort of prompt for discussion.
Today's discussion will be: minimalism vs full-featuredism. Which side does your desktop take and why?

Even if your opinion is wrong, being able to speak to your choices strengthens your bond with your desktop and allows others to better reflect on their own desktops, improving overall desktop quality in the desktop threads.

Attached: desktopthreadtroll.jpg (1366x1700, 1.39M)

I'd like to say my desktop is minimal. I prefer a minimalist setup because it feels organised and looks nice. All features that I need for my workflow don't need to be shown at all times.

Attached: Artix_Desktop2.png (1920x1080, 1.2M)

Honestly I don't mind having the stock bar, I think is more than enough for my needs.

Attached: 2019-01-09-103943_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 894K)

Why do you think it's a good/nice idea to waste space with gaps on such a low resolution screen?

imagine thinking the desktop in the bottom is minimal

I literally don't feel like fucking all around to accomplish something that's already available. everything works fine and good on my computer and I can do other things now like listen to shitty music on youtube and post on 4channel

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-01-09 11-43-54.png (1366x768, 301K)

What's a good terminal colorscheme that doesn't get old too quickly? I'm so damn tired of solarized...

obviously, minimalism. graphically at least.
functionality tho is all at the fingertips through shortcuts.
But I do need to get more memory.

you should really reduce those gaps and borders to a few pixels.

Attached: scrot.png (1600x900, 700K)

Status bars are bloat.

Attached: clean.png (1280x800, 1.42M)

Console + any decent twm is a god-based combination. Have tried many distro's and combinations, but always come back to Arch + i3. Though 14" screen is not enough, looking into buying 15 or 17 inch laptop soon.

use pywal.

Attached: Jan09::193218.png (1366x768, 62K)

Realized this too today.
Most of the time yes, except for giving the time.

Attached: 1546701494260.jpg (550x800, 51K)

BASED torvalds in the bugs bunny tshirt

> use pywal
I used to have scripts that automatically themed everything according to pywal, which randomly chose a wallpaper from my huge collection, on every boot. That got old too.

minimal looks better to me.
nice colors.
cool colors and bar.

Attached: scrot_2019-01-09-36_1366x768.png (1366x768, 600K)

What browser?

ffESR 52.9.0 but waterfox can look the same.

good colors, good terminal, comfy
9/10 simply due to personal preference

8/10
can't see shit when terminal is this transparent. default i3 bar

8/10
comfy

8/10
good except colors and workspace labels

>le minimalism
4/10
cringe

9/10
only time i3bar doesn't look like shit

10/10
comfy af

also, reposting mine

Attached: scap.png (1366x768, 185K)

Thanks. Would you kindly point me in the right direction at least as how to rice waterfox?

okay here's some actual serious objective feedback:

6/10 ok
- no margins or padding anywhere except your bar
+ decent color scheme
+ bar is simple and easy to look at => good

2/10 total trash
- absolute lack of understanding of colors
- low effort bloated bar
- bad use of transparency

3/10 bad
- white background terminal
- desktop icons (wtf is going on with the vms)
- wallpaper doesn't match your screen resolution

6/10 ok
+ decent colors, easy to the eye
+ bar has a lot of shit but it's small enough not to be annoying, good use of icons

4/10 bad
- the combination of your shitty font and your letterSpace triggers me to no end
- not much is shown, looks low effort

4/10 bad
- shitty font for terminal, iosevka wasn't meant to be used with such a small size
- actually even shittier font for your bar, generic sans-serif shit
+ color scheme is generic tier pastel but it works

8/10 an actually interesting rice with a good taste for visuals
+ small sized font that was actually meant to be used with small sizes, makes everything look clean (though it's a matter of taste)
+ margins & gaps slightly reveal the colors of your wallpaper which matches your wm's colors neatly
+ great Jow Forums css
+ stellar use of icons in your bar, icons as workspace labels work great because they take up the least space
+ thinkpad & herbstluftwm user, hell yes
- could make the battery icon be a half empty one when the battery is half empty

4/10 bad
- high saturation colors hurt your eyes in the long term
- learn to rice your bar, use icons instead of fucking "-

r/firefoxcss is unironically a good resource

OP here btw, I prefer having access to lots of functionality.
Minimalism is dead in the age of overpowered PCs

Attached: 2019-01-09-140646_6400x1440_scrot.png (6400x1440, 1.45M)

Minimalism for the sake of minimalism achieves nothing and is generally detrimental to the experience and productivity of the user. The same could be said for Maximalism. Too much information makes it difficult to focus on what deserves the user's attention at that time just as too little requires additional input from the user to achieve the same goal.

