Jow Forums math test

edsource.org/2017/at-cal-state-algebra-is-a-civil-rights-issue/582950

Attached: Gtest.png (711x226, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/
edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/06/13/a-bold-effort-to-de-track-algebra-shows.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's so fucking easy that it's not worth my time.

it would take more time to write the answer, than to solve it (which i did, in my head)

y = +/- sqrt(a1a2x^2 + a1b2x+a2b1x+b1b2)

such oppression

I had a bunch of university teachers that just wanted to stop teaching because as they said "new generations are too damn stupid and spoiled".

Remedial classes are a scam to suck more tuition out of students...

But did that article really have to say "capable students" fail high school algebra, or that STEM majors don't need basic algebra? :/

Attached: 1a56620e-324a-4ad0-9af9-3e2520eca586..png (1365x1023, 967K)

"solve for y"
This is the equation for a hyperbola. There are infinitely many solutions.

I solved problems like these in high school blindfolded.

I could agree until this bit

the real problem is US public education being shit

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-09_22-50-57.png (680x309, 66K)

>american education

Math is one of those things that if you aren't naturally gifted at, you have to sit your ass down and study. High school kids aren't always going to do this, especially if they have shitty parents.

>solve for y
it can't be solved, only simplified, whoever wrote this is unfit for being alive

>someone who can't do high school math should be able to get a college degree
Lmao
You don't need to have a finite number of solutions to call them solutions. You're unfit for being alive as well.

This is a meme. Paying attention in classes is enough to be called "naturally gifted". The problem is that the knowledge is not composed of unrelated bits of stuff. If you miss something, you'll have issues understanding many things that come next.

Assuming your teacher is decent and your classmates don't consist of wild animals.

It's easy to miss things you might have already learned if you don't practice. From my experience, those concepts decay pretty damn fast.

well now algebra II is great small talk and used often after class

I had this shit like more than 10 years ago, I remember almost nothing. And over those years I've never had to solve such problems on my work so what's even the point of doing it?

or reading the fucking book.
friends, family and teachers called me a natural and I was like wtf is right here in the book

math major here

laughing at all you dumb faggots

The issue is that "being bad at math" somehow became an acceptable excuse for not paying attention or bothering to spend even a bit of time to learn anything.

>Math is one of those things that if you aren't interested in it, you have to sit your ass down and study
Fixed

Same here
Literally noone is "gifted" at math. Math is something that human beings are not supposed to be able to learn, but our evolution has come far enough that we still manage to do it anyway. This being said, there's a difference between our ability to learn things and us being naturally disposed to learning things like math. Math makes no goddamn sense to our genetics at this point, and it will take literally hundreds of thousands of years to make a sizable difference on our eugenics. Stop spreading this meme and admit you're a goddamn lazy nigger. I almost failed out of high school because I hated math, but when I got to college I realized I was full of shit all those years and that math isn't rocket science (and by the way rocket science is easy so it's a bad analogy but you should get the point.) If I can go from a math hating troglodyte to a good student with a little effort, anyone can.

Attached: hausu1.jpg (692x521, 50K)

Expanded:

a_1*a_2*x^2 + a_1*x*b_2 + a_2*x*b_1 + b_1*b_2 =y^2

Isolated for y

y = sqrt(a_1*a_2*x^2 + a_1*x*b_2 + a_2*x*b_1 + b_1*b_2)

How bad did I fuck up?

I can't for the life of me remember how you were supposed to solve these. I guess you forget it quickly when you don't need it.

can i use google

This is what I had gotten as well. Are we all retarded or is it just that simple?

Attached: 49896679_2476556429053588_242061934441005056_n.png (474x409, 279K)

OK spent some time on it now. Did I fuck up or what?

(a_2*x)(a_1*x+b_1) + b_2(a_1*x+b_1) = y^2
sqrt(...) = y

It's literally just that... I'm a physics major and I feel like I want to facepalm so hard right now that it would brake my nose

Attached: Untitled.png (748x176, 27K)

Did it in my head in under 10s.

Are Americans really this bad at math?

The fuck are you talking about? This isn't even a test.

