/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 1531064702373.jpg (749x800, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-keep-anonymous-2018/
winaero.com/blog/disable-snapping-in-windows-10-but-keep-other-extended-window-management-options/
youtube.com/watch?v=PCd3HtRfQ8k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is it fine to flash BIOS with my external HDD? If so, give me step by step instructions on how to do it as it seems like it's not as straightforward as I thought.
My external HDD has lot's of files in it btw

does anyone else have like 5 COM programs open on windows 10 in the task manager, and have to force them closed because they stop explorer from working.

nvm, found a USB drive
It acutally contains alot of videos I made when I was under 10 lmao. That's over 25 years ago

How the fuck do you learn about hardware? I'm getting into programming which is great and everything but I'm not learning anything about hardware and I feel like I should.

Attached: 1546642976931.png (750x545, 492K)

I think I've made a development from my situation in the last thread. My speakers (mainly my right monitor) make a buzzing noise whenever I play any kind of game. It doesn't happen when I'm in a menu or loading, only when the game actually begins. I'm guessing it's a power/cable shielding issue issue with my new rx 590?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm using Voice Meter Banana with W10 in order to control the audio of different programs. However i'm using the free version of Virtual Audio Cable that only comes with one virtual output and would like to have more. On linux its easy to just use Pulseaudio and create how many you want, but its a bit trickier on windows.

Does anyone know how i can get a more virtual audio outputs without paying for the premium Virtual Audio Cable version?

Attached: 1543789460530.jpg (700x762, 151K)

How do I git good at web design? my sites look fucking terrible.

Whatever you do, don't listen to /wdg/'s lies.

Does anyone know if the Steam Friends portion of the Steam client uses a separate IP address I can block so it cannot sign in?

I hate it whenever you reinstall Steam, it automatically logs you in Steam Friends since the appear offline setting is stored client-side instead of server-side.

Attached: Friends.png (241x259, 35K)

Found a possible solution:

Block Steam Web Helper process with Windows firewall. It should prevent Friends from working, but there's no guarantee it will display you as offline, haven't checked.

My ALT key is dying. Is remapping a solution? Whereto do I remap it?

Just upgraded my 7970 to a 2070 and apparently the HDMI or display port to dvi adapters don't work with my catleap. Not going to buy one of those $100+ adapters so what monitor should I replace it with? Considering a 1440p ultrawide but not sure which i should get or if i should just get another 27" 1440 or 4k

i installed windows 7 in the way as advised in the sticky. i opted to do only security updates at first but i've changed my mind (i can disable parts of the telemetry later). i tried manually installing updates normally but almost all of them fail (including some language packs i wanted.) i tried doing some shit through wufuc offline and the updates did download, i rebooted my computer and windows update acted as if nothing has changed with the same number of updates needed/recommended. how do i fix this

me 2 i wanna know this as well

>How the fuck do you learn about hardware?
Expand on what you mean by this. If you want to start basic just think of some kind of project that would involve an arduino or pi and some external hardware. Otherwise you could look up some basic computer engineering books or courses.

Kind of a weird question, but:

in google sheets, I can make checkboxes that when checked have a value. Let's say each value is 5. Okay so I want to sum the value of these checkboxes from a total, and reset the boxes. However, right now as soon as this happens, the "new" total resets. Is there something I can do like a "calculate" button, that only references cells when asked, and leaves the new total alone after the original boxes are unchecked?

Do asian girls' breath smell like fish?

Best duplicate file finder/manager?

Attached: fuck.jpg (685x646, 84K)

I'm basically asking for books that would teach me about computer hardware and how it works.

Hur dur me likey Widnow. How me watch tiddies on computor?

I dont really know to much about it i believe The Computer Engineering Handbook is supposed to be good, not sure how intro that is though

build nigga

"computer hardware" is too vague, it is the result of a lot of topics
>theory
physics
electrical engineering
>design
computer architecture
>implementation
computer engineering

what a good DNS server to use that's not hosted by (((jerks)))

Is there a way that I can integrate k2pdfopt and kcc into Calibre? That is, when I send a PDF or a comic to my device, I want their respective programs to run in the background as part of the "conversion" process.

