Your best discount PC

Do you have a older PC that you use?
Where did you get it? How much?

I got Pic related on the cheap with a 1050ti because I work in a refurbish warehouse.
>i7 2600
>8gb ddr3
>1050ti, no 4 pin connectors (the total bus wattage is 70)
>Usb 3.0 card
>BT 4.0 for controller's (were going cheap, most people already have a xb/ps controller)

Attached: 41fN27m0_TL_1024x1024.jpg (500x500, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

andybrown.me.uk/2014/11/01/z800/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I got a stack of old haswell thinkcenters for £20 each.
They were pretty good, use one as a mini server

I use mine headless over the network. I have some core 2 Duo laptops that won't die and I use the MS remote desktop app to get the power when I need it.

I only use the remote app because it takes like 3 clicks and just werks

I got this desktop for free. I paid $20 for the CPU and around $30 for 8GB extra RAM for it. Tossed in an SSD and HDD I already had.

Forgot image

Attached: specs.png (840x296, 9K)

How much did you pay for it? In Serbia i made a similar machine (only gpu is 1060 6gb) and it turned out to be like 300$, but i bought hdd

I paid for it by how much it weight because I'm an employee. It goes for like 79 on our website though. The 1050ti was a "gift" from someone in the PC department. (I work with networking switches)

That's a good deal considering that I live in Serbia too but can't find deals for shit.

Attached: IMG-c347956f3c22249f9bdf29c16700bb9b-V.jpg (553x702, 70K)

does serbia not have a craigslist or something similar? or is it just shit?

I mean there is kupujemprodajem but its not simular to Craigslist but its a classifieds site

These Dell builds are the cat's ass. I used to have a high-end SLI rig but have just as much fun with this on the cheap.

Attached: Dell T1600.jpg (1500x2000, 715K)

Pretty much, Dell is hands down the best for pre-built shit. I used to have a huge ass grey dell that I used for 12 years with xp on it. I miss the days.

Some fujitsu with i5 2400 and 8gb of ddr3 ram, bought it for 50 €.
Added a hdd and gave it for my parents to use since they are brainlets who always buy super low end laptops and never even move them anywhere.

i'm surprised they have electricity

fuck serbia
sqiperia number nje

I have a couple Optiplex 9010 (i7 3770 / 16gb / no hdd) sff that I got for free. The 1050ti's we're $139, and the 500gb ssd was $49.

Good machines. My desktop is a Precision T1700 that was also free (i7 4790 / 32gb / 2x 500gb ssd, 365 watt power supply) that I added a RX580 8gb ($139) to.

Works well enough. When I need compute power, I have a rack of servers available.

I do, 16gb ram, i3 or i5, 1gb graphics card, doesn't start.

It might be the power supply. But! If I buy a new one and it doesn't fix my problem I'm stuck with it. I don't know what to do.

Build a new pc
Buy a new pc
Fix this pc
Bury it in the garden to safely biodegrade

:/

Questions :
1.can you change the CPU cooler?
2.can you remove the motherboard and put it in another case?
3.what should I do if the motherboard borked? should I replace it to this specific motherboard or get another one?

Attached: file.png (500x500, 177K)

You could always just ask around and see if anyone nearby has a psu you could borrow just to test it.

It was going to be an emulator/mame machine, but thought it's really not that bad of a pc. Had to replace dell psu for the new gpu.
Optiplex SFF
i5 4570
8gb ddr3
gtx1060 (pci x16)
120gb ssd
4tb hdd (x2)
Another 4tb and 500gb hdd not attached yet - waiting for pci to sata card.

Pics of the T1700?

Yes. Yes. Depends on ebay prices of said mobo.

The only problem is changing cases is propriety front I/O harnesses and power switch connectors. You may have to make your own.

im surprised you managed to even connect to the internet, but its understandable with everything being made simple nowadays
and theres also cheap smartphones

okay if I want to change my CPU cooler which size should I use (pic related for reference)

aw shucks, is it hard to do? really want to change my compaq case because the side went missing and I can't find it anymore

Attached: file.png (1366x768, 1.32M)

What CPU are you cooling?

i5 2500k

It's not SFF, the 9010s are.

I'll post pics when I get home.

In a Dell? Does the mobo allow overclocking?

I got a Dell XPS 8300 for free from my richfag roommate when we graduated university. He told me that it "stopped working" because it would "turn on and nothing happens". Turns out that the issue was a dead graphics card (Radeon HD 5870) that he couldn't be bothered to diagnose. Specs were really not bad at all: i5-2500 (not the k), 8GB of RAM, 450W power supply. I bought a used R7 260X for $60 and had a decent light gaming PC that still works to this day.