>i can't remember what FOIL stands for but me deserve college degree and big money just like smart people
Why do liberals want to make a college education even more useless than it already is?

Attached: 1547074576975.png (860x5600, 394K)

I'm a medfag and also passed a class that would allow me to solve this last year and I legitimately wouldn't know where to start.

>A recent estimate found that, among community college students, 50-60 percent of the racial disparity in degree completion is driven by decisions to place students in math remediation, according to an unpublished study by the RP Group.
Tl;dr of the article is that algebra is racist and needs to be removed from core curriculums to make society more equal

Kinda funny how asian americans suffered just as much racism as blacks but don't struggle with high school algebra. Really makes one think

That's you guys make shit like this.
fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/

I'm proud to be a mathlet desu. I literally can't remember anything math related unless I'm practicing every day, but I can remember obscure medical words I learnt ages ago and have never encountered.

Serious question, I had a bad upbringing and missed a lot of core principles taught in middle/highschool as such I can't answer questions like this
Any idea where I could go to learn?

The site WolframAlpha can solve things like this and if you pay for a Premium Accountâ„¢ then it can show the solutions step-by-step.

That article
>Nigs can't into algebra
>We shouldn't require algebra
Jow Forums is always right

Well, isn't y = everything square rooted

Attached: arg linuc.png (512x512, 51K)

khanacademy

Check the /sci/ wiki for books to complement it at this level.

Americans who are good at math are just as good at math as any other part of the world. The problem is 99% of the US barely even knows arithmetic.

Thank you

>It's not that an advanced degree should be an assurance as to the knowledge of a person
>More people should have them because degree means money with no intermediate steps.
Fucking libtards

hmmmmmmm

Attached: 100_6367.jpg (3258x929, 362K)

You dont need to practices tons. Look up spaced interval learning or spaced repetition and optimize your learning. It's literally a matter of time, your brain doesnt process and store things immediately on one go so if you're trying to cram it in you're wasting your time and effort

>y = +-sqrt(a1a2x^2 + a1b2x + a2b1x + b1b2)
Am I not getting something? This feels trivial so far.

Fuck, it's really just that, isn't it?
I mean, I could understand the argument that naming variables "a1" and "a2" could be seen as a dick move meant to trip up students. Something like this probably shouldn't be a pass/fail question. Still, if you've passed high school, you really should know what a polynomial is and how they work.
And yeah, you don't NEED mathematics in your daily life unless you go into a math-heavy field, but that's true for EVERY subject they teach in primary school. You don't need English lit, you don't need biology, you definitely don't need history. That's not why kids go to school. I'm not really sure why kids go to school, probably something dating back to how clergymen were trained in sixteenth-century Europe, but it's not useful life skills.

Consider that correctly solving the equation is a requirement and is not sufficient to be fit for meaningful civic engagement
y'all gonna die alone

Worked for HS Diplomas, why not BS/BA? We can extend [strike]public schooling[strike] taxpayer funded child care though to 21 years!

This has been implemented in San Francisco. 8th grade Algebra is banned and "discovery math" is in.

edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/06/13/a-bold-effort-to-de-track-algebra-shows.html

They might have a point. The gifted students should probably just be allowed to do whatever they want tho (since they probably like math and will do it anyway)

>I could understand the argument that naming variables "a1" and "a2" could be seen as a dick move meant to trip up students
Oh no no, they fully expect you to be able to deal with something like, you just haven't seen what it's like working with tensors

Attached: Untitled.png (1674x462, 47K)

"y" has two solutions: the negative value of that sqrt is the other.

Einstein notation would make mathlet's heads implode

Physics is for fags

t. pure math chad

I'm learning both

It asks you to expand the polynomial first

Why don't we just give blacks college degrees? They're not going to find work anyway, unless it's a quota hire.

This is always an interesting thing to read. Any more on how bad the education system is

If diversity was a strength, this article would be written that math was way too easy in college.

It's like you guys are begging to be bullied by /sci/

Why would you even need to expand it? Doesn't change the value of y.

