/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420), quadcore compatible, classic keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/T530; W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: W700.jpg (863x768, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/FUJITSU-LIFEBOOK-T4220-12-1-Core-2-Duo-2-20GHZ-2GB-80GB-Wi-Fi-DVD-RW-LAPTOP/292883928573?hash=item44313e15fd:g:dWEAAOSwDEBcHSsS:rk:1:pf:0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i'm guessing that's his wife's son

2nd for lolis

Attached: IMG_0954.rotated.jpg (3024x4032, 2.18M)

As OP, do I have a duty to write "lolis" as the first reply? I thought it was one guy catching every new thread..

Attached: 86940160.30000001_1536980090585.jpg (624x800, 186K)

i7-3632qm quad core in T430 yes or no? I'm mostly worried about thermal. Any user with quad core setup care to tell me the temperature?

Attached: 1495548561704.jpg (500x667, 134K)

I wish the ThinkPad A285 had 32GB of RAM. I might get it anyways as a smaller laptop. 8GB is enough for basic stuff on Linux.

Not sure where else to turn, but I'm trying to upgrade my old x200's HDD to a sandisk SSD Plus, and hit a snag installing windows using a bootable USB. I get as far as making the USB and putting it first in the boot order but all I get is a blank screen with a blinking underscore. I've googled other solutions, but none seem to help. I've swapped and performed clean installations of windows on new hard drives with this same exact laptop before (using this same USB), so I'm completely lost - I know it can't be that it's just not compatible with SSDs

Any help is greatly appreciated

Why would you want that portable housefire

if 8GB is enough, why do you need 32? why not 16? 16 is already a lot, and I can't imagine a single reason why anyone would need more than 16GB in a laptop... in a server, yes, but a weak-ass laptop?
try reflashing the USB as dd instead of iso mode, or vice versa, depending on what you used

I don't have that, but based on my bad experience with a W520 quad (hot hot hot) .. I wouldn't recommend it.. there are some who swear by that computer, though, and he's sure to comment next
unironically wait for A495, it'll be a lot better.. first gen Ryzen mobile isn't very good; read the recent A285 review by NotebookCheck

It's portable.

8GB isn't enough to replace my T430 with 16GB

>unironically wait for A495, it'll be a lot better.. first gen Ryzen mobile isn't very good; read the recent A285 review by NotebookCheck
I want smol.

What OS are you using? Try using balenaEtcher(Linux, OSX, Win) or Rufus (Win)

My 10 year old laptop broke down.
Looking for a laptop with

a good processor
16gb ram
4gb video memory

>X220 arrived today
>installed SSD
>installed xubuntu
I've used linux before, but it was ubuntu and a few years ago. Is Xubuntu good for a 2nd distro? I think after this I might try Arch + i3 or Manjaro. Is there anything else I should install in linux for thinkpads like drivers?

debian+dwm
gentoo+dwm

everything works out the box on thinkpads

I'm using Windows so I went with Rufus first then tried the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool (I've used both before), and I've already tried another USB (16GB) to no avail. I have no idea why this thing isn't taking my bootable USBs anymore.

Does your waifu use a thinkpad? or is she more of a Let's Note girl?

Attached: 1547013588853.jpg (2952x5248, 1.6M)

>Jow Forums sticker
wew lad

I use this laptop in public all the time and nobody takes issue with it. I had a good talk with an /a/utist about +tic Nee-san in the library a few weeks ago.

Well, of course. No one is going to step up and address you in person. They'll most like judge you behind your back.

Remember, /b/ is the face of this place, so people think you just spend your time there by default.

I don't care that much what people think of me. People who think of /b/ as the prime example of this site are not people I want to talk to anyways.

fair enough

why do thinkpads and anime go so well together

It seems my only option is Rufus, and there doesn't seem to be any option to flash as DD or ISO

>stickers with anime from aliexpress

Actually, I stole the designs from a few different websites and printed them out at fedex on sticker paper, and then cut them out using an xacto knife.

good question. I think it's just because this board happens to be on an anime themed website. All of the boards have an interest in anime/manga.

no idea but they just do

Attached: IMG_0141 (1).jpg (4032x3024, 1.78M)

both are enjoyed by people who have extreme cases of autism.

bento box design and autism

Cute iToddler btfo pillow
Great for watching 10bit anime and playing 2hu
Cute 2hus

Attached: IMG_20190109_221238.jpg (2688x1512, 556K)

Makes me cringe when I watch this now. Don't know why.

