Should I get this as a dedicated dosbox/emulation machine? What else are they good for...

Should I get this as a dedicated dosbox/emulation machine? What else are they good for? I like the idea of having a computer in this tiny little case, they're really cute, I could replace actual DOS and Windows 95 machines with it, right?

Attached: Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-ports-1880x1080[1].jpg (1880x1080, 165K)

Well?

Fuck off

I use mine as an IRC bridge (weechat + tmux and then I SSH into it), it should be suitable for DOSBox

What, why?

eat shit fag

Why do you need a dedicated emulation machine? Are you talking about fucking video games? Go back to your faggot board pls

Attached: unnamed.gif (563x261, 88K)

I have 3 of them. One of them does ad blocking on my home network, the another is a server with an HDD attached where I send copies of emails and other important files. The third one sits on my desk and I use it for just fucking around with.

>I could replace actual DOS and Windows 95 machines with it, right?
Depends on what hardware you're using. It can definitely replace any off the shelf PC hardware that most people use for legacy DOS/Windows. I've used Windows 3.11 and NT 3.51 under QEmu and it runs great. Haven't tested anything else but I plan on trying to emulate MacOS 7 (m68k) and 8.6 (PowerPC).

Attached: DpKN1ZZXUAEehdj.jpg (640x622, 90K)

I have mine (b+) with retropie and it works superbly. PS1 games run excellent, played Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere for like 4 hours on it today.

>PS1 games run excellent,
Is it too weak for PS2/Dreamcast?

I just made a RetroPi setup in a cool little SNES case with a RasPi 3 B+. It's awesome as hell. I got an 8bitdo BT controller to go with it too. I love it!

Attached: HcgEc7Kh_400x400.jpg (355x355, 21K)

>hurr lets make dis raspi emoolate muh nintender gayems bing bing wahoo lets a go
Don't get a fucking raspberry pi to emulate. That is the biggest fucking cop-out project you can do.

What do you mean a cop-out project?

It's a lazy, uninspired project for beardchildren and a waste of a perfectly usable pi.

What's a better project then?

I agree with this fag

There alot of better things you can with it. Like run a minecraft server.

Attached: shoeygoey.png (578x538, 414K)

I plan on setting mine up with pihole and pivpn.

I run pi-hole and OpenVPN on mine. Working on getting a static IP so I can run an apache mailserver. I might also install the program that let's it act as a surprisingly powerful FM transmitter.
Also going to have it dump nightly backups onto an old external

Getting a pi zero for making a pumpkin pi and poison pi penetration kit.

Any other ideas? I don't know why Jow Forums shits on them so much, it's basically a really effecient server.

>ad blocking on my home network
ublock on desktop, adaway on android
>server with an HDD
usb 2.0
>just fucking around with
i mean i guess

the only useful thing i've done with mine that isn't fucking around is running an octoprint server

>emulation
nah
like, it works -- but you'd want more power, certainly for win9x and the lot

>What else are they good for?
honestly, at this point, mine just gets used as a general purpose computer
it's not good at anything in particular, but if I can't be arsed to drag my laptop out of my bag or I need to use another machine for something, it's nice
it browses the internet at a mildly slow pace with chromium, it shows pictures, it plays music, and it shares files over smb (it's not fast, but I don't care)

speed
the pi is remarkably slow
it's slow in terms of CPU
but it's also slow with I/O, and that's the big issue with a server

if you can't or won't do anything involving used hardware though, a Pi isn't that bad, and it sure has better support in terms of OS, community, and hardware than anything else

You can't block ads with apps on things like smart TVs, plus it off loads work and you can VPN your connection to the home DNS server, so remote access and secure your phone from your provider serving ads at the network level.

>you'd want more power, certainly for win9x and the lot
Why? I can run emulators on my computer from 1996.

My pi runs ps1 games fine, just increase the video memory and over clock a smidge

>tfw own a raspberry pi 2 since one month before 3 came out
>try to find a use for it but it's too fucking slow to use as desktop (even slower than a 2003 computer)
>can't use it as server either because no sata ports
>gpio pins are super cool and hackable and I could technically do a lot of fun things with it but nothing comes to mind
>eventually buy a touchscreen for it so I could use it as a Jow Forums styled pocket computer
>realize how dumb that idea was
>literally gaining dust for years
>don't want to sell it because it's my only machine with gpio, PWM output and composite video
>never do anything with it

>>eventually buy a touchscreen for it so I could use it as a Jow Forums styled pocket computer
>>realize how dumb that idea was
That actually sounds cool as heck.

Use it as a rogue ap and walk around being a /hackerman/

LOL

Yep its much lazier than what Jow Forums would do, stuff it in the arse

>smart TVs
Do people actually buy those?

What's an IRC bridge? Info is sparse and esoteric for a zoomer like me

Yeah, sounds cool af until you put it all together, raspi + screen + battery + aluminium case with shock absorption and realize how incredibly thick that thing is, no way it fits in the pocket and my 9 or 10" x86 tablet ends up being more portable even though the raspi screen is only 5".
Instead of a neat device that fits in the pocket and can hold with one hand I ended up with pic related.

Attached: Jurk2xV.png (618x968, 530K)

So an irc bridge is a internet service that takes the irc protocol and connects it to other more modern chat services. e.g discord. The raspberry pi also acts as an irc bouncer, this is a program that is always connected to the irc server because if your client is not connected it will not receive messages from the irc server.

I would literally carry that meme everywhere, it looks great.

OH! So that's what Matrix is talking about, thanks a lot user I'm about to set some of that shit up

How does it emulate dosbox?

Would buy if priced reasonably.

>ask my ISP to give me a static IP
>they want +120€/month for it

why is EU such a shithole bros?

I may have to purchase a business account to have one.
ISPs are fuck heads no matter the country

i've had one for like a month or two.

it works well fore nes, snes, genesis, gba, ds, and playstation.

n64, dreamcast, and psp are hit or miss from game to game.

if you only want it for emulation, skip the pi and get an nvidia shield, those fuckers are running ps2 and gamecube emulators.

get the pi if you want a project and potential to do some other cool shit. like mine doubles as a printer server for my 3d printer with the swap of an sd card.

Or just set video mode to 720p. Visually zero different since ps1 games are rendered at 480p.

The sheild is cool, but the gamecube games I thought were china only? Plus your talking going from maybe thirty dollars to two hundred dollars, you can buy a PS4 for that

I only have like 9-10 n64 games and they all run amazing on my pi 3b+ non overclocked.

pi is 40 bucks, a controller that sticks is going to be like another 30, a u3 sd card another 15-20 bucks, a case 5-20 depending on how fancy you want.

i don't know about the china only thing, but i'd pay a little more for an emulation box that can run ps2

a controller with sticks*

I mean, that's considering not having a controlled already, and old micro card lying around, a phone charger. I guess it really depends on what you want out of your emulation box, if I wanna play newer games I would rather actually own and play them, or run them on a beefy pc with some graphic plug ins.

I'll eat y..yours, m-master... *blushes*

Die you pinko degenerate

get a Rock64 and tell me how it works