A well-balanced UI is one that shows exactly the amount of information the user wants to see at that point in time. No more, no less.

Anyways,
The OOZ - King Krule
Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualized
Person Pitch - Panda Bear
(10/10 btw)
Fall Fall Falling - Dead Letters Spell Out Dead Words

Attached: 2018-12-21-177562_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.31M)

make your own
don't use pywal

How did you get ranger to preview an image at full term width like that?

but they do not conflict at all and you can have both at once

Attached: screenshot_20190109_152103.png (1024x768, 575K)

Jus reposting, I'm lazy
Looks cool
Stock, but functional
Aesthetics game is on point
Minimalist, I like it
Nice colours
Post browser config, that looks really good and I want to do that as well

Forgot the pic

Attached: screenfetch.png (1366x768, 947K)

it looks nice

Attached: 2019-01-09-212545_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 321K)

You have an autistic taste, maybe going out sometimes will help you

I like the thiccness of the terminal fonts

debloat yourself

Attached: 2019-01-09-212637_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 794K)

>10/10
>comfy af
thanks.
look into userchrome.css
>8/10 an actually interesting rice with a good taste for visuals
thank you! the battery icon does go to half when it hits 50% and shows as empty when it hits 15% wish this siji icon had more than full, half, and empty.
>(10/10 btw)
thanks. u have a great rice too.
the i-key is set to display_file.
>Nice colours
thanks.

Attached: 2019-01-09-215026_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 2.28M)

>10/10
>comfy af
thanks.
look into userchrome.css
>8/10 an actually interesting rice with a good taste for visuals
thank you! the battery icon does go to half when it hits 50% and shows as empty when it hits 15% wish this siji icon had more than full, half, and empty.
>(10/10 btw)
thanks. u have a great rice too.
the i-key is set to display_file.
>Nice colours
thanks.

Attached: 2019-01-09-145215_336x45_scrot.png (336x45, 4K)

Attached: debate.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

Freshly installed, still working on it.

Attached: 2019-01-09-190023_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 847K)

AM I MINIMUL YET GUIZ

Attached: 2019-01-07-1546893342.png (1366x768, 1.66M)

artix is pretty decent

Attached: 2018-12-29-1546135971.png (1366x768, 826K)

Honest question to people who posts these desktops. What do things look like when you're actually working on something?

>MINIMUL
> Having a computer at all

Attached: dwm-2019-01-07_23.54.26.webm (854x480, 2.53M)

I have screens open with the stuff I'm working on. What does your desktop look like when you're working on something?

I just want a environment tailored to my interest.
Extemes are silly

Attached: D57AF495-E2B7-40A4-B7EC-1A7B4F1A6076.png (1920x1080, 1.45M)

5/10 passable
looks very corporate but you use smooth colors and using a DE is convenient. I'd recommend organizing your windows better so you don't have to switch between them all the time

9/10 godly rice
+ choice of wallpapers for your desktop and browser gives the impression I'm looking at a renaissance style house's interior wall when they're superimposed, a wallpaper looking good over another wallpaper is not something I see very often, that alone would make your rice a 7/10 even if the rest was trash
+ again, proper shadow use makes your windows look like paintings hung on a wall
+ your css's subtleties make it great: the thin as ice line below the post info, the all caps font in the "quick reply". your high padding is notorious
+ the rest is obvious: terminus is probably the sharpest 10px bitmap font, every single color makes sense except one which i'll point out below
- not too happy with the wifi signal's blue in the bars, darker&less saturation could be an improvement, but i'm being extremely picky here

6/10 this is looking fresh
+ interesting fonts, they are neatly rendered and the kana is cool
+ cold colors with pastel accents, pleasant to the eye
+ i don't know what's going on with the two squares at the top corners of your windows but i'm into it
+ you deserve credit for the smallest bar ever

4.5/10 it's cute but that isn't enough
- you need to work on your colors, cyan over vista blue is definitely not okay (though it could work in some fantasy/childish color scheme, but it's not the case). then the darker blue font is even worse
- not a fan of round fonts but they can be good - in any case, change the one you're using

