Is The Option to "Delete" a Relic in the Post-Privacy Era?

So I was trying to delete Skype messages in a conversation I had with someone when I noticed it only gave me the option to "Remove" the message. So I looked into the settings so I could set my conversation history to auto-delete after a certain amount of time, but that was missing.

I've noticed this with other websites and services too. You don't "delete" your account, you "deactive" your account, or at best "permanently deactivate" your account. You don't delete messages, you "remove" them.

Can anyone on the inside give me more information about this? This seems deliberate and universal. I understand the NSA harvests everything anyway, but why are these tech companies keeping our accounts and information and making it hard to delete them? What kind of conversations about this stuff happen at places like Skype and Kik and Facebook? Pic very possibly related.

Attached: 1540676876047.jpg (570x856, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2320840/facebook-sued-for-selling-private-messages-to-advertisers
cnn.com/2013/09/27/politics/nsa-snooping/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

deactive this thread. now.

Attached: warning2[1].jpg (480x384, 18K)

If you're in the EU, you can request that all your data be deleted and/or sent to you under the GDPR. Even then, you're at the mercy of them honoring this. They're keeping that shit for advertising and for anyone who would pay enough. And there's a lot of buyers, even individuals.

bup

Because other people have your messages too. You don't have the right to delete their data.

How can they sell my private conversations on a service like skype or discord, how is this even legal?

>And there's a lot of buyers, even individuals.
Can I try to buy all the information there is about me? How do I do that?

They don't. That guy is an idiot. You can't.

remove is literally a synonym
even if it said delete they'd still keep it on their server
deactivation is for clarity because well they wont remove them, they dont want to be misleading
google still remembers stuff you searched in 2004

another thing is that it's hard to actually delete information if you have a lot of it
they zero it out on a GDPR initiated request

uh

theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2320840/facebook-sued-for-selling-private-messages-to-advertisers

We keep your data so we can use it to generate analytics useful to targeted advertisers.
We then sell these analytics to said advertisers so that we can continue to fund the software you use that gives us the data in the first place.
The core reason you can't truly "delete" your online data is because then you would be denying us the funding we require to serve you.
You should know all this already, as the privacy policies are always very clear about it. However, the unfortunate reality is that no one ever actually reads the privacy policies.
Things were always this way, we're just being more direct about it now. If you don't like it, you have our blessing to start your own alternative privacy-respecting online service -- but it will take a miracle and a half to fund it without the help of the advertising companies.
Or, better yet, here's another alternative, and a foolproof one this time: Have you considered just talking to people?
Technically I shouldn't be making that suggestion to you. But I hate my job, so I don't really give a shit about that.

>google still remembers stuff you searched in 2004
I just got this a few hours ago. I wonder what sushimoot meant by this.I remember messing around with a free VPN, but it was very short and I never got banned at the time.

I wonder if its related and if its, I wonder what else sushimoot remembers desu. Do you guys think he sells our IP and information to marketers, like, it really is that bad?

Multiple marketers trying to figure out who we are and what we like, they build profiles and then sell profiles with one another. It does not work like this right?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-09 23-52-41.png (824x464, 85K)

You can sue anyone for anything. I sued your mom for being awful at sucking my dick.

>You should know all this already, as the privacy policies are always very clear about it. However, the unfortunate reality is that no one ever actually reads the privacy policies.
This is incredibly dishonest. You know damn well 99% of people have no idea how this works and would be outraged if they did. Your business model relies on the general public's ignorance.

>If you don't like it, you have our blessing to start your own alternative privacy-respecting online service
the Daily Stormer and Infowars sagas have proven that to be bullshit.

For someone who hates your job, you're sure well versed in their dismissive boilerplate

>We keep your data so we can use it to generate analytics useful to targeted advertisers.
>We then sell these analytics to said advertisers so that we can continue to fund the software you use that gives us the data in the first place.
>The core reason you can't truly "delete" your online data is because then you would be denying us the funding we require to serve you.

I discovered my first crush from school is studying to get into this field. Do you think a private person like her is able to read all the cringe shit I did online if she wants? Just because she works at the right company and has access to these stuff? It does not work like that right? Its not 'raw' information, r-right?

>the Daily Stormer and Infowars sagas
Wow! The fake news websites said it, so it MUST be true!
Go back to Anyway, I stand by the very last thing I said, that you have yet to address: Whether an alternative online service could take off these days or not isn't the core issue, because all online services, including ours, should just discontinue. What our innovations have done, is pretty much ruined socializing. "Hurr durr google this, google that." Literally just get off the computer and go talk to people, nerd. That's all I've got to say to you, your entire generation, my boss, and all of my colleagues.

>Wow! The fake news websites said it, so it MUST be true!
See how stupid and arrogant you people are? You didn't even read what I said, just reflexively yelped about "fake news" when you saw Infowars mentioned. If you were even remotely informed you'd know that I'm talking about how they've been universally deplatformed and Anglin and Jones have been effectively unpersoned by Big Tech. "just make your own platforms" doesn't work.

>Literally just get off the computer and go talk to people, nerd. That's all I've got to say to you, your entire generation, my boss, and all of my colleagues.
good solution dipshit. im sure your solution to the obesity epidemic is to lecture people on the benefits of fruits and vegetables. I have trouble believing you worked at any tech company worth a damn, you seem incredibly stupid.

bumping this thread

I'm curious to hear more

If you want a Skype replacement that doesn't hoard data and has peer to peer encryption for privacy, you can use Tox.

it doesn't matter if you're deplatformed when you're making your own platform genius

It does when the domain services uniformly block you, Google steals your domain name, and Cloudflare deprives you of their service for arbitrary reasons. Eat shit.

Because shithole countries lack decent consumer laws and you agree to the ToS

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I am serious. Have you witnessed instances of employees 'stalking' people they know just for the hell of it?

How is this legal

the NSA does it, why wouldn't Big Tech?

as I said before, if people knew what these companies were capable of they would riot

cnn.com/2013/09/27/politics/nsa-snooping/index.html

The NSA has internal controls over that and they fire employees that get caught. I don't think the NSA should have a right to harvest my data, but they do, and I trust them more than I trust big tech, because the NSA at least has an obligation to follow the law.

If I person I know works in one of these advertising agencies, what is there to stop this person from reading my shitposts from 2013?
I know google uses the contents of emails in the gmail service for advertising data. I wonder if an employee from these advertising agencies can read 'raw' emails. If they can, this shit is more fucked than I originally thought.

Why the NSA is more trustworthy, from the article, even though they shouldn't have our data:
>In many cases the employees who intentionally abused the NSA's spying systems resigned before they could be punished. Several were demoted in rank or otherwise sanctioned.

if it is *that* bad how can I buy my own data just to see what is out there?