>Makes me cringe when I watch this now. Don't know why.
What did he mean by this?

I told it about stickers on thinkpad.

Thinking of buying a memepad. Will it be able to run Runescape 3?

FAST:
>Facial drooping: A section of the face, usually only on one side, that is drooping and hard to move. This can be recognized by a crooked smile.
>Arm weakness: The inability to raise one's arm fully
>Speech difficulties: An inability or difficulty to understand or produce speech
>Time: If any of the symptoms above are showing, time is of the essence; call the emergency services or go to the hospital.
Check yourself out man, I think you are having a stroke.

y-you too. i need to get 2 more fumos so i can have for each of thinkpads(6 in total).

Attached: IMG_0700.rotated.jpg (4032x3024, 961K)

t. one of four people that still plays rs3 and hasn't switched to osrs

Checked all positions, all right. What did you talk to the psychiatrist about at the last appointment?

I'm going to need 30 more thinkpads for all of my fumos. Not all are pictured. I'll make a thinkcluster.

Lol

Attached: IMG_20190109_223948.jpg (1512x2688, 526K)

it's the neighborhood dawg

pathetic

My waifu has no need for physical devices, but if she did, I'd like to think she would use a thinkpad for her main lappy and a desktop when she needs something with more power.

Attached: images(80).jpg (266x190, 5K)

Yes, that's correct. Him and his wife's son

Attached: 452345432.jpg (194x260, 8K)

Your waifu should consider purchasing a used server and offloading her complex work and large file storage to that instead of having a separate device.

Do you think lenovo will ever understand why people like thinkpads and bring back the classic design and layout?

mr touhou x201 guy may I have that wallpaper pls

Or just have 20 x200s running gentoo, distcc and distribute the workload.

Attached: images(89).jpg (274x184, 7K)

holy fucking shit that image
fucking kek

Attached: 1518869563364.jpg (240x251, 24K)

Here user, they posted it a couple days ago and I still had the tab open.

Attached: flowers.png (1920x1200, 1.77M)

can I join?

Fuck, forgot pic

Attached: 0109192311.jpg (3264x1836, 2.1M)

Any idea why my x60 has issues booting from usb? I've tried all the ports, as well as ports on a dock. For now I am using the DVD drive on the dock, but it's kinda a pain so I would prefer if USB worked. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's the fact that the drive is USB 3.0 but idk I thought they were completely backwards compatible

I've had a couple usb 3.0s that wouldn't work properly with usb 2.0 ports.

Should be fine I have it's older brother the 2630qm in my E6520 and it stays pretty cool despite having a larger die manufacturing process. Load temps are below 70. See if there is an upgraded quad core cooler I know my Dell had a different cooler for i7-equipped models. They are usually rated by wattage.

Seeking some advice here. Trying to resurrect an old 380XD I found for cheap recently, everything about it looks good except for the hard drive being dead.
This wouldn't be a problem except for whatever reason the fucking screw holding the HD bay cover in is corroded to shit and absolutely will not move. I feel like my only real option is to try and drill it out as carefully as possible.

Attached: screw.jpg (1572x878, 1020K)

that looks like a keyhole

user, i think that's a keyhole.

keyhole

Attached: 1540330776556.gif (518x558, 3.79M)

Based stickers

I want to dress Tripcode in a cute skirt and programming socks and have him sit on my lap while i brush his messy hair

Attached: 1539617959642.jpg (1280x1280, 797K)

>Wifesson700

>6 in total
thats it?

Attached: memepadsre.png (1366x768, 169K)

I'm using windows 10 on my t420s and want to install a copy of arch linux onto a partition. I have an ssd inside. How would you recommend me going about setting up the partition?

go into disk management and free up some of your windows partition and leave it unformatted
install arch to that

No me

Attached: file.png (757x598, 27K)

no answer?
no thinkpad has 4gb of video memory

It's you, isn't it?