6.5/10 solid rice
+ inconsolata used properly, thanks for making it bold
+ colors just werk
+ extra .5 for the funny dunst notification

4.5/10 simple is nice, but not enough
- small size inconsolata looks bad
- i3bar's default workspace icons are bad

Eat shit tripfag pay to post retard.

wuncon siji actually has a shitload of battery icons, the ones you can see in this pic go from U+E236 to U+E254 and there's even more, use a character map to find them

Attached: icons.png (744x21, 1014)

I'm gay

How do you make inconsolata look like that?

kek

I don't give a shit about minimalism, I just want my PC to work, which is why I don't use Windows or bleeding edge distros.
I like this.
>A well-balanced UI is one that shows exactly the amount of information the user wants to see at that point in time. No more, no less.
Based. Also, I love your rice.
c o m f y a n d a e s t h e t i c p i l l e d

Attached: 2019-01-09-160641_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.65M)

Attached: GbxjH7O.png (1366x768, 309K)

yeah i know, i just wish this one i have had variety like the ones u posted after the dwm icons. in my opinion the first two are the best looking icons, but they only have the full, half, and empty.

>6.5/10 solid rice
thanks for the review user
make it bold

Functionally these are equivalent
I'll tally them up
Minimalist

Maximalist

both ugly as fuck

be gentle

Attached: 00:12:37-10-01-2019-screenshot.jpg (1600x900, 460K)

could you please post Jow Forums css? I can't figure out property names for some things to change color like quick reply window

nice colors and cool bar.
nice colors and file manager.
great bar.
nice n clean rice.

Attached: Screenshot (21).png (1920x1080, 268K)

thank you.
i had inspiration in this. whoever you are, thank you for inspiring me.

Attached: 1545371685156.png (1024x576, 315K)

In not doing much it's just a cat

no problem, thats cool! im this guy this is my win machine. nice rice, looks very comfy, i have a few of ur scrots saved. they always have nice wallpapers + colorschemes.
lol, mines on the max side too.

oh wow, you're a herbslut too :D
your rices are just perfect. nice bar, nice subdued colors, nice minimalist browser interface (is that firefox?)
i wanted to stay away from hlwm (and you're using debian as well), but couldn't. the only thing it lacks, as far as i'm concerned, is keyboard controls to resize floating windows.

nice color schemes? thank you very much (hard to believe someone recognizes me on an anonymous board). you're probably thinking of this:

Attached: 08:17:20-09-02-2018-screenshot.jpg (1366x768, 531K)

nice setup.
just wondering, did you ever purge kernel bloat on your debian box?

Really happy with this. In the process of organizing 3 harddrives so I have clutter everywhere

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-09 16-08-39.png (1920x1200, 3.34M)

>your rices are just perfect. nice bar, nice subdued colors, nice minimalist browser interface (is that firefox?)
thanks. nice light theme. yeah its ffESR 52.9.0 but my waterfox looks the same.
>i wanted to stay away from hlwm (and you're using debian as well), but couldn't. the only thing it lacks, as far as i'm concerned, is keyboard controls to resize floating windows.
yeah resizing with mod and right click will have to do. i wish you could move floating windows with the keyboard. and i wish single floating window was possible while tiling. someone wrote a script for it, but im to lazy to figure it out.
do u mean delete my old kernels? net install?

I personally enjoy minimalism in practice but a cluttered desktop can be cool if there's a use case or consistent theme to it.

Attached: yawn.png (1366x768, 686K)

PLEASE give Lain

>xterm
I'll let it slide if you tell me what are the other imageboards you're browsing

>do u mean delete my old kernels? net install?

No i mean, removing bloat from the debian kernel.

Great to see some Godspeed. What font?

no i havent

girl in the bottom left is cute what's her name

I prefer minimalism, but I draw the line when something is so minimal it starts sacrificing useful functionality for a relatively tiny reduction in its footprint.

Attached: 2019-01-09-110136_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 363K)

>manjaro
>minimalism
no

Baffles me how some people are using something other than xfce or a twm. Enjoy the bloat faggots

I like their package retention policy, it offers a kind of stability you can't get with Arch Linux.

Seeing as you're probably not new, you should realize by now that you can remove any excess bloat in a distribution easily. I have a lot of packages in my system because I also do audio production, which means close to a couple of hundred packages just for lv2 and ladspa plugins alone, not counting everything that's needed for ladish and Ardour.