Attached: 1444670175173.png (387x452, 417K)

torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-keep-anonymous-2018/
Could you guys give me advice which VPN I should choose and which should I avoid?
The list is a bit long and I don't really see any differences between the most.

Tried asking yesterday but no reply. I realized it's Chrome that doesn't work with Vocaroo because when I used Firefox, it worked, but I can't seem to identify or fix the problem.

Pic related. When I click allow then done, it always reverts back to continue blocking, even when refreshing or not.

Attached: h.png (1840x723, 79K)

Is there an app that records audio and deletes it after some time, and when you open the app you can choose to permanently save the last n minutes?

Something like Shadowplay but for audio recordings.

Mine doesnt

Go to cengage and learn about operating systems.
That teaches you how hardware works

I suggest zorrovpn
All you need is an email and you can pay in btc
I think they have 60+ vpn's they give you keys for

Thanks user, take a look into it and it seems pretty nice, I'm assuming it works just fine for taking backups between fully encrypted drives. Is rsync the best for regular media files?

Solution didn't work.

Attached: previously on im technologically inept.png (1773x743, 132K)

I'm trying to create a new environment in latex (so that I don't have to type in "shaded, minted" all the time) and I'm getting a weird error.

The definition of the environment is:
\newenvironment{clenv}{
\begin{shaded}
\begin{minted}[linenos]{cl}
}
{
\end{minted}
\end{shaded}
}

And the error I'm getting is:
--- TeX said ---
Extraneous input ` \begin {shaded} ' between \begin{minted}[] and line end
\FV@Error ... {FancyVerb Error:
\space \space #1
}

l.86 \begin{clenv}

--- HELP ---
From the .log file...

This input will be discarded. Hit to continue.

Any idea what's causing this? I don't have any input between shaded and the minted envs, so I'm not sure why I'm getting that the error is a space.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.24.13 PM.png (1708x1524, 267K)

Is there a way to turn off window snapping without losing the keyboard shortcuts for moving windows between monitors and stuff?

new build RAID question.

tl;dr, can I migrate an already configured OS to a new RAID environment without reinstalling Windows?

>Background

>have 4x 6GB/s 2.5" 128GB SSDs I grabbed from work.
>2x 150GB 3.5" HDDs from old build (storage for BS)

I already built my PC with one of the 128GB SSDs for now. My plan is to RAID 10 the four of them to get 256GB effective storage, mirrored.

or, I could ignore the redundancy because SSDs are supposed to be fairly reliable, right? just go full yolo JBOD.

I also am thinking of RAID 1ing the two 150GB HDDs.

I have 4x SATA ports on my mobo, one covered by the video card. I bought a 4x SATA RAID Controller card to get extra ports.

my real question, if I connect the rest of the drives and want to start configuring RAID, will I need to reinstall Windows or will the OS carry over?

Despite googling this for fucking ever I only just found the answer after posting a question, I'm a stupid cunt.

winaero.com/blog/disable-snapping-in-windows-10-but-keep-other-extended-window-management-options/

are interested in CPU architectures and stuff?

A new 1060 Ti DDR5 6GB for 84 eurobucks on eBay, is that a scam?

What's the best way to learn how to touch type? I'm sick of being a typelet.

>This is me, now posting from clover.

Yeah, this is never going to work.

0. have mATX mono with 1070. Currently 3 out of 4 SATA ports available. One is covered by 1070.
1. Try installing PCI 1x RAID card, realize video card is in the way.
2. move 1070 down to 2nd PCIe slot, install RAID card.
3. Marvel at my handiwork
4. Realize 1070 is now covering 3 important headers.
5. Decide on sacrificing extra storage so PC actually works.
6. Remove RAID card, move 1070 back.

I'll be okay with two SSDs instead of four. I'd need a full size ATX board for this to work.