Using an i5-2500k, if you're not overclocking then the Pure Rock (not the slim) should be okay. If you're going to be doing OC'ing then you will definitely want the Dark Rock 4 if not the Dark Rock Pro 3. The Pro 4 is overkill IMO.

Attached: WP_2016_1105_006.jpg (768x1024, 101K)

Haswell desktops are increasingly available in refurb shops.

For laptops, Broadwell are popular too. Sandy bridge are almost rare in the refurb space now

>that shell
>that font
>that gui

Attached: 1505183846941s.jpg (250x212, 5K)

The hard part is the haswell cases usually can't fit a full size gpu or have proprietary PSU's and shit. The company's seemed to intentionally prevent people from building gaming rigs with them.

I have an ssf optiplex 3020 that I got from ebay for $100. Probably could of gotten a better deal. But my area sucks for trying to find used computers.
>i5 4590
>8gb ddr3
>GT 1030
>originally came with a 500gb drive, but I upgraded to a 2tb drive
>xbox one controller for emulators and gaymes

my job threw out a pallet worth of old Intel P4 era computers and also some intel i3 4th gen era Dell PCs.
i took all three of the i3 PCs.
gave them to my family.
im still rocking my newly upgraded i3 3rd gen PC. Didn't feel the need to upgrade

I could do. I was thinking of taking it to the computer repair shop for them to test the components. Hum. It's very annoying as it was a top 'o the range processor which now doesn't have a supported socket so if it's the motherboard I am going to struggle to replace it. Looking at the latest $1,000 off the shelf pcs, they are less powerful processors on a new socket which ... prevents backwards compatibility.

An iMac 2008 I got on a yard sale for $50. It turned on but didn't boot the OS, so they thought it was dead. Came home and booted it with a Linux live distro, did a HDD check and repair, installed Bunsenlabs distro and now I have a shitposting machine for the living room. Also got a MacBook for $30, it "didn't" turn on, but it did turn on, just the backlight wasn't working, just a bad connection, also had to reinstall the OS, but I sold it later. It's a good way to get extra cash, because macfags buy whatever apple stuff for a good money no matter what

oldstock thinkpad x230 i7 for $20 from university system warehouse

HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF for $60 on newegg as a home
media/datadump server. put a couple big hdds in it and it's been pretty great. came with a pentium g640, might upgrade to an i3 or i5 whenever i find one cheap.

so many of these old 3rd/4th gen intel office pcs are awesome with just some small upgrades.

OP here. I do the same with mine. I download all my torrents to it and just stream it from there. I got it plugged into the cable modem for max speed. I have Steam Link enabled to I can gayum on any TV. I'm sad to how much people spend on building their own out of "it's cheaper" but a 200 dollar run on eBay can land you some powerful hardware that has parts a plenty.

If you're going to be running them 24/7 the lower idle power of newer hardware ends up paying for itself in a couple years

This is true. Used office computers also run the risk of being turned on and never turned off for months. Like buying a used police car. It says it has 130k on it but the engine says its got 300k+ from running idle.

how'd you get the 1060 in a half height case?

Was probably a typo for 1050. I can't find any 1060s that are LP.

that's what I thought, but there's a few ways around it pic related (lol). Also the sff don't have pcie power leads so you'd have to use molex to pcie.

Attached: vo86-_u_aSrAz7S7iNFicvH09LNP09wWEF34wWvH2FY.jpg (576x768, 88K)

BRB, cutting room for a full size card. I have the 790 version but I don't care. If I don't have to find some shitty niche card to work and get a decent one for cheap, I will. RIP pci slot tho.

make computers compute for you user. They were made to move. Just do some reading about safety hazard involving molex to pcie and consider the PSU you're working with, should be fine though

I get all sorts of dells that look like that from the free rack at my school when its out, shits cash. Makes me wanna buy a pallet of workstations like these at the state surplus auction and build a cluster

I had a couple of these where they used a non-standard motherboard connector to the PSU. Office computers, not that particular model. PSU upgrade could be a good move if you can, as they tend to be under-powered.

I'm pretty sure it's a normal 24 pin. I'm not 100% but even if, these things are littered everywhere. I know HP has a fucked up encased power supply. My Dell has a grey generic psu with sata, molex, 4 pin and 24 pin. I think it's 250w

this. HP likes to fuck around w/ btx PSU and non standards. Lenovo likes to do it as well (my P300 is afflicted). Dell is hit or miss, but usually standard.
here's an interesting link to a guy who rewired his Z800 motherboard (PSU pic related) for a normal desktop.
aftermarket adapter cables are made for most of these but find an optiplex w/ normal ATX if you can (most MT models).
andybrown.me.uk/2014/11/01/z800/

Attached: 31PfUZk2XdL.jpg (320x240, 8K)

Purchased new:
1TB Seagate in main
256GB PNY SSD in main
6TB external on main
XFX 550W PSU for main

Everything else is Craigslist.

