What's the veredict?

What's the veredict?
Why, or why not, are you guys using this?

Attached: Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 56K)

fucking SHIT compile times
no libraries for basically anything beyond CLI formatting
debug mode is slow as fuck for anything beyond hello world, but release mode is too slow for recompilation
no proper multimedia libraries
no GUI library

also, you are assuming my gender you patriachical fuck

Learning it for systems programming because I fell for the safety meme. Unironically though, because you can fuck yourself too easily with C/C++ if not careful.
> just program better

also, no stable ABI beyond the C ABI, so no way to create "Rust DLLs", forgot about that. Undocumented interaction with C++, try to get mr skrillex at the top to care about ABI compatibility, lol "jUsT rEcOmPiLe eVerYtHinG".

Ugly syntax, borrow checker is a pain, slow compiling.

Also I'm a white heterosexual dude, which means the Rust community hates me.

No thanks.

Rust is great alternative for C++, that's why Jow Forums NEETs hate it, because it shows their low IQ

1. god-tier error handling
2. god-tier safe multi-threading
3. Option types are the comfiest thing ever
4. comfy chaining (map/reduce/filter with closures, chaining methods, etc...)
5. god-tier package management
6. based build.rs makes most of Makefiles shitshow irrelevant
7. comfy enums
8. comfy pattern matching
9. no inheritance, only comfy traits
10. zero-cost FFI

however, big however, Rust takes time to get used to, you can't just trait it as another c++ since they both look similar, Rust isn't really for brainlets, just like C, it's much harder than it looks

Learn Lisp.

>god-tier error handling
>two different result types in the same function

Result is pretty based but it can be a pain in the ass to compose error types without Box or the like. Maybe I'm just a brainlet

no you aren't, typing can be very annoying but that's how static typing is all about in the first place, you sacrifice time to make the software more robust

I don't like the aesthetics of the syntax, the community is horrible and it's too unstable for my liking

WC++ encourages RAII and Rust forces it. RAII is fine sometimes but use it too often and it kills performance. Using malloc all over the place for every little thing is even slower than a GC, which is why Java outperforms naive C++ code.

The rust language itself offers nothing new and is poorly implemented. So what's left besides marketing wank and the community full of shills who harass everyone.

it's the same shit as C++ except even more tedious to write because of the borrowing garbage. shill for your failed meme language elsewhere.

> .. it can be a pain in the ass to compose error types
take a look at the failure crate, it has a few different methods to error composition which have positives and negatives, some don't allocate at all iirc

In OP's defense, women Jow Forums are as rare as straight men on /fa/. I think you're a trap btw.

No demand. Everyone wants fucking Java or Javascript, which is even worse.

You, sir, are an idiot. Borrow checking is the only single major innovation is PL since Type Classes in Haskell and Channels in Go.

This.

C++ has too much complexity. I guess Rust is a pretty good compromise between C and C++.

Go>C++>C>Rust
Period.

oh no it's retarded

Why are there so God damn many shills for this garbage. Just fuck off already

Attached: IMG_2923.jpg (500x438, 42K)

sorry, not everybody here is go-tier brainlet

>try to get mr skrillex
>mr skrillex
Top kek because it's true.

>Ugly syntax
No
>borrow checker is a pain
No, brainlet
>slow compiling.
Yes

>god-tier error handling
Yes
>god-tier safe multi-threading
May be
>Option types are the comfiest thing ever
Yes.unwrap().expect();
>comfy chaining
nice but not comfy
>god-tier package management
Not bad
>comfy enums
You said that 3 times already…
>pattern matching
4 times…
>no inheritance, only comfy traits
I hate traits AND inheritance, fight me
>zero-cost FFI
Is normal…

Anyway, in short you don't like Rust, you like Cargo and Haskell, it's obvious from the features you picked.

Niche like Haskell. The community is really nasty - what the hell is wrong with those people.

>niggers amirite my fellow rustaceans
>USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST

I use it.
It's fast, secure and has tons of nice features.
>cargo is great, it's just so much better than installing C/C++ libraries
>no 50+yo backwards compatibility legacy
>utf-8 by default
>functional approach, robust iterators
>no exceptions
>powerful type system, tuples, tagged unions, traits that can be implemented for any combination of these
>pattern matching
It's just C++ done right.

>fucking SHIT compile times
It's slow, I'll give you that.
>no libraries for basically anything beyond CLI formatting
False, you have libraries for pretty much anything and you can use C libraries too.
>debug mode is slow as fuck for anything beyond hello world, but release mode is too slow for recompilation
From my experience it's only few times slower. It's not like you have to run 100% CPU tasks all the time, you should not notice it.
>no proper multimedia libraries
>no GUI library
Just use GTK or whatever you'd pick for C. There are native rust libraries for both of these, just not that feature rich though.

Rust kinds of open your eyes on all these pitfails you can encounter in C and C++.

>forgetting about the Ashley Williams fiasco

>WC++ encourages RAII and Rust forces it. RAII is fine sometimes but use it too often and it kills performance. Using malloc all over the place for every little thing is even slower than a GC, which is why Java outperforms naive C++ code.
Rust doesn't use RAII for everything, only for things you'd normally use malloc anyway. It's zero overhead, it just releases memory at the moment your pointer goes out of scope, just like you'd do without using RAII. You have to explicitly put your component inside Box or Arc to put it on the heap and use RAII.

How'd you like polymorphism?

>How'd you like polymorphism?
CTRL+C
CTRL+V
polymorphism a shit desu, it's either binary bloat and slow compile time or runtime slowdown.
I hate everything related to polymorphism.
I still use it because it's useful but I hate it, it's also the most complicated part of Rust.

>Anyway, in short you don't like Rust, you like Cargo and Haskell, it's obvious from the features you picked
I never programmed in Haskell in the first place, Rust is more natural for me since I started learning programming with c/c++