Attached: IMG_20190111_203530-1512x2016.jpg (1512x2016, 1002K)

Which model 2070 and 2080 would you guys suggest? Gonna be picking up a 2070 for the girlfriends PC and a 2080 for mine

I've been browsing but in reviews theres people also talking about shit being DOA and display ports not working, etc.

What is the best language/ framework for backend web development. Please respond.

Trying to get my NVIDIA drivers installed for my K1000M so I can access that sweet sweet 2GB of VRAM. Mostly for VirtualBox but also for some occasional vidya games. I cannot for the life of me get them to work properly. Last method I tried was downloading the drivers from NVIDIA's site, stopping the X server, and attempting to install the drivers through the .run file I downloaded. Told me I had to disable the noveau kernel which I did, then I booted back into the desktop environment and was met with fucking no changes. No NVIDIA settings or anything. It's like I didn't do anything at all. WTF am I doing wrong?

Attached: mug.png (640x480, 409K)

My wifi security was working fine with wpa2, then one day it stopped broadcasting my SSID.

I changed it to WEP and it started showing up again and changing back stops it from broadcasting, what's causing this issue? Thanks

whoops, forgot to mention I'm running Debian 9 on a W530

Can i use visual studio in linux? Not vs code
Will WINE work or do i need to use a VM?

440 burger dollars for an Intel NUC, 250gb NVME and 8gb of RAM. Is it worth it? Can I get something better for my money? I just want to browse the web so I don't even give a shit about a GPU. Want something to fit on my desk though.

Attached: chug.gif (450x188, 1.95M)

How/where is the best way/place to buy Bitcoin and Etherium using your credit card?

Depends on where they are from, but its not fish.
Its some form of fermented veggy

Damn straight.

I was on /b/ recently in desktop thread... And I realized that GNU/Linux is not most used OS...
You lied to me Jow Forums? I though GNU/Linux is as popular as Windows...

But annon, 2019 is the year of linux on desktop!

Whats the sweet spot on used mini pcie wifi cards?

im looking at used intel 3160 right now

Attached: HTB1hbWUb2fM8KJjSZPfq6zklXXa7.jpg (1000x1000, 423K)

You probably don't have anything that has that slot that doesn't already have built in wifi.

So I was testing another GPU for a while and after switching back and reinstalling drivers, a buzzing sound and stuttering started to happen and googling found something connected to realtek. After reinstalling the audio drivers the stuttering disappeared but the buzzing is still there. These are drivers that haven't been updated in 3 years, why did they start to cause issues now? Any idea on how to fix?

Why can't I be happy? I'm doing well in college I just feel like a husk. I come to Jow Forums because I'm afraid to talk to my real friends about it

for (int i = 0; i

pretty sure theres a mini pcie slot on my laptop right now
im just upgrading to ac. im getting cucked on 2.4ghz bandwidth

Attached: 55007i0775324BBE83BDEB?v=1.0.jpg (509x380, 33K)

Fixed it, nuking it with DDU did the trick it seems.

There is a setting to block auto-login to friends in Steam. In the "friends menu" settings.

I need get a new hard drive and I’m wondering whether I should even bother with a SSD, as well as whether internal or external makes that big of a difference.

All I really want to do is use it for music and movie storage, run both off of it, and potentially use some of the HD space for a VM. For this, I was just going to get an external 4TB or something along those lines. No internal, no SSD. Will that work or will I run into issues with speed and whatnot? I feel like it’ll be fine, but I want to check first.

what's special about the linux-amd-staging-drm-next-git kernal on the AUR? any reason to use it over linux-zen? any reason to use linux-zen over linux?

i've not upgraded my pc in almost 10 years, doing it now and i was shitting myself because whatever i tried i couldn't get any post beeps. i thought i'd fucked something up seriously, but it turns out there's just no internal speaker on the motherboard, it has leds instead. looking now i can see you can buy them separately, but i don't remember having to add one to my last one except maybe hooking up the connectors, was just wondering if this is normal now? if so when did it change and why?

how do i become a hacker

Attached: ma-tfw-to-smart-for-anything-10676366.png (500x399, 86K)

How do i modify a keyboard to also be a usb flash drive i can store my boot loader on

Is there such a thing as a guide for masm programming for an idiot? I can't seem to find one that explains things basically

ur dum idot

I've installed OpenWRT on a router and for the first time and there doesn't seem to be a lot of brainlet-oriented material on how I should change my settings. I've done all the basic shit you would do on any proprietary router, is there anything in the default settings otherwise that would leave me unsecure?