>bought a thinkpad
>like thinkpad
>don't like anime and think weebs are kind of sad
Fuck. Was I supposed to buy a Latitude?

I like thinkpads and I'm not a weeb, it's perfectly fine and normal.

Anybody have experience with one of these?
ebay.com/itm/FUJITSU-LIFEBOOK-T4220-12-1-Core-2-Duo-2-20GHZ-2GB-80GB-Wi-Fi-DVD-RW-LAPTOP/292883928573?hash=item44313e15fd:g:dWEAAOSwDEBcHSsS:rk:1:pf:0

> Buying thinkpads
> In the current year
Lmao poor incels detected

Hey im looking for a thinkpad that is a lightweight ultrabook that can be used as desktop with a docking station. I would it to have usb3.0 and hdmi.
Is the thinkpad t470p a good choice ? or is there better and cheaper alternative ?

That's a really unfortunately lighted photo. The wife looks like she has a moustache.

You're like one of those glass half-empty fellas, huh?

You should replace the Jow Forums sticker with a 4channel one. Also i would think that pol is the face of Jow Forums these days

>needs a list to remember what devices he owns

Attached: 1517896697631.png (698x658, 78K)

the p52 does

whoa so many fumos, cute
cute desu

Attached: 1547120534379934.jpg (2328x1746, 1.45M)

Cute lains are cute.

Attached: 1528037487928-v.gif (1005x742, 2.53M)

Alright, I'm gonna buy one today, which one is better?
Thinkpad p52 or thinkpad x1 extreme?
Main use is phothosop with some light gaming.

Attached: 09-01-2019_14-50-51.jpg (1227x677, 336K)

I have a 380XD and that's the HDD Caddy Screw, not a keyhole

It's some Microsoft .NET lead dev, forgot his name. He was extremely annoying at every Build I've ever went to.

I have a work-issued T470 and have just ordered a X1 Extreme for personal use.
I was thinking of getting a dock, too. Is there a model that works with both those models?
Also do docks make use of the dGPU in the X1E?

>Is there a model that works with both those models?
no, t470 uses classic dock connector and x1 extreme and all 8th gen thinkpads dock through usb-c, although t470 also has usb-c there may be clearance issues so better check before you buy anything
>Also do docks make use of the dGPU in the X1E?
yes, why wouldn't it?

Yeah, I was going for USB-C or Thunderbolt. You mean physical clearance? I don't think that's an issue, the USB-C connector sits all alone.
> yes, why wouldn't it?
I just thought I better make sure...

dude your wifes been fucking a nigger

well yeah physical clearance, this is how the dock fits on the new thinkpads, I think on t470 the usb c is on the other side so I have no idea how'd that fit desu

Attached: 12.01.2018_Lenovo_ThinkpadDock_teaser.png (2000x1126, 2.35M)

PLEASE HELP!

need help? Can get a T450S 1600x900 8GB i5 5300U with small pressure mark on screen corner and very minor case scratches for $240 or £190 from a local shop. I have an L440 at the minute. Will it be a good investment especially if I can sell my L440 1366x768 i5 4200M 4GB to subsidize most of the purchase. I have a thousands of excess university loan money as well as savings, so it isn't a big purchase at all but I still want advice.

Will the thinness, better trackpad, ram, resolution etc. be worth it?

Attached: DSC00594-752x501.jpg (752x501, 76K)

Now I am more confused... that looks like a mechanical dock. I thought USB-C docks where just a box with a cable plugged to the laptop's port.

I paid 200 eurobux more for mine recently, do I'd go for that

I'm using a 3610qm in mine, I've got no issues. If you can, get a hold of the cooler for the dGPU models as it cools better, and use some good thermal paste$

Damn, if I could get those amazing prices I would hoard thinkpads like mad too.

I have the 3740qm in mine, but listen to . With the dGPU cooler, I get load temps of ~70 and idle ~35.

D I S G U S T I N G

Would it be safe or advisable to clean a thinkpad keyboard by immersing it in isopropyl alcohol and/or distilled water? I've got a keyboard that may be shorting and/or have stuck keys after a water spill and I am hoping to avoid needing to replace it, if possible.

no one said it was a competition mr hoarder