Main rig is now up to $805 spent, including monitors.

Attached: speccy.png (3961x1053, 423K)

>Do you have a older PC that you use?
>Where did you get it? How much?
>I got Pic related on the cheap with a 1050ti because I work in a refurbish warehouse.
>>i7 2600
gb ddr3
ti, no 4 pin connectors (the total bus wattage is 70)
>>Usb 3.0 card
>>BT 4.0 for controller's (were going cheap, most people already have a xb/ps controller)
Same op, except 16 GB of ram

I know they're a bit of a meme but I paid $85 for my X200T and it's honestly the best "budget" computer I've ever bought. Came with 2GB RAM and no HDD but I got 2 4GB RAM sticks and a 120GB SSD shortly after I won the auction and that's been my primary PC for years. I'm saving up over the course of this year to build a SFF desktop tho.

Attached: Thinkpad.jpg (1500x1361, 197K)

Got this old HP space saver desktop for like 30 bucks. I use it as a Plex server with my NAS now, works really well actually.

It's like Netflix but free. With torrents I have whatever I want.

Attached: Screenshot_20190112-170259_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg (2220x1080, 1.08M)

got a Lenovo E73 SFF with a 4th gen i5 and 16gb RAM for about €200. you can find them easily on ebay UK. it's very small and quiet, perfect for my audio editing workstation.

I got my brothers old E8400 that had an ancient ATI HD4000 card. I installed Ubuntu, but the fucker ran the GPU at full tilt all the time, and would double as a space heater. Now i just use it as a guinea pig when i decide to fuck around with a different OS

New question, I have a AMD R9 200 series, planning on updating this year. What should I get?

I have several older machines set up as servers. I've actually got a big walk-in closet with a standing AC unit with the exhaust and condensation line running out through the wall into the adjoining laundry room to utilize the exhaust port for my dryer and the floor drain for the washer to keep the closet at a steady 64° F all year.

Machines used as servers:
Votan - A8 laptop. 16GB DDR3, 2x4TB 7200RPM HDD In 4TB RAID1 seedbox/plex server
Heimdall - Raspberry pi 2B, 1GB RAM, 64GB sd, VPN server, caching DNS, and reverse proxy for http(s)
Balder - Dell Inspiron 531S Athlon X2 5000+, 3GB DDR2, 360GB HDD, httpd for pastebin, pomf clone and a web forum
Bragi - eMachines T6542, Athlon 3500+, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, failover for Balder
Fenrir - hp pavilion a1700n, Athlon X2 3800+, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, load balancer
Thor - hp pedestal server custom, P4 Era 2x4GHz Xeon, 64GB DDR2, 2x2TB HDD RAID1, backups for all servers except Votan, nightly scripts running with SMS notification for success/failure
Loki - Apple Mac Mini 6,2, the only one not in the closet (pun intended), C2D, 4GB DDR3, 4TB HDD, connected to TV as STB with plex client and kodi, also for browsing the internet from the couch with a Logitech wireless keyboard with built in touchpad.

Not used as server:
2014 macbook air, i5, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD running only Ubuntu 18.10, for browsing on the shitter and taking when I need a laptop I don't give a fuck about when I leave the house. My 'real' laptop is an i7 8750H, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1060 6GB fucking madman of a laptop that only leaves the house when I'm going somewhere I know Tyrone isn't creeping, but since it's a late 2018 machine it doesn't really qualify for this thread. Even the mba is pushing it.

>18 additional PCI devices
>11 USB Devices
The fuck do you have hooked up to the thing, my dude? How's it even GOT 18 PCI devices attached? The USB Devices I can see because of USB hubs and such, but 18 PCI? Are they emulated/virtual PCI devices or something?

lmao, can it even boot? last i checked 990s have like 180W custom form factor PSU

U just gotta believe. Yes, one day that pci slot will melt, but today is not that day

Is that one of those PCs that you cannot change the CPU?

Im still using a core2duo from 11 years ago. I built it at the end of 2007 and never bothered upgrading. Ive been thinking of getting a Ryzen

yes, bought it online not long after haswell came out, paid about 1000 good boy points

Attached: old.jpg (799x580, 119K)

Any recs on something cheap to buy that I can also semi-cheaply build into a capable semi-modern rig? I don't need top of the line everything, I'm just a poorfag looking to save a little money and still be able to run last year's games and shit.