Retard its lainchan

Having to explicitly debloat an OS defies minimalism itself.

No it doesn't, minimalism is a design principle, it has nothing to do with the labour required to achieve that principle. It is far easier to start with a base and reduce it than it is to slowly and painfully configure every single little thing from scratch.

>no i haven
snoopy here. do you have any issues with high cpu temps when you watch youtube videos? i have integrated intel gpu

My desktop has many features and it's still not those ugly rainmeter spam things

Not all in the screenshot but:
weather
anime girl holding album art
todolist
Music controls
Anime girl in file manager
Anime girl with speech bubble to say notifications
changing colorscheme on context
Intrinsic anime girl ELO ranking system

Like apart from just spamming dials and graphs everywhere what features do desktops even have?

Attached: 1546389377403.png (3000x2000, 2.32M)

Enjoy being poor cuck

Nice desktop

Attached: Screenshot (7).png (1920x1080, 1.09M)

What are that icon theme?

>xfce
Enjoy your abandonware, idiot. Cinnamon is the patrician's choice

i get high 40s to mid 50s. it only gets really high when i have a bunch of youtube tabs open. what are your temps like?
thank u.

no youtube, same as you, around 50, but as soon as i start watching a video in a web browser, it goes up to 75.

A rice in tribute to my late neko. My desktop is fully featured because anything (be it WM or DE) besides Plasma 5, something GNOME 3 based, or MATE, are asinine with HiDPI scaling. It's also due to a fetish for Plasma 5. For the expanse of features it offers, it feels like it should be WAY more bloated; the fact that I can have eye-candy fancier than pretty much all other DE's and seldom reach 1.5gb of RAM with non-graphically intensive use is titillating. Kwin also is the best x compositor from my experience, and their implementation of Wayland gets better every release. This is important since I do a lot of graphics work
I'd be using Artix right now if my lappy didn't seethe with anything that isn't Debian based. Nice color consistency, 8/10
Stock is decent enough, I agree. 6.5/10
See above. 6/10
Comfy orange. 8.2/10
Nice colors, but not a fan of the font. 7/10
6.8/10
Very neat. An unusual but welcoming color palette. 8.7/10
I like it. In my OP, there isn't anything wrong with vivid colors if they're consistent with a theme, and they are in your case. 8/10. Jealy of Artix
I always love your rices, and what you said truly applies. 9/10
Maybe tone down the reds of your background. 7/10, neat fonts
Cute. I'd say make your terminal background cyan like your desktop background though. 7/10
Simple. 8/10
Neat and tidy. 8/10
Love your rice almost as much as I love Lain. 8.9/10

Attached: neo1.png (3840x2160, 3.96M)

rip catte

DEs are bloat.

Arigato
She was my best friend

Attached: DSCN0069.jpg (4608x3456, 2.79M)

There's other stuff I forget to mention like custom registered manga thumbnailer

next step combined with a bunch I drew

I will be very sad when my cat dies btw, he's lazy and does not do much but I like him.

maybe u should look into replacing the thermal paste.
>Very neat. An unusual but welcoming color palette. 8.7/10
thanks.

Oh kek. Lazy=boring for a lot of people, but I enjoy the low energy sometimes.
My leopard gecko is practically a rock anytime he isn't hunting for live crickets, but he's pretty cuddly as far as reptiles go. Luckily leopard geckos live to 25-30 years on average in captivity, and I've had him for 4, so I won't have to worry for awhile

Attached: IMG_1055.jpg (2450x1634, 168K)

I'm sort of worried though that my catte is depressed. When he was young he'd jump very high but now just is slothy

cute gecko tho

i quite like bitmap fonts.
I agree with you about minimalism, sacrificing usability for style or space just seems useless. Nice colorscheme.
Nice icon theme

Attached: desktop.png (1920x1080, 43K)

Oh :((. I was worried mine would be like that, but I was lucky. Even past her healthy BMI, she'd willingly jump from my bed to my desk until the day of her death, a slope distance of about 2 meters. She was fat and 19 years old pre-mortem, yet always full of energy. It was an awful surprise to wake up to find her dead in her sleep.
Arigato

Nice, I try to bring toys or treats to my catte but eh mostly ignores. He seems to like it when I look at him and meows a lot so I do that at least