I don't get what thlis test should prove. Everybody gave the correct answer already, aside from the constraint that the argument under the root must be non negative

I wonder why (probably using LaTeX) he didn't correct the y^2 with proper formatting

Attached: 4chink.png (1160x593, 18K)

I probably fucked up the solution.
(a1b1) / (a2b2) should be < 0 insted of > 0.
Hence a1b1 and a2b2 opposite sign

a and b don't have to have the same sign

yeah, this. would like to read more on the scam that is modern day college

I never said that. Where did you read it?

I'm was too lazy to write that a1b1 and a2b2 should have the same sign

lolwut is this supposed to be hard?

shouldn't*

Rather, their signs don't matter.

(a1a2x^2+a1b2x+b1a2x+b1b2)^(1/2)=y

Don't you just FOIL and square root both sides? Or am I missing something

Are there actually people who cant do this?

>FOIL
Yikes!
This shows that western Math education is no more than hammering techniques into a student until they remember it without a sliver of understanding.
Essentially, they've created millions of sluggish flesh and blood calculators.

luckily the chinks and indians are worse

Perhaps to find the intersection(s) between two curves. But General Form (where all equations equal zero) is used all the time so maybe not even then.

>expand
literally why

>solve
it's already solved

>high school math
American here, I didn't learn what FOIL meant until I was a junior in uni

Modern education is primarily done for political and social reasons, the actual knowledge is secondary. Even the knowledge presented has political ramifications... Like replacing sex education with AIDS education.

yeah so you are basically agreeing with him

Algebra will be hard to study outside of a quasi-classroom environment, you do need to hit the books and study. As much as I hate to admit it, Khan Academy is not such a terrible suggestion...

little hard to pay attention when your class comprises of 34 screaming retards that don't even speak english and you're so tired from waking up at 6.30 and getting home at 20:00 every fucking night.
but hey I still got through it, even though I had to compress 2 years of failed maths tests into 1 year while writing a ML project that used EVEN MORE SHITTING MATHS FUCK. I can't remember how to solve any problems anyway so what was the point?

I am a mathlet and I can only work with tensors using a programming language, I can barely remember normal algebra notation.

To be fair, the terms "complementary angles" and "seplementary angles" are very easy to get mixed up... And, oh screw it.

now solve for x

What's wrong with FOIL retard?

'high school' maths in the UK...
if you cant do this you shouldnt be doing any maths related course
not sure how it compares to american maths though

Attached: IMG_20190111_021443-01.jpg (4565x1997, 2.28M)

I did that on one test and immediately forgot it forever.

Wait, how come they can do subscripts but they couldn't actually do an exponent for y^2, it's not hard to do whatsoever in LaTeX. I have seen ^ used as notation for something besides exponents so perhaps /sci/ is fucking with y'all.

>Statistics satisfies the math requirement for transfer
>Statistics

Nigger please, at my uni, calculus 1-3 are required to even be able to take probability and statistics courses. What the fuck are they teaching them in those stat courses?

Attached: scary greek letters and shit.jpg (1023x792, 72K)

Actually now that I read the article, I think that the guy who wrote it literally just said fuck it, I'm not going to correct that.

The stock photo for the article is calculus not algebra, I'm sure that is the case.

America is going to fall to China this century because anglos were too lazy to pick their own cotton

This and I earned my degree in mathematics.

To be fair, actually enjoying algebra up to and beyond Galois Theory takes a special kind of autism. Analysis is much more fun.

Math is racist

Nigga we be learned bout those fields, rings, hairy balls n shiet. Ain't that some racist shit dawg?

Let me expand on this. For most people, you ARE supposed to study your ass off, and that's what I meant. How does that make me a lazy nigger. You're a math major, you should be able to logic.

Most people aren't gifted at math, but you do get those rare unicorns that don't need to put in as much effort as the rest to get the same result. That goes for any subject. That's what I meant.

Always kek whenever that pops up/I randomly remember it

My Algebraic Topology class had a 10th grade high school student who got bussed in from his high school twice a week just to take that one class. Kid was a fucking super-genius and I was struggling just to do ok in it. And I was friends with a guy in my high school who was very similar to that. These kinds of geniuses are fun to talk to.