I dont have older PCs but I do have older servers, I used to work for a repair company and are still great friends with them, I usually ask for shit they are about to recycle, the only thing I have to supply are the harddrives, makes my life really easy and my home server has never felt more comfy, plus it's a great testing bed for looking for bugs.

Attached: 5aee35531b9a0.jpg (640x568, 241K)

have the same mobo and cpu, it's great man

Dude, I litteraly paid 33 dollars for mine. Got extra parts too from a friend in the PC department. My company paid a bank 5 dollars a piece for 300 of them, and is selling them for like 89 buck online.

You can

Even last year's video games need at least 4gb graphics card. That costs $250 right at the bottom end. It's expensive.

Am garbageman. Someone threw away an AsusPRO P2520LA without a battery. AsusPRO seems to be their business line. i7 5500u, 8gb ram, 500gb hd. Looked brand new.

Took it home. Already had a compatable charger. Turned on. Screen was absolute ass. Some shit tier 1366x768 screen. Replaced it with a 1080 panel I found on ebay for 40 bucks. Got a new battery from china for 30 bucks.

Attached: 1317840_2.jpg (700x475, 38K)

You should ask the cops if it's stolen

>That costs $250 right at the bottom end.
nigga what?
RX 570's are like $160, most of the time even less.

Which model is cheapest and have enough space for a non-lowprofile GTX 1050?

tell us what's exactly the hardware you have and maybe we could help you, do it on the /sqt/. Specify all the steps you have done. Also, probably the battery is shitting you, try removing it and holding the power button for a few seconds then setting it again and then ask there if it doesn't boot.

Got one of those from the office that was gonna get thrown out it had 32gb of ram. Slapped an ssd and a 1050ti on it. It has two USB 3.0 cards that weren't working because it needed power pins connected. Gonna get a psu for that.

Got this one but upgraded to a 3700. Runs a lot of games on high media games. Good little gaming pc

I got this Optiplex 380 for about 50 usd, except for the graphics card that was about 25 usd more, including shipping from the USA. Here in Guatemala they sell older Optiplex 775 with 2 GB, Core 2 Duo, no graphics card and some old failing hard drive for over 100 usd.

Attached: 1517519950905.png (660x525, 33K)

>Optiplex 775
I meant 755, but you get me.

>Here in Guatemala they sell older Optiplex 775 with 2 GB, Core 2 Duo, no graphics card and some old failing hard drive for over 100 usd.
Here in Vietnam they are selling Dell Optiplex 390 DT (G620, 2GB DDR3 Ram, no graphic, 160GB HDD) for $90.
Not cheap at all.

What's with the hardon for selling ancient computers at ridiculous prices?
The other day I saw a Pentium 4 machine going for 115$
The eternal problem in our countries is that enterprises NEVER throw out their shit

Because dumb people are still buying them.
>I want to buy a cheap but good PC
>Hey, this one is a DELL Optiplex from USA. That's USA you know, so it's very good.

here. Here everything tech related is expensive. It's a SFF model, so it requires a tiny video card. The best one right now is the GT 1030 in pic related. It sells here for 156 usd, so I settled for the R5. The 1080TI sells for over 1300 usd, which is insane.

I mentioned that because shipping from USA and import duties aren't cheap. The Optiplex itself is assembled in Mexico.

Attached: 1533279000907.jpg (1367x1080, 295K)

It's a seller's market is why. People are charging hundreds of dollars for a P4 box because where else are you going to get one nowadays?

Bros maybe we should start exporting old workstations to Guatenam.

who says it has to fit in the case lol.
I just replaced the dell 250w psu with a standard 500w

I have a couple of cases that i might try to swap into even if he mobo is a different size or just butcher the sff case and see if i can get to 'shut'. It was always going to be open with all hdd's attached for the emulator/mame project so I'm not really worried about it. The psu is never going to fit so it's going to be external unless it goes into another case.

Attached: optiplexsff.jpg (5312x2988, 3.74M)

It's £276 at PC world this very minute. Which at today's rate is $358. While at Amazon usa it's $199. And it's probably a rubbish one and it's not 8gb which is what some game stats ask for and that's not even before a processor , mother board, ram , power, hard drive.

Gaming on a pc playing last year's games costs lots of money. It's not cheap.

As well you know.

>games ask for 8gb of vram
Maybe at 1440p at the least. Are you mistaking Vram and ram?

No, but want to get an HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF.

>intel 4th gen
>usb 3.0
>place for 2 HDD (3 without OD)
>place for a 1050ti low profile (can actually take the 75w unlike the Optiplex SFF)

For at least 120€ without upgrades on ebay thats pretty good imo.

I can have this one for free should i take it ??

Yes then send it to me pls

Where are you from ?
It might me registerd to a uni ....
I am UK based

I'm from Vietnam.

*sweats*