Attached: 1508036894517.png (503x388, 390K)

Is a possibility to burn hardware if the electric source is lower power than hardware need.

I got a radeon R 260X, i3 third generation 3,7 ghz, 2 cores. Will it explode

Attached: Yuru-yuri-s2-ep-10-008.jpg (1440x810, 158K)

forget to tell, the source is 450 W

I always see people cite statistics like that peanut butter can have 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams and one or more rodent hairs for every 100 grams, and are all like "if you eat 100 grams of peanut butter you're eating 30 insect fragments!" but surely the actual number is much less? I mean these are upper guidelines, right? It's not like they're going to toss extra insects in to meet the quota or something.

Using Windows 10 and my microphone is now quiet as fuck despite the mic level being set to 100. On a Lenovo t420 with a combo jack. Not really sure what else to try after reinstalling Realtek drivers.

Attached: specs.png (413x207, 9K)

Also looking into it it seems like these are meant to be a threshold after which the FDA will consider the food "adulterated" so I don't think it makes sense to assume every batch has almost this much?

Try wrapping it in foil

I'm getting a "Failed to load board configuration. Invalid Data" error on Jow Forums X. what can I do to fix this?

What's a good tool for building a host file to combat ads?

Attached: 1529362896747.png (1050x1492, 2.14M)

That's the threshold before feds kick down the doors and you see a factory in the news. Truly sterile food preparation is impossible, but the fact that people aren't dropping dead from eating peanut butter is sign that we aren't consuming too much rat hair or cockroach poop.

How come there are many vulnerabilities for intel chip discovered throughout the year but none of them allow for libreboot on modern chips??

what ad blocker should i use on a non rooted phone?

My opensuse leap 15 won't boot, I get a kernel panic not syncing DMA random memory could be DMA accessed. Anyone familiar with a fix?

Question about bent pins. I have never had problems with them, but I only used intel CPUs. I bought an AMD for my brother, it should arrive anyday now. Is there a difference to how you install the CPU? The intel one seemed easy, you just pop it on the socket. Anything I should watch out for with the AMD?

Whats a good torrent program?

I was thinking the last most decent version of Utorrent that wasn't spyware or so? something like 2.2.1? anyone got a link to it?

How does a router know which computer to forward an incoming packet to?

I got a new computer and haven't had to change torrent programs in a while so I don't know where to redownload old versions of Utorrent

What's a decent router for

qbit
deluge
transmission
anything but utorrent

why not utorrent?

Try replacing c with String.valueOf(c) in the if statement.

Tixati

as far as I know, Jow Forums X devs abandoned it a while back

I torrented utorrent pro using utorrent, it was 3.4.8 i think
now i use qbittorrent, same features but better interface

just google utorrent [version number]

Downloading from a browser on phone tethering is really slow but steam is very fast. What do?

how do you organize your academic papers library?
[first author name]_[publication year]_[first title word].pdf but looking for inspiration

How to fix NND comments on firefox?
It only show bottom half of them
right is how they should look like

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-12_16-42-10.png (1366x768, 771K)

it works fine on firefox but on chromium and chrome canary i get that error.

Trying to access data (pictures) off 4 years broken phone internal memory
LG E970, Verizon Wireless
It's stuck in a bootloop saying Security Error, power+up gives me download mode, power+down only prompts factory hard reset
Connecting to PC via USB keeps it in bootloop, it keeps installing drivers and then not doing anything else. I have the official phone driver but my PC says device not recognized
Incredibly important that data is not wiped. I've held on to this phone for 4 years waiting for some kind of answer

Should I get a Lattepanda gaming PC for the small form factor?

youtube.com/watch?v=PCd3HtRfQ8k

pls respond